Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

No she said if I needed to I could make the cleats on the pedals longer. I was planning on wearing my asics gel ds trainers because I never get blisters with them

I'd strongly advise against that. The track is very tight and you will be smashing off stones and rock. Runners won't give you enough protection IMO.

Have you got hiking shoes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Just wondering why you didn't like them for the Beast?
    They were fine for cycling and I prefer cleats for cycling, however it was a very wet weekend and we were constantly soaked. It was a pain, literally, to carry them on the trekking stages. Dead weight. Also slower transitions changing shoes
    Gavlor wrote: »
    I'd strongly advise against that. The track is very tight and you will be smashing off stones and rock. Runners won't give you enough protection IMO.

Have you got hiking shoes??
    Yes off road shoes were more robust and have better grip but the ds trainers will do until you get some. Plus one of the team may be able to source trail shoes at cost price for the boards beast team, Team Tri Harder :)

Can i just say that I'm mad jealous of you doing this.

Maybe next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Can i just say that I'm mad jealous of you doing this.

Maybe next year!
    To whet your appetite
    race report from 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thursday:

3m rec @ 10:32

Legs Whole body appreciated this. Didn't get out on the bike because I had to work at the last minute and then I had to do overtime and then it was dark and I just wanted to sleep :)

Friday:

8m @ 9:11 incl 6 x 120m strides

Keep thinking today is Saturday because I had the recovery run yesterday. Followed this up with 47min/10 miles on the bike :D Claire sent me a book on orienteering - I'm not renowned for my sense of direction ;)

February:

182 run miles / 27 days
    10 bike miles / 1 day
    5 sessions
    0 races

7m easy @ 9:25

Bit slow today. Was out for dinner last night with friends from college that I haven't seen in years and it was late early when I got home. Next year is our 10 year reunion :eek:

11m progression:

4m easy - 8:54, 8:50, 8:44, 8:38

3m steady - 8:09, 8:03, 7:55

2m @ MP - 7:30, 7:22

1m @ HMP - 7:07

1m @ 10k - 6:53

Woke up this morning at 2a.m with a sore throat. One of those ones where swallowing is like OW!. Took some paracetamol and when I woke at 8 it was improved. RHR was 41 so I decided to fire on with today's session. Glad I did because I felt strong and breathing was good. The last 2 miles were hard work with the headwind so I'm very happy with the paces esp the last mile. It wasn't in the plan but I did 1 mile c/d as well @ 11:24 pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Excellent session CM.

TbL

Monday:

3m rec @ 10:32

Tuesday:

8m easy @ 9:26 incl 6 x 120m strides

Still have a bit of a head cold. Nothing serious, RHR staying at 40. Used my new headtorch this morning that I got from Amazon. I like it, not too heavy or uncomfortable and makes cars dip their headlights before they're actually on top of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Used my new headtorch this morning that I got from Amazon. I like it, not too heavy or uncomfortable and makes cars dip their headlights before they're actually on top of me.

Nice. I got blinded all the way home yesterday from cars on full beams. What kind of headtorch did you get?

• Advertisement

Nice. I got blinded all the way home yesterday from cars on full beams. What kind of headtorch did you get?
    This one I think you might have recommended it on another thread :D

This one I think you might have recommended it on another thread :D

Ah, I have that one alright! It's nice and light. You can detach the light from the strap and tie it to your helmet for MTBing ;)

8m @ 9:55
    incl 6 x 120m strides

Went for a 14 mile spin on the bike yesterday evening. Didn't mean to go quite so far but I found a new route with some nice hills. Must remember to bring a jacket in future when I'm on the bike - was praying it wouldn't rain. My throat was a small bit raw today so I slowed down the pace so that my breathing was under no stress. I thought maybe I might ditch the strides but I felt pretty good at the end. I normally do the strides up hill the slope but decided to do them the other way today and they felt very easy. Just out of interest I timed one of them and it was around 5:20 pace so my legs are feeling perky anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Did you ever receive that goody bag in the post from Raheny 5 miler??

belcarra wrote: »
    Did you ever receive that goody bag in the post from Raheny 5 miler??
    Haha no ..... didn't think I would somehow ;)

3m rec @ 10:29

I had a disturbing conversations with a little girl this morning. She was about 6 or 7 and she wanted to know if I had kids :eek: Like WTF do I LOOK like the type of person who would have kids??? I would have quite liked to grab her by the scruff of the neck and demand she explain such a RIDICULOUS question but her dad was standing by, beaming adoringly, so I had to content myself with a fake smile and a hope that the chicken pox she's suffering from doesn't leave her with permanent scars.

A lady has just called to the door now to tell me that she's starting up a mass service in her house and would I like to come. First thought - I'd rather shoot myself in the foot but in the spirit of neighbourly goodwill I told her that would be just delightful when I have the time.

I feel the need for more exercise endorphins but it is a recovery day and I still have a sore throat so I will reluctantly abandon the 20 mile cycle I have planned and do it tomorrow instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I had a disturbing conversations with a little girl this morning. She was about 6 or 7 and she wanted to know if I had kids :eek: Like WTF do I LOOK like the type of person who would have kids??? I would have quite liked to grab her by the scruff of the neck and demand she explain such a RIDICULOUS question but her dad was standing by, beaming adoringly, so I had to content myself with a fake smile and a hope that the chicken pox she's suffering from doesn't leave her with permanent scars.

A lady has just called to the door now to tell me that she's starting up a mass service in her house and would I like to come. First thought - I'd rather shoot myself in the foot but in the spirit of neighbourly goodwill I told her that would be just delightful when I have the time.

I feel the need for more exercise endorphins but it is a recovery day and I still have a sore throat so I will reluctantly abandon the 20 mile cycle I have planned and do it tomorrow instead.

Wrong forum I think! Maybe the poor kid was overcome by your motherly like kindness and figured you must have kids??:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

We need to get you running hard again to release all this pent up rage. :eek::eek:

Your like the anti - Marthastew at the moment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Do people with kids have a certain look??

Have a quiet afternoon at work so can either analyse my own training plan or start a fight on someone else's log - second one sounds like more fun :D:p

• Advertisement

Cleanman wrote: »
    Wrong forum I think! Maybe the poor kid was overcome by your motherly like kindness and figured you must have kids??:pac:
    Nah I don't think so! On reflection I think the kid has a severe form of chicken pox affecting her visual pathways :P

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Do people with kids have a certain look??

Have a quiet afternoon at work so can either analyse my own training plan or start a fight on someone else's log - second one sounds like more fun :D:p
    Yes. They look old :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Have consulted with Mrs Joad and she respectfully disagrees :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

You can tell you didn't grow up in Tallaght :pac:

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Have consulted with Mrs Joad and she respectfully disagrees :p
    ecoli wrote: »
    You can tell you didn't grow up in Tallaght :pac:
    Fair point :D

When I worked in the vet practice people asked me was I on work experience, how was I set for the leaving cert and most often where was my daddy. Nobody has ever ever asked me have I got kids ..... I've obviously reached a new low :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Jesus! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ecoli wrote: »
    We need to get you running hard again to release all this pent up rage. :eek::eek:

Your like the anti - Marthastew at the moment :D

It's the power of the dark side. Throw that bike away!

Beef wrote: »
    Jesus! :eek:
    I know. Kids eh .... little sh!ts they're so cute
    RayCun wrote: »
    It's the power of the dark side. Throw that bike away!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

The poor devil that called to the door doesn't know what she has drawn on herself, it will be an exorcism that will be needed.

blocky will be heartbroken that you have such an awful opinion of him and his demographic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Many parents are in their thirties and look slightly demented.

No idea how that kid thought you might be one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Sure didn't you mother a load of us on the novice thread & put your virtual arm around us or was it a case of ;

I would have quite liked to grab her by the scruff of the neck and demand she explain such a RIDICULOUS question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Sure didn't you mother a load of us on the novice thread & put your virtual arm around us or was it a case of ;

Fair point well made;)

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Fair point well made;)
    Ha! Bet you guys are glad I was a virtual mentor now :D

7m @ 9:00

Easy pace is back to normal but my sore throat is still lingering in the back ground so no hard running this week. Had my lunch when I got back and then headed off on my bike to explore some new hills. Love that about the bike - can stuff myself with food and it's no problem :D Next time I'm marathon training I'll do this route The hill at 13m is a brute to cycle up and I think it might be just as bad to run up :cool: It was lovely out and I got the 20 miles done (108 min) and I did 35 min of yoga/core exercises last night too so cross training is going well this week.

You're getting it wrong!!

It's kms for the bike. Miles are only for running.

That hill looks like a monster! you should join strava for those kind of challenges...

I'll pm you a link of the top 100 bike climbs in ireland, I'm sure there are a few around your way

You're getting it wrong!!

It's kms for the bike. Miles are only for running.

That hill looks like a monster! you should join strava for those kind of challenges...

I'll pm you a link of the top 100 bike climbs in ireland, I'm sure there are a few around your way
    Cheers that would be great thanks. Re the km v miles I can't be bothered changing the garmin - maybe I'll just go with time on the bike in future ;)

Cheers that would be great thanks. Re the km v miles I can't be bothered changing the garmin - maybe I'll just go with time on the bike in future ;)

It's really the only way to measure MTBing, unless you repeatedly use Strava on the same course to time yourself.

Strava is good for running too!

7m @ 9:16

The wind is not my friend :( First 3 and a half miles were hellish. I was lethargic (even though I had 12 hours sleep last night :o), hungry and the wind was doing a very good job of pushing me back in the direction I came from ....... then I turned around and all was well in the world :D

10m @ 8:54

Very comfortable. Included as many hills as I could (3) and followed it up with 80 minutes on the bike.

The week in a table: ;)

Activity|Time|Dist
    Running|7hrs 15min|46m
    Cycling|4hrs 2min|83k
    Yoga|1hr 40min|

Monday:

Rest. End of a 36 day running streak. Had loads to do anyway. At long last the gallop is no longer waterlogged so was able to start exercising the horses properly again.

Tuesday:

8m easy @ 9:12 incl 6 x 120m strides

Was up early for this so it was a bit cold but felt good. Went out on the bike this afternoon but I chose a bad route. Had 35min done when I heard a big swoosh from my back tyre. Uh oh puncture time. Fecking ditches were cut at the weekend and there must have been a plethora of thorns on the road that I didn't see because it turned out I had not one, not two but three punctures :mad: At least I got good practice at mending them anyway

• Advertisement

Session:

2m w/u @ 8:38

Time|Pace on|Pace off
    1 min| 6:17|13:34
    2 min| 6:01|11:51
    3 min| 6:18|11:30
    2 min| 5:56|10:59
    1 min| 5:54|11:46

2.7m c/d @ 9:22

I thought this went well when I was doing it. Effort felt consistent but just looking at the paces there they seem a bit all over the place :confused:

6m @ 9:09

incl 6 x 130m strides

No cycling the last couple of days. The two tyres were flat as pancakes yesterday morning and my bike time yesterday was spent trying and failing to locate more punctures. Pumped up the tyres again but a few hours later they were flat :( Got a bucket of water and stuck the tube in it but no holes to be found :confused: I could have kicked the wall at this stage
    but I didn't because that would have been stupid and childish and possibly would have hurt ;)
    It was after I decided to replace one of the tubes that I had my eureka moment when I noticed that in order to pump up the new tube I had to open the little valve at the bottom of the bigger valve and that got me wondering....

Lesson 101 in bike puncture repair: Make sure you close the valves properly when you are finished pumping the tyres

Simples :D

That's funny!

Lesson 102, be sure to rub your hand along the inside of the tyre to check for shrapnel that can cause repeating punctures.

Lesson 103, ALWAYS sand the area that the patch is to be applied to!

Lesson 104, ignore the last 2 and just get someone else to repair it!!!!

And if you ignore 104 and repair yourself, buy decent repair kits. Had punctures on two bikes this week due to old, cheap, self-adhesive patches starting to fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    And if you ignore 104 and repair yourself, buy decent repair kits. Had punctures on two bikes this week due to old, cheap, self-adhesive patches starting to fall off.

To hell with all this..lesson 100..don't bother with a bike!

blockic wrote: »
    To hell with all this..lesson 100..don't bother with a bike!

Pfff. You won't be saying that when CM's cross-training has her beating your pb's.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Pfff. You won't be saying that when CM's cross-training has her beating your pb's.
    Poor Blocky. It's just a matter of time. Why do you think he's emigrating? ;):D

Poor Blocky. It's just a matter of time. Why do you think he's emigrating? ;):D

To try find a woman????

Too far?

Lesson 105: if cycling on road, pump the tyres up to maximum PSI (pressure). Get a track pump so you have an accurate reading (€6.99 this week in Lidl). You'll get fewer punctures on max-pumped tyres.

• Advertisement

To try find a woman????

Too far?
    I'm sure Blocky has no trouble finding women!

Advertisement