Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Monday:

3m @ 10:30

Tuesday:

9m @ 9:02

with 6 x 120m strides (24,23,23,23,22,23)

Freezing out emo62.gif

Luckily I remembered my gloves :D

Ah Wednesday. Session day. Was delighted I didn't have to do hill repeats but this was probably just as bad. 15 x 1min at 'some pace that was supposed to be 5k pace but wasn't' :D with 45 sec rec. I forgot to change my watch after the 5k race so it's still showing time/distance. 15 is a lot of reps so in my head I had it broken down into 3 x 5.

2m w/u @ 8:57

REP|1|2|3|4|5
    PACE|6:01|5:32|5:42|6:01|5:44

Tried not to go to fast but it's difficult to correspond pace with effort on these shorter reps because I feel great for the first 30 secs. Started off jogging the recoveries but started walking after the fourth cause I wasn't recovered enough

REP|6|7|8|9|10
    PACE|5:56|5:47|5:49|5:27|5:52

I don't know why some of these are way faster than others cause I was trying to keep the effort the same

REP|11|12|13|14|15
    PACE|5:56|5:44|5:42|5:32|5:59

Last 3 and my legs were like rubber. Finished with 2.6m c/d @ 10:32 to bring me up to 8m for the day. Happy out with today's run :D

9m @ 9:08

With 6 x 120m strides (23,23,23,23,22,22)

HOLY MERDE! it's cold out today. When I came in from the yard my toes were like icicles and I briefly thought about giving them a blast with the hairdryer before I put my trainers on. Unfortunately I didn't and it took 4 miles for the circulation to return! Around this time I started to question the wisdom of the layered approach that I took this morning ..... t-shirt + jumper + fleece = way too much heat retention :D

I have reached chocolate saturation point :(

I may even have chocolate poisoning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I have reached chocolate saturation point :(

I may even have chocolate poisoning :(

I have reached alcohol saturation point. I may have alcohol poisoning but before I panic Im going to try a bacon sandwich and I have to face Christmas shopping with 3 kids. This will be a very long day!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I have reached alcohol saturation point. I may have alcohol poisoning but before I panic Im going to try a bacon sandwich and I have to face Christmas shopping with 3 kids. This will be a very long day!
    :D

I got out of the xmas shopping yesterday. I sent my sister off with a list because I had to run :D

My thoughts are with you ;)

I got a notion today that my muscles could do with a bit of TLC so I rang the physio and got an appointment this afternoon. He said my soft tissues are in good condition :D It still hurt though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I got a notion today that my muscles could do with a bit of TLC so I rang the physio and got an appointment this afternoon. He said my soft tissues are in good condition :D It still hurt though :confused:

As a few will know around here my general motto in treatments here is " Yeah but its a good kinda pain" :D

Trust me though the body will thank you for it

ecoli wrote: »
    As a few will know around here my general motto in treatments here is " Yeah but its a good kinda pain" :D

Trust me though the body will thank you for it

Ha :D No pain no gain right! I can put up with the pain ok but I just wish Ronan wouldn't talk to me while inflicting said pain and expect replies :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Ha :D No pain no gain right! I can put up with the pain ok but I just wish Ronan wouldn't talk to me while inflicting said pain and expect replies :D

Distraction is one of the tricks of the trade (doesn't work with everyone unfortunately)

2m w/u @ 8:50

5 x 1m @ HMP with 2:30 min jog recoveries
    7:02, 6:58, 6:56, 6:58, 6:53

2m c/d @ 9:02

Legs were feeling great today but it was a bit of a struggle to get out for this because by the time I'd finished with the horses the weather was horrible. Windy and cold and sleety rain. I would have quite liked to stay by the fire and have my lunch. Once I was out it was grand though and I was promised soup and cherry pie on my return :D First 3 HMP reps were into the wind so I was working a small bit harder than I would have liked. But then I turned around for the last two and they felt nice and controlled :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Cm, you really are flying. I'm thinking you'll be doing big things in 2014.
    That's one of those sessions that you'll remember when things are getting tough in races.

13m @ 8:59

Small bit tired today so this was a bit of a slog especially with the bloody wind. Can't remember the last time I ran and it wasn't windy :confused: Mum's hair is starting to fall out in large clumps - I want her to shave it all off. I've even volunteered to do the same as a show of solidarity but she's stubbornly resistant :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Mum's hair is starting to fall out in large clumps - I want her to shave it all off. I've even volunteered to do the same as a show of solidarity but she's stubbornly resistant :(

Sorry your Mam is going through that. I know how you feel, my Mams hair started coming out the end of last month, and it's very hard to see that happening. She found it easier to deal with by getting cut it v short, and then she got it shaved off a few days later, as it was getting uncomfortable. I got her some lovely bandanas and caps from http://www.feelgoodscarves.com/ Hopefully, 2014 will bring good health to them both!

P.S. Great running ;)

RubyK wrote: »
    Sorry your Mam is going through that. I know how you feel, my Mams hair started coming out the end of last month, and it's very hard to see that happening. She found it easier to deal with by getting cut it v short, and then she got it shaved off a few days later, as it was getting uncomfortable. I got her some lovely bandanas and caps from http://www.feelgoodscarves.com/ Hopefully, 2014 will bring good health to them both!

P.S. Great running ;)

Thanks a mill for that link Ruby :D Hope you have a lovely xmas and best wishes to your Mum

• Advertisement

Signed up for the Tom Brennan 5k today. This week is an easy week. Good because I get a chance to absorb all the training. Bad because I'm going to have a serious calorie surplus. Here choccy choccy .... :D

Signed up for the Tom Brennan 5k today. This week is an easy week. Good because I get a chance to absorb all the training. Bad because I'm going to have a serious calorie surplus. Here choccy choccy .... :D

Eat away lady, its well earned:D

Here choccy choccy .... :D

good name for a horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Hope you've a great Christmas K and that 2014 brings you & yours much happiness and health.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Hope you've a great Christmas K and that 2014 brings you & yours much happiness and health.
    Thanks Conor :D Many happy returns

• Advertisement

6m @ 9:12

with 6 x 120m strides (all 23secs)

Claire came with me on the bike but there was no fear of me going too fast with the wind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Happy Christmas CM

Although I don't reply, I look for your log update here every day. I copy you a bit (although I am way behind your level). So thanks for some indirect guidance.

I hope your mum especially has a great Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Happy Christmas to you and your family C_M.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Happy Christmas CM

Although I don't reply, I look for your log update here every day. I copy you a bit (although I am way behind your level). So thanks for some indirect guidance.

I hope your mum especially has a great Christmas.
    Happy xmas to you :D

It's ecoli you should be thanking for the guidance though ;)
    Beef wrote: »
    Happy Christmas to you and your family C_M.
    Thanks same to you. Enjoy the racing :D

Wednesday:

Nada :D Didn't even do much with the horses because the gallop was frozen and the fields were frozen so they had to stay in their stables for the day. Except for Mireya. She got to go out with her friend because they will only eat their breakfast if they're out in the field. Also her paddock has more grass so the ground wasn't as bad.
    Opened presents, watched some crappy films, spent a large part of the day eating etc etc. In the middle of dinner one of the horses came waltzing past the sitting room window and proceed to head on up the garden steps. I forgot to shut the bottom bolt on his door and he let himself out. It was nearly feed time - I guess he was trying to tell me he was hungry cause he could have gone a different direction. Out on the road. The gate was open. Up to the field. Onto the gallop.
    Was semi active in the evening as I whooped Claire's ass in tennis, golf and bowling on the Wii. I'm useless at tennis in real life but on the Wii I have reached near professional level - that is how I passed my time in the pre-running age :D

Thursday:

Nothing. How clever of ecoli to schedule 2 rest days for me when the roads were so icy :D I did get Mireya worked today. She did 2 x 1200m hill repeats with walk back recovery except she doesn't like walking down the hill so it was more like baby step recoveries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Wednesday:

Nada :D Didn't even do much with the horses because the gallop was frozen and the fields were frozen so they had to stay in their stables for the day. Except for Mireya. She got to go out with her friend because they will only eat their breakfast if they're out in the field. Also her paddock has more grass so the ground wasn't as bad.
    Opened presents, watched some crappy films, spent a large part of the day eating etc etc. In the middle of dinner one of the horses came waltzing past the sitting room window and proceed to head on up the garden steps. I forgot to shut the bottom bolt on his door and he let himself out. It was nearly feed time - I guess he was trying to tell me he was hungry cause he could have gone a different direction. Out on the road. The gate was open. Up to the field. Onto the gallop.
    Was semi active in the evening as I whooped Claire's ass in tennis, golf and bowling on the Wii. I'm useless at tennis in real life but on the Wii I have reached near professional level - that is how I passed my time in the pre-running age :D

Thursday:

Nothing. How clever of ecoli to schedule 2 rest days for me when the roads were so icy :D I did get Mireya worked today. She did 2 x 1200m hill repeats with walk back recovery except she doesn't like walking down the hill so it was more like baby step recoveries

Sounds like she's preparing for a race over the Xmas?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Sounds like she's preparing for a race over the Xmas?

New years eve ..... if the weather co-operates :D

6m @ 9:11

with 6 x 120m strides (24,23,23,22,23,22)

I thought I would feel full of energy and enthusiasm on today's run but I didn't. This wind is getting tiresome. The second mile was nearly at recovery pace :eek: but then I turned around :D and it was all good

10m @ 7:55

This was a small bit faster than steady pace but I just went with it because I was in a nice rhythm, my breathing was nice and controlled and it was bloody cold so faster was better this morning. I didn't know it was supposed to be frosty. The roads were really icy especially for the first two miles. I forgot my gloves :( and my hands were not happy hands. Claire was with me on the bike and she did offer me hers but I would have felt bad cause then she would have had cold hands ;)

7m @ 9:04

with 6 x 120m strides (24,24,24,24,24,23)

Strides were a bit slower today - feckin wind. There were 2 nosy young horses in the field near to where I was running. They came down to see what I was doing and then they would run off when I was doing the strides and come back again when I was walking back down :)

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Moist apple cake was the poison of choice today ;)

picv66JgU.jpg

6m @ 9:00

There was so much rain last night the roads around were completely flooded in places. I was trying to avoid getting completely soaked by an oncoming car in such a flood when I ran into a solid wire fence :o D'oh. Luckily it wasn't electrified and it was above knee height :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Moist apple cake was the poison of choice today ;)

picv66JgU.jpg
    That's not poison, it's one of your 5 -a-day:D
    Happy New Year cm and good luck Mireya

Happy xmas to you :D

Thanks same to you. Enjoy the racing :D
    " Formscan By Donal Murphy - The likeable MIREYA gets my vote in this competitive looking handicap. The Cathy Harrison trained filly has been running consistently well of late, and with Harrison's daughter Kate taking seven pounds off, the six-year-old will carry a flyweight of just nine stone twelve. She won her maiden at Listowel in September over two and a half miles, and she had subsequent Grade 3 winner The Job Is Right behind her on that occasion. She will have no problems with the likely testing conditions, and after finishing third to Hop In on her last start at Navan, she can be expected to again go close here. Gilgamboa is an interesting contender for Enda Bolger. "

You better win - the childrens allowance is on it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Another furlong and you'd have been very close! Came through well to get third though.
    That Gilgamboa seemed very comfortable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

belcarra wrote: »
    A furlong less chocolate and you'd have been very close! Came through well to get third though.

FYP!

Well done today - another placed horse! Did you enjoy it?

You better win - the childrens allowance is on it. :D
    Ooops :o
    belcarra wrote: »
    Another furlong and you'd have been very close! Came through well to get third though.
    Ya she ran a great race. The ground was really testing and she didn't like it very much.
    Well done today - another placed horse! Did you enjoy it?
    Thanks. Ya I love riding Mireya :D

• Advertisement

Nice run there K. Never mind.

Tuesday:

4m @ 10:25

with 6 x 100m strides

Recovery run before the 5k today. Went to Punchestown with Mireya and she finished 3rd. I wasn't brilliant on her and I got abuse about it. I had another post done yesterday but I deleted it because there's no point whinging about people who couldn't ride a bicycle never mind a horse at 30mph. Chapter closed :D

Wednesday:

Tom Brennan 5k - 20:30

I wouldn't have done this race only I'd entered Claire a couple of days ago. Weather forecast was dismal and I was in bad form. Got up at 6 to get the horses done before we left and then got the train up. When we got to Dublin the rain was bucketing down and we were loathe to even leave the train station. At this stage I was seriously questioning my sanity. Walked to the start in the rain. Was kind of wondering if I was going to get pneumonia given that I'd opted for the short shorts and singlet outfit. I made Claire stop at the Londis shop near the station to buy some bin bags. She thought I'd lost it especially when I started putting one on in the shop :D

The paths were all flooded in the park and I walked into a lake so things were not looking good. However after we signed in and got our lovely blue tops :D I spotted Rachel. The clouds parted and the sun came out. Well not really but we jogged back to Rach's car which was warm and cosy so nearly as good. When we left the comfort of the car it was not too bad out and at this stage both Claire and Rachel had seen the wisdom behind the bin bag fashion. Rach is doing the Lord Mayors challenge so the girls did the warm up with them while I trotted off on my own and did about a mile with 4 x 10sec strides.

Ditched my bin bag and t-shirt with a couple of minutes to go. I was nice and warm at this stage. I was lined up about 4/5 rows back. I think I started a bit too fast so I probably should have lined up a bit further back. It didn't matter too much I guess because I was doing the race as a hard effort although all things going well I would have liked another sub 20. I felt my breathing a bit laboured after about 300m and a quick peek at the watch 5:xx pace confirmed my suspicions and I slowed a little. I was still running what I thought was a harder effort than the Jingle Bells and although the first k is 2 secs faster the mile split is 6 secs slower 6:28 which I think is due to the headwind on Ordnance Survey road. I thought I was running into the wind down Chesterfield Avenue as well but the wind was behind you on Furze rd but the second mile split was not much faster 6:30. I was running on my own for pretty much the whole race except for the first couple of hundred metres. Nobody passed me after that and I think I only passed a couple of people. Third mile was slow 6:50. I had a bit left and picked up the pace rounding the bend and finishing in. Last 0.13 in 6:08.

Happy enough with my run. It was a good hard effort which I would have struggled to do on my own at home and the effort was consistently hard all the way. I think I ran a slightly harder race than I did in the JB. Finished 13th female overall and 6th FO. Overheard a few people at the finish who were all a bit slower. Claire finished in 25:38 chip which she was happy with considering her current fitness level and Rachel was happy with her result too so all in all a good day :D

3m @ 10:16

Ooops too fast :o Watch was on km splits. My uncle has just arrived with a big xmas cake :D Sound. Supplies were getting low ...... this should get me through Saturday's hill session anyway :D

Just about to retire my log:

Total mls|2126
    Total hrs|318:43

Dist|2012 PB|2013 PB
    5k|0:21:25|0:19:38
    8k|0:37:12|0:33:24
    10k|n/a|0:42:54
    10m|n/a|1:14:40
    HM|1:38:55|1:36:34
    Mar|3:57:49|3:28:48

My favourite races:

The Limerick marathon because it was such a buzz. The last mile was so much fun. I thought I was deadly :D
    The Poulmucka 8k - I was still on my marathon high and it was the first race I ran that I did a good job pacing myself.
    The Jingle Bells - the first time I finished a 5k race and felt like I would like to run another in the future

My favourite training run:

The Boards Wicklow Way lsr :D

I think I hit 2013 running :D thanks to the weekly plans Meno did on the graduate thread after DCM 2012 and I was in a good place to start marathon training in Feb. I'm very grateful to Meno for providing me with the marathon plan for Limerick and also for all his help and advice with the training. I don't think I'd have done as well with p&d.
    I've learned a lot this year. The most important thing I think was that recovery from a marathon should not be underestimated. I pushed myself too hard trying to get back in good form to race the 50k in Portumna in Jun. Even though everyone was telling me to just run it for fun I wasn't listening and I was definitely on the verge of overtraining. Luckily I knew things were not right with my body when I was getting stupid vague injuries and a very interrupted sleep pattern and I pulled back in time to avoid it becoming a chronic problem. It did mean that I struggled with training through Aug/Sept/Oct though because even though I pulled back as soon as I felt good again I started ramping up the training intensity.
    Luckily for me ecoli stepped in and I finished off the year in really good form :D

Just about to retire my log:

Total mls|2126
    Total hrs|318:43

Dist|2012 PB|2013 PB
    5k|0:21:25|0:19:38
    8k|0:37:12|0:33:24
    10k|n/a|0:42:54
    10m|n/a|1:14:40
    HM|1:38:55|1:36:34
    Mar|3:57:49|3:28:48

My favourite races:

The Limerick marathon because it was such a buzz. The last mile was so much fun. I thought I was deadly :D
    The Poulmucka 8k - I was still on my marathon high and it was the first race I ran that I did a good job pacing myself.
    The Jingle Bells - the first time I finished a 5k race and felt like I would like to run another in the future

My favourite training run:

The Boards Wicklow Way lsr :D

I think I hit 2013 running :D thanks to the weekly plans Meno did on the graduate thread after DCM 2012 and I was in a good place to start marathon training in Feb. I'm very grateful to Meno for providing me with the marathon plan for Limerick and also for all his help and advice with the training. I don't think I'd have done as well with p&d.
    I've learned a lot this year. The most important thing I think was that recovery from a marathon should not be underestimated. I pushed myself too hard trying to get back in good form to race the 50k in Portumna in Jun. Even though everyone was telling me to just run it for fun I wasn't listening and I was definitely on the verge of overtraining. Luckily I knew things were not right with my body when I was getting stupid vague injuries and a very interrupted sleep pattern and I pulled back in time to avoid it becoming a chronic problem. It did mean that I struggled with training through Aug/Sept/Oct though because even though I pulled back as soon as I felt good again I started ramping up the training intensity.
    Luckily for me ecoli stepped in and I finished off the year in really good form :D

Fair play to you, that's so impressive its scary. Thanks a mil for all your help and support on novices thread, looking forward to great things from you in 2014.

That's a might impressive OCD type log that you have there!!

I use SportTracks to log my runs, gives me similar info downloaded from the Garmin. Takes a bit of getting used to and is not free.

But something tells me that you like the excel, the ownership and responsibility of the macros and the fact that it's YOURS!

Great detail in your log, interesting in the mileage that you put on your shoes, I generally use mine til 400/500 miles, I can feel a difference at that stage.

• Advertisement

That's a might impressive OCD type log that you have there!!

I use SportTracks to log my runs, gives me similar info downloaded from the Garmin. Takes a bit of getting used to and is not free.

But something tells me that you like the excel, the ownership and responsibility of the macros and the fact that it's YOURS!

Great detail in your log, interesting in the mileage that you put on your shoes, I generally use mine til 400/500 miles, I can feel a difference at that stage.
    :D I'm only OCD about my running, I swear. The bit in bold is so true it's funny. I love the excel and thanks to Rom for his brilliant thread on how to set it up. As regards the shoes I use the ones with >500 miles just for recovery runs and I find they still have enough support for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

2014 is the year of the horse :D Great things to come for you and Mireya ;)

RubyK wrote: »
    2014 is the year of the horse :D Great things to come for you and Mireya ;)
    Hee hee :D I like it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ya I love riding Mireya :D

I wouldn't have done this race only I'd entered Claire a couple of days ago.

What has happened to you since the last time I met you?? ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    What has happened to you since the last time I met you?? ;):D
    :P

I wondered how long you'd be able to resist the riding innuendos :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement