Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Let's do dinner :D

Let's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Tuesday:

Swim: 1000m

Felt like a beached whale for the first few lengths but then I got into a nice kind of a groove doing front crawl up the pool and backstroke on the return. There was a guy in my lane which was a bit annoying because the pool is quiet why are you in my lane? Anyway he left after a while and I started trying to improve my kicking on the backstroke by minimising the use of my arms and just kicking to propel myself.

Wednesday:

3m @ 9:08 w strides

I'm going to try and run 4 days this week. No further than 3 miles and then build it up very very gradually. Garmin connect is a bit peculiar at the moment. When I sign in it doesn't take me to my home page and on Monday when I went to look at my activities they were all in Hungarian and what's worse it was all metric :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Tuesday:

Swim: 1000m

Felt like a beached whale for the first few lengths but then I got into a nice kind of a groove doing front crawl up the pool and backstroke on the return. There was a guy in my lane which was a bit annoying because the pool is quiet why are you in my lane? Anyway he left after a while and I started trying to improve my kicking on the backstroke by minimising the use of my arms and just kicking to propel myself.

Wednesday:

3m @ 9:08 w strides

I'm going to try and run 4 days this week. No further than 3 miles and then build it up very very gradually. Garmin connect is a bit peculiar at the moment. When I sign in it doesn't take me to my home page and on Monday when I went to look at my activities they were all in Hungarian and what's worse it was all metric :eek:

Mayhe he liked you. ;)

I think I put that in a post in the rant thread - the website clearly wasn't production ready but they released it anyway. I can the merits of some of the changes no question but it's too buggy at the moment.

Thursday:

Nothing. Meant to do core and the exercises the physio gave me but my leg was a bit niggly so I slept all day instead. Must do better next week :o

Friday:

Had to collect my bike from the shop so I was going to go swimming but I couldn't be bothered and then I was going to cycle but it didn't happen either. Head is not really in the zone at the moment and my leg is not 100%

Saturday:

Nothing. Was up at four thirty to work horses so that was my excuse to spend another afternoon in bed. I wonder is too much sleep bad for you???

Sunday:

Yay a very productive day. Cleaned out the tack room and then took my Dad with me to Castlecomer to go orienteering. They have 3 permanent orienteering loops there. I want to get much better at map reading and Dad has embraced a healthier lifestyle since Mum died. He's cleaned up his diet and he's trying to do more exercise so he's back cycling in and out of work when he can. His motto ..... 'my body is a temple'..... except for last week when he went visiting friends and his body became a distillery! We did the short loop first which is about a mile long and it's pretty easy to find the controls and then we took on the long loop. 17 controls to find so Dad started looking for no. 17 and I started with no 1 because I wanted to practise map reading as much as possible. 2 and 3 were hard to find and it took me half an hour to find them. 4 was ok but 5 was hard and while stumbling through the forest I bumped into Dad who had skipped a couple and was now looking for no 6. We decided then to combine our negligible skills. A few more were difficult to find but we got through them all and ended up covering a total of 6 miles in about three and a half hours. Lots more orienteering practise needed :D

Monday:

Bike: 48.4k in 2hr 20

The wind was annoying in places but other than that it was nice weather for cycling. I only thought at the last minute that I better bring water and I'm so glad I did. Gonna do some core/stretches later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Garmin connect is a bit peculiar at the moment. When I sign in it doesn't take me to my home page and on Monday when I went to look at my activities they were all in Hungarian and what's worse it was all metric :eek:

Agreed. Give me Hungarian over metric any day/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Does that mean I can be on your Godzone team?? :D
    A few steps before that. 3 day Beast next year, 5 day Itera Ireland 2016...

Team #triharder ;)

Tuesday:

Nothing. Meant to do some core but I didn't have the willpower and I was tired. I started a low calorie diet on Saturday to lose weight so I can ride in a race at the weekend. Starting weight 139lbs. I need to weigh out with my saddle at 136lbs and ideally I would like to use my blue saddle so target weight is 132lbs.

Wednesday:

4m steady @ 8:35

Happy out with this because it was as comfortable as I've felt for a long time. Had my fourth pair of gel ds trainers on because I donated my third pair to Claire when she left. I didn't like them and they felt a bit small and she'll give them a good home. I like the new pair though :)

Thursday:

Bike: 20.5k in 60min
    Pool: 550m in 40min
    Bike: 19k in 50min

Cycled to the pool but I'd gone about half a mile and I realised I'd forgotten my bike lock so had to do a u turn. Meant to get my garmin as well but I forgot. The pool was mental with kids :mad: There's two lanes roped off but kids have no lane etiquette :mad: Had to do mostly front crawl and just did 50m repeats. I think my swimming has improved. My breathing is better. I was inhaling air today instead of water and my kick is stronger. I managed to lose my iphone while at the pool. I know I checked it before I locked my bike but I don't know what I did with it then because it was gone when I went to look at it when I was getting changed. Thankfully some angel handed it in to reception. Was feeling a bit low on energy so I bought a flapjack to fuel me up for the bike home. Weight this morning was 133lbs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Next goal race is the Killarney AR in October. I'm going to go for the 60k route because I think I'll be able to manage the run distance in that. Adventure racing is where it's at for me now.

We could be sharing a kayak again!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

What did you not eat to drop 6lbs in 2 days? A small child perhaps?

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    We could be sharing a kayak again!! :)

You have competition this time!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    What did you not eat to drop 6lbs in 2 days? A small child perhaps?

Nah was since Saturday. Jeez I eat a lot but not that much!!!

Nah was since Saturday. Jeez I eat a lot but not that much!!!

Ah I see, still good going, good luck in the race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Deadly :D

Let's do dinner :D
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Let's.

Jeez, get a room...

or a kayak

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jeez, get a room...

or a kayak

Next 6 weeks pumping iron in case AKW shows up...

Friday:

A.M: 3m @ 8:58

P.M: 20 min on crosstrainer + 2m @ 12:00

Morning run was nice and easy. I was a pound heavier though so I needed to run in the afternoon. The crosstrainer was good. I'll try and keep that up because I think it would be good for my glutes. Kept the second run dead slow because I wanted to run again in the morning

Saturday:

3m @ 10:30

No issues from my hip thankfully but I kept it at recovery pace just to be sure. Weight - 133lbs. I had to borrow a lighter saddle but it was grand. Horse ran well but we needed rain to soften the ground and it never came.

Sunday:

Rest

Monday:

Ran 4 miles but not sure of the pace because garmin was out of charge. My breathing was nice and relaxed though so I'd say it was around 9 min/mi. Had to stop at the field on the way home because one of the foals was in the wrong paddock and I needed to let the others in to him. I'm going to do a 4m race on Saturday in Carlow just for the buzz :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Did the physio say anything back in May about cycling when you hurt your glute? I was told mountain biking and hilly road biking would help strengthen my lower back which would help my glutes etc.

Did the physio say anything back in May about cycling when you hurt your glute? I was told mountain biking and hilly road biking would help strengthen my lower back which would help my glutes etc.

There was differing opinions as to whether the mountain biking was helping or delaying recovery. In the end I just did whatever I felt like doing and I think the biking was a help. Biking on the road is boring though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

There was differing opinions as to whether the mountain biking was helping or delaying recovery. In the end I just did whatever I felt like doing and I think the biking was a help. Biking on the road is boring though :D

And far more dangerous imo.
    No motorists off road ;)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    And far more dangerous imo.
    No motorists off road ;)

Some might say that depends on how good your steering is haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I'm going to do a 4m race on Saturday in Carlow just for the buzz :)

Tinryland?

Did their 4 mile handicap race on St Stephens day. Was a tad frosty so the downhill start didn't really help (or stop me running into the ditch).

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Tinryland?

Did their 4 mile handicap race on St Stephens day. Was a tad frosty so the downhill start didn't really help (or stop me running into the ditch).

That's the one. Are you heading there yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

That's the one. Are you heading there yourself?

Not this time. It's near enough to the outlaws so it offered me an escape for a few hours at the time and cleared the cobwebs from the previous day. :)

Tuesday:

Nothing. I was having a bad day and couldn't summon enough motivation to do any exercise. Strange because I knew it would make me feel better but I didn't want to run (I'm trying to keep the running to every second day till my leg is completely better) and I couldn't be bothered doing anything else. I still haven't got back to doing the hip exercises I'm supposed to be doing. Must try harder :rolleyes: Anyway I decided today I'm going to jump back into marathon training in the new year and do the Limerick marathon. I like marathon training. I like having the structure of a plan and I like the positive feedback you get as you go through the plan. It'll be nice to have a firm goal to get me through the winter and it'll be good for both my fitness and my weight management :D

Wednesday:

4m @ 8:57 + 6 x 120m strides

Nearly bailed on this as well but I was very happy once I was out. It was pretty windy but warm when I was running and thankfully I didn't get caught in any showers. A black cat appeared outside the kitchen window a while ago. Not too sure if that's lucky or unlucky! It's pretty hungry I think and sometimes I leave stuff outside for the hens. A few weeks ago it came by and ran off with a stale bread roll. It scarpers off when you open the door but I left a little block of cream cheese on the ground and it came back after a few minutes when it was sure there was no one around and had a nice little dinner for itself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I know a coach that knows a thing or two about marathon training if you'd like an introduction :)

Limerick is a good choice, I've run well there a few times. A couple of lonely sections but apart from that it's all good.

TbL

I know a coach that knows a thing or two about marathon training if you'd like an introduction :)

Limerick is a good choice, I've run well there a few times. A couple of lonely sections but apart from that it's all good.

TbL

Thanks that's very kind of you :)

I ran 3:28 in Limerick last year. It was fun!

Great news re marathon training, I'm looking forward to reading about it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck with the marathon training, it's hard to believe it's almost two years since we were training for DCM. Do you have a target you'd like to hit at this stage or will you wait and see how training pans out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great call, I think you would really nail a marathon in the Spring if the prep goes smoothly.

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Best of luck with the marathon training, it's hard to believe it's almost two years since we were training for DCM. Do you have a target you'd like to hit at this stage or will you wait and see how training pans out?

I know it feels like a lifetime ago! When are you making your comeback? Hope the baba isn't giving you too many sleepless nights!

At the moment the thought of running 26.2 miles at any pace is pretty daunting ..... I can't even cover that distance in a week! Actually make that a month! So ya just see how it goes I guess :)

Great call, I think you would really nail a marathon in the Spring if the prep goes smoothly.

Thanks OP. Plenty of work to do first (see above :) )

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Great news re marathon training, I'm looking forward to reading about it. :D

You can join me if you like ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I know it feels like a lifetime ago! When are you making your comeback? Hope the baba isn't giving you too many sleepless nights!

At the moment the thought of running 26.2 miles at any pace is pretty daunting ..... I can't even cover that distance in a week! Actually make that a month! So ya just see how it goes I guess :)
    LOL, meet your sister! Looking out at the rain today I was just remarking how I used to have no problem going out running in that weather, hopefully I can get some of that dedication back! Slowly trying to get back into it (slow being the operative word) I'm cautiously hopeful of DCM next year if I can string some kind of training plan together. Baby is extremely good and no sleepless nights so I have no excuse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cool party for the GLR so, an aim of mine also and I have a score to settle with it ðŸ˜
    Welcome to stay at my gaff and do long runs on the course with me and throw some fun biking in too if we get a chance!

By the way, I nominated you for the IBC yesterday so get thee to a chilly water source and donate! AKW did his, Warren is either hiding or hibernating...

Cool party for the GLR so, an aim of mine also and I have a score to settle with it ðŸ˜
    Welcome to stay at my gaff and do long runs on the course with me and throw some fun biking in too if we get a chance!

By the way, I nominated you for the IBC yesterday so get thee to a chilly water source and donate! AKW did his, Warren is either hiding or hibernating...

Deadly thanks :D

Ah so that's what that email was about ...... I thought you'd completely lost the plot and were trying to recreate the canyoning stage in the Clare Glens in your back garden ...... and then call that your training for the week :D

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    LOL, meet your sister! Looking out at the rain today I was just remarking how I used to have no problem going out running in that weather, hopefully I can get some of that dedication back! Slowly trying to get back into it (slow being the operative word) I'm cautiously hopeful of DCM next year if I can string some kind of training plan together. Baby is extremely good and no sleepless nights so I have no excuse!

Ya way easier to get runs done if you have a plan. You should resurrect your log too!

Good news about baby. Although you do know that quiet infants become unbearable teenagers! Scientific fact ;)

Wed p.m

Exercises. Check emo49.gif

Thurs:

Crosstrainer. 70 min. 2 sessions a.m + p.m

Friday:

Rest. Was going to run but I'm learning to control the ocd impulses so that I give my leg as much time as possible to heal. I have my plan worked out so that I can do all the races I want and the crosstraining and still build up my mileage so that I'm ready for the marathon training. :D:D

Exercises. Check emo49.gif

*Black cat got crocodile pate for dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Black cat got crocodile pate for dinner

Catch it himself ? Good to see you coming back - patience is key.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Catch it himself ? Good to see you coming back - patience is key.

Ha! I suspect the only thing black cat could catch is a cold. My sister brought it home from oz at some stage. Contained 35% crocodile meat and port wine so hopefully black cat doesn't have a hangover this morning :D

Good news about baby. Although you do know that quiet infants become unbearable teenagers! Scientific fact ;)

Oh God that resonates with me...:eek:

• Advertisement

Ha! I suspect the only thing black cat could catch is a cold. My sister brought it home from oz at some stage. Contained 35% crocodile meat and port wine so hopefully black cat doesn't have a hangover this morning :D

I was reading this and I took it that your sister brought the cat home from Australia! I was saying to myself them gang are mental when I realised it was the crocodile pâté she brought back which of course is a perfectly sensible thing to do!

Who's on the feckin magic shrooms now, Black Cats & Crocodile pate, FFS :)

TbL

Who's on the feckin magic shrooms now, Black Cats & Crocodile pate, FFS :)

TbL

Hallucinate in style....
    Plastic is no match for crocodile
    And black cats beat cow pats
    :p

Gun - 28:12
    Chip - 28:07
    Pos - 11th F
    Garmin

Happy out with this. I averaged 7:08 pace for the Donadea 5k 4 weeks ago and tonight over a tougher course I'm down to 7 min pace :D

I got there in loads of time because it only takes me 55 minutes to get to Carlow. Who would have guessed! (Note to self must do more Carlow races). I did a mile warm up with a few strides and I was delighted with how good I felt. It was very warm though and I was gasping for a drink after the warm up so I grabbed one of the bottles of water from the finish line.

The race started very punctually. I was lined a good few rows back and maybe should have been a couple of rows further up but I knew the first mile was mostly down hill and I didn't want to get suckered into setting off too fast. There were a few people in front of me who should not have been there but thankfully I didn't get impeded too much. I just had time and distance displayed on my watch because I wanted to run by effort so I was just keeping my breathing nice and steady so I didn't build up a big oxygen debt and die over the last two miles. It was windy. I'm not sure if the wind was a help or a hindrance but it was difficult to get in with a group because there was no one running my pace. There was a group of five about 30m ahead and then a gaa girl and then me. Pretty pleased when I saw the watch beep for the first mile at 6:49.

The course was pretty level for the second mile except for one short steepish incline over the motorway. I felt like I was keeping a good solid pace all the time and gaa girl was coming back to me ever so slightly. Pace dropped a bit due to the course levelling off though. Second mile 7:08

Shortly after we passed the two mile marker a tall skinny guy in a S.L.O.T singlet drew up alongside me and was about to overtake me so I increased the effort slightly to keep with him. He was going at a perfect pace for me really because I had to work a bit to keep up but it wasn't a big effort and my breathing was more laboured but still nicely under control. We passed gaa girl and then over the next half mile the group of five which had slightly fragmented. There was a longish steepish drag near the end of mile 3 and SLOT guy was still fairly comfortable. I remembered one day doing tempo miles uphill in Ardpatrick at the end of a 10 mile run with Shotgun where I was under pressure and he had got me to drop in right behind him and it had been a lot easier so I made an executive decision to do the same with SLOT guy. It worked a dream and I was able to get a few breathers in as well. Third mile 7:12

What goes up must come down but SLOT guy was putting the boot down now so I had to keep working hard to stay with him. The last mile flew by. The last half mile was mostly uphill and SLOT guy had gained about 10m on me at this stage. I could feel the makings of a stitch coming on so I decided to just maintain what I had and not try and push too hard. Lots of people out supporting in the last half mile which was greatly appreciated. With about 400m to go I heard two guys gaining on me and one of them went past me. Turning the corner with about 200m to go I found another gear and I went by him again and I could see SLOT guy coming back to me. I tried as hard as I could to catch him but he put a sprint on and finished about 3 seconds in front of me. Fourth mile 6:53

Delighted with the effort I put in and I met SLOT guy after to thank him for pulling me with him. Also met Barryoneill50 and had a great chat with him and his family over tea and sandwiches and cake :D Didn't bother doing much of a warm down after the race. Legs felt great. The comeback continues.

Great stuff, delighted for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Very well done Kate, great racing.

tang1 wrote: »
    Very well done Kate, great racing.

Thanks. I'm loving the racing at the moment. I just run as best I can and don't worry about the pace so I've no pressure on myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thanks. I'm loving the racing at the moment. I just run as best I can and don't worry about the pace so I've no pressure on myself :D

Racing is the thing i missed the most while injured, cant beat the rush of racing. Keep it up.

Sunday - orienteering

Drove up to Ardgillen with Dad for our first competition. It's a lovely park and the weather was fab. We had the option to do a short/medium or long course. Of course we went for the long course - two of us working together and we had a compass today. What could possibly go wrong??

In hindsight a lot because there were 20 controls to find and only two hours to do it in. There was a good few people competing and you get the maps just before the start. Since you don't collect the controls in order everybody sets off in different directions depending on what you think is going to be the fastest way to find them. I would have liked to spend a few more minutes sussing out the map but it's hard not to just get stuck in when everyone takes off. The first few controls we got were easy enough to find but quite spread out and I was a bit tired after yesterday so it was all done at a brisk walking pace which meant we were a bit behind time. Also I quite like just to take my time and find all the landmarks on the map. My map reading is tons better now and apart from the shortcut Dad insisted we take across a deep drain (which smelt like a sewer) it was all fun. After two hours we still had 6 controls left to find and the map reading was becoming exhausting so we decided to call it a day and hit the road. I reckon we covered about 6 miles again today and my legs are nicely tired now.

This is a running forum, Dora the Explorer :)

TbL

• Advertisement
Advertisement