Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

jfh wrote: »
    Well done CM, that's impressive, but u might tip us off next time;-)
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well done CM and Mireya :D Next time though I expect a tip off though:D:D

I thought I did :p
    Hopefully will be going to Galway that day with Mireya - will win => have the house on her ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Well done CM! Delighted to see good karma going your way after all your work whipping us novices into shape:) I'm sure your hard work had alot to do with the win;)

Well done CM! Delighted to see good karma going your way after all your work whipping us novices into shape:) I'm sure your hard work had alot to do with the win;)

I like karma. Keep the karma coming ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

'A power-packed finish'. We could all have done with that yesterday. Well done.

7m easy + 6 x 100m strides (walk back rec)

Easy miles: 9:08, 9:00, 8:54, 9:01, 8:59, 9:05, 9:02

Strides: 30, 29, 29, 30, 29, 29 (Av pace: 6:36)

Other days I've been consciously slowing down easy pace runs to 9min/ml pace but my legs were a bit sluggish today so the easy miles were run on effort.

• Advertisement

8m @ 8:24

Planned pace was between 8:20 - 8:30 so managed that ok but it was a good bit harder than last week. Legs still feeling a bit fatigued and the bleeding wind was messing big time with my pace (and consequently my head ;))

3m recovery + 6 x 100m strides (walk back rec)

Recovery miles: 10:29, 10:33, 10:33

Strides: 30, 31, 30, 31, 31, 31 (Av pace: 6:55)

Substituted recovery miles for easy miles today because RHR was 50 and yesterday my muscles were tired. I kept getting shooting pains down my right forearm yesterday but thankfully it's not happening today. Strides were a bit slow but that's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

3m recovery + 6 x 100m strides (walk back rec)

Recovery miles: 10:29, 10:33, 10:33

Strides: 30, 31, 30, 31, 31, 31 (Av pace: 6:55)

Substituted recovery miles for easy miles today because RHR was 50 and yesterday my muscles were tired. I kept getting shooting pains down my right forearm yesterday but thankfully it's not happening today. Strides were a bit slow but that's ok

Strides with recovery run seems a bit strange to me.(Not that I'm an expert or anything!) What is the rationale there..just out of curiosity? Do these two things not work against each other?

It's my logs birthday today ..... happy birthday log :D Here's how I've got on in the last year:

Date|Race|Time|Comment
    1 Dec 12|Waterford HM|1:38:55|My favourite HM
    26 Dec 12|Stoneyford 5k|21:25|Ok tough course
    1 Jan 13|Tom Brennan 5k|20:52|Good
    27 Jan 13|Dungarvan 10m|1:17:32|Crap
    3 Mar 13|Bohermeen HM|1:36:34|Ok PB but thought I'd be nearer 95 min
    20 Apr 13|K club 10k|42:54|Good PB
    5 May 13|Limk marathon|3:28:48|5 stars PB
    24 May 13|Poulmucka 8k|33:24|Good PB paced myself well
    19 Jul 13|Tullamore 5k|21:20|Crap too hot
    2 Aug 13|Daingean 5k|20:24|Good PB paced well
    14 Sept 13|Athlone HM|1:43:34|Rubbish
    28 Sept 13|Rathfarnham 5k|21:33|Rubbish
    And since it's the end of the month.....

Month|Miles
    Jan|150.4
    Feb|205
    Mar|210
    Apr|193
    May|125.6
    Jun|156
    Jul|200
    Aug|227
    Sept|120
    Oct|149
    Total|1736

RedRunner wrote: »
    Strides with recovery run seems a bit strange to me.(Not that I'm an expert or anything!) What is the rationale there..just out of curiosity? Do these two things not work against each other?
    I'm no expert either but I think its fine to do them after a recovery run.

[SIZE=+0]WHEN SHOULD I DO STRIDES? You should do a full Strides Session at least once a week, preferably after a medium intensity or recovery run. In addition, a few strides (e.g. 6 x 50m) can be done as part of a warm up before a race or track workout. Because good form is important when doing Strides, you should avoid doing them after an intense speed workout or very long run; you don't want to be fatigued when you are doing them[/SIZE]

http://www.runquick.com/corcorn/strides.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

It's my logs birthday today ..... happy birthday log :D Here's how I've got on in the last year:

Date|Race|Time|Comment
    1 Dec 12|Waterford HM|1:38:55|My favourite HM
    26 Dec 12|Stoneyford 5k|21:25|Ok tough course
    1 Jan 13|Tom Brennan 5k|20:52|Good
    27 Jan 13|Dungarvan 10m|1:17:32|Crap
    3 Mar 13|Bohermeen HM|1:36:34|Ok PB but thought I'd be nearer 95 min
    20 Apr 13|K club 10k|42:54|Good PB
    5 May 13|Limk marathon|3:28:48|5 stars PB
    24 May 13|Poulmucka 8k|33:24|Good PB paced myself well
    19 Jul 13|Tullamore 5k|21:20|Crap too hot
    2 Aug 13|Daingean 5k|20:24|Good PB paced well
    14 Sept 13|Athlone HM|1:43:34|Rubbish
    28 Sept 13|Rathfarnham 5k|21:33|Rubbish
    And since it's the end of the month.....

Month|Miles
    Jan|150.4
    Feb|205
    Mar|210
    Apr|193
    May|125.6
    Jun|156
    Jul|200
    Aug|227
    Sept|120
    Oct|149
    Total|1736[/QUO
    Happy Birthday, very impressive year to date!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Happy Birthday, very impressive year to date!
    Thanks that'll be you next year ;)

3m @ 10:31

My recovery run road has been resurfaced - good because I no longer have to dodge cars swerving to avoid potholes but bad because it's all little sharp stones that are not nice to run on :(

6m @ 9:00 :D

The rain woke me up this morning so I lay in bed until it had stopped. I don't mind the rain when I'm running but I hate heading out in the wet. Anyway it was dry all the time so happy days.

10m @ 8:21

2m easy: 9:03, 9:00
    1m HMP: 7:07
    1m easy: 9:00
    2m @ MP: 7:44, 7:40
    1m easy: 8:53
    1m HMP: 7:05
    2m easy: 9:01, 9:02

This was good. I felt strong all the way. First HMP mile was into the wind so it was a bit more difficult. I felt I was having to work a bit harder than I should anyway. I wore my Gel DS trainers. This was their first outing since we were caught in monsoon rain last Sunday. I had them stuffed with newspaper but really I should have removed the wet newspaper a few days ago

3m @ 10:46

Recovery run. Was talking on the phone while I ran so bit slower than normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

will you be Jingle Belling??

Might be tempted if training is going well :D

Easy miles: 9:03, 8:58, 9:02, 8:56, 9:01, 8:58, 9:01

Strides: 29, 28, 28, 27, 27, 27 (Av pace: 6:14)

I'm trying to do my strides so that my breathing is at a rate that I think I could maintain for 5k. The last 3 were a tiny bit fast but I think my form was good throughout.

9m @ 8:10

This was good. It was dark and even when I shined the light on my watch it was hard to read it so I was trying to judge the pace by feel. The torch is a good dog deterrent though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

9m @ 8:10

This was good. It was dark and even when I shined the light on my watch it was hard to read it so I was trying to judge the pace by feel. The torch is a good dog deterrent though :D
    No wonder it was dark you must have been out in the middle of the night!!!!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    No wonder it was dark you must have been out in the middle of the night!!!!
    :D

I'm a morning person ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

What are the target CM? Your training really seems to be going brilliantly! Possible sub 20 5km at the Jingle Bells??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Might be tempted if training is going well :D
    geekington wrote: »
    What are the target CM? Your training really seems to be going brilliantly! Possible sub 20 5km at the Jingle Bells??

Was out with Meno for pints last night and he was saying he might unofficially pace a sub 20 group for this.... Give him a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Was out with Meno for pints last night and he was saying he might unofficially pace a sub 20 group for this.... Give him a shout

haha what ? :D
    I'll probably race it if I am not working, might not get much below 20 minutes but will give it a shot...

geekington wrote: »
    Thanks :D Ya I'm feeling in much better form these last few weeks. I have a few 5k races picked out in December so hoping for a sub 20 this year :D
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Cheers Digger. It's very good of you to volunteer Meno's services :D
    menoscemo wrote: »
    haha what ? :D
    I'll probably race it if I am not working, might not get much below 20 minutes but will give it a shot...
    It's cool. It's oxygen I'll most likely be needing not a pacer ;):D

Easy miles: 9:02, 8:58, 8:57, 8:59, 8:54, 9:01, 9:00

Strides: 29, 28, 28, 28, 27, 25 (Av pace: 6:05)

Happy with this. I thought I might be a bit tired after yesterday but it was easy to keep at 'easy' pace and the strides went well. Last one was too fast because the blacksmith arrived and I didn't mean to speed up but I did :rolleyes: If he didn't think I was odd before he does now after seeing me do 3 laps of the yard to bring the daily total up to 8 miles :D

3m @ 10:30 :D

I love my Fridays. Just like Mondays except better :D

7m @ 9:00 :D

Brrrrrrrrrr. Cold this morning. It seemed to get colder as I ran because when I stepped outside the door this morning I said 'Nah I won't need gloves. It's not that cold' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

7m @ 9:00 :D

Brrrrrrrrrr. Cold this morning. It seemed to get colder as I ran because when I stepped outside the door this morning I said 'Nah I won't need gloves. It's not that cold' :rolleyes:

I hear you cm, was out for a late run last night and luckily had brought my lovely new Aldi running hat and gloves along for the first time, freezing !

Now, I had to get up and out for work this morning, what's your excuse !!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I'll have the gloves on today I reckon. We're all gone soft after 1 good summer! :pac:

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    I hear you cm, was out for a late run last night and luckily had brought my lovely new Aldi running hat and gloves along for the first time, freezing !

Now, I had to get up and out for work this morning, what's your excuse !!:confused:

I need to run early tomorrow. 10m progression run on the cards so I ran early today so I have maximum recovery ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

I need to run early tomorrow. 10m progression run on the cards so I ran early today so I have maximum recovery ;)

Remember your gkoves!

Remember your gkoves!

A.M: 1m @ 9:10

P.M 10m @ 8:08
    3m easy @ 9:01, 9:00, 9:02
    3m steady 8:12, 8:10, 8:09
    3m @ MP 7:38, 7:38, 7:36
    1m @ HMP 7:02

This morning was a lovely morning for a run - not too cold, dry, calm. Perfect. Unfortunately after I dragged myself from my bed at 6a.m I realised my watch was dead. Aarrgggg :mad: I don't have time for this. I have to leave for Limerick at 10a.m and I have two horses to exercise before I go. I charged the watch for 20 minutes at it had two bars so I was well happy. I thought that would get my 10m done. My watch was lying though because I only got half a mile down the road and the 'battery alert' light came on. Quick decision. Thought it was pointless doing a progression run when I would have no idea of pace so abandoned it till I came home

Second attempt was wet and windy. Though not as bad in lovely Laois as it was in Limerick! The run went well. I had paces in my head of 9:00 easy, 8:10 steady 7:40 MP and 7:05 HMP and I pretty much nailed them so very happy. I knew this run would go well though because I had a lot of pent up anger to dissipate and it did the trick ;)

• Advertisement

3m @ 10:31

3 luvly jubly recovery miles. It's t-shirt weather again emo49.gif

9m @ 9:06

incl 6 x 120m strides (28, 27, 27, 27, 27, 27)

Lovely out this morning. Running is fun :D

7m @ 8:10

2m easy: 9:02, 8;59

3m HMP: 7:06, 7:04, 7:00

2m easy: 9:00, 9:00

Hat and gloves weather :D HMP miles felt good :D

9m @ 9:04

with 6 x 120m strides (all 27 secs)

Had a weird pain in my right knee this morning. It's usually the left knee that gets sore :confused: Then it just disappeared. One minute I was walking up the path with a horse thinking my knee is sore. If it's sore when I'm running I'll do less today and the next there's no pain at all and I'm thinking I'm just imagining things. No pain whatsoever during the run so maybe it's a signal that I need to do some stretches tonight :) Run went well. I was feeling a small bit tired but still I was slowing myself down to keep at easy pace and the strides felt good. Rest day tomorrow then 2m recovery on Sat and the 10m race Sun. I'm going to wear my watch (because I like to have a record of all my runs) but not concentrate on the pace and run it as a hard training run. So it will be all about effort and keeping my breathing controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Sunday sounds like it will be a really great race. I'd love to be running it but I'll have to give it a miss as I'm pretty sure Social Services has me flagged as a bad mother and they've been keeping an eye on the amount of racing I've been doing;)

I totally agree that racing "sans Garmin" is the way to go, you'll get much better results. Very best of luck:)

• Advertisement

Chip time: 1:14:40 :D PB*

Flying mile: 5:54 :D

RHR 42 this morning ... hasn't been that low for a race since Limk so even though I was sneezing continuously and I had a runny nose I was very confident. Plan for today was to wear my watch but run the first 6 miles comfortably hard, take my time up the hills and then race hard down the hills. Secretly I wanted a pb because even though it's a tough course my 10m pb from Dungarvan is poor and I also wanted a sub 6 min flying mile. I met Belcarra at the start and he said he was aiming for 4:40/km pace. Not sure what that is in miles but it sounded ok so I figured I'd just stick with him. Yay :D Who needs a watch when I have Belcarra :D It's great running with someone you know because there's no need to talk. I hate talking when I'm running! First 5 miles flew by and we got a nice shout out from Blockic on the way back into the village. I was feeling strong and my breathing was nice and controlled. Effort was consistent but the paces were a bit all over the place because of the hills. Mile 1 - 5: 7:04, 7:33, 7:03, 7:23, 7:11

There was a steepish incline midway through mile 5 and I must have been trucking on a bit because Belcarra asked me did I know there was another 2 miles of hills? :confused: :mad: The hills started early. Sneaky. I thought I had till mile 6. Ouch. I dropped back off Belcarra shortly after that because I wanted to keep my breathing constant in case I got a stitch. I kept counting over and over in my head going up hill and just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other and thinking to myself "Remember you did the Wicklow Way. You can do this" Up, up we went. Round the corner. More up. Next corner. More up. Passed a few people who had stopped to walk. Suckers ;) Occasionally I caught a glimpse of Belcarra. He was about 100m in front of me. Another girl in a blue top that I was talking to before the race was running with me here. I thought she was having to put in a bit more effort than me so when we finally caught sight of the cheering crowd and the top of the hill and she sped up a bit I tucked in behind her because I thought I'd be able to pass her on the downhill. It was lovely to get mile 8 and the top of that hill and know it was all downhill to the finish. Mile 6 - 8: 7:42, 9:24, 8:11

I passed out the blue top girl before the timing mat for the flying mile and down the hill I went. There was a couple of guys ahead of me that I had as targets and I could still see Belcarra. The downhill was fast. I was keeping an eye on my watch cause I wanted to keep it fairly controlled. Mile 9: 5:54 :DI didn't feel like it trashed my legs too much and I was happy I was strong in the last mile and able to sprint for the line Mile 10 7:12.

Definitely one for the calender again next year. Really well organised - loads of water and in places where you'd be glad of it and fantastic spread. Also was lovely to meet Shortstuff and purceninho. Well done on your races guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Super stuff K and its so nice to read that you had such a good race. Very well deserved. You're proof that consistency pays off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great running today CM, not many others will have payed on that course today.
    Of course you do realise you've replaced one Dungarvan 10 mile PB with another today!?

Career Move is back! Well done onwards and upwards again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

The hills started early. Sneaky. I thought I had till mile 6. Ouch. I dropped back off Belcarra shortly after that because I wanted to keep my breathing constant in case I got a stitch. I kept counting over and over in my head going up hill and just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other and thinking to myself "Remember you did the Wicklow Way. You can do this" Up, up we went. Round the corner. More up. Next corner. More up.

:D yeah, from 5.8 to 6.8 I find the toughest! Great challenge though and builds strength into the legs.

Well done on the PB and thanks for coming along!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Excellent stuff K...well done on the new PB!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on the PB - great race and great report too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great running, nice PB, lovely flying mile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sub 6 min mile?? Sweet!

Nice run all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Flying mile sounds like great craic. :)

Congrats K - fantastic run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement