Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done K on the kclub result and no doubt there's more to come off that time!

Well done K...

Thanks K...

We are all in the K Club..... :D

Have I done that one before? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

jcsmum wrote: »
    K, best of luck with the log
    Thanks K
    blockic wrote: »
    What's this? Something out of Men in Black? :pac: :p
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well done K...

Thanks K...

We are all in the K Club..... :D

Have I done that one before? ;)
    Ya it's been done before - Blocky beat you to it :P

8m @ 8:58 with strides

I was motoring along for this one. Not sure if it was because of the steady run yesterday, doing it later in the morning after breakfast or because I had new shoes on. I got a pair of gel ds trainer 19 because I love the 18's. Not too mad on the 19's though because they've changed the material of the bit where your toe is. My right foot is a few mm bigger than the left and I kind of get the feeling that after a few hundred miles my right toe is going to be poking through said material.

Going to do my run tomorrow down in Limerick with my teamies and then head up on the bikes to do the Ballyhoura brown loop. I cooked a load of pasta for dinner so I could bring some with me tomorrow. Unfortunately I've eaten it all ....... and that folks is why you should never eat your dinner from the saucepan (even if it does save on washing up).

Currently I am waiting for my fifth attempt at the perfect flapjack to bake. New recipe. Sorry Gav. I know I said I really liked your ones but I've decided now the texture is not quite right or in the words of the great Mike Dundee "eh they taste like sh*t ............ but you can live on em" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't be blaming Gavlor - you probably put in the wrong size **** load of one of the ingredients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Don't be blaming Gavlor - you probably put in the wrong size **** load of one of the ingredients.

Women eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hi there. Meant to say congrats on your new PB at the K club earlier than this but I've been wrapped up in my own selfish little marathon world;)
    So well done and thank you for all your advisory posts on my log during my training. I consider you part of my back room team that helped me get my big pb:D:D:D

Lots more big results from you this year I reckon.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Women eh?!

I know - its not like you gave some vague instruction like a hape of oats...

RedRunner wrote: »
    thank you for all your advisory posts on my log during my training. I consider you part of my back room team that helped me get my big pb:D:D:D
    No bother. It's great to see people do something they're proud of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Not sure what recipe you were using for the granola bars CM, but I often make Gilly Bars, you get recipe on David Gillicks website. They are yummy, actually abit too yummy and addictive but sure hey you will burn it off anyhow :) If ya do decide to use the recipe you can get the dried skimmed milk in tesco, I usually mix around the ingredients depending on what's in the press.

Friday:

Run: 8m easy @ 8:30 (last mile @ 6:54)

Met shotgunmcos in Limerick this morning. It was beautiful out but not too warm thankfully. I hardly ever do training runs with people so I to concentrate a bit to breathe, talk and mind the pace all at the same time. We did a loop near to where I used to live and quickened up to HMP for the last mile. It was downhill for the first quarter of a mile and I had to pull back the pace a little and then uphill for the rest but I had Mike to draft off so no problems.

Bike: Ballyhoura brown loop

Back to the cars for water and food and then we headed up the mountain. I'm just about able to keep up with Mike on the uphill bits but I'm eating dust on the downhills. Did over 2hrs on the bikes - all good fun :D

• Advertisement

Saturday:

5m @ 8:58

Lovely jubbly :)

Sunday:

14m @ 8:38

Did this very early but didn't bother with my head torch. Picked a hilly route. Legs felt great and I wasn't that tired after it so I did 27k on the bike this afternoon on another hilly route.

This week

|Dist|Time
    Run|54m|7hr 54min
    Bike|75k|5hr 10min
    Yoga||0 = 2 lazy

Monday:

3m @ 10:31

Not really a proper recovery day though . Claire is home and came running with me. She's doing the Gold Coast Marathon in July and had 25k on the plan so I came after her on the bike when I was finished running with a bottle of water. Had to boot it on the bike to catch up with her. Rode out horses and then I walked a few miles moving horses out to the field for the summer. Slept like a log :D

Tuesday:

8m @ 8:46 with strides

Was dragging my heels about getting this done but it was enjoyable once I got going. Lovely running weather today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Monday:

Not really a proper recovery day though . Claire is home and came running with me. She's doing the Gold Coast Marathon in July and had 25k on the plan so I came after her on the bike when I was finished running with a bottle of water. Had to boot it on the bike to catch up with her. Rode out horses and then I walked a few miles moving horses out to the field for the summer. Slept like a log :D

Tuesday:

8m @ 8:46 with strides

Was dragging my heels about getting this done but it was enjoyable once I got going. Lovely running weather today

The word recovery shouldn't be in that day at all.:eek:

MP session

1m @ 8:36

6m @ MP (7:39, 7:39, 7:28, 7:24, 7:15, 7:24)

Happy with this. Had the virtual pacer on my watch set to 7:35 so I didn't have to wear my headtorch. I haven't used it for ages and it was both useful and mildly irritating at the same time. The wind messed up my splits a small bit.

MP session

6m @ MP (7:39, 7:39, 7:28, 7:24, 7:15, 7:24)

Happy with this. Had the virtual pacer on my watch set to 7:35 so I didn't have to wear my headtorch. I haven't used it for ages and it was both useful and mildly irritating at the same time. The wind messed up my splits a small bit.

Nice going, what time were you out at that you might have needed a head torch? On second thought don't tell me it will make me feel lazy!

Thursday:

8m @ 8:55 with strides

Early morning saunter. Can't remember much about it

Friday:

5m @ 8:38

Wore the camelbak I got for the Beast. Glad I did because although it's comfortable on the bike there were a few issues with it running. I'm doing the Ballyhoura Mountain Marathon Saturday week and according to the website....

There will be approx 3 water points on route @ 10 20 and 30k..
    We encourage runners to be predominantly self sufficient and just use stations to top up !!
    Please bring back pack with:

Light rain jacket
    Water
    Food/gels etc
    Charged mobile phone with organizers number.

I've entered Claire as well. As a surprise ;) I even bought her a camelbak. Bit of hill work will do her the world of good :D

Thursday:

8m @ 8:55 with strides

Early morning saunter. Can't remember much about it

Friday:

5m @ 8:38

Wore the camelbak I got for the Beast. Glad I did because although it's comfortable on the bike there were a few issues with it running. I'm doing the Ballyhoura Mountain Marathon Saturday week and according to the website....

There will be approx 3 water points on route @ 10 20 and 30k..
    We encourage runners to be predominantly self sufficient and just use stations to top up !!
    Please bring back pack with:

Light rain jacket
    Water
    Food/gels etc
    Charged mobile phone with organizers number.

I've entered Claire as well. As a surprise ;) I even bought her a camelbak. Bit of hill work will do her the world of good :D

What did Claire do to deserve that surprise I wonder, the poor girl!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    What did Claire do to deserve that surprise I wonder, the poor girl!
    It's just for being the best big sister ever :D

• Advertisement

It's just for being the best big sister ever :D

You did nt consider booking her into a spa or something a bit more relaxing? I think it will be like the time my sisters said we would meet for a picnic and did nt mention it was at the top of croagh Patrick!

HMP session

3m @ 8:40

3 x 1m @ HMP with 2min jog rec - 6:54, 6:46, 6:39

3.63m @ 8:30

Target pace for the HMP miles was 6:55. First one was into the wind and I had to work a bit. Think I went to sleep for the second one because I took a wrong turn and ended up in the Dunnes Stores car park. I had to duck under 2 barriers and jump a fence to avoid having to stop and turn around. The third one was probably a bit faster because I had turned out of the wind and I was keeping the effort the same. I'm finding the paces a lot more comfortable for the last few weeks.

We have 7 lambs that have to be bottle fed. A few of them were from triplets and the ewes can only look after 2 properly, one of them the ewe had no milk and one of them was attacked by a fox in the field. There's 5 boys and 2 girls and yesterday I was awoken from my afternoon nap by a loud baa-ing at the back door. The 2 girls had come up from the field looking for milk. How cute is that?

14m @ 8:35

Early morning run with the camelbak. Filled it up to the 2L mark - plenty heavy enough :eek: but at least the water tastes ok. I only drank about 200ml today so I'd say 1L will do me next week. Did 25k on the bike after.

|Dist|Time
    Run|56m|8hr
    Bike|65.5k|6hr 13

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

14 with 2kg on your back is impressive!

Monday:

Tuesday:

7m @ 7:55

I was running down the road this morning and the other career move saw me and started screaming at me from the field. That's not a normal thing for her to do. My eyesight isn't brilliant and the field is in a bit from the road but I could see her and one of the other mares and they seemed fine. I couldn't see Black Belt but there was a brown blob further up the field and I presumed it to be her. Didn't think any more of it and continued on with the run. Got a little surprise when I came home and checked them.....

j7yfrd.jpg

1zclhlu.jpg

photostream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Brilliant! Are you gonna name the little one Meno or Ecoli?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Looks like a Blockic to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Congrats on the new arrival c_m.

Hmmm somehow I don't think that question is all innocence :p

Looks like a Blockic to me.

You mean unsteady on his feet and unlikely to run any great distance any time soon? Too harsh.

Congrats on the new arrival:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Are you coming over to Limerick for a taper down 26.2M after the Ballyhoura run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Looks like Blockic to me.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    You mean unsteady on his feet and unlikely to run any great distance any time soon? Too harsh.
    Gavlor wrote: »
    FYP

Well played but screw the lot of ye! :D

Aimman wrote: »
    Are you coming over to Limerick for a taper down 26.2M after the Ballyhoura run?
    :D

It'd be rude not to!! I've heard the 4:30 bus is the place to be ;)

6m @ 8:40

Think I had the best of the weather for this. Early morning runs rock :D

April:

Run: 202 miles
    Races: 1
    Bike: 18 hrs incl 2 spins on the trails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

It'd be rude not to!! I've heard the 4:30 bus is the only place to be ;)

FYP :)

4m @ 8:40

It was raining this morning - can't remember the last time I ran in the rain. Thankfully it didn't last too long. Claire came with me on the bike. I took the back wheel off last Friday after being on the trails. It was a bit tricky getting it back on again and I'm not too sure what I did but the gears haven't been working properly since. They keep clunking especially when I change up to the high gears. I got the other camelbak today. Claire is up for the challenge although she was a bit alarmed when she saw last year's route map. Dad recognised one of the hills and mentioned that his car stalled going up that one day :D

Best of luck at the weekend K, you lunatic!!

Good luck, I think Claire sounds like she is taking it really well bless her.:D

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Good luck, I think Claire sounds like she is taking it really well bless her.:D

She'll be grand - I made her chocolate chip cookies and banana bread. She won't go hungry anyway :D

• Advertisement

She'll be grand - I made her chocolate chip cookies and banana bread. She won't go hungry anyway :D

Feck it I would have gone if I knew there was cookies!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: Enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Woohoo chocolate chip cookies and lent is well and truly over :D. See you gals Saturday ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You are in lofty lofty company now! Abhainn, Marthastew to name some of the very very few.. ;)

You are in lofty lofty company now! Abhainn, Marthastew to name some of the very very few.. ;)

Thanks Mike. Really appreciated your help for the first 10 miles.

4:25:50

First lady :D:D:D

Saw this race on the web a few weeks ago and thought it would be fun to do. I know a lot of the countryside around there and the race starts and finishes in Kilfinane which is where I grew up. Mike was up for it as well and we decided to make it into a good training day for the Beast. I signed Claire up for it as when I knew she was going to be home and although she complained she was well happy to be going back to Kilfinane. We had such a lovely childhood there and I'd say we were up in the Ballyhouras 6 or 7 days a week either on horses or on foot.

I had a little peek at the results from last year during the week and a place on the podium looked well within my capabilities - had to keep telling myself "this is just a training run, this is just a training run". When we were waiting in the hall before the race I had a good look around and there was no sign of last year's winner so I said to myself if a win was looking possible the training run was out the window.

Lined up a couple of rows back and soon fell into step with Mike. I'd planned to run the first bit at about 4hr pace but it was quite hilly so I just went at a comfortable pace. Mike suggested we have a strategy of running 20min walking 2min and we kept to that as long as the walks were on uphill bits. The terrain was pretty much all off road and in places it was very soft and boggy. I loved it though. I think once you start doing mountain races it's very hard to have any love for the road because the mountain races are just so much more fun and the terrain is so varied and challenging that the miles just literally fly by. I hadn't seen any women in front of me at the start and it when we asked at a water point after about 6 or 7 miles I seemed to be first lady. I was using Mike to pace off. I couldn't stay with him on the downhills especially if they were very technical but I'd catch him again on the flat and going uphill. I knew he was going to implode sooner or later though - his longest run this year is the 8 mile run he did with me. I said my goodbyes around 10 or 11 miles on a steep uphill bit and for the next few miles I was running with a guy from Mallow and a guy from Wicklow. I was walking the steep uphill bits and running the rest. Was feeling very strong all the time. Around mile 20 I found myself on my own pretty much. I couldn't be bothered making the effort to catch up with anyone and I wasn't for slowing and waiting for company. Was actually happy out although at mile 22 it nearly went all horribly wrong. I'm pretty blinkered vision wise when I run and I missed the sign to turn off into the woods. When I got to the road junction there was no signs which I thought was weird because the course was really well signed. I kinda of knew where I was but I wasn't sure how to get back to the course. Ran down the road and after a minute I spotted a guy walking. It took me a few minutes to catch up to him and I asked if he'd seen any marathon runners. He said ya about an hour ago but they were running the other direction. FCUK FCUK FCUK. Ran back up the road and after about a 1/4 of a mile I could see people running along the top road. I could have slapped myself I was so cross. Put the boot down instead and got back into a good rhythm. I passed Mary Finn and she said to go on and good luck. She didn't think that there was any other women close. Phew thought it must be my lucky day and ran on down the road and turned up onto another forest path. Was taking a breather here and a different women comes up behind me. You're running strong she says. I'm thinking who are you and where did you come from. Muttered something and then ploughed on. I felt I had more pace than her and I soon opened up a bit of a gap. I wasn't taking any chances though and I put the boot down for the last couple of miles. Was still feeling strong and really enjoyed running into the village and crossing the finish for my first win. I got a lovely trophy and two fab running tops. Also got a long sleeved race tee and go fed and got a shower all for a measly 40 euro.

Thanks so much to the organisers, MMRA and all the wonderful volunteers who gave up their time in pretty miserable weather conditions. It was a fantastic course and I would 100% recommend it. Claire had a great time. She finished in about 5 and a half hours and would like to reassure everyone that she is well, ambulatory and has sustained no long term physical or mental damage :D

[IMG][/img]r7q2ia.jpg

Pays to be a lunatic, fantastic result, well done c_m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done C_M, that's a great result on a savagely tough course.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Huge congrats CM savage result, me thinks you should be getting used to being first across the line :D
    What was the race?

Well fair play to you, you are a header:P I cant believe you got lost and still won, very determined! What was in those cookies you baked I wonder:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Epic performance. Gets lost. Still wins. :)

Advertisement