Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm sure Blocky has no trouble finding women!

Spill the beans ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

menoscemo wrote: »
    Spill the beans ;)
    Quite the Casanova around Kilkenny by all accounts ;)

2m @ 10:30

Threw in 4 x 60m strides as well because it's sunny and I'm feeling good :D

14m @ 8:48

I didn't feel like racing today. Sorry ecoli :o I went for a long run in the hills around Knock village instead. I saw a sign for Ballyquaid mass pit and I've driven past it before so I googled it there now. I thought it was a big burial site from famine times maybe because there's not a whole pile to see! Also on this route are the ruins of a pretty little church.

|Time|Dist
    Run|5hrs 33min|37m
    Bike|2hrs 44min|55km
    Yoga|1hr 10min|

Bit of a crap week really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Bit of a crap week really :(

Not by most standards.

• Advertisement

Monday:

3m rec @ 10:30

I'm trying to keep one day a week purely for recovery so no extras like cycling/yoga/strength work ..... today was that day!

Tuesday:

8m @ 9:18 incl 6 x 120m strides

Slept badly and the cursed wind was a killer so the first 2 miles were dead slow but it was grand otherwise. Had planned to go for a cycle after work but it was 6pm when we were finished and I had to get sheep feed and go to the supermarket so it didn't happen. I did do 30min yoga + core stuff though.

Wednesday:

Session:

2m w/u - 9:24, 8:58

12 x 75 secs @ 5k effort with 60sec jog rec - broke these into 4 sets of 3 in my head

1|2|3
    6:08|6:10|6:15
    4|5|6
    5:59|5:57|6:04
    7|8|9
    5:52|6:06|6:02
    10|11|12
    5:53|5:43|5:42

2.5m c/d @ 10:29

Very pleased with these. It was tough because they were all into a headwind. Not very strong but you could feel the resistance and it was definitely adding to the effort. I had a lot of maths going on in my head between trying to remember what rep I was on and doing the 75sec/60sec calculations on my watch. I thought I might have done an extra rep because I covered an half a mile extra than I normally do but I guess that was just down to the jog rec.

This is the paces from the last time I did this session on 13th Feb - off 45 sec walk rec

1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12
    6:02|6:21|6:25|6:35|6:04|6:04|6:01|5:52|5:59|6:01|6:07|5:52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great session CM and nice comparison with previous session :eek:. You're in flying form.

3m rec @ 10:22

Slept really badly last night. Woke up several times with pins and needles/complete numbness in my left middle finger and index finger. Was pretty uncomfortable. I did a few triceps curls before I went to bed last night and I think maybe I had the weights a bit too heavy and I trapped a nerve or something. Anyway no bother from it during the day.

My friend fractured his fibula last month and then last week he tripped over the bandage and fractured his patella. I spent the afternoon helping him out at the racecourse before dropping him to the pub so I got no cycle done :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice interval session there. See you Sunday to make up for that missed bike session :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

A bike eh? Indeed.....mocking is catching:cool::P

• Advertisement

Nice interval session there. See you Sunday to make up for that missed bike session :)
    Cool looking forward to it. Pity Gavlor has to do a boring old 20 mile lsr or he could have come too :D
    upthe19th wrote: »
    A bike eh? Indeed.....mocking is catching:cool::P
    It's not just any bike. It's a luminous green bike with 29" wheels ........ because size matters ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Cool looking forward to it. Pity Gavlor has to do a boring old 20 mile lsr or he could have come too :D

It's not just any bike. It's a luminous green bike with 29" wheels ........because size matters ;)

Does it have stabilisers coz technique is important too:)

TbL

2m w/u @ 8:42

6m @ MP (7:34 av)

2m c/d @ 8:51

The splits for the MP miles are all over the place - first 3 into the wind but I kept the effort comfortably hard and I'm happy with how it went.

Does it have stabilisers coz technique is important too:)

TbL
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Woke up several times with pins and needles/complete numbness in my left middle finger (

Words fail me :eek:

14m @ 8:48

Was going to do this early but it was snowing so I went back to sleep. The sun was shining this afternoon but I also got wind, rain and a heavy shower of hailstones. March is the month of many weathers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Any races planned?

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Any races planned?
    The Kclub 10k on Apr 12th is next.

How are you? Any further with a treatment plan etc?

The Kclub 10k on Apr 12th is next.

How are you? Any further with a treatment plan etc?

Good stuff. I see that you're diversifying as regards the cross training. Had a look at the 'Beast' website - looks a great race.
    Back on the road last 10 days or so - all easy miles. Meeting orthopedic consultant in a fortnight so we'll see what he says. Did lsr this morning in a new pair of runners & don't have half the usual aches this evening so hopefully it'll help going forward.

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Good stuff. I see that you're diversifying as regards the cross training. Had a look at the 'Beast' website - looks a great race.
    Back on the road last 10 days or so - all easy miles. Meeting orthopedic consultant in a fortnight so we'll see what he says. Did lsr this morning in a new pair of runners & don't have half the usual aches this evening so hopefully it'll help going forward.
    That's brilliant news :D Fingers crossed for you.

Ya the Beast will be epic :D

• Advertisement

9m @ 9:16

incl 6 x 100m strides

Did this at 6a.m. Legs were a bit sleepy for the first two miles but I was motoring along grand then. Kept the strides a little shorter than usual just so I didn't overdo it.

Met Mike this afternoon for a spin on the Ballyhoura bike trails. I was early so I took a detour to where we used to live. I had a good snoop around to see what had been happening since I was last there 14 years ago. It was a bit surreal. Everything looked smaller than how I remembered it and driving along I seemed to immediately recall where to go. The trails were fun. They weren't there when we were kids although we used to go up the Ballyhouras a lot on foot and on horses. I learned a lot today. You have to concentrate all the time on the trails. I nearly got unbalanced at one stage and fell off a bridge into a river but luckily my survival instinct kicked in just in time :D

|Time|Dist
    Run|8hrs15|55m
    Bike|2hrs|14k
    Yoga|1hr20|

Didn't get as much bike work done this week. Too much other stuff going on. Will do better next week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

9m @ 9:16

incl 6 x 100m strides

Did this at 6a.m. Legs were a bit sleepy for the first two miles but I was motoring along grand then. Kept the strides a little shorter than usual just so I didn't overdo it.

Met Mike this afternoon for a spin on the Ballyhoura bike trails. I was early so I took a detour to where we used to live. I had a good snoop around to see what had been happening since I was last there 14 years ago. It was a bit surreal. Everything looked smaller than how I remembered it and driving along I seemed to immediately recall where to go. The trails were fun. They weren't there when we were kids although we used to go up the Ballyhouras a lot on foot and on horses. I learned a lot today. You have to concentrate all the time on the trails. I nearly got unbalanced at one stage and fell off a bridge into a river but luckily my survival instinct kicked in just in time :D

|Time|Dist
    Run|8hrs15|55m
    Bike|2hrs|14k
    Yoga|1hr20|

Didn't get as much bike work done this week. Too much other stuff going on. Will do better next week ;)

How did you find the slatted wooden paths??

Gavlor wrote: »
    How did you find the slatted wooden paths??
    It was one of them going over a river where I was nearly cream crackered! The ones on level ground were grand but I wasn't going fast and I'd say if they were wet they could be tricky :)

It was one of them going over a river where I was nearly cream crackered! The ones on level ground were grand but I wasn't going fast and I'd say if they were wet they could be tricky :)

That's just a normal days work for you!

Monday:

3m rec @ 10:28

Tuesday:

2m w/u @ 9:13

10 x 70 sec hills with walk back rec

1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10
    7:02|6:52|6:45|6:51|6:57|7:04|6:56|6:54|6:46|7:00

2m c/d @ 10:10

Wasn't too mad about the thought of doing these this morning so I decided the best thing to do was get them out of the way early. Love that I don't need a headtorch these days :D

Tues p.m.

2 hours and 37k on the bike. I'm allowed to be slow because it's all about time on the bike. I'm thinking I may need to source a different saddle because I'm not sure my ass is going to be happy with 8+ hrs on the current one.My shoulders were a bit sore as well :cool:

Wednesday:

3m rec @ 10:30

knackered.com

Was going to do 30min on the bike but I wasn't finished work till late and it was dark and I was hungry and it's a recovery day ;)

Thursday:

8m @ 9:33 incl 6 x 120m strides

I didn't feel tired but the first 3 miles were very very easy even by my standards. Strides felt good and strong and my breathing was nicely controlled

Thurs p.m

72min and 22k on the bike. Still have a bit of soreness across my shoulders when I'm on the bike. Seemed to be cycling into the wind whatever direction I went today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'm thinking I may need to source a different saddle because I'm not sure my ass is going to be happy with 8+ hrs on the current one.

You just haven't developed your saddle arse yet, when i got a bike first the first 8-10 cycles were pure agony. I was told to persevere by a more experienced cyclist and did. The saddle issue sorted itself out.

8+ hours in the saddle? WTF are you after getting into?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    :D

I'm not entirely sure myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Diggers head will explode when he sees this.

HMP session:

2m w/u @ 8:31

5 x 1mile @ HMP with 2 min jog rec: 6:59, 6:56, 6:52, 6:54, 6:58

2m c/d @ 9:56

Today is a good day for getting stuff done. I'm up since 5a.m. Have lambed 2 ewes and ridden out 5 horses :D The wind wasn't making the horses crazy like it has been doing for the last um 4 months :rolleyes: so I figured today was going to be a nice run day. And mostly it was. The first 3 HMP miles were comfortably hard but then I turned around and there it was waiting for me. That treacherous headwind - not very strong but just enough to wreck your head and make the last 2 reps a lot more difficult. Still a good session and another one in the bag :D

Fri p.m

Bike - 10.7k in 36min

Just a little spin out to loosen up my legs. Shoulders still a bit sore.

Saturday:

8m @ 9:11 incl 6 x 120m strides

Nice morning for a run. Legs feeling good.

Sat p.m

Bike 22k in 72min

My bike needed a wash after the trails and 22k in the rain provided ample washing time.

Sunday:

14m @ 9:00

Woke up early this morning. My phone was out of power so wasn't too sure of the time but it was dark. Not very dark and the rooster* was crowing and when I checked my garmin it was 5:45 but I wasn't sure if that was new time or old time. Got my headtorch on and off I went because it's all good training time ;) Nothing too much exciting to report. Did the last 200m @ HMP but that was not sanctioned by ecoli so shhhhh.

I think I'll leave it at that now for the week:

|Time|Dist
    Run|8hr 28min|54m
    Bike|4hr 22min|92k
    Yoga|1hr 10min|

* notice I didn't use the word cock ...... filthy mnds on here need no encouragement ;)

Sunday:

14m @ 9:00

Woke up early this morning. My phone was out of power so wasn't too sure of the time but it was dark. Not very dark and the rooster* was crowing and when I checked my garmin it was 5:45 but I wasn't sure if that was new time or old time. Got my headtorch on and off I went because it's all good training time ;) Nothing too much exciting to report. Did the last 200m @ HMP but that was not sanctioned by ecoli so shhhhh.

I think I'll leave it at that now for the week:

|Time|Dist
    Run|8hr 28min|54m
    Bike|4hr 22min|92k
    Yoga|1hr 10min|

* notice I didn't use the word cock ...... filthy mnds on here need no encouragement ;)

hehehe she said cock :pac:

Monday:

3m @ 10:53

Didn't feel too bad on this but I didn't have to make any effort to keep it slow and during the day I found my muscles were a bit achey all over.

March:

Running - 214
    miles Highest monthly total ever :D
    6 sessions
    0 races

Cycling - 243 km
    Longest bike ride 37k
    One day on the trails

Yoga - 5hrs 20min
    9 sessions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Is the yoga a new thing for you? Do you find it helps with recovery?

I've been about 2 or 3 weeks out of practice and I can feel the negative effects of it already.

Is the yoga a new thing for you? Do you find it helps with recovery?

I've been about 2 or 3 weeks out of practice and I can feel the negative effects of it already.
    No I've been doing it for years but not at a very advanced level. When I was 14 I fell off a horse. Even though I had a proper helmet on I hit my head pretty badly and I was in a coma for a couple of weeks. When I came round I was paralysed down my right hand side. I find the yoga helps with my balance and keeps my muscles nice and loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

No I've been doing it for years but not at a very advanced level. When I was 14 I fell off a horse. Even though I had a proper helmet on I hit my head pretty badly and I was in a coma for a couple of weeks. When I came round I was paralysed down my right hand side. I find the yoga helps with my balance and keeps my muscles nice and loose.

Crikey! :eek:
    It must make all the running and PBing all the sweeter though. :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Crikey! :eek:
    It must make all the running and PBing all the sweeter though. :)
    Ha :D Where have you been hiding yourself??? Are you doing the kclub again this year?

It wasn't something that affected me that badly. Probably worse for my family. It was just like having a really really long nap except when I woke up my head was a bit fuzzy and I had to tell myself to walk in a straight line :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

you're one interesting lady.

• Advertisement

Is it just me that's conflicted between sympathy, being impressed and recognising what day it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Is it just me that's conflicted between sympathy, being impressed and recognising what day it is?

It's career move that your talking about, it's just about crazy enough to be true

dazza21ie wrote: »
    It's career move that your talking about, it's just about crazy enough to be true
    Haha true story alright .... no need for any sympathy though :D

Haha true story alright .... no need for any sympathy though :D

Sympathy was a last resort in fairness. You're probably more likely to find it in a dictionary. (Apparently it's in between $hit and syphilis... :D )

Sympathy was a last resort in fairness. You're probably more likely to find it in a dictionary. (Apparently it's in between $hit and syphilis... :D )
    Haha you know of all the emotions I think sympathy is the most useless.

I didn't think you'd find $hit in a dictionary. Here's a little urban legend for you ;)

In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common. It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a byproduct is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came Below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM! Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.
    Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day* :D

*may not actually be true

Fantastic. That doesn't even need to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

spoilsport:
    if a world is older than the late 19th century, it isn't an acronym. '****' is far, far older than 16th century

RayCun wrote: »
    spoilsport:
    if a world is older than the late 19th century, it isn't an acronym. '****' is far, far older than 16th century

Well it has been happening for a long time ;)

RayCun wrote: »
    spoilsport:
    Haha :D It's just a story :P

This is funny though: The expression [the **** hits the fan] is related to, and may well derive from, an old joke. A man in a crowded bar needed to defecate but couldn't find a bathroom, so he went upstairs and used a hole in the floor. Returning, he found everyone had gone except the bartender, who was cowering behind the bar. When the man asked what had happened, the bartender replied, 'Where were you when the **** hit the fan?' [Hugh Rawson, "Wicked Words," 1989]

Tues/Wed:

Rest

I mentioned to ecoli that I didn't feel like my legs would handle 2 speed sessions this week. And he gave me a two day holiday for complaining ;)

Thursday:

8m @ 9:14

with 6 x 120m strides

It was dark when I did this and my headtorch is not as bright as I thought it was. Or maybe it just needs charging. The first mile was a bit slow anyway. Felt good - think the rest did me the power of good :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement