Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ouch :eek: and phew :D
    Just followed the fartlek link...so that's the name of the type of fartlek I was doing a few weeks back. Tell him to feck off, my da was giving me that session in the 80s :D On a serious note, there are so many types of fartlek anybody can lay claim to any type. I suppose these guys have laid claim to this particular version. Must try the full OCD version sometime...
    Anyway, gotta split ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Wednesday:

Run: Garda college 5k

Saw this on the munster running calender and I was definite on doing it because it's so local until I hurt my leg on Sunday. I felt good this morning though and I got all my jobs done so I'd no excuse. The plan was to use it as a good hard workout. Sometimes I think when I'm training that I don't push myself hard enough on the hard days because it's easy to take the foot off the pedal when you're on your own.

I only did a small warmup (~0.5m w strides) because I came from home and I'd been working on the farm before I left. The nice garda who was doing the registrations was kind enough to ask if I was one of the transition year students who were getting a crash course on road safety :) The race was a fundraiser for Temple St but it actually felt like I was gatecrashing a garda xmas party at the start because I think I was the only person who was not a garda/garda student. And there was loads of them dressed up as santas and elves :eek:

I lined up at the front. I figured from looking around, that was the best place for me and after the usual 3-2-1 we were off. I jumped straight into the lead behind a garda car with flashing lights :D It took a couple of minutes for my brain to catch up with my legs cause when I looked at my watch I was going at 6:15 pace :eek: NO NO NO What are you like?? We had turned up the Borrisoleigh road at this stage and into a nice little headwind so I eased back a bit and tucked in, in 4th about 5m behind 3 lads who were running in a line. We passed out the garda car as we turned off the main road into the park and shortly after watch beeped for mile 1 6:25

The lads must use this route as a training run because they never hesitated at the junctions in the park and it was cool having them in front. The park was nice and sheltered but the pace dropped a bit due to a few sharp hills and the ground was boggy in places. I wasn't too bothered cause the effort was consistent and when I had a sneaky look behind me at a corner there was no one behind me. Towards the end of this mile I dropped back a bit further off the lads and one of the lads dropped off the other two. Mile 2 6:40

When we came back out of the park the garda car was waiting for us and we set off through a housing estate and back around to the college. I was on my own now. The lad in 3rd was about 50m in front but it would have taken a good effort to catch up with him and I was working hard enough where I was because when we turned back onto the avenue to the college the headwind was back with a vengence Mile 3 6:50 Still had a bit to go though before the turn into the college. I was getting a bit tired now but I managed to put a spurt on when I saw the finish line. Course was a bit more than 5k by my garmin. Last bit was .34 @ 7:04 for a time of 22:22. Finished 4th overall. First lady (got to break the tape :D)

I didn't stay for the soup/tea/coffee. Apart from feeling like a bit of an intruder, my side mirror was smashed the other day so I thought in might be better to go before anybody noticed :D Also needed to bring me horses in out of the rain ;)

Swim: 1800m
    200m fc
    50m breathe on (2/3/4/5/6/7/8/7/6/5/4/3/2)
    3 x 200m pb
    200m fc

My right quad was a bit sore when I got home and I wanted to get this session done so headed to the pool. This was the most horrible session ever. I was not wishing Kurt Godel a happy xmas in the middle of that breathing set :mad: The only thing that kept me going was the thought of the 600m with the pull bouy :D Good to get it done and my legs feel all the better for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on the first lady, super stuff - think you were right to leg it afterwards you would have definitely been done for the broken wing mirror after waltzing in and winning the race :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thats a regular run for garda college students, used to detest doing it 14 years ago when cigarettes were more important than running. Well done on 1st lady.

Well done, nice little leg shake out. Bad news on my part :( Just been informed that the Wicklow Masters XC are on Jan 3rd so no TB OR Ferrycarrig for me. Funny, cos after our deal (:o ) the other day, I went online to enter for the TB but at the last hurdle, I blocked my card cos I couldn't remember the visa online password (I NEVER get asked for that) so couldn't register...

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well done on the first lady, super stuff - think you were right to leg it afterwards you would have definitely been done for the broken wing mirror after waltzing in and winning the race :D:D

Thanks TJ :D In fairness you still see through it - the view is just a bt fragmented :D
    tang1 wrote: »
    Thats a regular run for garda college students, used to detest doing it 14 years ago when cigarettes were more important than running. Well done on 1st lady.

Thanks Barry. I was thinking of you on the way round :)

What's your pb on that run btw? :p
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Well done, nice little leg shake out. Bad news on my part :( Just been informed that the Wicklow Masters XC are on Jan 3rd so no TB OR Ferrycarrig for me. Funny, cos after our deal (:o ) the other day, I went online to enter for the TB but at the last hurdle, I blocked my card cos I couldn't remember the visa online password (I NEVER get asked for that) so couldn't register...

Aw boo :( There's a 10k in Thurles on Stephen's Day that I might do instead so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nicely done Dora

Did you get penalty points for speeding after your first mile :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Nice work! Are nt them gardai charmers! Transition year no less!

Nicely done Dora

Did you get penalty points for speeding after your first mile :)

TbL

Ha :D good one

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Nice work! Are nt them gardai charmers! Transition year no less!

Charmers the lot of them ;) but hey who am I to complain if my youthful good looks are mistaken for a teenager :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Good job on the 5k, you wont feel that 10k coming around... Good luck with it :)

Thursday:

Rest. Was busy so didn't mind too much

Friday:

Run: 4.55m @ 8:58

Legs were a bit tiredy but no aches or pains :)

Swim: 2400m
    200 fc
    4 x 50m kick
    100 in 2:34 \
    200 in 5:39 |
    300 in 8:07 |
    400 in 10:26 > all with pb
    300 in 7:49 |
    200 in 5:04 |
    100 in 2:27 /
    200 fc
    4 x 50m sailboat

Good swim tonight. I was very happy when I saw on the plan that I could use the pb. Much easier. Interesting that the later sets are faster. I always feel that I swim better later in the session so I wore the watch tonight to see if I was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Love that 5k report - great win! (especially for a transition year kid)

Saturday:

Rest

Very busy all day. Farrier was here early on and I needed to get the hair clipped off 3 of them. I was going to go when I'd finished at half 5 but it was dark and I didn't feel like it then :D

Sunday:

Run: 7m @ 7:29 + 1m c/d @ 9:21

(8:06, 7:36, 7:45, 7:31, 7:12, 7:04, 7:11)

I got Dad to come with me on the bike. No point in him moping around the house! I was going to do 7m easy with strides but I changed my mind and decided to run at a comfortably hard pace for 7m instead. Didn't look at the watch. Not even to check the splits. It was pretty windy at times and I felt like I was running at steady pace mostly and MP at times. The first 4 miles were into the wind so I had the wind behind me for the last 3 which is why they're a bit faster. Happy with the splits when I saw them and with the way I'm feeling at the faster paces :D

Swim: 1550m
    200 fc
    4 x 100 pb/kick
    3 x 50m fingertip
    3 x 50m pb
    3 x 50m armpit
    3 x 50m pb (forgot to bring the board with me so couldn't do sailboat)
    3 x 50m sw
    200 bs

Found the drills easier today. I thought I was swimming better even though I was a bit tired.

Monday:

Swim: 1400m

200 fc
    2 x (50m ripple, 50m armpit, 50m pb, 50m sw)
    rest
    100 TT in 2:39
    rest
    2 x (50m ripple, 50m armpit, 50m pb, 50m sw)
    rest
    100 TT in 2:38
    200 fc

Today was 100m time trial day :D I didn't do the kick drills at the start because my legs were a bit tired from yesterday. The first TT I started hyperventilating after about 60m and I was swallowing water the whole time. I had to stop after 80m because I swallowed a whole heap of water and nearly asphyxiated myself. I probably looked like a dying fish :D I did remember to stop the timer though wink.png but I needed a few seconds to compose myself before I started again. Finished off in 2:39 (33.4, 38.7, 42.5, 42.5)

The second one was better. I was on my own and I thought I was more controlled starting off, but the watch shows otherwise! I still started to hyperventilate but I only had about 10m to go so I was able to keep swimming. Finished in 2:38 (31.8, 37.9, 43.1, 44.6)

That's an 11 sec PB from the TT I did 3 weeks ago :D

Run: 3m @ 9:19

I was going to go a bit further but my legs were knackered :)

OK I'm gonna say it... I'm totally lost but strangely intrigued with these swimming terms..
    fc, kicks, ripple, sw ect....

I won't even go there as to what I though a sailboat was :D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    OK I'm gonna say it... I'm totally lost but strangely intrigued with these swimming terms..
    fc, kicks, ripple, sw ect....

I won't even go there as to what I though a sailboat was :D

*Evil laugh* One foot in the 'darkside door' Marty :D
    Kurt Godel wrote: »

kick board
    pull bouy

Terminology
    fc=front crawl/freestyle
    sw=swim (front crawl)
    k=kick (usually holding a board out in front like Superman)
    pb=pull bouy (usually held between the thighs)
    dp=doggy paddle (head above the water)
    "10*100 off 2:30, in 2:10" means you swim 100m ten times; each 100m should take 2:10 ("in 2:10"), and you have the remainder time to rest (ie 2:30-2:10=20 seconds rest) before starting the next 100m.
    Bilateral breathing=breathing both sides. For example, "breathe every 3" means you take a breath one side, stroke, stroke, stroke while breathing on the other side. Essential to have, and something we will work a lot on. When your head is underwater you should be exhaling slowly through the nose. Making a "Mmmmmm" sound can help.
    Hypoxic=limited breathing. 25m 2 breaths means you take a breath at the wall, then maximum two breaths more as you swim to the other wall.
    Ripple/Fingertip=as your arm exits and reaches forward, ripple your fingers along the water. This drill teaches correct hand entry.
    Armpit touch=as your arm recovers, imagine your hand zipping up a dress from back to shoulder, almost touch the armpit, and extend. This teaches correct high elbow.
    Catch-up=Keep one hand extended, rotate with the other, slap hands and swap sides; repeat. This helps with your catch and glide.
    Thigh-tap=as your hand exits from the back, lightly graze your thigh with your thumb. This teaches you to get the most out of your stroke by not exiting too early.
    Fist=balled fists as you swim. This teaches to use the forearm to catch and pull through the water.
    "Sailboat"- hold your board tight between your crotch and your thighs, with the majority of the board facing down like a rudder. Clench your buttocks, and swim the 50's with the board held tightly. Your shoulders will need to rotate more to control the swim.

Bilateral Breathing

Ripple/Fingertip Drill

Armpit touch

Catch-up

Fist Drill

You tryin to drag us over to the dark side with your propaganda films missus?!

Stay away from the water Mrs, you have core work to do!

The water does wonders for your legs ;)

but not your hair :(

• Advertisement

Tuesday:

Run: 3m @ 9:24 + 6 x 110m strides

Nice recovery run with Claire. She came home yesterday. I tried to drag her out for a run then but she claimed she was suffering from jetlag :rolleyes:. I did the strides on a slight downhill for a change and I felt good doing them :D

Swim: 2200m

200m fc
    8 x 25m kick
    2 x 50m sailboat
    100m pb
    200m sw
    300m pb
    400m sw
    300m pb
    200m sw
    100m pb
    100m fc

I've had to frontload my week with swims because the pool is closed tomorrow until Sunday. This was a really good swim. My third day in a row swimming so I thought I might struggle a bit through it but it was actually grand. It helped that Claire was there. I'm faster than her with the pb but she's faster every other way so I had her to draft off for the main set :D

Wednesday:

4m @ 9:51

Legs needed another recovery run

Thursday:

Rest

Friday:

Newport Wren Run 10k

I didn’t run yesterday because I think that I’m fresher the next day if I don’t run. My 10k pb is 42:17 but I knew I wouldn’t better that today based on my recent 5k’s and tempo runs in training. I don’t think that the Jingle Bells is much use for calculating times from because it’s such an easy course so the best I could hope for was sub 43. My plan was to go no faster than 6:55 pace for the first mile and then just run to effort but it was windy and wet driving down so I revised that to 7 min pace.

This was a real family day out. I had roped Claire and Ian into doing the 10k with me and then we dragged Dad along as well to do the 5k :D No hassle registering and I got my nice red tech top (I don’t have any other red ones!). I met the lovely Bulmers in the car park and he gave me a comprehensive lowdown on the course and the hills and that made me more determined to not go too fast in the first mile.

It was bloody freezing and I was happy to start warming up at 12:40. I did a mile warm up including 4 strides and when I had finished most people were lined up at the start. I gave my coat to Claire (she still acclimatising so she ran in 2 coats and a woolly hat :D) and made my way to the front because I had sussed out the opposition and I figured I could win the women's race. I was looking around for Bulmers because I knew he was going to be faster than me but I couldn’t see him. I was thinking I should maybe drift back a few places when he magically appeared by my side! Shortly after that we were off …

The start is downhill and very fast. I had a quick look at my watch after about 20m and we were at 6:05 pace so I didn’t stay alongside Bulmers for too long. My breathing was nice and relaxed and I knew there was no women in front of me. We were still going downhill when after about 400m another woman passed me. I had a look at the watch. 6:20 pace. She looked pretty fit but she had a light yellow jacket on and a water bottle. Now I know appearances can be deceiving but there’s not too many people at the business end of races who carry a water bottle in a 10k so I didn’t go with her. Shortly after this we passed the community center where all the 5k people were lined up and I got a big shout out from my Dad :D and then the watch beeped for mile 1 6:55.

Yellow jacket lady (YJL) was about 5m in front of me now and there was a guy in a red t-shirt (RTG) beside me. The wind was a bit annoying but it was hard to really shelter from it and my left foot had gone completely numb. My shoes weren't too tight so I think it was probably just from the cold. We went up a shortish hill and I thought yellow jacket lady was not looking too comfortable and I made up a bit of ground on her. We were in a group of four now. YJL and another guy about 2m in front of me and RTG. YJL seemed to inject a bit of pace on the next downhill and I followed after her this time but kept behind her. I saw her take a sip of water and shake out her arms and it looked to me that she was under pressure so I knew I could bide my time. Mile 2 7:00

Going up the next hill RTG moved past YJL and I went with him. This was quite a long drag uphill and it was good to have someone to work with. I thought by his breathing though that he was struggling a bit so I tried to say a few words now and then just to encourage us both. Somewhere around here we passed by the Clare Glens which brought back happy memories from the Beast of Ballyhoura. In fact a lot of the houses and scenery for the next couple of miles looked vaguely familiar! RTG dropped back off me up the next hill and I told him to keep with me and in fairness he made a big effort to get back alongside me. Mile 3 7:26

I passed the 5k mark in 21:55. I was feeling good and I was pretty happy that I’d paced the first half of the race well. Going up the next hill there was a group of 3 about 10m in front of us and I told RJG that we’d try to catch up with them. He was dying now though and even though I tried hard to get him to come with me he dropped off. When I knew he wasn’t coming I caught up with the group of 3 a bit quicker than I had intended. I didn’t stay with them long because I was just going a shade faster than them and I didn’t want to check my stride. Mile 4 6:29

The next guy I remember running with also had a red t-shirt on but he was taller and he was going at a perfect pace for me. I ran with him for the next while. A couple of times I looked at my watch and he told me to go on so I think he was under pressure. I stayed with him until the 8k mark I think and then he just drifted back off me. I caught up in a guy with GAA shorts and socks on and I was hoping to run with him for a while but when I caught up to him he just stopped and walked. Mile 5 6:57

A couple of the marshals I’d passed had told me I was first woman. That was encouraging as I was starting to get a bit tired and I was all on my own now. I could see runners ahead of me on the straight bits of road but they were a good 200m so I wasn’t going to catch them. I passed the 9k mark and I told myself less than 5 minutes to go. Had a look at my watch and I knew the time wasn’t going to be brilliant. Then a guy on a bike came and escorted me for the last bit. That was fun and took my mind off the tiredness. Mile 6 7:02

Downhill into Newport was nice and I got a good breather here and then we turned in the middle of the town, up to the community centre and I put a bit of a sprint in, to finish the last bit at 6:41 pace for a watch time of 43:26 and first lady :D

Very well organised race and I really enjoyed it as did the others. It was great to meet Bulmers and mikethemechanic and I had a lovely cup of tea, several jam tarts and a mince pie roll in the hall after :D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done K - great to meet you. Congrats on the win - very good performance considering the conditions & profile.

Fair play to you, great race! Congrats on the win. Enjoyed that race report . Id say your Dad often thinks that you have far too much energy for his liking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nicely done Dora.

TbL

Super stuff K, great running. Sounds like you reaaly got stuck into it and enjoyed it, well done....
    See, this running is far better than swimming or pedalling :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on the win.

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Well done K - great to meet you. Congrats on the win - very good performance considering the conditions & profile.

Thanks dude :D
    Fair play to you, great race! Congrats on the win. Enjoyed that race report . Id say your Dad often thinks that you have far too much energy for his liking!

Thanks Sam. Did Santa bring you anything nice??

My family are all very grateful that I was blessed with an abundance of energy ;)
    Nicely done Dora.

TbL

Thanks Popeye :D Hope you had a nice xmas.
    Super stuff K, great running. Sounds like you reaaly got stuck into it and enjoyed it, well done....
    See, this running is far better than swimming or pedalling :D

Thanks Marty. It's a lot easier to be in a warm air conditioned pool in the middle of winter though .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Fair play, well done on the win.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Congrats on the win.
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Fair play, well done on the win.

Thanks guys. Hope you both had a good xmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Nicely done! Great race and report.

Nice win, great report CM. That's sharp shape considering you are returning from injury. Just a little something to toss about for 2015... How do you feel about going watchless for a race in 2015? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done! Great win and great report.

Nice win, great report CM. That's sharp shape considering you are returning from injury. Just a little something to toss about for 2015... How do you feel about going watchless for a race in 2015? :D

Thanks DG :D

Haha Ya I am a bit reliant on the watch at the moment. In the last 8 months there's only been one week where I've run over 30 miles (last week in November I ran 33) so the pace my legs find easy to sustain is very different from the pace my lungs find easy to sustain so I use the watch as a reality check ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You're some kid. So winning races is starting to become a habit for you now, isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Haha Ya I am a bit reliant on the watch at the moment. In the last 8 months there's only been one week where I've run over 30 miles (last week in November I ran 33) so the pace my legs find easy to sustain is very different from the pace my lungs find easy to sustain so I use the watch as a reality check ;)
    You definitely are doing quality over quantity. The dark side stuff can only be helping too :D But...and here's a challenge :D ... Feck the reality check once in a while? The watch is a limitation but your breathing (which you were doing) is a really good indicator of how you are doing. That, and the pure utter fear of not bloody knowing is the ultimate whip :D:D

The swimming is fantastic exercise though! Especially with the intensity you bring to it. You seem to be enjoying the mix at the moment and it certainly is nt doing you any harm! Would you like to increase your running mileage or what s the plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great running and congrats on the win, CM. I reckon you should have this back.

2rr760n.jpg

The swimming is fantastic exercise though! Especially with the intensity you bring to it. You seem to be enjoying the mix at the moment and it certainly is nt doing you any harm! Would you like to increase your running mileage or what s the plan?
    Ya I'm loving the swimming but it's very time consuming and it makes it hard to get round to everything. I do need to up the run mileage though and I'll have to do it very gradually. I'll have to have a good sit down with a cup of tea and a 12 pack of purple snacks after the Tom Brennan which I have just entered :D

Well the good news is the purple snacks are on offer in Dunnes at the moment. Start with 6 though!

• Advertisement

Well the good news is the purple snacks are on offer in Dunnes at the moment. Start with 6 though!

You're right of course!

I need to learn to pace myself. Build up my endurance and stamina, one snack at a time .....

And listen to my gut when it tells me that it can't stomach any more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Congrats on the win K. I'm seriously behind on my reading.

upthe19th wrote: »

Says the cyclist to the explorer :D:D

How are things with you UT19?? I see you're still doing some running at a decent pace :)

Any plans for 2015 you care to share??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Just catching up on some reading here - well done CM, congratulations, firmly on the comeback trail now.

Says the cyclist to the explorer :D:D

How are things with you UT19?? I see you're still doing some running at a decent pace :)

Any plans for 2015 you care to share??

Loads of plans MB, whether they pan out is another thing though.

Technically its cross training at a modest pace. I'll leave the running to those who can.

Loads of plans MB, whether they pan out is another thing though.

Technically its cross training at a modest pace. I'll leave the running to those who can.

Martyboy feels inadequate :D

So you'll leave the running to the likes of yourself :)

Martyboy feels inadequate :D

So you'll leave the running to the likes of yourself :)

There's a huge difference between a runner and one who runs occasionally. I'm in the latter category.

Considering your 10k is 4 minutes better than anything I've ever done (and will do), I wouldn't feel inadequate tbh ;).

With this said, I refer to my previous statement :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

+1
    Great result.
    I've been just posting my training without reading anything else as I haven't had time. A few days of that leaves you an awful lot to catch up on!

Good luck on Thursday if you're still running?

p.s. Mireya ran well today I thought. Might have even done a little bit better, only for that faller hampering her at the second last. Stayed on strongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Just catching up on your win K. Well done. Nice report but what's a pie roll......is it cockney slang.....

yaboya1 wrote: »
    +1
    Great result.
    I've been just posting my training without reading anything else as I haven't had time. A few days of that leaves you an awful lot to catch up on!

Good luck on Thursday if you're still running?

p.s. Mireya ran well today I thought. Might have even done a little bit better, only for that faller hampering her at the second last. Stayed on strongly.

Thanks. I know it's hard to keep up with the logs at this time of year!

Ya I was happy with her because conditions weren't in her favour - trip too short, ground too good. Think she may have got 3rd with a clear run but them's the breaks :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement