Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Just out of interest what heart rate monitor do you have? Thinking of investing in one... Hope you get over this little blip in your training soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Just out of interest what heart rate monitor do you have? Thinking of investing in one... Hope you get over this little blip in your training soon!

Thanks SS. I don't use a heart rate monitor. I just check my resting HR in the morning - you can get the digital pulse at your wrist or there's quite a good phone app. Can't remember what it's called and I don't have it on my phone anymore but you'll find it in the play store if you search for heart rate monitor.

Edit: It's called Instant Heart Rate (Azumio) and it's fairly reliable. You just press your finger against the camera but be careful not to press too hard or you block off the little capillaries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Never mind your running, or your low RHR, I envy your ability to be conscious enough to take your RHR first thing in the morning. :D

3m @ 8:31

Just an easy few miles to keep me sane :D Picked up the pace a bit for the last 100m and I'm feeling good. Plan for tomorrow is to keep 3:55 - 4:00 min/km all the way. I'm not going to try and bank time on the downhill bit at the beginning because I think it'll drain me too much

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Just an easy few miles to keep me sane :D Picked up the pace a bit for the last 100m and I'm feeling good. Plan for tomorrow is to keep 3:55 - 4:00 min/km all the way. I'm not going to try and bank time on the downhill bit at the beginning because I think it'll drain me too much

Best of luck tomo CM , looking forward to reading your race report. +1 re the downhills I think I go way too fast down them and then pay for it after. If only we could get rid of all hills :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

I think you should try and go 6:20-6:25 pace!

dazza21ie wrote: »
    I think you should try and go 6:20-6:25 pace!
    :P

This is an equal opportunities log! Gotta give the old metric system its day in the sun

Also 6:20 is a bit too fast ;)

:P

This is an equal opportunities log! Gotta give the old metric system its day in the sun

Also 6:20 is a bit too fast ;)

6:10 would be too fast but 6:20....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Best of luck tomorrow!!! Look forward to the report :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Good luck tomorrow, banish any mid-race demons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck career_move. Tear up those roads tomorrow. Show us novices how it's done;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Kick-Ass tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

All out from the start CM, leave nothing behind you on the first km... Don't listen to the others, sure sub 20 is guaranteed!:D

I was in Raheny this morning and was seriously tempted to push it for the 19:59 but got a bit of sense and went a bit easier. Seriously though, best of luck with the run!

You're well able, K, and you've the training done. All you need is for it to be your day. I really hope it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    You're well able, K, and you've the training done. All you need is for it to be your day. I really hope it is.

+1 to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Awaits result......:)

Aimman wrote: »
    Awaits result......:)

21:34 :(

21:34 :(

:( indeed. Sorry to hear that K. Next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sorry to hear that K, it's disappointing for sure. It's so frustrating when races don't go your way and you can't pinpoint why. All I'll say is you haven't been feeling 100% lately and in sure that played a part today. Honestly? I think you'd be better taking a few weeks, get back to your amazing best and then take another stab at the 5k. This is only a glitch, it'll pass.

Target: 19:5x

Actual: chip - 21:33 (21:43 gun)

Garmin here

What happened?

I was at the start at about 9:45 and I was walking around to keep warm when I met raycun and davemcmahon. They were lined up in the section that was sub 17 min but I said to Dave I was going to move back a bit because I didn't feel too comfortable with the speedsters. Luckily Dave told me not to go back to the >19 min section because nobody was lined up where they should be. The gun went and Dave took off like a bullet. In spite of Belcarra's great advice :rolleyes: (thanks dude :P) I was sticking to my plan of 3:55/km. I'm glad I had that plan sorted in my head because like pacman says the start is downhill and the temptation is to fly off. I looked at my watch after about 50m and I was at 3:20 pace. Didn't have a clue how fast that was but I was happy that I was running comfortably at that pace and still could slow down. I maybe slowed too much though because the first k was 4:02 but I was happy because I was running easily. I fell in behind a guy with a bros pearse singlet on and he became my pacer. Second k 3:58. I'm still happy and I'm thinking lovely stuff we'll keep this up for another 2 and a half k and then sprint finish will get you the sub 20. About halfway through the second k I get a stitch. Not ideal. I'm managing it with deep breaths and I'm keeping with my 'pacer' so not too concerned. I think there's a bit of a slight incline here anyway so I'm thinking I'll be grand again in a couple of minutes. 3rd k is 4:13 though and it looks like the sub 20 is gone but I'm still on for a pb so happy enough. The stitch is there all the time and towards the end of the 3rd k it gets a bit more uncomfortable. I have to slow a bit and I lose my 'pacer'. I've stopped looking at the watch but the 4th k is 4:25. I can still get a pb though and the finish is downhill so I pick up the pace and I'm running as fast as I can when I start to hyperventilate. I don't know if this happens to anyone else but I used to do it when I was a kid and I got in a temper. It also happened with about 500m to go in the Waterford HM. I lose total control of my breathing and instead of engaging my diaphragm and taking in lots of oxygen I just start taking short shallow breaths and making a noise like a hippopotamus. I'm not getting any oxygen and I can't fix it when I'm running so I have to stop before I collapse. I bend over and I take 8 big deep breaths and I'm able to slow down my breathing so I start a slow jog. With about 600m to go I'm pretty much back to normal and I pick up the pace to finish with 4:38

Did I cry? No not today :D

Am I disappointed? Yes :(

I woke this morning before my alarm clock well rested and full of energy. Heart rate 41. I couldn't find my keys just like Limerick. Turned out they were in my bag just like Limerick. The omens were good!!I know my session during the week was average but I thought I was back in really good form today. The 2k warm up I did was slightly negative in that I was felt like I was running faster than I was but then when I did a few strides I felt good so I put in down to the grass. September has not been good to me. 3 crap sessions, 1 dismal race and 1 average race.

On the plus side Mireya won in Listowel (go Mireya :D:D) and I got a new coach which I'm really excited about (go me :D:D)

• Advertisement

Sorry you were disappointed today K, just write September off as one of those months that will make the good ones even sweeter :D Hey the hyperventilating thing sounds mad, have you checked this out with your doc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

At least September is over tomorrow K! :pac: Sometimes it just goes like that - after a great spell you've just had a couple of rough weeks. Just put it behind you and focus on next race!

Runchick wrote: »
    have you checked this out with your doc?

Haha :D My doctor would only tell me I shouldn't be running that fast :D

I looked at my watch after about 50m and I was at 3:20 pace. Didn't have a clue how fast that was......
    Bet you would have known what 5:21 pace meant :D
    and I got a new coach
    ?????

Chin up, a few tough weeks can't take away from an otherwise good year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

K sorry ur disappointed today. I reckon d body wants some easy running for a couple of weeks wit no sessions an no races. Jus run for fun wit no watch for 2 weeks an see what happens. You've had some 12 mths since dis time last year when training for 1st marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Target: 19:5x

Actual: chip - 21:33 (21:43 gun)

Garmin here

What happened?

I was at the start at about 9:45 and I was walking around to keep warm when I met raycun and davemcmahon. They were lined up in the section that was sub 17 min but I said to Dave I was going to move back a bit because I didn't feel too comfortable with the speedsters. Luckily Dave told me not to go back to the >19 min section because nobody was lined up where they should be. The gun went and Dave took off like a bullet. In spite of Belcarra's great advice :rolleyes: (thanks dude :P) I was sticking to my plan of 3:55/km. I'm glad I had that plan sorted in my head because like pacman says the start is downhill and the temptation is to fly off. I looked at my watch after about 50m and I was at 3:20 pace. Didn't have a clue how fast that was but I was happy that I was running comfortably at that pace and still could slow down. I maybe slowed too much though because the first k was 4:02 but I was happy because I was running easily. I fell in behind a guy with a bros pearse singlet on and he became my pacer. Second k 3:58. I'm still happy and I'm thinking lovely stuff we'll keep this up for another 2 and a half k and then sprint finish will get you the sub 20. About halfway through the second k I get a stitch. Not ideal. I'm managing it with deep breaths and I'm keeping with my 'pacer' so not too concerned. I think there's a bit of a slight incline here anyway so I'm thinking I'll be grand again in a couple of minutes. 3rd k is 4:13 though and it looks like the sub 20 is gone but I'm still on for a pb so happy enough. The stitch is there all the time and towards the end of the 3rd k it gets a bit more uncomfortable. I have to slow a bit and I lose my 'pacer'. I've stopped looking at the watch but the 4th k is 4:25. I can still get a pb though and the finish is downhill so I pick up the pace and I'm running as fast as I can when I start to hyperventilate. I don't know if this happens to anyone else but I used to do it when I was a kid and I got in a temper. It also happened with about 500m to go in the Waterford HM. I lose total control of my breathing and instead of engaging my diaphragm and taking in lots of oxygen I just start taking short shallow breaths and making a noise like a hippopotamus. I'm not getting any oxygen and I can't fix it when I'm running so I have to stop before I collapse. I bend over and I take 8 big deep breaths and I'm able to slow down my breathing so I start a slow jog. With about 600m to go I'm pretty much back to normal and I pick up the pace to finish with 4:38

Did I cry? No not today :D

Am I disappointed? Yes :(

I woke this morning before my alarm clock well rested and full of energy. Heart rate 41. I couldn't find my keys just like Limerick. Turned out they were in my bag just like Limerick. The omens were good!!I know my session during the week was average but I thought I was back in really good form today. The 2k warm up I did was slightly negative in that I was felt like I was running faster than I was but then when I did a few strides I felt good so I put in down to the grass. September has not been good to me. 3 crap sessions, 1 dismal race and 1 average race.

On the plus side Mireya won in Listowel (go Mireya :D:D) and I got a new coach which I'm really excited about (go me :D:D)

Bet Mireya hasnt been running everyday for a year !!! Have a word with the horse and ask her why she eats and sleeps in the meadow all summer!! Then do likewise for a few weeks and you'll beat Mireya in a 5k not to mind 20 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry to hear that yesterday didn't pan out the way you wanted K, I know the feeling. I was so busy shouting and cheering for your 'pacer' that I only saw you at the very last minute, but I did manage some sort of a cheer for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

So sorry it didn't go to plan K and I'm delighted you are doing the sensible thing and putting it behind you and moving on. I'd definitely echo what everyone has said about maybe taking a break, you've been flat out for a long, long time. A couple of weeks of easy running will do you the world of good (I know from experience that this works:))

tomred1N wrote: »
    Then do likewise for a few weeks and you'll beat Mireya in a 5k not to mind 20 minutes!
    Mireya races at 2:03min/mi pace.....no chance of me laying up with her :P
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that yesterday didn't pan out the way you wanted K, I know the feeling. I was so busy shouting and cheering for your 'pacer' that I only saw you at the very last minute, but I did manage some sort of a cheer for you! :)

It was only after the race it dawned on me that it was you - I thought there must have been another Kate racing near me :D
    Marthastew wrote: »
    A couple of weeks of easy running will do you the world of good (I know from experience that this works:))

Thanks. That's the plan anyway

Monday:

Rest - had a pain in my right side all day. I really should listen more to my body when it's telling me it doesn't want to do stuff :D

Month|Miles
    Jan|150.4
    Feb|205
    Mar|210
    Apr|193
    May|125.6
    Jun|156
    Jul|200
    Aug|227
    Sept|120
    Total|1587

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Tough break on the 5k. Disappointed for you.

On the upside, at least you're running!

On the upside, at least you're running!

Amen. Oh to be young, healthy, fit and able to run.

Amen. Oh to be young, healthy, fit and able to run.

You forgot good looking ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Mireya races at 2:03min/mi pace.....no chance of me laying up with her :P

Do you wear the Garmin when racing her? The HR Monitor strap must be huge!

Aimman wrote: »
    Do you wear the Garmin when racing her? The HR Monitor strap must be huge!
    Haha :D Nah just worked that out with old fashioned maths :D

That's over hurdles though. She's a bit faster on the flat ;)

You forgot good looking ;)

Obviously I couldn't forget - just didn't want to come across too Gavlor-and-Blockic.

5k in 30:09 (9:42m/m)

I forgot to switch my watch back to miles. This was yoga running as I was practising my deep breathing. The pain in my side was gone this morning but it came back when I was in work. The deep breathing when I was running got rid of it though and it's fine since :)

I was thinking a good bit about the hyperventilating - I'd prefer if it didn't happen again!
    So this is my theory: normal breathing the intercostal muscles and diaphragm move the ribcage up and out and the lungs fill with air. I got the stitch on Sunday because of decreased blood supply to the intercostal muscles/diaphragm causing them to cramp?? I don't think it was food related anyway because I had my breakfast (tea, toast and a banana) at 6 a.m and race was at 10 a.m. and I did a good warm up and kept warm at the start by moving around. Maybe my muscles were already a bit fatigued because I was a bit under the weather?

After I got the stitch, I kept running at pretty much the same effort levels even though the pace did drop. The pain got a bit worse after 3.5k and I consciously slowed a bit. That helped but the pain didn't completely go away. When the downhill bit came around 4k I made a big effort to pick up the pace. Intercostal muscles/diaphragm go into spasm and I start to hyperventilate. Then I stop completely and take 8 deep breaths (would have been 10 except somebody running by said "come on we're nearly there" and that got me moving again :D). Started a slow jog and I was still making a weird noise when I was breathing but I was getting oxygen. Then with 600m to go breathing returns to normal and I'm able to 'sprint' to the finish.

So considering this also happened in Waterford HM when I was under a fair bit of pressure I think I need to be a bit more careful about the amount of stress I put myself under when I'm racing and not race when I'm not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Obviously I couldn't forget - just didn't want to come across too Gavlor-and-Blockic.

Sleazy?!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Sleazy?!

Your words. I was thinking more "admiring".

• Advertisement

4m @ 9:08

I managed to get out during a dry spell thankfully. Can't believe it's so warm! Legs felt a bit more tired than yesterday even though the pace is faster :confused: I did some stretches and yoga last night so maybe they were just tired from that

4m @ 8:40

Busy today. I'm glad I did this in the morning because it's spilling rain now. Although it did put me under pressure time wise and then I was racing in Clonmel this afternoon and there was a really bad road crash between Fethard and Clonmel. Had to go back and around and it took a good while. Arrived at the track 35 minutes before my race and had to boot it in from the car park with my heavy bag and saddle. Running along and I've forgotten my belt so have to hold my jeans up with my other hand to stop them falling down. But I made it.....just :D Didn't do any good though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

You should have gone straight to Clonmel this morning and ran around the race course!

Beef wrote: »
    You should have gone straight to Clonmel this morning and ran around the race course!

Ground was too heavy ;)

3m @ 10:32

Recovery run. Life is good :D

6m @ 8:32

Should have done this slower because my breathing wasn't fantastic. Kept telling myself to slow down but my legs weren't cooperating too well.

Edit: Had a bit of a moan when I came back but I've copped myself on now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Would you consider taking a few days off totally to let the body recharge?

Worth a shot IMO

blockic wrote: »
    Would you consider taking a few days off totally to let the body recharge?

Worth a shot IMO

No I'm not doing that but thanks. If I'd gone the right pace I wouldn't feel so useless so it's my own fault. Karma ;)

4m @ 9:32

Very tired today. Had to head to bed for a Sunday afternoon siesta :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Afternoon siesta? Tired on every run?

Take a proper break for the love of god

Sounds like wise advice there from Gav...bloody hard to do though when running becomes part of who you are :) Are you heading to Dublin on 28th??

• Advertisement
Advertisement