Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

SamforMayo wrote: »
    ****e, are you going to get it checked out tomorrow?
    Ya thanks, I'm going to the physio later. Not really looking forward to it as I imagine I'm in for torture but just to make sure I get good value for my visit I got bucked off one of the horses this morning. Ouch :D

3m @ 10:51

This was much more comfortable than yesterday. I landed on my right arse this morning and the pain in that balanced the pain in my left leg :D Physio trip went well. Tightness in my left itb and tfl and knotty bits in my quads and glutes. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be pain wise and my leg feels great since. I love my physio :D

Tuesday:

Rest

Wednesday:

3m @ 10:30

Thursday:

5m @ 8:42

Leg was perfect after the recovery run on Wednesday but it was a bit stiff/tired after today. I dd some yoga and foam rolling and it's good now but I feel like I may need to be patient with it.

I knocked over a cup of tea onto my laptop yesterday. It sustained fatal injuries and has departed to the electrical afterlife. May it RIP. Have a pain in my head from trying to decide on a new one :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I knocked over a cup of tea onto my laptop yesterday. It sustained fatal injuries and has departed to the electrical afterlife. May it RIP. Have a pain in my head from trying to decide on a new one :mad:

I feel your pain. Mine was fried by a lightning strike on our block of apartments. Thankfully the Garmin wasn't plugged in :pac:

Plan: 7m easy
    I really wanted this to be a pain free run. Yesterday afternoon I cycled 18k back from the garage and I had no bother from either leg but the right one where I fell off was a bit sore in bed. Started off well. First mile 9:09 very comfortable. Big sigh of relief. Second mile @ 9:00 Ok but starting to feel a dull ache in my left hip area which is getting progressively worse. I slow down the pace hoping that I'll get through the run even if it's at recovery pace but it's not really helping. SH!T. I turn off into the forest to see will the different surface help but it doesn't so I turn back for home thinking if I get 6m done I'll be doing well. I might try some strides if I get 6 done. Ow that hurts. Stupid leg. Actually maybe no strides just get the run done. Third mile 9:34. I'm not sure exactly where the pain is coming from but it's definitely muscular. Ok KT think like a muscle. Think. Like. A. Muscle. Slowing is not helping so lets play with the speed a bit and recruit some new muscle fibres ..... and it worked :DMy easy run became a fartlek session pain dissipated and I added in an extra hilly bit to bring me up to 7m :D

10m session

2m easy @ 8:58, 8:37 - comfortable, no pain

1m MP @ 7:23 - good, breathing controlled, no pain

2m easy @ 8:35, 8:24 - ok, can feel leg tightening up a bit

1m HMP @ 6:50 - comfortable, no pain

2m easy @ 8:08, 8:13 - leg tightening up a lot, consider only doing 1 easy mile but I stick to the plan and have to do a couple of accelerations during the second easy mile because my leg is starting to hurt

2m MP @ 7:29, 7:26 - have to work a tiny bit harder for these because the rain is lashing down and the wind seems to be in my face. No leg pain

So overall delighted to get this done. I think I'm making progress with my leg in that I'm able to get more miles done before it starts to ache and when it gets sore I can manage it pretty well and get my sessions done. When I finished it was quite uncomfortable but I jumped into a cold bath and that seems to have numbed all my muscles helped :D

Sunday:

Plan: 5m easy
    I think I'm making progress with my leg in that I'm able to get more miles done before it starts to ache and when it gets sore I can manage it pretty well and get my sessions done

Eh no. When I got up on Sunday morning I was walking like I needed a hip replacement. My body trying to tell me "you're fighting a losing battle there dearie". Did I listen? No I didn't. Set off to do a 3m recovery run. Got through the first mile ok but it was torture for the rest of the way. Walked most of it. That was the point when I accepted that I needed to stop running. Cue frantic emails to my physio

Monday/Tuesday:

Rest

Physio couldn't see me till Wed but I was working so then it was going to be FRIDAY :eek: Which meant I possibly mightn't be running till SUNDAY :eek: Which was disturbing to say the least ...... no running + food restrictions does not a happy career_move make :mad: I went on to the chartered physio website and as luck should have it I found one 20 minutes away and I got an appointment first thing Tues morning. I'd have preferred to get a recommendation but as I was desperate I figured worse case scenario she doesn't get it sorted and I have to wait to see the other physio on Friday. I needn't have worried though. She was really good. We went through everything including the whole of this month's training and then she did a pretty thorough examination including a few functional tests. Her assessment was that it was an overuse injury from the marathon. Left quad extremely shortened, Right quad not as bad. Trigger points in the left vastus lateralis, left gluteal muscles and left tfl. She did some deep tissue massage of the left quad which greatly improved the flexibility and then she did deep dry needling of the left glutes, vastus lateralis and tfl. I've never had deep needling done before. She finds the trigger points on the muscles, puts in the needle, wiggles it around and there's kind of a tickly sensation until she hits the spot and then it's like OW. I'm telling her all the time what kind of pain response I'm getting and where it's going. Mostly the pain is localised, running down my quads, going to the outside of my knee or up into my hip. It was interesting having it done but I was glad when we were finished! My leg was pretty sore for about 2 hours after but I got some stretches to do and I did these a couple of times yesterday as well as some yoga and the pain was gone by the time I went to bed.

Wednesday:

I did my stretches first thing and I spent the morning in work crossing my legs and clenching my butt muscles :D I really wanted to run today and my leg wasn't sore so I headed out when I got home from work. Running didn't feel good though. My left glutes were quite tight and sore so I stopped and came back in and did some stretches for about 10 minutes. When I headed out again I was way more comfortable and I did 2m @ 10:40. Baby steps and all that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Baby steps is right, i remember getting a bo!!iking 6 weeks ago or so. Listen to yourself & look after that leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I know 'pot, kettle, black' and all...............but you should chance a few more rest days! :rolleyes::)

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Baby steps is right, i remember getting a bo!!iking 6 weeks ago or so. Listen to yourself & look after that leg.
    I'm looking after it like a baby :D
    jcsmum wrote: »
    I know 'pot, kettle, black' and all...............but you should chance a few more rest days! :rolleyes::)
    I'm going to see the physio tomorrow morning and we'll see what she says. If I have to rest it I will force myself to rest it. Maybe take up knitting or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I'm going to see the physio tomorrow morning and we'll see what she says. If I have to rest it I will force myself to rest it. Maybe take up knitting or something :D

Does cycling affect the leg? Can't you just jump on the bike for a few days instead of running?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Oh I'd say knitting would suit you down to the ground alright!

Runchick wrote: »
    Does cycling affect the leg? Can't you just jump on the bike for a few days instead of running?
    I only really like cycling in the mountains. The road is so boring.
    Oh I'd say knitting would suit you down to the ground alright!
    2955o34.jpg

Thursday:

Plan: 3m rec

Started to get a bit sore after a mile and a half so ended up doing 2m @ 10:31 and finishing off the last mile at 12:45 pace. Felt comfortable enough once I had slowed down. I really find that super slow running is so helpful for the muscle soreness. I did my stretches when I had finished and the leg felt good. It felt even better this evening so I did another 2m rec run @ 10:26 pace and more stretches. Bloody rehab exercises are hard work :eek: 5 miles for the day :D:D

3m @ 8:34 :D

Plan was to do 3 miles at a comfortable pace ideally closer to easy pace than recovery. Physio was booked for this morning so I wanted to test my leg a bit to see what I was up to. First mile was comfortable (8:56), started to get a bit of tightness across my left quad halfway through the second mile (8:40) Tried to ignore it and although it didn't go away it didn't get any worse and I kept up the steady pace for the third mile (8:07) Did some stretches and then spent a good 70 minutes with the physio. Left quad is much improved since tues. Right quad was a little tight so she did some work on that. Calves ridiculously tight. Soft tissue work on those. OUCH OUCH OUCH. Avoiding the excruciating pain of having your calves rubbed out is definitely a big incentive to do stretches :eek: Soft tissue work on left quad and finally dry needling of left glutes and tfl. There was slightly less of a reaction to the needling than on tues and when we'd finished I was even able to walk pretty normally to my car :D No running allowed tomorrow ;)

3m @ 8:34 :D

Plan was to do 3 miles at a comfortable pace ideally closer to easy pace than recovery. Physio was booked for this morning so I wanted to test my leg a bit to see what I was up to. First mile was comfortable (8:56), started to get a bit of tightness across my left quad halfway through the second mile (8:40) Tried to ignore it and although it didn't go away it didn't get any worse and I kept up the steady pace for the third mile (8:07) Did some stretches and then spent a good 70 minutes with the physio. Left quad is much improved since tues. Right quad was a little tight so she did some work on that. Calves ridiculously tight. Soft tissue work on those. OUCH OUCH OUCH. Avoiding the excruciating pain of having your calves rubbed out is definitely a big incentive to do stretches :eek: Soft tissue work on left quad and finally dry needling of left glutes and tfl. There was slightly less of a reaction to the needling than on tues and when we'd finished I was even able to walk pretty normally to my car :D No running allowed tomorrow ;)

Back to the knitting so! Sounds like you are improving, good stuff!

• Advertisement

3m @ 10:26

I know I wasn't supposed to run today but I needed to lose a pound and this was the easiest way to do it. Felt good enough. I will definitely not run tomorrow!!

May:

Miles: 120m => lowest month so far this year :(
    Bike: 60k + no trails => not good :(
    Yoga/Stretches: hours + hours :eek:
    Physio visits: 3 :eek:
    One marathon win :D:D

Sunday:

Rest

I rested. And ate. Lots :D

Monday:

Ballyhoura brown loop

Met shotgun for a spin up the trails this morning. It was the middle of April when I was last up here on the bike so I was a little bit rusty and slow :o I noticed my bike fitness is not as good as it was but my legs feel stronger and I was able to go up the hills in a lower gear than usual. No bother from my quads thankfully :D I borrowed dad's jeep because my van is in the garage. It's a bit of a rust bucket and most mornings of late it has to be jump started. I forgot when I was saying bye to Mike that I actually needed him to wait in case I couldn't get it started. Luckily though it thought about not starting, gave a little shudder and then jumped into life so it was all good :D

Whats your plans for rest of year K, apart from your multi-sports race? You doing DCM, trip to Athlone this year or more cake in Charleville?

tang1 wrote: »
    Whats your plans for rest of year K, apart from your multi-sports race? You doing DCM, trip to Athlone this year or more cake in Charleville?
    Hey Barry. Definitely not doing DCM - hopefully going back to Galway with Mireya that day :D I think possibly I would get more cake in Charleville but Athlone kind of suits better because it's nearer and I could do the 5k in rathfarnham two weeks later :D

Hey Barry. Definitely not doing DCM - hopefully going back to Galway with Mireya that day :D I think possibly I would get more cake in Charleville but Athlone kind of suits better because it's nearer and I could do the 5k in rathfarnham two weeks later :D
    Great you can bring the cookies! Will you still be ok for Portumna with your injury worry?

• Advertisement

Great you can bring the cookies! Will you still be ok for Portumna with your injury worry?
    Haha no probs I got the cookies covered ;) Not sure about Portumna. Will have to see how I get on with running this week although if I think I can run a half marathon at any pace I'll more than likely do it :D

Good stuff, hopefully see you in Athlone so. Hopefully you'll be good to go for Portumna.

3.65m @ 8:42

Mile 1: Lovely happy out. Plan 5m easy + strides
    Mile 2: Start to feel my quad a bit. No pain just an awareness
    Mile 3: Leg is getting tight. Don't have to slow but I'm thinking might be better to leave it at 4m today
    Mile .65: Ok this is getting worse and worse and worse and then I get a dart of pain through my hip like it has been knifed that stops me dead in my tracks. I tried to stretch it out but it was no good and I had to hobble home. Thankfully not too far.

I've decided to forget about Portumna obviously. My leg was at me for the rest of the day. Mostly knee pain but it'll be grand as long as I don't run on it. I have a physio appointment for Thurs morning but I'm not going to go because it's not solving the problem. I get short term relief but as soon as I start running anything further than one mile I'm back to square one. I'm happy I've exhausted every avenue and the only option is to stop running for longer than 2 days! Time heals all wounds. I know people told me this 3 weeks ago but I'm pretty stubborn so I had to find it out the hard way. It only hurts when I'm running so I can cycle away and hopefully I'll be back in a couple of weeks....

Sorry to hear that c_m, hopefully the rest will sort it out for you and it doesn't require anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Sorry to hear C_M, hopefully you'll be back to 100% before you know it. Pity you won't make portumna, was looking forward to making excuses why you whooped me in the half :D:D Is it just me or are all these injuries happening since you started biking?? No? OK :D:D

Seriously though, hope it all clears up soon for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry to hear that K. You're like me in that I hate hearing that word 'rest'! :rolleyes:

Ah that's ****e for you! Hope you are better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Take care K. Hope you are back healthy soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

You can come to Portumna and be the official water hander outer person again.:D Or as they say here in Germany - Wasseranderoutenpersson.

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear C_M, hopefully you'll be back to 100% before you know it. Pity you won't make portumna, was looking forward to making excuses why you whooped me in the half :D:D Is it just me or are all these injuries happening since you started biking?? No? OK :D:D

Seriously though, hope it all clears up soon for ya :)

Everybody blames my poor defenseless bike :mad:
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that K. You're like me in that I hate hearing that word 'rest'! :rolleyes:

I know. Rest. It's an evil little word.
    Ah that's ****e for you! Hope you are better soon.

Thanks Sam. Hope your giving your leg the attention it deserves ;)
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Take care K. Hope you are back healthy soon.

Thanks R. Good luck tomorrow :D
    Aimman wrote: »
    You can come to Portumna and be the official water hander outer person again.:D Or as they say here in Germany - Wasseranderoutenpersson.

Haha I've always wanted to know how that would translate into German!!! If Ally is coming with cakes I'll do it :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday:

Nought. Was tempted by the devil to do one mile. Just to see. But I resisted. Satan be gone.

Thursday:

Lots of stretching and yoga. Was going to go out on the bike but I was busy with the horses and then it got late and I couldn't be bothered

Friday:

Bike: 53.2k

The furthest I've been on my bike and probably the fastest. Had a few steep hills to climb so I think I got a good enough workout :D

Everybody blames my poor defenseless bike :mad:

I know. Rest. It's an evil little word.

Thanks Sam. Hope your giving your leg the attention it deserves ;)

Thanks R. Good luck tomorrow

Haha I've always wanted to know how that would translate into German!!! If Ally is coming with cakes I'll do it :D

There'll be a few cakes baked alright. Knowing my luck, they'll be gone by the time I finish

There'll be a few cakes baked alright. Knowing my luck, they'll be gone by the time I finish
    It's hungry work handing out water ;) Are you doing the 50k?

It's hungry work handing out water ;) Are you doing the 50k?

Nah, just the regular marathon. I've feck all training for it so will be a miracle to finish. The 50k would be madness. Have the Lexlip 2 in 1 to do the week after so Portumna is a badly timed LSR, lol

Nah, just the regular marathon. I've feck all training for it so will be a miracle to finish. The 50k would be madness. Have the Lexlip 2 in 1 to do the week after so Portumna is a badly timed LSR, lol
    You crazee man! You do know that don't you :D

Saturday:

Bike: 16.5k

Went to the shop to buy chocolate. A fellow cyclist joined me for a couple of k. He was on a road bike. I was on my mountain bike. I had to pedal furiously when simultaneously trying to converse and give the impression I was effortlessly and nonchalantly moving the bike. I was glad when we parted ways :D

Sunday:

Bike: 43.1k

Trip to the shop again but had a few things to get so I had the camelbak on. Weighed it when I got home and it was 5kg. Felt heavier. I think I may need to start wearing the backpack more. Beast of Ballyhoura countdown 7 weeks to go. First thing people ask when I tell them about it 'Are you able to kayak' Answer I was twenty years ago. It'll be just like riding a bike right?! :D

Just over 163k and 8hours on the bike this week. Not too shabby :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Jesus I know Laois is bad but I didn't think that it was that short of amenities! That's a long ass trip to the shop! :D

blockic wrote: »
    Jesus I know Laois is bad but I didn't think that it was that short of amenities! That's a long ass trip to the shop! :D
    Haha :D Look at you wid all your liddle American slang goin on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

That's what I took from it too. Some big ass slang. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ha...burn on me..

Addiction: is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences

Hi my name is Kate and I have an exercise addiction.......

It's not anyway as bad as being an alcoholic. They wreck their lives, I'm just wrecking my legs but all the same it's getting a bit out of control since I injured my leg. For the last four weeks I have been in varying degrees of pain when I run. I've tried to ignore it, battle through it, deal with it, treat it but all the time I've refused to stop running. I didn't want to stop running because running for me is about more than just doing races and running pb's. I run because it makes me feel good, I'm always in control when I run, it makes me less anxious and able to deal with the other stuff that's going on in my life, I can control my weight and not worry about how much I'm eating, it gives me a huge sense of self worth, self discipline and I when I do my runs I get to revel in a little success every day.

I was in a lot of pain after my run last Tuesday and I knew I was going to have to stop. My body was screaming at me to stop. And I had good intentions. I told everybody I was going to stop. I told myself I was going to stop. I tried to replace it with the cycling. I had my physio's permission although I don't think she meant for me to do 163k in 5 days. But it's not the same. I don't get any buzz from cycling on the road. So I started running again. I was able to justify it to myself. I was only running a mile. I was only running recovery pace. It'll be fine as long as I stretch. It will help muscle recovery etc etc. But it was still hurting

I met my friend in work today and he was asking how my leg was. I told him it was still sore and he said 'have you been running on it' 'you told me you were going to rest it' 'cycling does not constitute rest or recovery' etc etc. The irony of being lectured to on my addictive behaviour by someone who had spent the weekend at a stag party and was suffering from a raging hangover was not lost on me I can assure you.

So this is plan. Back to the physio tomorrow to sort out my leg. I don't think I've done any serious damage. Yet. I just haven't helped myself heal in any way. I think the muscle fibres in my quads and glutes have a lot of microtears and I need the physio to sort out the pressure points because what I'm doing as regards stretching and foam rolling is not enough. From past experience I will feel brilliant after I've been to the physio but I need to rest completely to allow the healing to complete. No matter how good I feel I will not run or cycle for at least 10 days after. I am allowed to ride the horses because that's second nature to me and also to do yoga and stretches. My resolve will weaken as the days go by and I will try and bargain with myself. When this happens I will read this post over. I will not feed my exercise addiction with my chocolate addiction by claiming that I need to cycle to the shop. I will remember that I need to heal. I will not exercise. I will rest.

:(:(:(:(:(:(What can I say, I feel for you. I hope the 10 days pass quickly . I am however a bit worried about the poor horses:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Take the rest and get better, I know exactly how you feel, however, I don't have your willpower and I end up hitting the chocolate like that little fat focker in Willie Wonkas Chocolate Factory :)

Would you try an ice bath to speed up the healing?

TbL

:(:(:(:(:(:(What can I say, I feel for you. I hope the 10 days pass quickly . I am however a bit worried about the poor horses:p
    Haha :D I'm better at looking after horses than I am at looking after myself don't worry
    Take the rest and get better, I know exactly how you feel, however, I don't have your willpower and I end up hitting the chocolate like that little fat focker in Willie Wonkas Chocolate Factory :)

Would you try an ice bath to speed up the healing?

TbL
    Thanks TbL. I've tried everything I can think of. Ice baths, hot as fook baths, compression tights, massaging it with the roller, beating it with the roller. It just needs rest.

I'll bring you some cookies to Portumna to feed the inner fat boy. I'll be the wasseranderoutenpersson :D

Thanks CM,

Unfortunately I'll have to pass on the cookies as I had to pull the plug on Portumna coz I'm minding a few niggles of my own.

I'm sure we'll meet up at a race soon and I'll remind you of that cookie offer :)

Best of luck with the recovery

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sorry for your troubles you nutjob!

Regardless of the injury you'll benefit from the rest, enjoy it and come back stronger.

Fwiw I'd take a break from here too if I were you. Nothing more annoying than reading about all the great training on the logs

Gavlor wrote: »
    Sorry for your troubles you nutjob!

Regardless of the injury you'll benefit from the rest, enjoy it and come back stronger.

Fwiw I'd take a break from here too if I were you. Nothing more annoying than reading about all the great training on the logs

Or she could just read your log for a bit Gavlor :)

TbL (sorry couldn't resist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Or she could just read your log for a bit Gavlor :)

TbL (sorry couldn't resist)

Haha, fancy a race???? I might be lazy, creaking and slightly overweight but I still fancy my chances ;)

Haha, fancy a race???? I might be lazy, creaking and slightly overweight but I still fancy my chances ;)

If I could get the stabilisers off my Raleigh Racer I'd give it a blast, but as for the running I think I'll need to let you hibernate for another season or two!

TbL

Ah Gavlor! Do you not know the first rule of running in general and boards.ie in particular?? Covet not thy neighbour's runs

Day 14:
    Ok I ran a little bit on Monday. 6 minutes to be precise BUT I rested for the rest of the day. Therefore it counts

Day 13:
    Visit to the physio. I think we have found the problem. Hip bursitis She dry needled the tfl and outer quad muscle and then treated the hip bursa with some shockwave therapy. My leg was quite sore after so I iced it and then had a hot water bottle on it. One of them is bound to do good right?! Have to rest for 14 days now

Day 12:
    \Leg feels good today. Nearly broke into a little trot twice. Was rushing both times and I just naturally started to run. But I remembered those little sayings 'more haste, less speed', 'short cuts make long delays' and this one from the physio 'under no circumstances are you to come back here next week and tell me that you have been running' She has the power to inflict pain so I stopped! Went into the chemist to get some anti - inflammatories this afternoon. Physio recommended a 5 day course starting Friday but wasn't sure what would be best so said to ask chemist. Chemist hadn't a clue besides nurofen. Ya I could have told you that How many will I take? Once a day or twice a day? Chemist reads the back of the nurofen packet and tells me not to take more than 6 in a day and whatever I feel like apart from that. Great so I'm paying you a grossly overinflated mark up price on ibuprofen so that you can read the back of a nurofen packet for me :mad::mad::mad: I'm a much angrier person when I don't run

But I'm in a very good mood now because my friends gave me a horse :D It's a flat mare and she's very cosmopolitan .... she was racing in France yesterday, today she's in Newmarket, tomorrow she'll be in Errill :D So excited!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement