Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Mrs D has bursitis at the moment too - and only 3 weeks to her Waterford marathon. :( Same deal - anti inflammatory meds, rest. Hopefully you pay more heed to the rest bit than she is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Mrs D has bursitis at the moment too - and only 3 weeks to her Waterford marathon. :( Same deal - anti inflammatory meds, rest. Hopefully you pay more heed to the rest bit than she is...
    Crap :( Poor Mrs D. I'm lucky I have till August to get right. I thought the shockwave therapy was great. It's like having a miniature kango hammer on you. My physio used it around the hip bursa and I was getting pain responses in my outer knee and the front of my quad just like when I run. The main thing is to rest though so tell Mrs D she's not going to lose any fitness and the main thing is to arrive on the start line with a healthy hip bursa!

10359915_678418715562770_4014660862121761052_n.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What is it with the women of this forum? Are we jinxed?

Screen-shot-2013-06-26-at-3.16.19-PM.png

Oryx wrote: »
    What is it with the women of this forum? Are we jinxed?

Screen-shot-2013-06-26-at-3.16.19-PM.png
    Ha :D It's because we're so talented and hard working. Obviously ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Catching up here. Sorry to see you've been through the wars. Just to echo others ... take the time to identify the source and get right (I say this with 20/20 vision after three years of injuries ... if only I could go back in time ...). Try some foods with anti inflammatory properties ... e.g. tumeric ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Catching up here. Sorry to see you've been through the wars. Just to echo others ... take the time to identify the source and get right (I say this with 20/20 vision after three years of injuries ... if only I could go back in time ...). Try some foods with anti inflammatory properties ... e.g. tumeric ?
    Thanks I didn't realise tumeric was used so much in Chinese medicine until I googled it there now.

Curcumin has been found to: Inhibit the proliferation of tumor cells. Decrease inflammation. Inhibit the transformation of cells from normal to tumor. Inhibit the synthesis of a protein thought to be instrumental in tumor formation. Help your body destroy mutated cancer cells so they cannot spread throughout your body. Help prevent the development of additional blood supply necessary for cancer cell growth (angiogenesis) Unfortunately, while there's some curcumin in whole turmeric, there's not enough in the regular spice to achieve clinically relevant results. The turmeric root itself contains only about three percent curcumin concentration. Another major limitation of curcumin as a therapeutic agent is that it is poorly absorbed. When taken in its raw form, you're only absorbing about one percent of the available curcumin.

Do you use it yourself? I think the most important thing is rest and thankfully I'm in no pain at the moment and able to do all the things I normally do except run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

The curcumin phenomenon is a myth, efficacy has never been demonstrated in humans in trials which were properly designed (randomised and blinded) with sufficient numbers of patients.

Day 11 - Day 8

The resting continues ;) Can't remember what I did on Thursday but was up at 4:30 on Friday to work horses and was going all day and then we had a horse racing Fri evening in Clonmel. She ran really well :D Was knackered on Saturday and I forgot to set my alarm clock. I woke up at 5:30 though and I got up and had my breakfast but then I decided I'd go back to bed so I never made it to Portumna :D I did make it to the bike shop in Birr though and I got power straps for the Beast. I had to try them out so I went for a 10k spin on the bike. I've been keeping up the stretching, usually twice a day sometimes three times and today I thought I'd challenge myself with some strength tests - chin ups, pull ups, press ups and the plank. I did the chin ups first. There's a stalls here for scanning mares and it has a steel bar about 3 metres up off the ground so I used that. You have to climb up to it but it's pretty ideal.

Chin ups: 23 Thought I'd get to 25 but I started to feel a bit nauseous after 22 and then I dropped off the bar after 23. It's not bad though. My previous best was 20. I took a one minute break and I thought I'd be able to get stuck into the pull ups but my muscles had no strength and I had to drop off the bar after 2 :o I went in and I got some fruit and natural yoghurt and I sat down for 10minutes and then I tried again. Much better this time.

Pull ups: 14 Previous best was 12. I find these harder than chin ups because I think I can use my lower arm more for the chin ups and that's very strong from riding the horses. Another 10 minute break and I did the plank next because I knew I'd find that harder than the press ups.

Plank: 2min 43 I did this on the wii with the balance board. If you shake too much or if you're pelvis drops it makes you stop. I was shaking a lot but I think my pelvis must have dropped too much because although I was glad to stop I thought I could have lasted a bit longer. I've done 3 minutes easily enough before but I'd been practising for that whereas I haven't done a plank for months before today. Another 10 min and then...

Press ups: 28 Delighted with this because they were proper full stretch ones. Thought I might get to 30 but it was not to be. Did these on the wii as well and it's harder because it makes you pause before you do the next one and if you don't wait for the whistle it doesn't count them.

Plan for next week is to start building back up the cycling. Back to the physio Tues afternoon and hopefully Monday week I'll be all healed up and ready to run :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This is the most exhausting non-running log I've seen in quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I don't know any other women with that kind of upper body strength. I'm calling you for backup if I ever get in a fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I think your definition of no exercise is difference to the rest of us, Jaysus Rocky himself would struggle to keep up with you.

Murph_D wrote: »
    This is the most exhausting non-running log I've seen in quite some time.
    What can I say. I eat a lot. Have to burn off the calories somehow :D
    Oryx wrote: »
    I don't know any other women with that kind of upper body strength. I'm calling you for backup if I ever get in a fight!
    I have broad shoulders :o I'm not sure you'd need any back up. Shotgun doesn't call you the tough hoochie for nothing :D
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    I think your definition of no exercise is difference to the rest of us, Jaysus Rocky himself would struggle to keep up with you.
    Oryx has a broken leg and she's still exercising ..... ;)

Monday:

Wow. Woke up at 4:30 with serious DOMS in my left shoulder :eek: I could barely lift my arms high enough to tie back my hair. Funny that the left arm was a lot worse than the right. And it's my left leg that has the hip bursitis. Is that because my left side is weaker than my right or because the right side is weaker and the left has to do more work. Or is it all just coincidence :confused: Loosened out during the day anyway and thank god is was very warm when I had the horses out and they went easy on me because normally on a Monday they're full of beans!

Tuesday:

Physio again this afternoon. She dry needled the quads and tfl and more shockwave therapy on the hip bursa. I feel like there's a good bit of improvement and because I'm such a great little healer I get to do a small run on Saturday to test the water :D

Wednesday:

Bike: 30.5k in 1hr 25 min. Lashed on the suncream before I headed out for this. Was only going to do 20k but I fancied going a different way. I need to change one of the power straps because I think, even though I followed the instructions to the letter, that it's on the wrong way around.

Thursday:

Bike: 63.5k in 3hr 5min
    Elevation gain: 1,120 ft

Headed in the direction of the Slieve Bloom mountains today. I used to work around there and I'd often get lost on my way to calls. Seriously annoying if you get called out to a cow calving and by the time you get there the cow has calved :rolleyes: In the end my boss used to draw me out maps before I left the office. So with this in mind I made sure to bring a 1L bottle of water with me and some sweeties in case I got peckish.

It's no wonder I used to get lost. It's quite backward up there. The main road has grass growing in the middle of it and cars have to pull in to pass the bike. The signposts either say Slieve Bloom village drive, Camross or Coolrain and they all point in random directions. I went through Camross and a few km down the road there was a sign pointing to the right saying Camross 5k then at the next crossroads there was a sign to the left saying Camross 7k :confused:

After about 30k I realised I'd forgotten to bring my phone with me so I just did a small loop and then headed back the way I'd come. It was lovely up there with a really nice summer breeze blowing, the sun beaming down, lots and lots of trees and shrubs and the smell of freshly mown grass. I passed three or four little rivers/streams, a garden with a beautiful little miniature waterfall and two horse drawn carriages so it was quite an interesting cycle :D

So those 11 days of no exercise went really fast didn't they?:rolleyes:

So those 11 days of no exercise went really fast didn't they?:rolleyes:
    I like to think of the words 'no exercise' as being a relative term ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Day 11 - Day 8

The resting continues ;) Can't remember what I did on Thursday but was up at 4:30 on Friday to work horses and was going all day and then we had a horse racing Fri evening in Clonmel. She ran really well :D Was knackered on Saturday and I forgot to set my alarm clock. I woke up at 5:30 though and I got up and had my breakfast but then I decided I'd go back to bed so I never made it to Portumna :D I did make it to the bike shop in Birr though and I got power straps for the Beast. I had to try them out so I went for a 10k spin on the bike. I've been keeping up the stretching, usually twice a day sometimes three times and today I thought I'd challenge myself with some strength tests - chin ups, pull ups, press ups and the plank. I did the chin ups first. There's a stalls here for scanning mares and it has a steel bar about 3 metres up off the ground so I used that. You have to climb up to it but it's pretty ideal.

Chin ups: 23 Thought I'd get to 25 but I started to feel a bit nauseous after 22 and then I dropped off the bar after 23. It's not bad though. My previous best was 20. I took a one minute break and I thought I'd be able to get stuck into the pull ups but my muscles had no strength and I had to drop off the bar after 2 :o I went in and I got some fruit and natural yoghurt and I sat down for 10minutes and then I tried again. Much better this time.

Pull ups: 14 Previous best was 12. I find these harder than chin ups because I think I can use my lower arm more for the chin ups and that's very strong from riding the horses. Another 10 minute break and I did the plank next because I knew I'd find that harder than the press ups.

Plank: 2min 43 I did this on the wii with the balance board. If you shake too much or if you're pelvis drops it makes you stop. I was shaking a lot but I think my pelvis must have dropped too much because although I was glad to stop I thought I could have lasted a bit longer. I've done 3 minutes easily enough before but I'd been practising for that whereas I haven't done a plank for months before today. Another 10 min and then...

Press ups: 28 Delighted with this because they were proper full stretch ones. Thought I might get to 30 but it was not to be. Did these on the wii as well and it's harder because it makes you pause before you do the next one and if you don't wait for the whistle it doesn't count them.

Plan for next week is to start building back up the cycling. Back to the physio Tues afternoon and hopefully Monday week I'll be all healed up and ready to run :D

Feic me! I can do about 4* chin ups in a row without a break, and a max of 3 pull ups. You're a superwoman - definitely!

*(...though this time last year I couldn't do 1 chin up, so at least I'm going in the right direction, all-be-it SLOWLY :p)

Best of luck with the recovery. Looks like you're not letting it stop you anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

23 chin ups :eek:

• Advertisement

23 chin ups :eek:

Its depressing, I don't even know what a chin up is:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Its depressing, I don't even know what a chin up is:confused:

Keep the chin up, it's not that depressing :)

TbL

My total depends do which chin I count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

hi C_M, just catching up on your troubles with hip bursitis, i had that myself last year. got 2 injections of cortisone and back running within a week.
    did ease back on grass/treadmill.

jfh wrote: »
    hi C_M, just catching up on your troubles with hip bursitis, i had that myself last year. got 2 injections of cortisone and back running within a week.
    did ease back on grass/treadmill.
    It was mentioned to me alright that I may need to get the cortisone injection. I would only do that as a very last resort though. Knowing my luck I'd probably get septicaemia or else be in the <1% group whose tendon ruptures :D

Have you had any bother with it since?

Fri - Sun:

Rest. After the 3hr cycle on Thurs ecoli suggested I may want to delay the comeback and rest up for a few days. Complete rest was advised and I did my best to comply ;)

Monday:

5m walk/run

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You feel any improvement in the hip c_m with the "rest"?

tang1 wrote: »
    You feel any improvement in the hip c_m with the "rest"?
    Yes :o No pain at all when I ran today or afterwards. If I can get through the rest of this week the same while building back up the distance I think it will be fine. Touch wood. Fingers crossed. Etc. Etc :D

Yes :o No pain at all when I ran today or afterwards. If I can get through the rest of this week the same while building back up the distance I think it will be fine. Touch wood. Fingers crossed. Etc. Etc :D

Good stuff, hopefully thats it sorted for you.

Great stuff, now for the love of the lord go easy and don't loose the run of yourself! No pun intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

It was mentioned to me alright that I may need to get the cortisone injection. I would only do that as a very last resort though. Knowing my luck I'd probably get septicaemia or else be in the <1% group whose tendon ruptures :D

Have you had any bother with it since?

you never believe this, a few days ago doling out the advise to you & now i find myself getting shockwave treatment for the same :mad:

even though i'm not convinced that it is hip bursitis, i told the physio that i had it before & now he's latched onto that.. i had a lot of discomfort on my last run, finding it hard to stretch the leg out.
    i do have to loosen up all the hip area & strengthen it, the orthotics were working but i felt i didn't need them anymore.:confused:

how's recovery ?

• Advertisement

jfh wrote: »
    you never believe this, a few days ago doling out the advise to you & now i find myself getting shockwave treatment for the same :mad:

even though i'm not convinced that it is hip bursitis, i told the physio that i had it before & now he's latched onto that.. i had a lot of discomfort on my last run, finding it hard to stretch the leg out.
    i do have to loosen up all the hip area & strengthen it, the orthotics were working but i felt i didn't need them anymore.:confused:

how's recovery ?
    Sorry to hear that and you were flying it as well :( Hope you get sorted asap

Recovery is slow. I might be back to were I was by xmas. Hopefully :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just catching up - hope your on the mend. you see what cycling does to you - ever since you bought that suped up BMX.......

Just catching up - hope your on the mend. you see what cycling does to you - ever since you bought that suped up BMX.......
    Ha :D You and ecoli should form a bike bashing club. Ye could have good old crack running round the phoenix park slashing bike tires and knocking little kids off their bikes :P

EDIT: Looks like ecoli has been getting some practice in: http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/pictured-teenage-boy-injured-after-3753418

Tuesday:

Rest. Leg was a bit achey Monday afternoon and evening although it felt pretty good Tuesday.

Wednesday:

3min plank
    Stretches
    4m walk/run
    1m rec @ 12:10
    Strength routine that I stole from Ray's log. Thanks Ray :D

On Monday I was all the time waiting for the pain to surface when I was running so although it was great to be out I didn't ever relax. Today was better and I was much more confident running. During the 6 min rep my leg started to get a bit tight and it was uncomfortable when I was walking so I decided to leave it at 4 miles. I was going to walk home but I had loosened up after a few minutes walking so I said I'd chance a slow slow jog. Happy I did because it felt very comfortable and hopefully it will help the healing process. Had a look at the strength thingy on Ray's log and it looked good so I said I'd give it a lash. Sure when I'm not running much I may as well do something useful and I'm only on week 1 but it's pretty easy. Just checked the split paces there when I got home and they were a lot faster than Monday (9:12 v 8:03 average) My breathing was the same so I think the fitness will come back pretty quickly but I just need my leg to get better so I can run for more than 6 minutes :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi there CM (if you end up reading this)

Sorry to see you go. Hope you are planning on coming back under a new name. You will be missed here.

Hi there CM (if you end up reading this)

Sorry to see you go. Hope you are planning on coming back under a new name. You will be missed here.

Ha?? Go, whats the story?? Drop a PM if you dont want to post here pls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ha?? Go, whats the story?? Drop a PM if you dont want to post here pls.

I don't think she will be pming from that account anyway. Once closed all access to account pms goes afaik.

I don't think she will be pming from that account anyway. Once closed all access to account pms goes afaik.

Cheers man, never copped her account was closed. Sad to see you go Kate, hope all is good, will really miss your log and stories, your a MASSIVE loss to the A/R Boards community.

Sad to see you go Kate, hope all is good, will really miss your log and stories, your a MASSIVE loss to the A/R Boards community.

And so say all of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I would echo what the others have said. Thanks for all your help Kate, and I'd wager a lot of people have benefited from your advice on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

WTF???? Why?! Aaww I'm so sorry if this is true, a truly entertaining log . Best of luck with everything CM if you are gone x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Cheers man, never copped her account was closed. Sad to see you go Kate, hope all is good, will really miss your log and stories, your a MASSIVE loss to the A/R Boards community.

+1 Sad day. Sorry to hear this. Take care K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

RedRunner wrote: »
    +1 Sad day. Sorry to hear this. Take care K

+1. Always enjoyed this log. Best of luck the injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

If she's gone for good then that's a complete travesty. However, I'd say she's just dealing with the injury and will be back soon under a new username and winning marathons again. I sure hope so.
    c_m - looking forward to your return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

+ 1 all of the above. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

So sorry to see you go from here kate....hopefully its only for a while.

You have left a truly epic volume of work and achievements in your wake.

Slan go foill,

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I'm back

Thanks for all the kind messages and emails and texts. I feel like a complete diva! I just was so down about my stupid injury and life in general. The final straw last week was when I couldn't walk for more than 15 minutes without pain and had a good bit of pain the following day. Time is not on my side .... Beast is four weeks this Saturday. I told Mike he may need to look for another hoochie. His reply was loads of time, you're tough, it'll be grand. As Claire told me I was unlikely to get any sympathy from a man who ran most of a mountain marathon with half his foot missing but I think the truth is Mike has lost his touch with the hoochies and he was just afraid of further rejection!!

So I'm still doing lots of stretching and exercises. Found a few good videos on youtube with exercises for chronic hip bursitis and I find them really useful. I did some research into protein rich plasma injection and I'm hoping to get an appointment to see a consultant sports physician in Santry this week.

Thanks again to everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I'm back

Thanks for all the kind messages and emails and texts. I feel like a complete diva! I just was so down about my stupid injury and life in general. The final straw last week was when I couldn't walk for more than 15 minutes without pain and had a good bit of pain the following day. Time is not on my side .... Beast is four weeks this Saturday. I told Mike he may need to look for another hoochie. His reply was loads of time, you're tough, it'll be grand. As Claire told me I was unlikely to get any sympathy from a man who ran most of a mountain marathon with half his foot missing but I think the truth is Mike has lost his touch with the hoochies and he was just afraid of further rejection!!

So I'm still doing lots of stretching and exercises. Found a few good videos on youtube with exercises for chronic hip bursitis and I find them really useful. I did some research into protein rich plasma injection and I'm hoping to get an appointment to see a consultant sports physician in Santry this week.

Thanks again to everyone

pfft - amateur - at least when Running King/ AMK closes his accounts and starts again he comes up with a new name :D:D

Seriously though - delighted that you are back - would be a duller place here without you. Hope the injury clears up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

I'm back

Thanks again to everyone

Great to see ya back and to hear the stretches are helping a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Tom Joad wrote: »
    pfft - amateur - at least when Running King/ AMK closes his accounts and starts again he comes up with a new name :D:D

Seriously though - delighted that you are back - would be a duller place here without you. Hope the injury clears up soon.

Ha thanks. I had another couple of names in mind but I like career move

Advertisement