Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thursday:

3m @ 10:29

Stupid foal kicked me in the elbow. He’s not very friendly! Lost all feeling in my arm and then I thought I was going to faint but I rubbed some ice cubes into it and it was fine. I think he just hit the nerve but no damage done. Lucky I can’t get near the little fecker or I’d have pasted him :D

Friday:

Rest. Was feeling a bit tired so didn't even do my exercises

Saturday:

Roscrea 5k: 21:17

Perfect running weather today. I was looking forward to this race all week. Local races are nice because I get all my jobs done before I go. This race starts in the grounds of Mt St Joseph Abbey. I used to work around here so I know the roads pretty well and this is a fast course. Most of the 'real runners' were doing the 10k but I saw a couple of girls at the start who looked fast and one or two of the lads were apparently 17:xx 5k runners. I did a good warm up. 1.25 mile easy with strides and then another mile slower.

We started at the back gate of the monastery after the 10k had gone off. One of the ‘fast looking’ girls had a sportsworld vest on and I lined up behind her. As usual there was a few slow people up the front but they were mostly overly enthusiatic teenagers. Off we went out the back gate, down the road and back in the front gate to do a little loop back to where we started. I was feeling good. I was only going to check my watch for the mile splits and the plan was to just go comfortably hard all the way. SW girl was about 5m in front of me and there was another woman in a purple top about 60m in front of us. Coming up the avenue the watch beeped for the mile split 6:25, Oops it's probably not the best plan in the world for the first mile in a 5k race to be the fastest one you've run in 10 months! SW girl slowed a bit here and I was feeling ok so I kept at the same effort. The woman in the purple top was coming back to us (she told me afterwards she got a really bad stitch) and I passed her as well and I could hear SW girl just back off me. There was a steep little incline about halfway through the second mile before you turn left back to the finish and SW girl passed me here. I knew if I didn't go with her I wouldn't catch her again but while my brain was willing my legs said no thanks. Second mile 6:58 Legs were getting very tired now but the last mile is nice because it's a steady decline and you can see the rugby pitch all the way so you know the finish is coming. Legs were getting very tired but my breathing was not too bad. Usually in a 5k it's the opposite for me. About half a mile from the finish the woman in the purple top passed me. She was under pressure too but I literally had nothing left in my legs. Third mile 7:10 400m and 200m is marked which gives you a little bit of encouragement when you're dying and the finish is on the road which was lovely because I thought we were turning into the rugby club. Last bit 6:41

The woman in the purple top finished 12 seconds in front of me. She was telling me after that she ran 40:01 for a 10k back in May I think and she was so annoyed about not getting under 40min that she gave up the running until a few weeks ago.

So in summary:
    - bit disappointed not to run 20:xx on such a nice course but I think my legs are still a bit tired from the AR last week
    - it looks like I paced it badly but I'm happy that I kept the effort pretty even. The first mile is slightly downhill so I should have checked myself a bit but lesson learned for next year

Went for a swim after to give the legs a bit of tlc
    4 x 50m fc
    200m bs
    4 x 50m fc
    200m bs
    200m alternating fc and bs

I found the 50m fc a bit easier than usual today for some reason :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well done K - for some reason I thought this was on tomorrow. Anyway it sounds like you gave your all, as usual.

Sunday:

Orienteering in Glengarry woods near Cahir. Really lovely place. It was very foggy driving down but by the time we got there is was a fab day. This was organised by the Cork Orienteering Club and it was very efficient. I think there was 5 or 6 different courses ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced. So mindful of the fact that we overfaced ourselves in Ardgillen, Dad and I decided to go with the course advertised as being for improvers. We were going solo though so we each got a map and a dibber and away we went. It was a competition of course - I reckoned the fact that I was tired from yesterday balanced me being 30 years younger and a good bit fitter than Dad! There was a couple of tricky control points and a bit of undergrowth to be traversed over but in general it was easy enough so I'd say we could have managed a slightly more technical one. I'm really happy with my map reading though and I was navigating pretty well on the run. Got all 11 controls and finished the 3.4k in 51 minutes. Took Dad 60min so I won the bragging rights :D Orienteering is really enjoyable but the next few weeks are a bit too far down in Cork to be bothered with unfortunately

Monday:

3m @ 10:28

Legs feel good today but I'm going to keep my runs around the 40min mark for a while and go for a swim later. Plan for this week is mostly easy miles with maybe 20 minutes tempo on Saturday if I'm feeling good. Might add in some intervals the following week and do a parkrun in a month and then hopefully be in good shape to run a decent race in the Jingle Bells. That's the plan anyway :D

Mon p.m:

Swim 1200m:
    6 x 50m fc
    500m bs
    2 x 50m fc
    2 x 50m fc/bs
    2 x 50m fc
    100m fc/bs

This was alright. I'm not getting any worse anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice going Dora :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Nice going Dora :)

TbL

Thanks Popeye :D

I hope you're getting the spinach into you this week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done on your race, your plan sounds good!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Well done on your race, your plan sounds good!

Thanks Sam. How's your back. Any improvement?

Thanks Sam. How's your back. Any improvement?

It's great, 3 easy , easy miles this evening, pain free. Will keep the miles low and easy this week and swim as well. Very happy with myself I am!

It's great, 3 easy , easy miles this evening, pain free. Will keep the miles low and easy this week and swim as well. Very happy with myself I am!

Yay :D That's great news! When you have to stop running you really really appreciate even getting out for 30 minutes :D

• Advertisement

Yay :D That's great news! When you have to stop running you really really appreciate even getting out for 30 minutes :D

It's like having new legs! So glad to be able to run especially in this weather!

Tuesday

3m @ 8:46 + strides

Legs were a teeny weeny bit sore today from the core work I think. I was considering not doing any today but then I looked at my watch after half a mile and I was at 7:45 pace. I sometimes find that happens after a recent race. My easy pace feels a lot easier. So I slowed down some and got my core stuff done. Just looking at the races I've done since I was injured and there's a nice little progression going on:

Date|Dist|Pace
    25 Jul|5k|7:08
    30 Aug|4m|6:59
    11 Oct|5k|6:50

Wednesday:

4m @ 8:59

Different route today which was nice. Don't usually go this way because there's a house with nasty dogs and I have given them every opportunity to be friendly but to no avail. So I decided this morning I will not be bullied by 2 terriers and some sort of large mongrel. I picked up a stick on my travels which meant I was running nonchalantly down the road armed with a large tree branch under my arm. I did unfortunately meet one of the neighbours but I just acted like it was a normal thing to be doing on a Wednesday morning. As I was coming to the house the owner drove out. And sure enough as I ran past the dogs made for me. My weapon was good though. About a metre and a half long with a little bit of foliage so it made a lovely swooshing noise. The dogs weren't long turning on their tails. It really made my run. Apart from that my legs were a little sore again but it's a good kind of soreness :D

Wednesday:

Different route today which was nice. Don't usually go this way because there's a house with nasty dogs and I have given them every opportunity to be friendly but to no avail. So I decided this morning I will not be bullied by 2 terriers and some sort of large mongrel. I picked up a stick on my travels which meant I was running nonchalantly down the road armed with a large tree branch under my arm. I did unfortunately meet one of the neighbours but I just acted like it was a normal thing to be doing on a Wednesday morning. As I was coming to the house the owner drove out. And sure enough as I ran past the dogs made for me. My weapon was good though. About a metre and a half long with a little bit of foliage so it made a lovely swooshing noise. The dogs weren't long turning on their tails. It really made my run. Apart from that my legs were a little sore again but it's a good kind of soreness :D

Armed and dangerous! Sure the neighbour probably thought you were after cattle! ( or else the men in white coats maybe calling)

Armed and dangerous! Sure the neighbour probably thought you were after cattle! ( or else the men in white coats maybe calling)

Ha :D It's ok I often meet her out running. She's very shy and has only recently started to say hello back to me. She had her new dog with her today and she gathered him up protectively as I ran by. She needed have worried though ...... I have no issues with her dog :D

Wednesday:

A bit of self flagellation there Dora and you coulda turned it into a tempo session :)

Dogs like that drive me crazy, a handful of gravel give a nice shotgun effect and works a treat!

TbL

A bit of self flagellation there Dora and you coulda turned it into a tempo session :)

Dogs like that drive me crazy, a handful of gravel give a nice shotgun effect and works a treat!

TbL

:D

I'm not into that kinky kind of stuff ..... what you and Bulmers choose to do on your runs together is your own business ;)

Thursday:

4m @ 8:58 + strides

Feeling good today. Usually when I'm doing my strides I do 6 strides of about 120m with walk back recovery. I was reading this article and I decided to shorten the distance a little and do 8 reps. Just for a change ;) I'm in a really good mood today because I'm applying to do a postgrad cert in the RVC. I thought it would be simple - you just pays your moolah. But no I have to have two referees, one from UCD and it's 10 years since I graduated so I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass. Last night I emailed one of the professors asking would he do it and he emailed me back almost straight away saying he's in China but it'll be no problem. I love people like that. He's really important and he's head of this committee and that organisation and he advises world leaders but he still signs his emails 'Pat' cause he knows that once upon a time he had his arm stuck up a cow's arse too :D

What is RVC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

What is RVC?

A fancy place you learn to stick your arm up a cows arse. Royal Veterinary College i'd say. Best of luck with it Kate.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    A fancy place you learn to stick your arm up a cows arse. Royal Veterinary College i'd say. Best of luck with it Kate.

Are you telling me there are schools in Dublin for that kind of caper?

Just the one in Dublin (UCD) but I'm doing the cert in the RVC in London because they do a distance learning one

Just the one in Dublin (UCD) but I'm doing the cert in the RVC in London because they do a distance learning one

Are there cows in London?? The plot thickens! Best of luck with the studies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

TbL should be able to fill you in on the seedier parts of Dublin, he seems to be an expert on all things kinky!!

Thursday:

4m @ 8:58 + strides

Feeling good today. Usually when I'm doing my strides I do 6 strides of about 120m with walk back recovery. I was reading this article and I decided to shorten the distance a little and do 8 reps. Just for a change ;) I'm in a really good mood today because I'm applying to do a postgrad cert in the RVC. I thought it would be simple - you just pays your moolah. But no I have to have two referees, one from UCD and it's 10 years since I graduated so I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass. Last night I emailed one of the professors asking would he do it and he emailed me back almost straight away saying he's in China but it'll be no problem. I love people like that. He's really important and he's head of this committee and that organisation and he advises world leaders but he still signs his emails 'Pat' cause he knows that once upon a time he had his arm stuck up a cow's arse too :D

Must resist, must resist, or Tang will think I'm an awful pervert altogether :)

TbL

I have to have two referees, one from UCD

Presumably you'll be looking to your Boards friends for your second reference...I'm sure we'd come up with something.....eh....accurate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Presumably you'll be looking to your Boards friends for your second reference...I'm sure we'd come up with something.....eh....accurate...

Committee meeting in Ballyhoura at the weekend :D

Friday:

3m @ 10:32

I'm a cold creature and for me to be doing a recovery run at half 7 in the morning in a t-shirt and shorts in the middle of October is :eek: :D

Saturday:

5.5m @ 8:02

1m @ 9:00
    2.76m @ 7:15 (7:24, 7:14, 7:06)
    1.74m @ 8:45, 8:40

I was in good form this morning so I said I'd lash into an old tempo run. Plan was 25 minutes at T with 10min warm up and cool down. My vdot from the 5k race was 46.37 so based on that my tempo runs should be around 7:17 pace. It's very windy out today so I reckoned between 7:15 - 7:20 would be fine.

First tempo mile was slightly uphill and into the wind. I was holding 7:20 pace but having to work and just towards the end of the mile there's a sharper little incline and I didn't kill myself up it so the pace dropped a bit.

Second mile is shady. No wind to speak of. Halfway through this mile I was thinking "25 minutes was way too ambitious ...... we'll do 20 minutes ..... you know what a couple of weeks ago I needed a break after 1m @ T ...... even if it was way too fast I think 15 minutes will be more than adequate ....... oh whoops we're gone past 15 minutes. Too bad. You'll have to go to 20 now" :D

Last .76 was slightly downhill. The wind was kind of blowing across me here so not really affecting the pace.

Very happy with this. I think 20 minutes was plenty. I had to run up the hill I do my hill repeats on for the cool down miles so my legs were plenty tired enough when I had finished. I'm going mountain biking tomorrow :D Yay ..... boardsies on bikes :D:D

Sunday:

Mountain biking in Ballyhoura :D About 30k in 3 hours - forgot my watch but I'll borrow AKW's once he's finished drooling over all the data and updates his log ;)

Left out all the horses before I left. I don't think they were overly excited about being chucked out in the dark but c'est la vie. I parked my car in Ardpatrick and cycled the few k up to the trails. I like doing this because it's uphill all the way and it gives you a bit of a taster of what's to come. I find if I haven't been on the trails in a while, it takes the bones of the first hour to get used to the burning feeling in your lungs and calves. The Ballyhoura trails are kind of a magical place. Everytime I go up there it's a bit different and it seems as if the same paths lead you to different places. Very cool. Fell off my bike early on. It was just bad driving :o We did a couple of new loops which were very fast and bumpy and twisty and lots of fun. All in all a very enjoyable morning. I'm tired now though. May have to go for a little power nap :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Hey Kate, just catching up on your log. My girlfriends sister just started a post grad in Vetenary at UCD (you met her after the Raheny 5 this year). If you're looking for any help/advice, let me know and I'll pass on her details.

Cleanman wrote: »
    Hey Kate, just catching up on your log. My girlfriends sister just started a post grad in Vetenary at UCD (you met her after the Raheny 5 this year). If you're looking for any help/advice, let me know and I'll pass on her details.

Deadly. Thanks a mill :D

Monday:

3m rec @ 10:18

Did exactly what it said on the tin ;)

Tuesday:

Session :D

I was just heading out for an easy run but I had a session of 8 x 1min on/off planned for tomorrow and I had the run/walk function set on my watch to see if I'd be able to do the session in the dark because tomorrow is a busy day. My legs felt good after 1 mile so I figured I'd just get stuck in to it today. It was very windy and a bit wet but I didn't mind because I wasn't worrying about pace. I thought the 1 min sections would record on the watch but they don't seem to have. It looks from the graph like I kept the 'on' bits nice and consistent anyway. The last one looks a tiny bit faster which should be right as I turned out of the wind. Happy with the effort I put in as it was a struggle in places and I think I'm getting fitter :D

Wednesday:

Rest

Had time for a recovery run but my hip was complaining a bit. Not when I was moving around but when I was standing still in work I was getting the odd twinge. 11 days since my last complete rest day so I put the feet up ...... Nah I swept the yard instead :) Had to justify the bag of Minstrels!

Thursday:

4m @ 9:00

No bother from my hip but my legs were a small bit tired so I didn't bother with strides

Friday:

4m @ 8:55

Was really tired today. Slept badly and had to give myself a virtual kick up the backside to get out. Probably wouldn't have gone at all except I wanted to do some faster paces tomorrow. I felt pretty good once I was out (but not good enough to do strides ;))

Saturday:

5m @ 7:40 + 1m c/d @ 8:50

1m steady: 8:01
    1m MP: 7:35
    1m easy: 8:35
    1m HMP: 7:17
    1m 10kP: 6:52 (last 90sec @5k pace)

I really enjoyed this. The wind was a bit of a pain in places but I always felt I had plenty in the tank so I didn't have to push too hard to keep the pace where I wanted it. I got a really bad stitch during the easy mile and I couldn't get rid of it so I stopped my watch and walked for 90sec. I left 2 and a half hours between my run and breakfast but I'm used to running on empty so I think maybe that was the reason. The walk did the trick anyway and I had no bother during the faster miles and I was able to quicken up nicely at the finish. Happy days :D

Sun a.m

Orienteering in Castlecomer

We went for a more advanced course today. 5k min distance, 20 controls. Unfortunately my brain was still on yesterday's time:

D'oh No 1: I ran past the 2nd control and it took me ages to realise and turn around. Missed it again on the way back and I got all confused and thought I must have taken the wrong road so I went back to 1st control and took the wrong road and then had to come back onto the right road ..... long story short found it eventually

D'oh No 2: Thought it would be clever to take a short cut through briars and dense undergrowth to get to C3 and because I'm stubborn it took a long time for me to turn around and admit defeat

D'oh No 3: Went over on my ankle coming down a pile of loose stones. Ouch

Dad rang me after 90 min. 'Where are you. I'm finished. Do you need a compass' :mad: I was still on C10 at that stage and the apathy was just starting to set in. I found C11 and C12 and then because I was near the car park I called it a day :o On a positive note, the 11 controls that I found, I found entirely by myself and everytime I got lost (many, many times) I was able to use the map to navigate back to where I should have been and I got lots of exercise and mountain climbing done in 2hrs and 5.34miles

Lessons learnt:
    - DO NOT run unless you are 100% sure you are on the right path
    - DO NOT investigate random controls that are not marked on your map because invariably they will turn out to be a waste of time
    - As a famous hobbit once said, 'Short cuts make LONG DELAYS'

Sun p.m

3m @ 10:20

Ankle was a bit sore starting off but improved as I went on. That right ankle is always giving me trouble on the trails. I think I might start doing some specific ankle rehab to try and strengthen it up. I love when you come back from a recovery run and you feel better for it :D

• Advertisement

This week has been a bit crazy

Monday:

3m @ 10:07

First mile was a bit quicker than normal for a recovery run. Ankle was perfect thankfully as I never got round to the rehab exercises. Busy day working the horses and then I clipped all the winter coat off Mireya to stop her sweating when she's exercising as it's impossible to dry her. She wasn't best pleased and sulked for the rest of the day :(

Tuesday:

4m @ 8:50 + 10 x 50m strides

5a.m run. Got a bit freaked out doing stretches while I was waiting for the garmin signal cause it was very dark and the only light was from my head torch and then I started thinking what if I turned my head and I could see somebody standing there. How creepy would that be??? Good job I got a signal or I might have bolted for the back door :D Run was fine except it was very warm and my head torch died after 2 miles. It was pretty cool watching the sky lighten. At first I thought there was a big lorry coming!

Wednesday:

5.1m @ 7:50

Another 5a.m run. Steady pace and I sprinted the last 100m. Had my head torch well charged but my watch died after 3.1m :rolleyes: It was an out and back run and I think that pace is about right from time elapsed. Doesn't matter anyway. Weather is all over the place. Was freezing cold this morning with frost on the windscreens. Nice for running because it wasn't so cold that I needed gloves.

Thursday:

4m @ 8:38 + 6 x 120m strides

Yet another early one. I've had to be in Kildare at 9a.m every morning this week so I have to get my run done and 3 horses ridden out before 8a.m. Needless to say I do not have time for a shower so god bless baby wipes :oThe run was maybe a shade on the fast side.

Tomorrow I get a lie in and a recovery run :D Happy days. That pretty much wraps up October. Hip rehab is going well. I try to do some kind of exercises at least every second day and some stretches before I run. It's handy doing them while I wait for the garmin signal. I'm very slowly increasing the mileage as well and it seems to be working well.

Mth|Mileage
    Jun| 21
    Jul| 27
    Aug| 42
    Sept| 62
    Oct| 95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Are you still thinking of a spring marathon CM or is it to early to say?

Are you still thinking of a spring marathon CM or is it to early to say?

Hi OP

I've decided against a marathon next year. I don't think I'd be able to increase the mileage quickly enough without injuring myself. Realistically I'll be only up to running 30-35 miles/wk by xmas and I don't think that's enough with my injury history so that rules out spring. The beast of ballyhoura is an epic 72hrs next year so I can't see myself doing an autumn marathon either

Hi OP

I've decided against a marathon next year. I don't think I'd be able to increase the mileage quickly enough without injuring myself. Realistically I'll be only up to running 30-35 miles/wk by xmas and I don't think that's enough with my injury history so that rules out spring. The beast of ballyhoura is an epic 72hrs next year so I can't see myself doing an autumn marathon either

Have you set a new running goal yet?

Have you set a new running goal yet?

Ha :D I like the way you specify 'running' goal!!

Well at the moment I'm undertaking a little experiment to see how fast I can run a 5k in on my own limited mileage plan. The 'goal' race is the Jingle Bells which is 5 weeks on Saturday and sub 20 is the gold medal there. I'm going to do a parkrun in a couple of weeks to see how the plan is progressing. There's one started in Vicarstown which is about 40 min drive so I'll give that a whirl :D

How are you set for the 10k?

• Advertisement

Oh good luck with it, would love to see you go sub 20. I'm not really set at all as was just building up the mileage when I hurt my back, that seems to have settled now Thank God but last week was a write off with too many social occasions:confused: So back to trying to up the miles between now and 10 km in Dec. We have a park run starting here in Ballina on Nov 22 nd, its a lovely route through the woods so should be popular. I'm hoping to do that at least once a month. I'm helping out some Saturdays too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Hi OP

Yeah I kinda thought that would be the case, I reckon you're doing the right thing too. The reason i ask is I'd be curious to see how you would go in a marathon if you got an uninterrupted 6 months behind you before getting stuck into a marathon plan, very quick being my guess! 2016 so.

As for 72hrs.........jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Sun a.m

Orienteering in Castlecomer

We went for a more advanced course today. 5k min distance, 20 controls. Unfortunately my brain was still on yesterday's time:

D'oh No 1: I ran past the 2nd control and it took me ages to realise and turn around. Missed it again on the way back and I got all confused and thought I must have taken the wrong road so I went back to 1st control and took the wrong road and then had to come back onto the right road ..... long story short found it eventually

D'oh No 2: Thought it would be clever to take a short cut through briars and dense undergrowth to get to C3 and because I'm stubborn it took a long time for me to turn around and admit defeat

D'oh No 3: Went over on my ankle coming down a pile of loose stones. Ouch

Dad rang me after 90 min. 'Where are you. I'm finished. Do you need a compass' :mad: I was still on C10 at that stage and the apathy was just starting to set in. I found C11 and C12 and then because I was near the car park I called it a day :o On a positive note, the 11 controls that I found, I found entirely by myself and everytime I got lost (many, many times) I was able to use the map to navigate back to where I should have been and I got lots of exercise and mountain climbing done in 2hrs and 5.34miles

Lessons learnt:
    - DO NOT run unless you are 100% sure you are on the right path
    - DO NOT investigate random controls that are not marked on your map because invariably they will turn out to be a waste of time
    - As a famous hobbit once said, 'Short cuts make LONG DELAYS'

Sun p.m

3m @ 10:20

Ankle was a bit sore starting off but improved as I went on. That right ankle is always giving me trouble on the trails. I think I might start doing some specific ankle rehab to try and strengthen it up. I love when you come back from a recovery run and you feel better for it :D

Hi CM - Where in Castlecomer is the Orienteering. I'm assuming it's in the Discovery park. Live near there, might try it in the future.

PDCAT wrote: »
    Hi CM - Where in Castlecomer is the Orienteering. I'm assuming it's in the Discovery park. Live near there, might try it in the future.

Hi PD :D There's a permanent course in the discovery park. That's quite good to do the first time you do it or if you're a beginner and you can do it anytime. The one last Sunday was organised by the Waterford orienteering club and they had 5 or 6 different courses with temporary controls that were put out the night before. We started just up the road from the discovery park (think it was at the iron works) and we did go into the discovery park in places but also all of the coillte land around the park

Friday:

3m @ 10:30

Lovely jubbly recovery run. I needed this :D

Saturday:

Session: It's pretty windy here today and I was going to leave the pace work till tomorrow but then I thought feck it, it doesn't matter what pace I run as long as I keep the effort even and I lashed into it. Plan was a pyramid session either 1/2/3/2/1 or 1/2/3/3/2/1 depending on how I felt. I did 8 x 1min reps last week so I was planning to do either 9min or 12 min today. The wind was a pain and no matter what way I turned it seemed to be against me but I'm happy with how it went and my legs felt good so I went for the 12 min option. I took equal recoveries .... walking the first half and jogging the second half

Time|1min|2min|3min|3min|2min|1min
    Pace|6:16|6:21|6:33|6:19|5:51|5:31

I think I need a new watch. Can't upload any of my runs to GC anymore. I've tried lots of different things but no good. I think it must be the watch because I can't upload them to mapmyrun either. Had to work out the paces the old fashioned way :D

Total: 5m @ 8:42

Sunday:

4.6m hillwalking up the Devil's Bit

Some history: The mountain got it's name because legend has it that not only did the devil take a bite out the mountain, he broke a tooth while doing it and that became the Rock of Cashel, The Book of Dimma was supposedly discovered in a cave on the mountain in 1789. It is an illuminated manuscript copy of the four Gospels and was written in the monastery of St. Cronan in Roscrea some time during the 8th century. According to legend, Cronan ordered his scribe Dimma to produce the manuscript before sunset on that day. He then used miraculous powers to ensure that the sun did not set for forty days, and Dimma spent all of this period completing the manuscript without feeling the need to eat or sleep. The manuscript disappeared following the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century. There is some debate about whether or not the manuscript was actually found on the Devil's Bit amid claims that it could not have survived without damage in an outdoor environment for over two centuries. The tower on the approach to the summit is known as Carden's Folly. The Cardens were an Anglo-Irish aristocratic family who arrived in Ireland during the seventeenth century. They purchased estates in Templemore and Barnane and became the principal landlords in the area in subsequent centuries. The most notable Carden was undoubtedly John Rutter Carden (1811–1866), better known as 'Woodcock', so-called by irate tenants because he was as difficult to shoot as the bird of that name. As well as constructing the folly, he built a magnificent family home on the lower slopes of the mountain. Although the house was demolished in the early 20th century, the ruins of the walled garden can still be seen. In 1854, 'Woodcock' made a notorious attempt to kidnap a lady, Eleanor Arbuthnot, with whom he had become obsessed.

We started on the 5k loop that takes you up past the tower to the top of the devils bit. Supposedly you can see nine counties from the summit. Tipp, Clare, Cork, Galway, Kilkenny, Laois, Limerick, Offaly and Waterford as well as the Knockmealdown and Comeragh mountains, the Galtees, Lough Derg and the river Shannon. I think you would possibly need binoculars though ;)

IMG_0090.jpg

View from the top.

On the way down, we were coming back around and we came to a crossroad. Left was back to the car park so we went right. We walked for about a mile and just when we thought we'd have to turn back because it wasn't going anywhere, we came to a bend in the road with a small path heading off to the right. We followed this and it took us out over a couple of gates and then we we got onto a narrow sheep path that led us up through bogs and bracken and rocks to the triangulation station which marks the highest point of the mountain on the 'Long Rock'.

IMG_0102_2.jpg
    View from the 'Long Rock' with the tower or 'Folly'

I like walking across the bracken - it's like being on a trampoline. From here we followed the path back to the carpark. I was going to do a 4m run when I got home but I think I'll leave it at that now :D

Jeez history lessons too - is that the new thing on this log? :D

Looks like it was a lovely day for a nice, challenging walk.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Jeez history lessons too - is that the new thing on this log? :D

Just keeping it fresh :p:D

Monday:

4m @ 8:37

In Kildare again this week so more early morning runs. I quite like them though and I'm usually awake before my alarm clock. Normally I do another recovery run on a Monday but since I didn't run on Sunday, I figured the hillwalking was enough recovery and I'd be justified in doing an easy run. Effort was easy but the pace is a bit faster than normal. I think that's progress especially at 5 a.m :)

Tuesday:

4m @ 8:53 + 6 x 120m strides

Tried to make this a bit slower than yesterday because I don't want to get into a habit of doing all my easy runs too fast. Met two wild cats this morning. You spot the two green eyes from about 100m away with the headlight. They didn't run away - just sat there looking at me as I ran past with a bemused expression.

Wednesday:

1m @ 9:00
    4m @ 7:23, 7:28, 7:18, 7:06
    1m @ 9:50

Tempo this morning. I did nearly 3 miles the last time I did a tempo so I said I'd do 4m this morning. It was windy again and I forgot to charge my headlight so I did this purely on effort because the light from the torch was faint and I could hardly see the road never mind my watch. The first mile is uphill. I'm surprised the second mile is that slow because the road levels and although I was running into a strong headwind I thought the pace would be faster because I was working hard. I sprinted the last 50m on the fourth mile. Nice easy mile to finish off then which was needed :)

Thursday:

5m @ 9:15

No bother going slowly today. I noticed a pain along the inside arch of my left foot after I had gone about 600m. I thought my shoe might just have been a bit tight when pain didn't go away I stopped and loosened my shoe even though it wasn't tight. It didn't help but the pain didn't get any worse so I kept running. Then I remembered yesterday morning in the dark during the first tempo mile, I put my foot in a pothole. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Well, I actually thought phew, thank god it's my left foot because my right ankle is a bit dodgy. But it was fine for the rest of the run and all day yesterday. I shouldn't have done as much this morning because my foot was sore for the rest of the day. When will I learn :rolleyes:. It's not bad now but a little research suggests I may have strained the abductor hallucis muscle and surprise, surprise "Continuing to train on an injured foot will only make the injury worse or delay the healing process" so until it's better no more running. Although I am allowed to swim yippee :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement