Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Gavlor wrote: »
    Afternoon siesta? Tired on every run?

Take a proper break for the love of god

No I'm not tired on every run. Just today was tired all day but not when
    I was running. I'll just slow it down next week and I'll be grand.

I need to run or I'll kill my 2yo nephew who's visiting until xmas :o
    Runchick wrote: »
    Sounds like wise advice there from Gav...bloody hard to do though when running becomes part of who you are :)Are you heading to Dublin on 28th??
    Hopefully will be going to Galway that day with Mireya but if she's not racing I'll come up and cheer ye on :)

3m @ 10:31

I was just going to do my runs on the Q T this week but I'm going to risk incurring the wrath of Blockic, Gavlor, Runchick etc etc and keep logging them :D This was grand - legs were good, breathing was ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I was just going to do my runs on the Q T this week but I'm going to risk incurring the wrath of Blockic, Gavlor, Runchick etc etc and keep logging them :D This was grand - legs were good, breathing was ok

That's not a run, that's a brisk walk. That is allowed ;)

Tuesday:

4m @ 9:25

Breathing is only average. I'm blaming my brother for bringing some nasty virus home with him from Bangkok. RHR 50 :eek:

Wednesday:

5m @ 9:18

Lovely morning for running. Still t-shirt weather just about. I thought I was breathing better today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Tuesday:

4m @ 9:25

Breathing is only average. I'm blaming my brother for bringing some nasty virus home with him from Bangkok. RHR 50 :eek:

Wednesday:

5m @ 9:18

Lovely morning for running. Still t-shirt weather just about. I thought I was breathing better today.

When is it not T-shirt weather? :confused::)

dazza21ie wrote: »
    When is it not T-shirt weather? :confused::)
    When you have frost bite in your fingers.....that's woolly hat weather ;)

4m easy + 6 x 100m strides (walk back rec)

Easy miles: 9:43, 9:21, 8:59, 9:29

Strides: 27, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26

Strides are fun. I like strides :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

4m easy + 6 x 100m strides (walk back rec)

Easy miles: 9:43, 9:21, 8:59, 9:29

Strides are fun. I like strides :D

That's exactly my plan for this evening so hopefully I have the same positive glow afterwards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

How do you measure your strides c_m, do you use a track or what? When I do them I find I'm totally guessing the distance and find something in the distance like a lamp post to run towards. I couldn't be doing with fiddling with the watch for .06 of a mile. :)

Maybe I need to incorporate the track on my longer runs to be a bit more scientific about things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Beef wrote: »
    How do you measure your strides c_m, do you use a track or what? When I do them I find I'm totally guessing the distance and find something in the distance like a lamp post to run towards. I couldn't be doing with fiddling with the watch for .06 of a mile. :)

Maybe I need to incorporate the track on my longer runs to be a bit more scientific about things.

I wouldn't worry too much about it strides are just an informal way of helping with turnover - paces / distance wouldn't be of huge significance (though I wouldn't recommend 800m strides mind you :D). Anything between 60-120m is perfect.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    That's exactly my plan for this evening so hopefully I have the same positive glow afterwards...

Sure you will ......

"If you can see it in your head you can hold it in your hand" ;)

There's a little bridge near the house and I run from there to the yard gate and happily enough that works out as 0.06/0.07 of a mile :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

"If you can see it in your head you can hold it in your hand" ;):D

Durrttyyyyyyy....... :D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Durrttyyyyyyy....... :D

Only if you think like digger2d2 :P

3m @ 10:32

Recovery runs rock :D Heart rate has been high all week. My poxy nephew is coughing like a chronic smoker and likes to wipe his nose on my sleeve if I'm not watching :mad: Weighed myself this morning - 60kg. Pretty much what I expected. I did some stretches and some yoga there now and my left soleus is still a lot more flexible than my right. Note to self: do stretches more than once a week :rolleyes:

6m @ 9:02

It was a bit milder this morning so I didn't really need the fleece and gloves! RHR 42 => Managed 4 sub 9 minute miles this morning without my lungs collapsing. Now that is progress :D

6m @ 9:01

The comeback continues. RHR 41 :D

Monday:

Rest

Tuesday:

5m @ 9:01

Today is a very sad day. One of my favourite horses fractured his leg on the gallops and had to be put to sleep. It never happens to the horrible ba$tard$. Always the nice ones. I felt a bit better after this run. Had to keep slowing myself down for a change!

6m easy + 6 x 100m strides (walk back rec)

Easy miles: 8:48, 9:03, 9:04, 9:01, 9:05, 9:01

Feeling much stronger this week. Breathing is better and easy running is easier :D

Easy miles: 8:48, 9:03, 9:04, 9:01, 9:05, 9:01

Feeling much stronger this week. Breathing is better and easy running is easier :D

Have you been able to put a finger on what broke you yet?

• Advertisement

Have you been able to put a finger on what broke you yet?

My suspicions lie with my brother and his family. They live in Bangkok but they came home for a couple of months in the middle of Sept and I think they brought some disease with them. I was never really sick but Mum has been really breathless for the last 4 weeks. Chest xrays were all clear and she's on steroids and antibiotics now

My suspicions lie with my brother and his family. They live in Bangkok but they came home for a couple of months in the middle of Sept and I think they brought some disease with them. I was never really sick but Mum has been really breathless for the last 4 weeks. Chest xrays were all clear and she's on steroids and antibiotics now

Maybe take some precautions next time they visit

Had to go to a meeting last night and only got 5 hours sleep so felt a bit tired for the first mile. Woke up pretty quickly though when I was ambushed by 4 terriers and a lurcher :mad: Truth be told they were out for revenge because the last time I ran past my kicks connected with two of the terriers. Must arm myself with a big stick next time ;)

I had a big slice of cake and a glass of milk before I left. Not an intelligent thing to do. Not intelligent at all! I probably could have coped ok with the cake on its own but eating dairy products before I run gives me diarrhoea when I run :eek: How did I not remember this? Lucky for me I live in the depths of rural Ireland :D

Measured the two hills on this route:
    1) 570m
    2) 210m

Had to go to a meeting last night and only got 5 hours sleep so felt a bit tired for the first mile. Woke up pretty quickly though when I was ambushed by 4 terriers and a lurcher :mad: Truth be told they were out for revenge because the last time I ran past my kicks connected with two of the terriers. Must arm myself with a big stick next time ;)

I had a big slice of cake and a glass of milk before I left. Not an intelligent thing to do. Not intelligent at all! I probably could have coped ok with the cake on its own but eating dairy products before I run gives me diarrhoea when I run :eek: How did I not remember this? Lucky for me I live in the depths of rural Ireland :D
    I am just glad you don't put up as many pictures with your posts anymore!

I am just glad you don't put up as many pictures with your posts anymore!

:D:D:D

3m @ 10:32

I quite like running in the drizzly rain but it was getting heavier all the time and I had left Mireya out before I left because she won't eat her breakfast unless she's been out in the field. So I had to resist the urge to race back and bring her in. In fairness she does have a heavy rug with a hood so she was better equipped for the rain than me and a couple of minutes was hardly going to make too much difference :)

• Advertisement

4m @ 8:20

A steady pace was called for on this run - half way between marathon pace and easy pace. I was aiming for 8:30 but was running comfortably a little bit faster so I just went with that. Breathing was nice and relaxed so happy out :D

I managed to kick a small rock against my left ankle with my right foot after the first mile - that was painful!!!

6m @ 9:00 :D

I was starving this morning so to take my mind off my stomach I was counting my stride rate. Jack Daniels says "almost all elite distance runners (both men and women) tend to stride at about the same rate: 180 or steps per minute........a rate that doesn't vary much even when they're not running fast". Counted mine 3 times; on a flattish part of the road, downhill and uphill and it was 184 all the time :D

We have a sheep who says hello when she sees you go past her gate. She was a twin lamb and her mother would only feed the other one so she was bottle fed. She spent a lot of time in the yard so for a while there she thought she might be a small horse and it was a bit of a shock to her when she finally had to go in a field with other sheep. Anyway when I was running past today she gave a 'baa' and I said "hello fluffy" (because that's her name) and when I was coming back she was still by the gate so I said "hello fluffy" and she said 'baa' :D:D ........

I bet nobody else has such a sheep :D

We have a sheep who says hello when she sees you go past her gate. She was a twin lamb and her mother would only feed the other one so she was bottle fed. She spent a lot of time in the yard so for a while there she thought she might be a small horse and it was a bit of a shock to her when she finally had to go in a field with other sheep. Anyway when I was running past today she gave a 'baa' and I said "hello fluffy" (because that's her name) and when I was coming back she was still by the gate so I said "hello fluffy" and she said 'baa' :D:D ........

Heisenberg's glass has made it to Laois!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

:D This is why I love Boards!

• Advertisement

Easy miles: 8:58, 8:57, 8:56, 9:03, 9:06, 8:59

Strides: 26, 26, 25, 25, 25, 25

Oops strides were a small bit faster than 5k pace but what's cool is I was running for exactly the same time as for the strides last Wednesday 1:04:27 :D

............It's the little things that keep me happy ;)

7m @ 8:14

You know your confidence has taken a hammering when you have to psyche yourself up to do 7 miles at steady pace. Yes you will be able to hold 8:20 pace for 7 miles. Yes you will be able to keep the pace up the hill etc etc. In the end there was no need to worry as I found it easy enough. That's why it's a bit too fast :o I knew I was a shade too fast but I was in a lovely rhythm so I figured as long as I didn't go faster than MP I'd be ok.

I was running along minding my own business when this little sh!t of a terrier ran out from under a hedge and tore after me. Her owner was screeching for her to come back which really annoyed me. "Come back Moll. Good girl"!!! Like that's going to be any good to me when she sinks her teeth into my ankle :mad: So when she came up along side me I stopped, turned and booted her, all in one fluid motion, and then continued on my merry way. And yes I know I'm a terrible person :D

7m @ 8:14

You know your confidence has taken a hammering when you have to psyche yourself up to do 7 miles at steady pace. Yes you will be able to hold 8:20 pace for 7 miles. Yes you will be able to keep the pace up the hill etc etc. In the end there was no need to worry as I found it easy enough. That's why it's a bit too fast :o I knew I was a shade too fast but I was in a lovely rhythm so I figured as long as I didn't go faster than MP I'd be ok.

I was running along minding my own business when this little sh!t of a terrier ran out from under a hedge and tore after me. Her owner was screeching for her to come back which really annoyed me. "Come back Moll. Good girl"!!! Like that's going to be any good to me when she sinks her teeth into my ankle :mad: So when she came up along side me I stopped, turned and booted her, all in one fluid motion, and then continued on my merry way. And yes I know I'm a terrible person :D

I preferred the story about the talking sheep!

So when is the next race?

I preferred the story about the talking sheep!

So when is the next race?
    Sorry but it's not all animal farm around here you know :D

Next day out is Nov 17th - Stook 10 mile. Not sure if I'll be racing it though.

Some dog owners really can drive you nuts while out running though...

There are those who leave the dogs on a 'leash' of about 40 feet and you have to run around them. Others who half-laugh when their little shih tzu tries to mangle you when running past and worst of all, those who leave their dogs crap all over the footpath (or grass verge) and expect everyone else to avoid it. Not so easy in the dark! Just for some balance, there was a sound fella last night who heard me running behind him and nearly choked his poor dog dragging him in out of the way to leave me past - even though I had already stepped on to the road at that stage. Sorry about the rant! :D

Easy miles: 8:58, 8:55, 8:57, 9:00, 8:57, 9:01

Strides: 28, 27, 27, 27, 27, 27

Slowed the strides down today so that I'm getting the right stimulus from them. I'd say I could slow them a bit more though to 29 secs because they were averaging 6:03 min/mi today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Others who half-laugh when their little shih tzu tries to mangle you when running past

That reminds me - I went to visit a zoo recently. There was only one animal, a dog, there. It was a shih tzu.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    That reminds me - I went to visit a zoo recently. There was only one animal, a dog, there. It was a shih tzu.

Boooooo

I hope you didn't pay good money for that :D

I've been looking forward to this run all week :D Have I mentioned how much I like recovery runs :D

• Advertisement

Early morning dusky runs are my absolute favourite. Not too cold this morning and the silence was only punctuated by the sound of birds chirping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Early morning dusky runs are my absolute favourite. Not too cold this morning and the silence was only punctuated by the sound of birds chirping.

Very poetic! Agreed - those ones are the good uns ;)

8m @ 8:50 (last mile @ faster than MP - 7:34)

I wasn't sure how easy 'easy' was going to be with the wind and the rain. I took a tumble as well yesterday and I was a bit sore but 'easy' turned out to be too easy so I went in search of some hills to slow the pace. That was fun. I like hills :D The weather was grand for the first 5 miles. Sunny and windy. Complete climate change for the last 3 milesthough :( and the last half mile was brutal. The rain was ferocious and when I got in and took my shoes off I must have poured about 500ml of water out of them!

It really annoys me when I running when oncoming cars overtake me at the last minute and barely move out into the road. This is especially annoying on dead straight roads. I've noticed this week if I wear my high vis bib even during the day, cars give me much more clearance. So this is good. It means I don't have to fill my pockets with stones anymore ;)

Heading to Galway today and I was constantly refreshing boards to see how everyone was getting on in Dublin. Some seriously impressive results topped by CL's performance. Found it quite inspiring actually and I said to myself 'Holy cow Kate, if CL can smash sub 3, the least you can do is win on Mireya'. So I did :D

Also did 3m @ 10:31 this morning and jogged a lap of Ballybrit to check out the ground :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Heading to Galway today and I was constantly refreshing boards to see how everyone was getting on in Dublin. Some seriously impressive results topped by CL's performance. Found it quite inspiring actually and I said to myself 'Holy cow Kate, if CL can smash sub 3, the least you can do is win on Mireya'. So I did :D

Also did 3m @ 10:31 this morning and jogged a lap of Ballybrit to check out the ground :D

Don't follow horse racing at all or know anything about it but that's pretty damn cool - congrats CM

Ahhh - so that's where your boards moniker came from. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Any truth in the rumour that you told Mireya that if she didn't win that you'd run the next one yourself? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Well done CM, that's impressive, but u might tip us off next time;-)

Any truth in the rumour that you told Mireya that if she didn't win that you'd run the next one yourself? :D
    Haha :D Nah that would just amuse her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done CM and Mireya :D Next time though I expect a tip off though:D:D

Advertisement