Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck Sunday.

What range of distances are you focusing on (with the "getting faster" emphasis?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Good luck Sunday CM. What's the target?
    Thanks a mill. 32:30 is the target so I'll be seeing you at the finish ;)
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    Good luck Sunday.

What range of distances are you focusing on (with the "getting faster" emphasis?)

I'd be quite happy trotting around 5k's for the year to be honest. I've decided I quite like them :D However HM's are my nemesis so I'll be doing 2 or 3 of them as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Thanks a mill. 32:30 is the target so I'll be seeing you at the finish ;)

I'd be quite happy trotting around 5k's for the year to be honest. I've decided I quite like them :D However HM's are my nemesis so I'll be doing 2 or 3 of them as well

You need to run them faster then :D

Good luck on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Best of luck young lady, remember the words of Jean Luc P. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck young lady, remember the words of Jean Luc P. :)

Energise?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

You're in great form for Sunday K. Hope the wind is at our backs on the coast road!:D

Hopefully will get to meet you at long last:) Look out for bib #165 in the Raheny colours

ecoli wrote: »
    Energise?:confused:

"Make it so"

RedRunner wrote: »
    You're in great form for Sunday K. Hope the wind is at our backs on the coast road!:D

Hopefully will get to meet you at long last:) Look out for bib #165 in the Raheny colours
    Thanks R I'll keep an eye out for you :D
    "Make it so"
    Cheers dude. Ditto for you in Dungarvan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Best of luck! You'll have a great day with all that hard work done. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Good luck tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Best of luck in the morning

Friday:

Rest. Was quite busy with the horses so didn't miss my run too much :)

Saturday:

2.5m @ 10:27

with 4 x 60m strides (all 14s)

Looking forward to tomorrow. I think I'm in good shape even though I needed the strides today just to wake my legs up a bit. Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow. I'm too lazy to visit all the logs :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Have a great one CM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck! You will fly it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Hope you've a great race K - you've done some excellent training, mentally you seem to be ready so just go out and do your best on the day. Once you do that you can be proud of whatever the clock says at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Best of luck today CM, go and smash it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Well??

Beef wrote: »
    Well??

... this "we'll publish the results in the paper tomorrow" lark isn't helping...

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    ... this "we'll publish the results in the paper tomorrow" lark isn't helping...
    Haha patience sir ;)

Haha patience sir ;)

Feck that. Well??

• Advertisement

Haha patience sir ;)

Seriously. Feck the race report. Give us the time, the details can follow.

Seriously. Feck the race report. Give us the time, the details can follow.
    :D Was on the phone. 34:09 watch time

I was thinking it was going to be some report! Well done K - pb? Happy?

BTW that means i got chicked twice in one day over two different distances. Hope you're both satisfied. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

You can take an extra second off that - 34:08 official chip time!

34:09

Watch time but I think that's fairly accurate. Bit disappointed with the time but it was the best I could do on the day. Heart rate has been high all week but I still thought I was in great form especially after the session on Thursday. I was pretty confident really because I thought I'd improved fitness wise/aerobically since the Jingle Bells. I read AMK's race report from last year and he had basically run the race I wanted to run this year so I decided to try and run the same splits as he did. Did a 1.5m warm up with a few boardsies with 4 x 10s strides and everything felt good. I lined up with MS just outside the sub 35min marker. We probably could have been a bit further up but I think it was ok. Ecoli had told me to be conservative on the first mile anyway. Gun went and we were off. Going around the first corner I spotted Mr. Stew about 50m in front of me. MS and I were wondering where he had got to as we had both intended on sheltering behind him when we turned into the wind on the main road. First mile 6:30. Actually thought it was a couple of seconds faster at the time but it was perfect so I was happy out. I was passing people out all the time but still managing to keep as sheltered as I could. The wind was tough in places though. Second mile 6:33. Caught up with Mr Stew around here. I briefly thought about staying with him but we were on a downhill bit and I was feeling pretty strong. MS was just behind me all the way and a few minutes after I passed Mr S she came up alongside me and we ran together. Just going down another hill the two of us were side by side. I was under a bit of pressure at this stage and I did a most unladylike thing and let out a big fart. MS burst out laughing and all I could think was how has she energy to laugh!! Passed Meno shortly after this and he gave us a shout out which was greatly appreciated. My breathing was fine but my legs were starting to feel a bit jelly-ish. Third mile 6:36. I went through 5k in around 20:10 and although I rallied for a bit going down the hill before we turned onto the coast I couldn't keep with MS even though she was brilliant with the support and encouragement. Struggled to pick up the pace any bit along the coast rd really. Fourth mile 6:52. My legs were pretty weak now but my breathing was still ok so I never felt like completely stopping or anything. Mr Stew passed me and told me to keep with him and I did for about 20m. Belcarra passed me and I tried to go with him too but it didn't happen. Managed to keep about 30m behind him all the time until just before the finish when he sprinted on. Fifth mile was pretty slow 7:30 but I picked up the pace a little for a sprint to the finish.

So not a great performance but I know I can run faster than that so not too bothered. As always it was lovely to meet all the usual boardsies and to put some faces to new ones :D

...just go out and do your best on the day. Once you do that you can be proud of whatever the clock says at the end.

Sounds like you did it K. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Well done CM great report and running, sorry you didn't hit your target but as you said yourself you know you have it in you it just wasn't the day for it. Anyways I don't know how ye even raced in those conditions today so a big well done and enjoy these goodie bags everyone is on about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

34:09

Watch time but I think that's fairly accurate. Bit disappointed with the time but it was the best I could do on the day. Heart rate has been high all week but I still thought I was in great form especially after the session on Thursday. I was pretty confident really because I thought I'd improved fitness wise/aerobically since the Jingle Bells. I read AMK's race report from last year and he had basically run the race I wanted to run this year so I decided to try and run the same splits as he did. Did a 1.5m warm up with a few boardsies with 4 x 10s strides and everything felt good. I lined up with MS just outside the sub 35min marker. We probably could have been a bit further up but I think it was ok. Ecoli had told me to be conservative on the first mile anyway. Gun went and we were off. Going around the first corner I spotted Mr. Stew about 50m in front of me. MS and I were wondering where he had got to as we had both intended on sheltering behind him when we turned into the wind on the main road. First mile 6:30. Actually thought it was a couple of seconds faster at the time but it was perfect so I was happy out. I was passing people out all the time but still managing to keep as sheltered as I could. The wind was tough in places though. Second mile 6:33. Caught up with Mr Stew around here. I briefly thought about staying with him but we were on a downhill bit and I was feeling pretty strong. MS was just behind me all the way and a few minutes after I passed Mr S she came up alongside me and we ran together. Just going down another hill the two of us were side by side. I was under a bit of pressure at this stage and I did a most unladylike thing and let out a big fart. MS burst out laughing and all I could think was how has she energy to laugh!! Passed Meno shortly after this and he gave us a shout out which was greatly appreciated. My breathing was fine but my legs were starting to feel a bit jelly-ish. Third mile 6:36. I went through 5k in around 20:10 and although I rallied for a bit going down the hill before we turned onto the coast I couldn't keep with MS even though she was brilliant with the support and encouragement. Struggled to pick up the pace any bit along the coast rd really. Fourth mile 6:52. My legs were pretty weak now but my breathing was still ok so I never felt like completely stopping or anything. Mr Stew passed me and told me to keep with him and I did for about 20m. Belcarra passed me and I tried to go with him too but it didn't happen. Managed to keep about 30m behind him all the time until just before the finish when he sprinted on. Fifth mile was pretty slow 7:30 but I picked up the pace a little for a sprint to the finish.

So not a great performance but I know I can run faster than that so not too bothered. As always it was lovely to meet all the usual boardsies and to put some faces to new ones :D

I thought we were going to keep that a secret;) I'm actually still laughing, I'm so juvenile, I'm worse than my boys.
    Fantastic result K:D I'm delighted for you. I also slowed a lot in the last mile, it was an absolute killer

Marthastew wrote: »
    I thought we were going to keep that a secret;) I'm actually still laughing, I'm so juvenile, I'm worse than my boys.
    Fantastic result K:D I'm delighted for you. I also slowed a lot in the last mile, it was an absolute killer
    I know but I thought it was too funny not to share ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done, good result on a tough day! Eat plenty of chocolate to regain your strength!

I know but I thought it was too funny not to share ;):D

BTW does it still count as a pb if it was wind-assisted??? :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done CM - great work on a tough day for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Good race in the circumstances K, think I passed you at one point but I was blowing hard so wasn't chatty, apologies...probably just aswell with you stinking out the course :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great run in the middle of a weather warning - I was out for an easy run this evening and thought of all the brave souls racing against that breeze today. Super stuff!

Love the honesty in your reports K.

Your last sentence sums it up - you are much faster than that, everyone knows that.
    20:10 for a 5k split is something you'd have jumped at not too far back.

BTW - This must be the 1st time you've referred to me as AMK. Must be catching on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done K. That's still a great time even though you are disappointed with it. Pity I didn't get to meet you today:(. In fact the closest I got to see any Boardsie was when I saw Mr Stew pop his head up at the start line looking back into the crowd as they lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done K. That's still a great time even though you are disappointed with it. Pity I didn't get to meet you today:(. In fact the closest I got to see any Boardsie was when I saw Mr Stew pop his head up at the start line looking back into the crowd as they lined up.

We got split up heading to the start and he was looking for us.... I was very perturbed as I needed him to shelter behind on the windy sections;)
    Hope it went well for you?

Marthastew wrote: »
    We got split up heading to the start and he was looking for us.... I was very perturbed as I needed him to shelter behind on the windy sections;)
    Hope it went well for you?

Sounds like it was windier than anyone anticipated. Be careful who you run with, eh?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

statss wrote: »
    Good race in the circumstances K, think I passed you at one point but I was blowing hard so wasn't chatty, apologies...probably just aswell with you stinking out the course :-p

Sounds like she was blowing pretty hard herself :)

Well done great race.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Mr Stew passed me and told me to keep with him and I did for about 20m. Belcarra passed me and I tried to go with him too but it didn't happen. Managed to keep about 30m behind him all the time until just before the finish when he sprinted on. Fifth mile was pretty slow 7:30 but I picked up the pace a little for a sprint to the finish.

Well done! We must have been so close together (my gun time was 34.06 and chip 33.52) -- I didn't see Mr Stew in the race, but in photos going up Watermill we're in the same group, and Belcarra and I were passing each other back and forth for a good bit of the race.

What were you wearing (we might have seen each other!) - I was in green shorts & a Raheny top.

Well done & glad you enjoyed it.

PS I never do race reports because I don't have a Garmin and can usually hardly remember the course at the end as I'm in such a daze, so I love reading other people's! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Well done! We must have been so close together (my gun time was 34.06 and chip 33.52) -- I didn't see Mr Stew in the race, but in photos going up Watermill we're in the same group, and Belcarra and I were passing each other back and forth for a good bit of the race.

What were you wearing (we might have seen each other!) - I was in green shorts & a Raheny top.

PS I never do race reports because I don't have a Garmin and can usually hardly remember the course at the end as I'm in such a daze, so I love racing other people's! Thanks!

You would have gone past CM somewhere just after the top of the hill and before the left turn off Watermill Road.
    Good meeting you properly yesterday HA and well done again on an excellent race!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Brilliant report CM and it was great to meet you yesterday. Keep up the quality training and the times will keep coming down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Good honest report CM. That race will stand to you later in the year. Keep the faith with your training

BTW - This must be the 1st time you've referred to me as AMK. Must be catching on :)

Hey, if you wanna be an old lad that's your prerogative :p Just don't go bleedin changing it again!

Thanks R. Sorry I didn't see you. I kept a look out for you but it was a bit like trying to find a needle in a haystack :D
    HelenAnne wrote: »

PS I never do race reports because I don't have a Garmin and can usually hardly remember the course at the end as I'm in such a daze, so I love racing other people's! Thanks!

Thanks Helen. Fantastic race from you. You must be delighted especially on your home ground. I was wearing green shorts too and a green and white singlet. I'd say you motored past me :D Loved the race and will defo be back next year so thanks to all your clubmates as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hey, if you wanna be an old lad that's your prerogative :p Just don't go bleedin changing it again!

Thanks R. Sorry I didn't see you. I kept a look out for you but it was a bit like trying to find a needle in a haystack :D

Thanks Helen. Fantastic race from you. You must be delighted especially on your home ground. I was wearing green shorts too and a green and white singlet. I'd say you motored past me :D Loved the race and will defo be back next year so thanks to all your clubmates as well

I did see you!! You were running really well. I remember being surprised I was catching up with you as I'd seen you looking very strong a good bit ahead of me. Well done -- that was a great time, despite the very blustery day.

I was pleased. It was a minute faster than last year. The home support does really help. I'd say everyone around me knew my name, so many Raheny people were shouting me on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant race report K, I had a good laugh at your honesty! Well done, onwards and upwards :D

Monday:

Rest.

Heart rate was 50 yesterday but back down to 45 today. Left hamstring was a bit sore after the race so I did some stretches and foam rolled it and it improved a lot.
    Found one of the young horses dead in the field this morning by the river. Dunno what happened to her. I think she just dropped dead because there was no sign in the field of her struggling. There was thunder and lightning last night but she wasn't hit by the lightning because there was no burn marks on her unless she was standing in the river when the lightning struck and got electrocuted that way.

Tuesday:

3m @ 10:31

Was supposed to do a longer easy run but was running along at 9:30 pace and I got a really bad stitch that just got worse when I continued to run so I switched to a recovery run and I had no problems at the slower pace. Heart rate back up to 52 today. Don't really understand what's going on. I hate January :mad:

Rest

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxG8Ng0vQiS2b-3znkJUo9ip-5xo8ytCRSsz67IviljbpCmZkj

Happy enough not to be running today although it was a lovely day here. RHR 46. If it's below 45 tomorrow I'll do a few easy miles and some strides.

Thursday:

Rest

Friday:

3m @ 10:30

January:

SnakesAndLadders.jpg
    Miles: 176
    Sessions: 6
    Races: 2

Saturday:

Rest

Sunday:

6.7m @ 9:02

RHR 42. My body has finally moved out of the meltdown zone emo49.gif The first couple of miles were tough. Difficult to know if that was because of the headwind or the fact that my muscles were unsure how to run. I wanted to run for an hour to bring my weekly total to two hours :rolleyes: Mission accomplished :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement