Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

This is a running forum, Dora the Explorer :)

TbL

This is my log Popeye .....

my log my rules :D

Monday:

3m rec @ 10:30

Some housekeeping - It's been ages since I've done a table!

Month|Miles
    Jan|174
    Feb|182
    Mar|214
    Apr|202
    May|120
    Jun|21
    Jul|27
    Aug|45
    Total|985

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Great run in Tinryland. I love that race, always a great atmosphere and loads of food afterwards.

Tuesday:

35 min crosstrainer

I had great intentions to do a bike/swim/bike today but I was up at half four to work horses and when I got home from work at lunchtime motivation was at an all time low. Never mind. The week is young :D

Wednesday:

4m @ 8:56 + strides

It was dark when I was doing this. I had my head torch on and as I was running down the road the yield - right of way sign appeared to be moving towards me. How strange I thought and then realised it was actually a person with a high vis vest on. Holy crap. Why is there a person on my road at 5a.m? And where has he come from? And why is he carrying a guitar case? That could contain a gun or stuff for breaking into a house and then he could put all the stolen stuff into the guitar case and no one would ever know. Shoot my iPhone is on the kitchen table - hope he doesn't steal that. Oh well best get my run done!

I met a hedgehog as well. It's ages since I've seen a hedgehog. Well a live one anyway. They're kind of cute with their pointy little noses. And then when I was finished my strides I was just thinking to myself I haven't seen black cat for days and who should appear round the corner but black cat so I gave him some pork fat for his breakfast :D

My iPhone was still on the table where I left it so I guess it was just a guitar in the guitar case :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Are you on the shrooms again? ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Note to cm: burglars don't wear hiviz....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I wonder if there's a Guitar forum somewhere, with a guy saying that he seen a strange sight of a lady with a head torch running towards him at 5am while he walked on by, carrying his guitar case.............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Wednesday:

4m @ 8:56 + strides

It was dark when I was doing this. I had my head torch on and as I was running down the road the yield - right of way sign appeared to be moving towards me. How strange I thought and then realised it was actually a person with a high vis vest on. Holy crap. Why is there a person on my road at 5a.m? And where has he come from? And why is he carrying a guitar case? That could contain a gun or stuff for breaking into a house and then he could put all the stolen stuff into the guitar case and no one would ever know. Shoot my iPhone is on the kitchen table - hope he doesn't steal that. Oh well best get my run done!

I met a hedgehog as well. It's ages since I've seen a hedgehog. Well a live one anyway. They're kind of cute with their pointy little noses. And then when I was finished my strides I was just thinking to myself I haven't seen black cat for days and who should appear round the corner but black cat so I gave him some pork fat for his breakfast :D

My iPhone was still on the table where I left it so I guess it was just a guitar in the guitar case :rolleyes:
    This the reason you are not supposed to get up in the middle of the night and go outside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Dora,

You been eating the cats crocodile pate :)

TbL

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Are you on the shrooms again? ;)
    :D
    Oryx wrote: »
    Note to cm: burglars don't wear hiviz....
    That thought did cross my mind BUT then I thought what if he's a sneaky burglar and it's a double bluff??
    I wonder if there's a Guitar forum somewhere, with a guy saying that he seen a strange sight of a lady with a head torch running towards him at 5am while he walked on by, carrying his guitar case.............
    You were going to say crazy lady weren't you but you thought better of it. Good decision :D
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    This the reason you are not supposed to get up in the middle of the night and go outside!
    It's only the middle of the night if you're Blockic!
    Dora,

You been eating the cats crocodile pate :)

TbL

:D Shhh

Wednesday p.m

Swim: I like my swim sessions once I've got over the initial dragging myself to the pool after work bit. My legs always feel great after it. I took it handy enough and just did 600m and practised my breathing and my kicking.

Bike: Home,had a sandwich then headed out on the bike. Was going to do 40k but my glutes were a bit sore from the crosstrainer yesterday so I decided to play safe and did 20.5k in an hour

Thursday:

Bike: 51k in 2hr23

Beautiful out this morning. I enjoyed this. Just spinning along in a nice easy gear. When I finished I jumped off the bike and ran a lap of the house. My legs felt like they didn't even belong to me. It was pretty cool. Think I'll do it more often. Love it when I get in from a long session and I'm ravenous and there's leftovers in the fridge that I can pop in the microwave. Chicken stir fry and a smokey cheese toasted sandwich. Nom nom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Thanks. I found that a couple of weeks ago. How are you? How's marathon training?

• Advertisement

Friday:

5m @ 8:44

Had planned to do 4m + strides but I was feeling good so I said I'd do 5m + strides but then I thought I better make sure I can cope with 5 miles on it's own before I add in strides so that's what I did and it was a tiny bit faster than planned. I love it when I'm running and I look at my watch and I'm going too fast and I make a conscious effort to slow down but I'm still going too fast. It's a nice feeling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What did you think of Ardgillan?

That's where our club do their winter/cross country training and there is also a Parkrun there every week. I didn't know it was used for Orienteering as well.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What did you think of Ardgillan?

That's where our club do their winter/cross country training and there is also a Parkrun there every week. I didn't know it was used for Orienteering as well.

Ardgillan is fab. It was a lovely day too so that always helps but it's a really well kept park (and I saw a lot of it :)) Its a bit of a trek for me though

Friday p.m

Chin ups 2 x 10 reps. Last 2 of the second set were tough. I've got weak! Left hip was a bit uncomfortable in the evening. I presume it's from the running so I've had to jig around my training plan and give myself an extra run free day over the weekend. It means I'll only have done 3 run days and 12 miles this week but I'm prepared to be patient as long as I can keep a certain amount of consistency going. I was toying with the idea of doing a 4m trail race next week and a 5k or 10k at the end of September but I've scrapped that now and entered the Moxie 40k adventure race two weeks today. Looks deadly :D Chest muscles are a bit sore this morning and I'm currently procrastinating about getting stuck in to today's bike ride and considering the virtues of having another cup of tea :o

Saturday:

Bike to pool: 19.2k in 56min

Swim: my first swim set :D
    2 x 50m w/u front crawl
    4 x 25m fc
    4 x 50m fc
    4 x 25m fc
    4 x 100m backstroke
    2 x 50m c/d

Actually quite enjoyed this session. It feels like progress and I like progress :D This was all about trying to get a better breathing technique so my main goals were to try and breathe bilaterally, exhale fully in the water, keep my head down and don't lift my head too high when I turn to inhale, keep my toes pointed and my ankles flexed and flex my elbow. Some of it worked some of it needs more practice. I thought I'd find it harder to get the bilateral breathing going but I got into the rhythm quite easily so very happy with that and it seemed to have a positive effect on my form. Many thanks to Mr. Smooth Kurt Godel for his help and advice :D

Bike home: 26.3k in 1hr 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I've a feeling you are going to rock these shorter ARs!

I've a feeling you are going to rock these shorter ARs!

Not sure how competitive I'll be especially on a MTB but we'll give it a lash anyway :D

Sunday:

Rest. I made cookies and I ate cookies :D Had the odd niggle from my hip so I did the exercises I'm supposed to be doing everyday :rolleyes: Wasn't convinced they were helping before. It takes a bit of willpower to get them done and I just didn't think they justified it. However I noticed a definite improvement after doing them yesterday so new rule for this coming week is NO EXERCISES NO RUNNING.

Monday:

5m @ 8:48 + strides + exercises

Felt great this morning :D

Mon p.m:

Bike: 15k in 44min

Had to go to the shop and it's nearly quicker to go on the bike. One of the horses pulled off a shoe this afternoon when we were jumping the hurdles so I did about another mile later cycling round the field trying to find it cause all the nails are still in it. No joy

Tues a.m:

4m @ 7:54 + exercises

It was a perfect morning for a run and once I got into a rhythm it ended up being a bit faster than I had planned. Was aiming for steady pace (8:10 - 8:15). Legs are happy though so it's all good :D

Tues p.m

Yoga ~ 25 min. Was going to go for a swim after work but my legs were really tired from my 2 day running streak :rolleyes: and the exercises

Wednesday:

Exercises in the morning. They take a good half hour so I may need to start getting up earlier

Swim this afternoon:
    1 x 100m warm up: front crawl had to stop a couple of times but bilateral breathing is easier
    2 x 50m fc breathing every 2 strokes. I get on fine until I start trying to do too many things other than breathe like kick from the hip and I just end up swallowing water but when I concentrate just on breathing its good
    1 x 400m backstroke. Love. Love. Love.
    2 x 50m fc better after the break
    1 x 100m cool down fc actually was more 4 x 25m but it did what it said on the tin :D

Yoga after ~ 25 min

400m backstroke :eek:

400m backstroke :eek:

What? That's not far. It does make my front crawl seem more pathetic though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What? That's not far. It does make my front crawl seem more pathetic though :D

What it does show in big screaming letters is that you're a strong swimmer, and can swim much further, once you can catch a breath. I'd tend to keep the FC stuff slow for the moment, and keep to a single purpose (ie focus on getting the breathing right). For the moment you can do kick drills with a board, and that should suffice. Plenty of time to do both, but for now keep practising your breathing.

I'm with Mike though, 400m BS is pretty impressive!

Thursday:

Bike: 65k in 3hr 11
    Run: 1m in 8:25

Was up early to work horses but I got a lovely snooze after for about 3 hours so I was well refreshed heading out. Filled my camelbak with 2L of water and away I went. Hadn't planned to do quite as much but I took a wrong turn which made for a longer but more pleasant cycle because it kept me off the main road. Dropped the bike when I'd finished and did one mile running at 8:25 pace. Can't believe it was that fast because I can't ever remember feeling my legs so heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Thursday:

Bike: 65k in 3hr 11
    Run: 1m in 8:25

Was up early to work horses but I got a lovely snooze after for about 3 hours so I was well refreshed heading out. Filled my camelbak with 2L of water and away I went. Hadn't planned to do quite as much but I took a wrong turn which made for a longer but more pleasant cycle because it kept me off the main road. Dropped the bike when I'd finished and did one mile running at 8:25 pace. Can't believe it was that fast because I can't ever remember feeling my legs so heavy!
    Over 3 hours on the bike! You are depressing me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    What it does show in big screaming letters is that you're a strong swimmer, and can swim much further, once you can catch a breath. I'd tend to keep the FC stuff slow for the moment, and keep to a single purpose (ie focus on getting the breathing right). For the moment you can do kick drills with a board, and that should suffice. Plenty of time to do both, but for now keep practising your breathing.

I'm with Mike though, 400m BS is pretty impressive!

Right in front of our eyes she's been taken by the hand and led to the dark side.... CM, stay away from the bad men... Run towards the light child, yes, run, not swim and/or bike... RUN! :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't mind him K - you're obviously not another one-trick pony. Go where the fun is and multi-sport is the way.

It would be a bit of a relief, though, if you wouldn't insist on being so damn good at everything you turn your hand to.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Right in front of our eyes she's been taken by the hand and led to the dark side.... CM, stay away from the bad men... Run towards the light child, yes, run, not swim and/or bike... RUN! :eek::D
    :D

I think you're too late ;)
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Don't mind him K - you're obviously not another one-trick pony. Go where the fun is and multi-sport is the way.

It would be a bit of a relief, though, if you wouldn't insist on being so damn good at everything you turn your hand to.

I'm not really that good at anything. I'm just very fit and very determined (when I feel like it) :)

I'm not really that good at anything. I'm just very fit and very determined (when I feel like it) :)

Depends on your standards...

Friday:

60min core/stretching/exercises

Had planned to do a 5m run today but my left hip was a wee bit sore after the long bike yesterday. It didn't help that we were moving cattle yesterday evening and they were less than cooperative so muggins here spent her time sprinting up and down the road after them. Anyway in keeping with my new motto 'I will not train when I am in pain' I decided to ditch the run today. Did some exercises this morning and going to do some more now. Hip is good enough but I'm not sure if I'll run tomorrow or wait till Sunday. I'll see how it is in the morning.

Good motto. Following it myself. Highly frustrating tho :( ankle sprain taking forever :mad: 65k in 3 hours on the MTB is good going

Saturday:

Bike: 18.75k in 53min

Swim:
    4 x 25m frontcrawl
    4 x 50m fc
    1 x 600m backstroke
    4 x 50m fc

Bike: 18.75k in 57min

Legs were good but I'm going visiting friends tomorrow so I wanted to get my swim done today. Spent 3 hours this morning doing core work aka holding lambs while they were being clipped. Flipping knackered after it but at least with the weather being so good there's no excuse for being indoors. I would have liked to have done the swim earlier though because Saturday afternoons the pool is full of kids. They have 2 lanes roped off but there were people in them and I like being in the far over side of the pool especially when I'm doing backstroke because it's easier to know when I have to turn. Frontcrawl was fine. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. Swallow water. Concentrate. Breathe. Breathe. Stupid googles filling up with water. Breathe. I was going to do 2 x 300m backstroke but people stay out of my way more if I just keep going and it's kind of like the running in that once I'm in a rhythm I don't want to stop. I bashed into a few people but it was hardly my fault. I mean I'm right over at one side swimming continuously so you would assume that people would stay out of my way right?! But some people seem to fine it difficult to understand that there are other people who actually swim in a swimming pool. Anyway I just kept going and they seemed to get the message. Happy enough after and I'll get my run done early tomorrow :)

Sunday:

6m @ 8:30

Plan was for 5m easy and 1m @ MP but due to a combination of perfect running conditions and my right forearm being very sore when I tried to turn it to look at my watch, it turned into a progression run, with the last mile @ 5k pace (9:16, 9:03, 8:53, 8:41, 8:22, 6:47). Legs felt good enough :D

Happy with this week.

|Dist|Time|Sessions
    Swim|1900mt|1hr20| 2
    Bike|120k|6hr| 4
    Run| 16m |2hr 15| 4
    Core||3hr 30|7

So we've just seen Oryx become an Iron lady and by next week hopefully Dory Dory will have done the same. Coincidentally I think they both have the same first name (or derivatives of...) as each other...if only there were another tough, fit, determined young hoochie, ideally with the same name, who could make up the TDAR Iron Hoochie Trio (sounds more like a jazz band than a sports team...)

It's not like it's not on the list....;)

• Advertisement

So we've just seen Oryx become an Iron lady and by next week hopefully Dory Dory will have done the same. Coincidentally I think they both have the same first name (or derivatives of...) as each other...if only there were another tough, fit, determined young hoochie, ideally with the same name, who could make up the TDAR Iron Hoochie Trio (sounds more like a jazz band than a sports team...)

:eek::eek::eek:

Have you been taking my 'shrooms????

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Myself and cm have the same name..... Double D has a different name. But I see where youre going with this.... is the next career move for career move gonna be IM?

Oryx wrote: »
    Myself and cm have the same name..... Double D has a different name. But I see where youre going with this.... is the next career move for career move gonna be IM?

It's not in the pipeline at the moment anyway. I'll leave that to the iron hoochies over on the TDAR forum :D

Monday:

Rest. Was struggling to motivate myself to do anything today except eat. I had no trouble eating. A day to be forgotten.

Tuesday:

I wanted to run today but I'm getting the odd twinge in my left leg. I'm trying to do as much as I can without aggravating the tendon and it's a very fine line between doing enough and doing too much. I could have gone swimming but I wasn't in the mood for it so I decided on a recovery run. Haven't been doing recovery runs for the last few weeks because I'm only running every other day. It was a good decision. I know I need a recovery run when I feel fine but I'm still comfortably running slower than recovery pace. Didn't push it though and did 4m @ 10:41 and then spent 40min doing stretches and exercises.

Wednesday:

Zilch. Too lazy to swim :o

Thursday:

1m easy: 8:45
    1m steady: 8:08
    1m ~ HMP: 7:32
    1m ~ MP: 7:40
    1m easy: 8:30

This was a bit of a silly run. Had planned 5m easy + strides but the 2nd mile was too fast for easy pace so then I said I'll just do 5m steady but then the 3rd mile was more HMP pace and I said whoops better kop on and finish with 2 easy miles but the fourth mile was more MP pace than easy and even the last mile I had to jog the last bit to slow the pace to 8:30. So ya funny kind of a run. In my defence my arm is still a bit sore when I rotate it inwards so I wasn't checking my watch too much but I must be more disciplined in future even though my legs are feeling good today

2ur2zxh.jpg

Flying solo on this AR for the first time so I was a bundle of excitement and anxiety this morning. Blessington is such a fabulous place and this race was exceptionally well organised. The only small issue I had was when Dad and I were driving there we took a wrong turn and ended up following the race route back to Tulfarris hotel. Luckily that was really well signed! No issues registering or racking my bike. I did a small run to warm up, a few strides and some stretches and took my place in the pen for the race briefing and the start. The 40k was divided into 2 waves and I was in the second one.

500m run, 1.5k Kayak, 500m run

Felt good. Was second overall and first woman after the 500m run to the kayaks. The guy in front of me had his own kayak and I was debating in my head should I jump into a single or wait for someone for the double when a foreign sounding guy with really good English ran up and asked me to go in the double with him. Sound. The kayak course was in the shape of an inverted triangle and there was a bit of a current dragging the boat to the right heading towards the first buoy. We fell into a rhythm pretty quickly and managed to keep the boat on a pretty good line and raced in second position. Even though we got a nice turn around the buoy we were still passed shortly after by another double and we stayed in third position to the end. 5th/6th in our wave and 2nd woman. Lost no time racking up the kayak and pulled my life jacket off on the go. My legs were surprisingly heavy though on the run back up to the bikes and I was well out of breath but I was very fast in the bike transition (32sec), picked up my helmet and camelbak and hit the road in 2nd place.
    Kayak: 21:31

2zssept.jpg

Bike 11k:

Was pedalling furiously all the way on this one. Up hill, down hill, around corners but I was passed by a good few people. They didn't hang around either when they passed. In fact nobody was really working together at all. It was very much a case of every man, woman and mountain biker to themselves. The lady who was in front of me in the kayaks passed by. She was slower in transition because she had to change into cycling shoes whereas I just had my trail shoes on all the way. Nice bike course but it was tough work. I only drank water because I wasn't feeling low in energy but I was happy to see the marshals at the next transition which meant onto the run
    Bike: 29:37

Run 8k

Left my camelbak, food and water with my bike. I was hoping I wasn't going to regret that decision but it was cloudy and it was only 8k so I reckoned I should be ok. The first part of the run was up a mountain over quite rough terrain on a very narrow path. There was lots of rocks, heather, marshy bits, drains, boulders and at one stage a narrow pass by the side of a waterfall to be negotiated. I walked most of this as I still hadn't got my breath back from the kayak and it was pretty difficult. Once we started levelling off I started a run/walk strategy which eventually evolved into a slow run all the way. The air up at the top was so clean and crisp. I felt like I was breathing pure oxygen up there and for the first time in the race I was no longer out of breath. We started descending then. It was still quite rough in places and even though I was being careful I still went over on my right ankle which made me limp for a stride or two. I could hear a lad behind me on the descent and I asked him if he wanted to go my but he said he was quite happy pacing off me! We went down a very short sharp downhill and hit the road and had about 250m run to the bridge that we needed to go under. The water was lovely and cool and I would have loved to have dipped my head into it to cool me down. About a 20m run through the stream and then we hit the cruellest part or the course - about 1km of a run along the beach. My pacer was still behind me and we were passing a few people now that were doing the mini moxie (27k). I stayed as near to the shoreline as I could mostly to avoid the really deep sand but I was well happy when we hit the road again. Until I saw the final steep climb to the bikes. Yuck. I started to walk but my pacer friend had caught up with me and encouraged me back into a jog again and finally we reached the bike transition.
    Run: 1:01:37

Bike 19k

I have never been so happy to park my little ass on my bike and stuff my mouth full of glucose tabs. These are brilliant by the way. I got them in the chemist. Just pure glucose and I took them out of their wrapping and put them in a food bag for easy access. Think I might use these for the marathon instead of gels. On the subject of gels, I noticed a good few gel wrappers randomly discarded around the course :mad: Got a good pick up from the water and glucose and kept up a good effort on the bike home. Passed out a few road bikes going uphill and a few more towards the end of the bike. Turning into Tulfarris for the finish I spotted my Dad and that put a big smile on my face. I racked my bike and managed a good run to the finish line.
    Bike: 47:03

Finish time: 2:39:40

Finished 3rd woman in my wave and fifth woman overall. Not too bad. My run was poor and my run fitness is not where it needs to be but hopefully that'll improve once I can up my mileage a bit. Think my kayak buddy finished 8th overall. My legs are tired but happy now and my ankle doesn't seem too bad but I get the odd twinge if I rotate it too much so I'll keep an eye on it. Loved this race. Love the countryside and the lake and the mountains. The marshals were fantastic. So friendly and encouraging and it was superbly organised. Definitely one for my calendar :D

• Advertisement

Well done K.

But Jebus is that what awaits me in KAR?

Well done K.

But Jebus is that what awaits me in KAR?

Aye. Something similar ;):D

Feck. Better start training so...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Congrats great performance CM I'm tired even reading all you did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sounds like an adventure alright.
    Well done.
    Are marathons etc. just too boring for you now? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement