Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done K, you needed that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

delighted fro you K, a great result. See you at Jingle Bells for another great result and another PB:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

3m @ 10:30

Thanks for all the nice comments - it's good to be back in the game :D Legs were feeling pretty happy this morning and on this run. Had to keep an eye that I didn't go too fast which is always nice. This afternoon the DOMS set in though and I started to feel sore all over and really tired. Also had a brain meltdown and nearly forgot to go to work this afternoon :eek: ...... Yes it is possible to be that stupid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Well done career move. Great result on a very tough course. You'll blow a couple of minutes of that on a flat course easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

This afternoon the DOMS set in though and I started to feel sore all over and really tired.

I hear ya! Think I trashed my legs too much on the flying mile...In bits this afternoon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great running K on what sounds a very tough route. Smoke that PB on a flatter race.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done on the PB on a tough track by all accounts. Glad things have turned around for ya after a few weeks of not being right. Looks like lots of easy miles did the trick. Sub 20?

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Well done on the PB on a tough track by all accounts. Glad things have turned around for ya after a few weeks of not being right. Looks like lots of easy miles did the trick. Sub 20?
    Hopefully :D Have just entered the jingle bells now so that's the next race. Have a few 5k's planned so should get 19:xx in one of them!

6m @ 9:00 :D

Muscles feeling a good bit better today and this run went well. Was horse racing in Wexford and needed to lose 2lb which I did but the last few days have been stressful. It's always stressful when I have to limit my food intake ;)

• Advertisement

8m @ 9:06

with 6 x 120m strides (28,26,26,26,26,26)

I met the usual people on my morning run :D farmer from down the road whose tractor has no lights. I usually meet him twice because he brings feed to his cattle that are on the other side of Errill and the other person I always meet is the South African man dropping his kids to school. He ran the NY marathon with his wife but doesn't run much anymore cause he has a bad back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

No talking sheep?

Beef wrote: »
    No talking sheep?
    Fraid not. The sheep have moved to a different field and they don't come down near the road much because it's more sheltered up the top!

I can tell you the story of Mickey the ram though :D Mickey was one of this years lambs. I can't remember but I think his mother might have died when he was born. He was bottle fed anyway and when he was a few weeks old, one of Mum's friends gave us 20 quid for him. J was going to rear him for a few months and then butcher him when he was old enough. Everything was going great while he was on milk. J has 3 girls and they were mad about Mickey. They had him out with the ponies and started feeding him cattle ration. This went on for a few weeks and Mickey was fairly tucking into his food. The youngest girl was feeding him all the time because he was her pet. Unfortunately the cattle food contains a high level of copper which formed into stones in the tubes that carry urine from the bladder. That made Mickey very sick and J was told the only way to save Mickey was to operate on him and remove the stones. They did that and the operation was a success but what was the future for Mickey??? Well the girls and J's wife refused to let him be taken to the butcher so J bought a nanny goat to keep Mickey company which he milks every morning. The nanny goat and Mickey are now best buddies and J takes them out for walks on a lead. Strange but true :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Fraid not. The sheep have moved to a different field and they don't come down near the road much because it's more sheltered up the top!

I can tell you the story of Mickey the ram though :D Mickey was one of this years lambs. I can't remember but I think his mother might have died when he was born. He was bottle fed anyway and when he was a few weeks old, one of Mum's friends gave us 20 quid for him. J was going to rear him for a few months and then butcher him when he was old enough. Everything was going great while he was on milk. J has 3 girls and they were mad about Mickey. They had him out with the ponies and started feeding him cattle ration. This went on for a few weeks and Mickey was fairly tucking into his food. The youngest girl was feeding him all the time because he was her pet. Unfortunately the cattle food contains a high level of copper which formed into stones in the tubes that carry urine from the bladder. That made Mickey very sick and J was told the only way to save Mickey was to operate on him and remove the stones. They did that and the operation was a success but what was the future for Mickey??? Well the girls and J's wife refused to let him be taken to the butcher so J bought a nanny goat to keep Mickey company which he milks every morning. The nanny goat and Mickey are now best buddies and J takes them out for walks on a lead. Strange but true :eek:

Absolute classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Nothing like rural living for adding a bit of colour:)

That's brilliant! :)
    Instead of getting a lovely leg of lamb for dinner he ended up with 2 pets. I'd love to see him out walking the goat and sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'm reading nanny goat and Mickey the ram but I'm hearing Career Move and Meno ;)

Beef wrote: »
    That's brilliant! :)
    Instead of getting a lovely leg of lamb for dinner he ended up with 2 pets. I'd love to see him out walking the goat and sheep.
    I'll see if I can get a picture :)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'm reading nanny goat and Mickey the ram but I'm hearing Career Move and Meno ;)
    :D

If I'm honest that's a poor enough effort digger. I mean I made it easy for you! Really all you can say is "lacks imagination" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

:D

If I'm honest that's a poor enough effort digger. I mean I made it easy for you! Really all you can say is "lacks imagination" :p

Too obvious??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Love it!

• Advertisement

7m total

2m w/u @ 8:59, 8:57

8 x 1min hills @ 3k effort
    Rep|Dist|Elev|Pace|Rec
    1| 0.14| 55 |7:14|95sec
    2| 0.15| 50 |6:51|120sec
    3| 0.15| 48 |6:29|110sec
    4| 0.15| 52 |6:39|115sec
    5| 0.15| 53 |6:39|120sec
    6| 0.15| 49 |6:56|120sec
    7| 0.14| 55 |6:59|120sec
    8| 0.15| 53 |6:44|

2.5m c/d @ 9:01, 9:00, 8:59

This went well I think. Took me a couple of goes on the hill to mark out my spots for starting and finishing. It's a pretty steep hill and I was happy that I was fully recovered by the start of the next rep. Mum is back in hospital because the cancer is back so was nice to have something to occupy my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

:(

That's horrible news for ye, hope she is back on the mend soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Sorry to hear that CM, it's a terrible disease:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear that c_m, hope shes better soon.

Sorry to hear that news carer_move. We all complain at times about bad runs or other trivial things and we have nothing to worry about really. Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry to hear your bad news. Really hope her health improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fingers crossed for your Mam c_m. Running when you can really helps clear your head, it's a great way to escape "real life" for just a little while anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

RubyK wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for your Mam c_m. Running when you can really helps clear your head, it's a great way to escape "real life" for just a little while anyway.

+1

fingers crossed she pulls through.

Thanks all :D It's a bit like running up a very long steep hill at this stage - doesn't get any less painful but you just have to put the head down and keep going!

• Advertisement

My bed was lovely and warm. Such a disappointment to have to drag myself out into the cold :( But it was worth it because it was a lovely morning for a run. Hopefully I'll get time for some yoga lately because I think it would do me good :D

7m @ 8:05

I wasn't too sure how much I liked these steady runs when I started doing them. They take a bit of effort but you don't get the same buzz when you're finished like you do from a really hard session. I like them a lot more now though and they seem quite beneficial. Info here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Actually planning a 'steady run' for Sunday morning.

11m @ 9:00

Seemed to get colder this morning the longer I was out. I took my hat off after half a mile and left it on a bush to collect on the way back so that was probably a mistake! Felt bad last night that I hadn't done any yoga all week so bribed myself with some chocolate and did 20min of stretches :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

So sorry to hear about your mum CM, I remember her illness was one of the reasons you started running in the first place. Wishing her a speedy recovery, I'm sure you're a great comfort to her.

Nice relaxing little run. Unfortunately when I got back my day kind of snowballed ...... possibly karma for staying an extra hour in bed ...... and I ended up with a long list of things I needed to get done :( I'm still a couple of hours behind but I'm currently hiding from the man who delivers the horse feed because I don't want to talk to him :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best wishes to your mam in fighting the good fight. If your determination is anything to go by then she'll get through this with flying colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What Gavlor said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Sorry to hear about your Mam CM - hope she has a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement

9m @ 9:06

with 6 x 120m strides (27,26,26,26,26,26)

Love running days with strides :D Had a pebble stuck in the sole of my shoe for the last couple of weeks and finally remembered to take it out this morning. Seem to be getting very forgetful because I changed my watch to average pace for Sunday's run and never switched it back and I thought it was weird yesterday that my watch was telling me I was running one pace and then showing completely different mile splits but I only did 3 miles so wasn't too bothered but it finally clicked with me today :D

There's an old castle (15th century I think) in the field next to our house and there were peregrine falcons nesting there. A couple of guys from Birdwatch Ireland came out during the summer and put rings on all the chicks. That was cool. They were abseiling from the castle walls. Anyway the falcons must have come back because I heard one up on the castle while I was doing the strides. This is good. I think they kill pigeons and there's 6 pigeons living in the stables that are p!ssing me off :D

Peregrine-falcon-talons.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Anyway the falcons must have come back because I heard one up on the castle while I was doing the strides. This is good. I think they kill pigeons and there's 6 pigeons living in the stables that are p!ssing me off :D

There's your new challenge. Catch a falcon to stick in the stables. :)

PS. hoping your Mam has a speedy recovery and puts all that stuff behind her.

Aimman wrote: »
    There's your new challenge. Catch a falcon to stick in the stables. :)

PS. hoping your Mam has a speedy recovery and puts all that stuff behind her.

Or catch the 6 pigeons!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Or shoot the 6 pigeons!

FYP ;)

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Or catch the 6 pigeons!

Ok, so who is Dasterdly and who is Mutley?

Aimman wrote: »
    Ok, so who is Dasterdly and who is Mutley?
    Had to google that ..... before my time ;):D

• Advertisement

7m total

2m w/u - 9:02, 8:51

Same hill as last week except better this time because I knew where to start and finish. 1 min reps. 2 min recovery and I took the full two minutes ;) The last 10 secs is torture but I could make it worse if I started a tiny bit earlier or if I ran faster :D because the hill gets viciously steep towards the top.

Rep|Pace
    1|6:37
    2|6:32
    3|6:44
    4|6:40
    5|6:55
    6|6:56
    7|6:41
    8|6:45
    9|6:50
    10|6:51

2m c/d @ 9:00

The first two reps were a bit fast. Thought I'd pay for that later on but managed to hold it together ok. Figured it was good practice for the last k in a race :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Some great training going on here CM, I predict a big PB for you at the Jingle Bells 5k. In fact I'd say you will well clear sub 20, something around the 19:4X's mark. I just had one question about your training pace if you don't mind. So you 5k pace is about 6.20 a mile and 1/2 marathon pace is about 7:10 if I'm right? You seem to do a bit of running around the 10-10:30 minute per mile mark. Is this you recovery pace? For a runner of your level of training I would have thought this was a bit slow, do you not find it hard to run at this pace compared to your race paces? Again, this is not a criticism at all, just curious! For a 19:59 5k McMillan gives an easy pace of 7:31-8:31 a mile and a recovery pace of 8:36-9:17 a mile.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Some great training going on here CM, I predict a big PB for you at the Jingle Bells 5k. In fact I'd say you will well clear sub 20, something around the 19:4X's mark. I just had one question about your training pace if you don't mind. So you 5k pace is about 6.20 a mile and 1/2 marathon pace is about 7:10 if I'm right? You seem to do a bit of running around the 10-10:30 minute per mile mark. Is this you recovery pace? For a runner of your level of training I would have thought this was a bit slow, do you not find it hard to run at this pace compared to your race paces? Again, this is not a criticism at all, just curious! For a 19:59 5k McMillan gives an easy pace of 7:31-8:31 a mile and a recovery pace of 8:36-9:17 a mile.
    Thanks I feel great at the moment :D

"5k pace is about 6.20 a mile and 1/2 marathon pace is about 7:10" - that's what I'd like them to be anyway but if you were going on my pb's 5k pace would be 6:34 and HMP would be 7:22

10:30 is my recovery pace. I find it easy to run this slowly. In fact if the truth was told I could run slower if necessary ;) I've counted my stride cadence at easy and recovery pace and it's always 190/min or slightly more which is good I think. I don't take many rest days so it's important for me on recovery days not to stress the muscle fibres at all. All I want to do is increase blood flow to the muscles so recovery runs are short and slow. On easy days I run at 9 min pace. I'm happy running at this pace too and I can nearly do it automatically now. Easy days for me are just there to get the mileage in and increase aerobic capacity while still leaving me fresh enough for the faster days. Ecoli has very kindly taken over my coaching and we're in base building phase at the moment. He tells me what paces to run and all I have to do is run them ;) I always ran slower than the Mcmillan paces anyway. I think you maybe need to have been running for a few years before they become applicable and I'm only running about 18 months.

Had to google that ..... before my time ;):D

Wouldn't have been able to Google it in my time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Thanks I feel great at the moment :D

"5k pace is about 6.20 a mile and 1/2 marathon pace is about 7:10" - that's what I'd like them to be anyway but if you were going on my pb's 5k pace would be 6:34 and HMP would be 7:22

10:30 is my recovery pace. I find it easy to run this slowly. In fact if the truth was told I could run slower if necessary ;) I've counted my stride cadence at easy and recovery pace and it's always 190/min or slightly more which is good I think. I don't take many rest days so it's important for me on recovery days not to stress the muscle fibres at all. All I want to do is increase blood flow to the muscles so recovery runs are short and slow. On easy days I run at 9 min pace. I'm happy running at this pace too and I can nearly do it automatically now. Easy days for me are just there to get the mileage in and increase aerobic capacity while still leaving me fresh enough for the faster days. Ecoli has very kindly taken over my coaching and we're in base building phase at the moment. He tells me what paces to run and all I have to do is run them ;) I always ran slower than the Mcmillan paces anyway. I think you maybe need to have been running for a few years before they become applicable and I'm only running about 18 months.

Very interesting, ecoli probably thinks I'm stepping on his toes now! :D I never doubted you had a good reason for it, was just curious what it was. The main reason I asked is because I was curious how the jump from your easy 9 minute pace to 6.20 pace was. That's a big jump (for example, my 5k pace is about 5.40-45 a mile, if I added the 2 minutes and 40 secs you have my easy pace would be 8:20-30, whereas my actual easy pace is about a minute a mile quicker than that). But it makes sense when you explain you are in base building phase, this training lark is very interesting! You are in safe hands with ecoli anyway, he always gets the good athletes! :pac: Good luck with the training and will hopefully see you at the JB 5k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement