Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Monday:

3.3m @ 10:30

Just trying to think did anything at all happen on this run ....... nah ...... just your bog standard recovery run with a little bit added on to bring me up to a whole number again it's just a weird thing I have going on, no cause for concern!

Tuesday:

8m @ 9:04

with 6 x 120m strides (23,24,23,23,22,22)

Roads were a bit slippy - was holding my breath going through the flooded parts. Otherwise it was all lovely jubbly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Monday:

3.3m @ 10:30

Just trying to think did anything at all happen on this run ....... nah ...... just your bog standard recovery run with a little bit added on to bring me up to a whole number again it's just a weird thing I have going on, no cause for concern!

I do that too! You'll often see numbers like 6.1 / 3.2 on my log. It might not even correspond to the week - it might be for the month (or the year). :o

Wednesday:

8m easy @ 9:05

with 6 x 120m strides (23,22,21,22,22,21)

Thursday:

7m steady @ 7:55

Life is good :D

When's the next race c_m?

Beef wrote: »
    When's the next race c_m?
    MSB 5k Mar 16th. I've decided to give the HM in Bohermeen a miss partly because I don't feel ready and partly because I don't want to drive to Meath!

Hope your session went well last night. That was one of my favourites when I was training for Limerick :D

Very good, you're picking and choosing your races like a horse trainer now. ;)

Session went great, didn't post on my own log yet as I'm in Dublin with the missus for a cardiology appointment so no access to the watch. All were at or faster than marathon pace though! :D

Friday:

3m recovery @ 10:30

Saturday:

8m easy @ 9:03 incl 6 x 120m strides

Wind. Rain. The sun made a brief appearance. Then more wind and rain. Happy with the way this week is going though running wise. Legs feel good and my breathing is good at the easy paces.

13m @ 8:58

I enjoyed this. It was bright and sunny mostly and the wind wasn't too annoying. Legs were a bit tired but in a good way. 50 miles run this week :D

Monday:

3m rec @ 10:30

Tuesday:

8m easy @ 9:03 incl 6 x 120m strides

Slowed the strides down a bit in preparation for tomorrows session. They felt very easy. My breathing was well under control and they were still averaging around 5:40 pace so I am happy out :D

• Advertisement

7m @ 8:45

I was going to use the treadmill for the session but I'd probably want to kill myself after just doing the warm up so I headed out the road this afternoon. It was pretty windy but I thought it would be okay if I just focused on effort. When I turned into the wind I was brought to a standstill at times but I still thought it would be ok when I turned to do the faster bits. Optimism can only get you so far however and it was all I could do to keep in a straight line never mind try and increase the pace. Didn't bother with strides at the end because I couldn't hear if there were cars coming , my ass was nearly at the frostbite stage and I was afraid a tree was going to fall on me. The last two miles was kind of like a fartlek though because the wind was nearly lifting me off the ground at times. Was looking out my window when I got home and I thought the view looked different. I could see right down to the road. And that was because the roof was gone off the shed - thankfully it didn't land on my van this time!

Session :D:D:D

2m w/u - 9:10, 8:40

12 x 75 secs @ 5k pace effort with 45 secs walking recovery:

1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12
    6:02|6:21|6:25|6:35|6:04|6:04|6:01|5:52|5:59|6:01|6:07|5:52

2m c/d - 9:41, 10:01

Delighted with this. Delighted I got it done because it looked dodgy this morning when I saw snow everywhere. I was so happy when I came out from work and saw the sun out and the snow gone it almost made me forget about how hungry I was. It was still windy though. Compared to yesterday it was like a breeze but I think that is why reps 2-4 are slower because I felt like I kept a constant effort all the way. The second last one was probably the hardest because I was getting a bit tired and there was a little hilly bit at the end. The last one was sweet though because I had turned the corner and the wind was behind me and it was slightly downhill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great work CM. So 5:50 / 6:05 is your new 5k pace..........super! ;)

Great work CM. So 5:50 / 6:05 is your new 5k pace..........super! ;)
    Ah I'm not going to get too excited about the pace of a 75 sec rep :P What I was really happy about yesterday was that I'm getting much more confident about just trusting myself to find my own pace and that I kept a constant effort all the way.

3m @ 10:32

Was going to give this a miss because I didn't fancy the treadmill and I'm sick of running through rivers but I had a toffee crisp on the way back from the shop so needs must. Was actually a lovely evening for a run and I had company .... met a pointer dog after half a mile who came the whole way with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3m @ 10:32

Was going to give this a miss because I didn't fancy the treadmill and I'm sick of running through rivers but I had a toffee crisp on the way back from the shop so needs must. Was actually a lovely evening for a run and I had company .... met a pointer dog after half a mile who came the whole way with me.

No greater motivator than the sneaky snack earlier in the day. :)

• Advertisement

No greater motivator than the sneaky snack earlier in the day. :)
    Ha :D Very true

2m w/u @ 8:46

4m @ 6:59, 7:01, 6:56, 6:54

2m c/d @ 9:36

It was too windy for this. Had to work way too hard :( I was going to do easy miles and strides when I saw how windy it was but it was lovely and sunny out and the warm up was easy (the wind was behind me :rolleyes:) so I said I may as well lash into the HMP miles. Then I should have kept it at 7:15 pace but the first mile wasn't too hard and I was too pig headed to slow down after that even though I was working at 5k effort. Oh well at least my lungs got a bloody good workout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice session C-M

TbL

12m @ 8:56

Was thinking my legs would be knackered after yesterday but they were surprisingly sprightly and the further I went the better I felt. At the same time happy out to be only doing 12 :D Oh and Spring is here :D

Monday:

3m rec @ 10:32

Tuesday:

8m easy @ 9:09 with strides

Wednesday:

7m total
    2m w/u @ 9:14

Hill session - 10 x 1min hills with walk back rec

1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10
    6:43|6:21|6:32|6:32|6:35|6:26|6:33|6:39|6:44|6:34

2m c/d @ 11:18

:D:D:D I knew these were good because I felt strong even with the headwind and I was hitting the same spot on every rep. I hardly had to look my watch. Around the 7th or 8th I did start to wonder why I like these so much and I felt a bit light headed on the last one. But then it was all over and hills were back to being my favourite session :D I needed a little pep talk yesterday but it obviously worked wonders cause I am very happy with this!

Yay Aimman is back :D

• Advertisement

8m @ 9:00

incl 6 x 120m strides

Was having a nice laid back kind of a morning and I had literally just finished my second breakfast at 11 o clock when I got a call to be in work at 2pm :eek:That meant I had to head out on my run straight away and I thought I might have to cut it short if my breakfast didn't play ball. Lucky for me there were no issues and my legs felt great today.

I had literally just finished my second breakfast

:D
    2nd Breakfasts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Yay Aimman is back :D

I'm slowly intergrating myself back into running society now that I have been banished from the Eating / Drinking and Sloth groups. Your training and racing is coming along great. At this rate, if you fall off the horse you have a good chance of beating the rest of them on foot. :D

Friday:

3m recovery @ 10:34

Saturday:

7m @ MP (7:45 today ;))

7:55, 7:53, 8:01, 7:44, 7:28, 7:36, 7:38

Very windy here today but I was prepared for it. I learned my lesson from last weeks killer HMP 5k session where I had to work way too hard. The plan today was to aim for sub 8 min miles into the wind, as long as that was comfortable and to keep the effort constant the rest of the time. That worked a treat - happy with the splits and had an enjoyable run. Win win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Friday:

3m recovery @ 10:34

Saturday:

7m @ MP (7:45 today ;))

7:55, 7:53, 8:01, 7:44, 7:28, 7:36, 7:38

Very windy here today but I was prepared for it. I learned my lesson from last weeks killer HMP 5k session where I had to work way too hard. The plan today was to aim for sub 8 min miles into the wind, as long as that was comfortable and to keep the effort constant the rest of the time. That worked a treat - happy with the splits and had an enjoyable run. Win win :D

Nice work! It's so tiring running against the wind

12m @ 8:57

Tried to make this route as hilly as possible. One biggish hill in the first mile then downhill with the wind behind me for the next four miles (sweet :D) then mostly uphill and into the wind for the last 7 miles with two biggish hills in the last 2 miles.

Monday:

Tuesday:

8m easy @ 9:12 incl 6 x 120m strides

Up very early to do this. I haven't needed to run early for ages so it was a small shock to the system. I like running in the mornings in the dark when the world is asleep. It's very peaceful and if you go before sunrise it's cool because it's like you see the world waking up. I'm doing this race in August with this team :D SO EXCITED that I keep smiling randomly during the day. Fine when I'm at home but not so good when I'm at work staring vacantly at my co-workers and grinning like I'm possessed :D I was planning to head to Galway to get a mountain bike but now I have to work this afternoon instead so I may get a chance to go tomorrow if I get up early again and get my session done. I've started to work on my upper body strength (pull ups, push ups, weights etc) and it's also given me a kick up the backside to do some yoga :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Monday:

Tuesday:

8m easy @ 9:12 incl 6 x 120m strides

Up very early to do this. I haven't needed to run early for ages so it was a small shock to the system. I like running in the mornings in the dark when the world is asleep. It's very peaceful and if you go before sunrise it's cool because it's like you see the world waking up. I'm doing this race in August with this team :D SO EXCITED that I keep smiling randomly during the day. Fine when I'm at home but not so good when I'm at work staring vacantly at my co-workers and grinning like I'm possessed :D I was planning to head to Galway to get a mountain bike but now I have to work this afternoon instead so I may get a chance to go tomorrow if I get up early again and get my session done. I've started to work on my upper body strength (pull ups, push ups, weights etc) and it's also given me a kick up the backside to do some yoga :D

Ballyhoura is EPIC!! You will absolutely love it. The MTB trails there are designed for speed

Make sure you get a bike with disk brakes, it's an essential piece of kit for that type of track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Westside Cycles in the city and Moycullen Bike Works (only 15 mins from the city) are my go-to shops for mountain biking. Nigel's Cycles isn't too bad either, but they're more focussed on road bikes. Beast of Ballyhoura is a, em, beast, I've heard. Enjoy the training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Adventure racing? Nice one - welcome to the light. All that's left is to get the wet suit... :D

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Adventure racing? Nice one - welcome to the light. All that's left is to get the wet suit... :D
    Have one picked out ;):D

So this is what training with Ecoli does to you.............

Ha ecoli likes to make my training as diverse as possible :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

First Dory Dory and now CM..... fecking Tri heads stealing all my women :D (Reckon the post raheny meltdown of my training made her see I was sinking like the titanic :p)

Session :D

2m w/u @ 9:15 ish

10 x 90 sec @ some pace with 75 sec walking recovery

1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10
    5:57|6:07|6:04|5:59|5:57|5:42|5:42|5:50|5:58|5:40

2m c/d @ 10:05 ish

Smokin :D Delighted with this. Find these sessions much more enjoyable since I stopped fussing about the pace and just concentrated on effort. Added an extra 10 sec to one of the recoveries by mistake. Probably was working a small bit harder than necessary but the feckin lying b@stads on met eireann told me it would be calm today. Do they not realise I base my route choice on the information they provide me :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Session :D

2m w/u @ 9:15 ish

10 x 90 sec @ some pace with 75 sec walking recovery

1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10
    5:57|6:07|6:04|5:59|5:57|5:42|5:42|5:50|5:58|5:40

2m c/d @ 10:05 ish

Smokin :D Delighted with this. Find these sessions much more enjoyable since I stopped fussing about the pace and just concentrated on effort. Added an extra 10 sec to one of the recoveries by mistake. Probably was working a small bit harder than necessary but the feckin lying b@stads on met eireann told me it would be calm today. Do they not realise I base my route choice on the information they provide me :eek:

Schoolgirl error! Have you not migrated across to Yr.no yet?? I wouldn't go near RTE/Met Eireann these days with their ambiguous 4 seasons in 1 day forecasts which really tell you nothing.

Re: the session - What is the goal here? To improve leg turnover/speed?
    I ask as I rarely do reps so short but last night for the first time I did a (800m/600m/400m/200m)x3 session and thought how beneficial this would be to my 5k pace.
    So, just looking for a bit more background to your reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ha ecoli likes to make my training as diverse as possible :D

I'd say he does alright ;)

belcarra wrote: »
    last night for the first time I did a (800m/600m/400m/200m)x3 session and thought how beneficial this would be to my 5k pace.

sorry for the hijack CM, but Belcarra hasn't got a proper log :) to ask him Q's on.

Did you do the 400's & 200's at the same pace as the 800's & 600's?
    I found it quite hard to run them at that pace especially the 200's, where you naturally just want to go faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

sorry for the hijack CM, but Belcarra hasn't got a proper log :) to ask him Q's on.

Did you do the 400's & 200's at the same pace as the 800's & 600's?
    I found it quite hard to run them at that pace especially the 200's, where you naturally just want to go faster.

Rep - 800m Rep - 600m Rep - 400m Rep - 200m
    Target: 4:15 4:11 4:08 4:05
    Set: 1 4:13 4:04 4:04 3:44
    Set: 2 4:10 4:06 3:53 4:00
    Set: 3 4:15 4:09 4:11 4:12
    Average: 4:13 4:06 4:03 3:59

Basically I targeted them gradually down from 10k to 5k pace. As you can see they all worked out a bit faster on average than target but there was a strong breeze on my back all the way along the coast path apart from the final 400m & 200m intervals which were back into the breeze.
    I'm still not sure how much of it was me going faster over the shorter stuff and how much of it was the watch lagging behind the change in paces and struggling to compute. It always swings too far in the speedy direction before righting itself to the correct pace. Given it typically takes 400-500m for this to calibrate any distances under that are open for debate in my opinion.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »

Re: the session - What is the goal here? To improve leg turnover/speed?
    I ask as I rarely do reps so short but last night for the first time I did a (800m/600m/400m/200m)x3 session and thought how beneficial this would be to my 5k pace.
    Ya just working on my speed for the next race which is the MSB 5k. Last time I did 12 x 75 sec off the same recovery so just building up the distance. They're supposed to be done at 5k pace but as far as I know it doesn't affect the dynamics of the session if you do them faster so I just aim to keep the same effort for all the reps

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQl7nu2mVzTmnDeY95nP03rsVAglE8yrTwVFXdy1jwGd1EwAbAefA

http://www.konaworld.com/lava_dome.cfm

Went to Moycullen Bike Works as recommended by AKW and Micilin Muc. Liz was brilliant and spent nearly 2 hours sorting me out with the bike and all the bits and bobs. Going to go for a little spin tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQl7nu2mVzTmnDeY95nP03rsVAglE8yrTwVFXdy1jwGd1EwAbAefA

http://www.konaworld.com/lava_dome.cfm

Went to Moycullen Bike Works as recommended by AKW and Micilin Muc. Liz was brilliant and spent nearly 2 hours sorting me out with the bike and all the bits and bobs. Going to go for a little spin tomorrow :D
    Congrats, you will be the talk of the parish, enjoy.

expect Digger comments................('cos I'm thinking them but he'll say them)

Nice!

Did you get cleats? They'll take a bit of getting used to but we'll worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nice!

I used cleats for the Beast in 2012. It was a mistake. I've since put cages on. Cleats are good for general MTBing though.

Well wear CM. Give me a shout if you are down in Kilfinan any time soon and I'll meet you at Ballhoura for a spin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I used cleats for the Beast in 2012. It was a mistake. I've since put cages on. Cleats are good for general MTBing though.

Just wondering why you didn't like them for the Beast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

expect Digger comments................('cos I'm thinking them but he'll say them)

Resistance is futile...Resistance is futile. ... It's just too easy ;):)

Nice!

I got these pedals for it is that what you mean? I didn't want to have to get cycling shoes because the less stuff I have to carry for the beast the happier I'll be. Liz said I may take a few chunks out of my shin with them but I'll get used to them!
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Resistance is futile...Resistance is futile. ... It's just too easy ;):)
    Come on now lads this is a family friendly forum. It's what I'm good at that's all I need to say ;)

I got these pedals for it is that what you mean? I didn't want to have to get cycling shoes because the less stuff I have to carry for the beast the happier I'll be. Liz said I may take a few chunks out of my shin with them but I'll get used to them!

Come on now lads this is a family friendly forum. It's what I'm good at that's all I need to say ;)

Nope. Did she recommend a cage for them? What shoe are you planning on wearing? There are some tough bike climbs on the trail, your feet will slip like mad if you don't get it right

Nope. Did she recommend a cage for them? What shoe are you planning on wearing? There are some tough bike climbs on the trail, your feet will slip like mad if you don't get it right
    No she said if I needed to I could make the cleats on the pedals longer. I was planning on wearing my asics gel ds trainers because I never get blisters with them

• Advertisement
Advertisement