Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Just catching up on your win K. Well done. Nice report but what's a pie roll......is it cockney slang.....

Thanks Barry. A pie roll is a wonderful creation .... quite like a pie but it's a roll. Could be slang too cause there's no point in working if you can get the pie roll :D

Saturday:

Orienteering in Kilkenny castle with the troops and a friend. Weather wasn't too bad. We did the long course. 3.9k and 20 controls. Finished in around 45min. There was one sneaky control that took my around 10 minutes to find

Sunday:

5m @ 9:47

First 4 with Claire at her easy pace then quickened up a small bit

Monday:

Lots of walking

Tuesday:

Session: 2m w/u @ 9:00

Intervals 30sec - 2 min @ 5:25 - 6:53

1m c/d @ 9:40

Intervals started off at a slow pace. Not sure if I was tired or lazy because once I got into it I was having to slow myself down. Going to swim tomorrow so that's me done for this year :D

January:
    RUN MILES: 174
    RACES: 2
    COMMENT: Thought I do better than 20:30 in the TB5k after running 19:39 in th e JB 5k 4 weeks previously. Had a disappointing race in Raheny 5m as well (34:09)
    February:
    RUN MILES: 182
    BIKE KM: 16
    RACES: 0
    COMMENT: Got a new MTB. First time I’ve been on a bike since college
    March:
    RUN MILES: 214
    BIKE KM: 243
    COMMENT: First spin up (and down) the Ballyhoura trails on the MTB
    April:
    RUN MILES: 202
    BIKE KM: 218
    RACES: 1
    COMMENT: Got a small pb in the kclub 10k (42:17) but ran a poor enough race. Started off too fast and suffered
    May:
    RUN MILES: 120
    BIKE KM: 62
    COMMENT: First lady in the Ballyhoura mountain marathon (4hr25) Didn't manage my recovery properly and started back training too soon. Paid a high price when I got injured
    June:
    RUN MILES: 22
    BIKE KM: 209
    COMMENT: Still injured and not being treated well. 5 trips to the physio and it’s worse I’m getting
    July:
    RUN MILES: 27
    SWIM KM: 4.1
    BIKE KM: 220
    COMMENT: Go to sports clinic in Santry. Get an MRI and a diagnosis (damage to the tendon of the middle gluteal muscle). I'm able to manage it properly now and I do a 5k trail race in a reasonable time (22:18) at the end of the month. Haven’t been in a canoe for more than 20 years but do a 2 hr kayak and a team bonding day in Clare in preparation for the Beast of Ballyhoura
    August:
    RUN MILES: 42
    SWIM KM: 1.6
    BIKE KM: 100+
    COMMENT: Tackle the Beast in an epic adventure. Ran a good enough time in Tinryand 4m (28:08) off limited training
    September:
    RUN MILES: 61
    SWIM KM: 3.5
    BIKE KM: 270
    COMMENT: Multisport race in Blessington. Start learning to orienteer
    October:
    RUN MILES: 92
    SWIM KM: 2.1
    BIKE KM: 30
    COMMENT: Ok time in Roscrea 5k (21:17). Started off too fast again. Did another MS race in Killarney and a trip to Ballyhoura with the boardsies
    November:
    RUN MILES: 101
    SWIM KM: 11.4
    BIKE KM: 40
    COMMENT: Finally able to start increasing the run mileage and start proper swim sessions
    December:
    RUN MILES: 101
    SWIM KM: 21
    BIKE KM: 0
    RACES: 3
    COMMENT: Good race in the JB 5k (20:14) Used the 5k in Templemore as a tempo run (22:22) and good race in Newport 10k (43:26). No injury worries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Could you not have fitted some more in? !!!!!!! I'm exhausted reading that, send me some of your discipline and energy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Could you not have fitted some more in? !!!!!!! I'm exhausted reading that, send me some of your discipline and energy!
    +1, I'll have me some of that versatility too :D Hey CM, best of luck in the TB, give it sox and hope it rains so there's no ice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You have come back strong from your injury, seriously impressive stuff considering how hectic your life is outside of your training. Shows dedication & hard work pay off, or is it purple snacks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Well done on a great year k. What's that saying again, 'if you want something done, ask a busy person'. Work ethic is top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Happy new year K!

Wednesday:

Swim: 1800m

200 easy
    4*50 k with board (rest at each wall if needed)
    3*100 off 2:30 (or whatever your slow pace is)
    In on 2:54, 2:56, 2:58
    1 min rest
    3*100 off 2:25 (slow pace minus 5 seconds)
    In on 2:48, 2:50, 2:52
    1 min rest
    3*100 off 2:20 (slow pace minus 10 seconds; this pace should feel "steady")
    In on 2:42, 2:40, 2:39
    1 min rest
    3*100 off 2:15 (slow pace minus 15 seconds; this pace should feel "fast")
    In on 2:29, 2:28*, 2:36
    1 min rest
    2 x 50 sailboat
    2 x 50 easy

This was a good swim :D Hadn't been in the pool for 7 days and I did notice I was a bit rusty for the first few lenghts. Was sort of dreading the 100's but thankfully I had Claire to pace off. 2:28 is a 10 sec PB on the 100m TT I did 9 days ago => better pacing 34, 38, 38, 38. Was knackered when I was finished. Probably not the best swim session to do the day before a 5k race but the stupid pool is only open at crappy hours this week.

Thursday:

Tom Brennan 5k - 21:02

Weather: Bit wet and very windy
    Summary: Happy with my race but not my time

Got the train up and walking from Heuston to the start I knew I was going the running gods were not smiling on me today. The wind was ferocious at times.
    Bumped into racheljev on my way back from a 1.5m warm up with strides and had a quick chat before I lined up. Thought I was lined up in a good place about 6/7 rows back. Didn't want to start too near the front in case I bolted out but when the gun went there was a couple of people in front of me who were hardly moving so had to sidestep around them. Was in a nice position then.
    Along Furze Rd was into a strong headwind so I just concentrated on my breathing and my stride. I was running with a few people but there was no respite from the wind. As soon as we turned onto Ordnance Survey Rd it was like someone had flicked a switch and turned the wind off. Checked my watch going past the 1K mark 4:07 Bit slower than I wanted but it was ok. I was running with a guy in a Lord Mayor's t-shirt and he was breathing really heavily. I would have liked to have just changed gears and moved on from him but alas I was unable to. Didn't really like the wind on Chesterfield Av either. It was blowing across and although it was no way as bad as Furze Rd it was still taking it's toll. First mile 6:35

Sub 20 was gone but I thought I might be able to get a Tom Brennan PB by running sub 20:30. Went past a Liffey Valley woman down Chesterfield who was getting lots of shout outs. Past the second k in 8:07 so had the pace back where I wanted it ..... until I turned back onto Furze Rd. Boy was it tough along here. I tried to keep the effort up and tried to focus on the runners around me. Everyone was a bit strung out now but there was a small woman in a singlet about 15m in front of me and she became my target. Towards the end of Furze Rd I was making ground on her and I drew up alongside her as I cut onto her inside around the corner onto OS rd. We ran together for a good bit. She'd push the pace a bit and I'd have to work to keep with her and then I'd push on and she'd have to work a bit. She dropped back off me towards the top of OS road and now I was starting to make ground on a group of 3 guys ahead. One in a yellow tee, one in a blue tee and one with a grey jacket on.

Grey jacket guy was about 10m ahead of me but didn't seem to be working terribly hard and looked like he was more out for a tempo run. He was a bit annoying actually because as soon as I'd get to within a couple of metres of him he'd just up the pace slightly and I could have used someone to work with along here. We had to move to the outside row of cones just before the turn to the finish and I passed the guy in the yellow shirt here. Tried to sprint as best I could but the wind made it difficult. Was a bit surprised when I saw the time because I hadn't been looking at my watch since the 2k mark and I thought I'd run a pretty good race :(

Mile splits: 6:35, 6:53, 6:44 (6:19)

My watch time is a couple of secs faster than my chip time. Other than the wind I've no excuses really. Thought I was in good form but it just wasn't there today. Nice to meet a few boardsies afterwards and Claire and Dad did it as well and they really enjoyed it :D Must put my head down now and do some proper training for a few weeks :D

Happy New Year everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good time on a day like this K - well done & HNY to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

That's a fair time for the day that was in it K, well done. Sounds like you raced it too. My clubmate did it too and her time was nearly a minute down on her JB time a few weeks ago. I was out for a few easy miles tonight and did not like that wind when it was blowing full force. As Marty said, onwards and upwards :)
    Oh and Ciara Mageean (2nd JB, 1st TB) had a much slower race today too so what's good for the goose... ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I went out for 8 x 1k tonight...had to turn it into an easy run as it was fruitless. Knew I should have switched it around with Sat and got my long run done!

Well done today...grand lovely day for it

I went out for 8 x 1k tonight...had to turn it into an easy run as it was fruitless. Knew I should have switched it around with Sat and got my long run done!

Well done today...grand lovely day for it
    Thanks RQ Nice to see you again and to meet your buddies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great running on a tough day CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Kate Happy New Year!

Now that you frequent the pool will you be joining our SBR Challenge this year? RC thinks she will be top hoochie at a canter but you could show her :) Plus a way for us TriHarders to keep tabs on Sean each other to ensure those bike miles are going in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Hey Kate Happy New Year!

Now that you frequent the pool will you be joining our SBR Challenge this year? RC thinks she will be top hoochie at a canter but you could show her :) Plus a way for us TriHarders to keep tabs on Sean each other to ensure those bike miles are going in ;)

Away to your darkside shotgunmcos, and don't be tryin' do dilute the purists' with your splish splash pedal around the block nonsense :D:D

PS where would 'a friend' get info on a reasonable entry level triharder bike :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    That's a fair time for the day that was in it K, well done. Sounds like you raced it too. My clubmate did it too and her time was nearly a minute down on her JB time a few weeks ago. I was out for a few easy miles tonight and did not like that wind when it was blowing full force. As Marty said, onwards and upwards :)
    Oh and Ciara Mageean (2nd JB, 1st TB) had a much slower race today too so what's good for the goose... ;)

..... is good for the ....... moose ?? :D
    Hey Kate Happy New Year!

Many happy returns Mike

Is RC the same person as RQ? I'm not sure I like those challenges because I would have to win and winning would take a lot of effort :eek:

but for the good of the team I'll do it :D
    martyboy48 wrote: »
    Away to your darkside shotgunmcos, and don't be tryin' do dilute the purists' with your splish splash pedal around the block nonsense :D:D

PS where would 'a friend' get info on a reasonable entry level triharder bike :)

Your 'friend' could do worse than take a trip out to MBW in Moycullen. I got my bike there.

I hope your wrist is not too swollen today. Arnica cream from the chemist is good for bruising :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yep I meant RQ, she is aiming for hoochie status over on the dark side (not the "Go Dark! side ;))

You should probably give that a miss K - RQ would surely beat you... :P

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    You should probably give that a miss K - RQ would surely beat you... :P

Oi! Stop stirring :mad: You've already got me a black mark over there!

• Advertisement

Friday:

Swim: 1700m in 1hr 7min

200 easy
    4*50 k with board
    4*50 sw
    4*50 fingertip
    4*50 sw
    4*50 pb
    4*50 sw
    4*50 armpit tap
    4*50 sw 2 x 50 sw
    200 swim down

Only had a small window to get this done after work because the pool was shutting at 5. At 4:50 one of the lifeguards politely asked me to move my carcass out of the water so I didn't get the last 300 done :(

Run: 3.1m @ 10:14

Did this when I got home from swimming. It was a beautiful evening for a run. Not too cold and not too dark. I brought a torch with me but mostly I kept it turned off and just ran by the light of the moon. Loved it :D

Oi! Stop stirring :mad: You've already got me a black mark over there!

Haha - as if. You're everyone's favourite TDAR-hoochie-who-hasn't-yet-accepted-she's-more-TDAR-than-AR...I can't change that...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That swim technique workshop I mentioned was on today (just spotted it) will be another one in April I'll keep an eye out for it for you if you're interested. :)

That swim technique workshop I mentioned was on today (just spotted it) will be another one in April I'll keep an eye out for it for you if you're interested. :)

Thanks RQ. That'd be great :D

Saturday:

6.7m @ 8:27

Nothing special. Probably should have gone a shade slower but I was feeling good :D

Sunday:

8.3m @ 7:54

(8:29, 8:11, 8:17, 7:52, 8:04, 7:37, 7:42, 7:28, 6:27)

8 steady miles and the last bit @ 5k pace. Had planned do to easy miles but Dad came with me on the bike and that always makes me go a bit faster. In fairness it's an easy enough route so it didn't take too much out of me. Quickened up for the last bit.

P.M 2.3m @ 12:07

Dad started a modified version of a C25k plan that I did up for him today so I went along for a bit of active recovery :D

Monday:

A.M: Run: 3.4m @ 10:14

I love my recovery runs :D

P.M: Swim: 2400m in 1hr 37

Week 9 Day 1
    200 easy
    4*50 fingertip
    4*50 pb
    4*50 pb & fist - this felt awkward at first and I wanted to kick my legs more even with the pb
    4*50 fist
    100m MAX 2:32 no pacer tonight so splits weren't as good 34,38,41,39 but I felt much more controlled and there was no swallowing water or hyperventilating :D
    4*50 fingertip
    4*50 pb
    100m MAX 2:37 I was getting a bit tired so I did this before the last 2 drills.
    4*50 pb & fist
    4*50 fist 2*50 fist, 50 sailboat and I changed this a bit
    200 swim down

My hair has been having serious issues with the pool. If I don't smother it in conditioner as soon as I leave the water it gets like sandpaper and then if I forget to brush it, it becomes like a front door mat. So on Saturday it was really annoying me and there was a scissors conveniently placed by the bathroom mirror and it is now 15cm shorter though not necessarily the whole way round ;)

For feck sake 1 hour 40 min in the pool, you will have a head like Michelle Smith. Get Aussie Miracle 3 minute miracle conditioner, use their shampoo as well, leave the conditioner as long as possible and at least once a week leave it in for a few hours, get the leave in conditioning spray too! It's great stuff!

Oh and I'm not passing any comment on cutting your own hair, we both know that's wrong!

For feck sake 1 hour 40 min in the pool, you will have a head like Michelle Smith. Get Aussie Miracle 3 minute miracle conditioner, use their shampoo as well, leave the conditioner as long as possible and at least once a week leave it in for a few hours, get the leave in conditioning spray too! It's great stuff!

It's too late for that now Sam .... intensive conditioning is no longer required :D
    Oh and I'm not passing any comment on cutting your own hair, we both know that's wrong!

Ya but if you tie it up no one is any the wiser ;)

Ya wouldn't have those problems if ya stuck to the running :D

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Ya wouldn't have those problems if ya stuck to the running :D

s4nk2b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and cycling gives you helmet hair...

RayCun wrote: »
    and cycling gives you helmet hair...

Is that why you run into work? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you have to have hair to worry about these things :(
    ;)

Tuesday:

A.M: 2.5m @ 11:47

Day 2 of the C25K plan!

P.M: 5.1m @ 9:10 incl 6 x 100m strides

I'm a bit tired today. RHR was 42 this morning. Haven't checked it in a while. I'm just going to swim tomorrow :D

RayCun wrote: »
    you have to have hair to worry about these things :(
    ;)

Ah so there are advantages to being follicularly challenged :D

Wednesday:

Swim: 2200m

200 easy
    4*100 off 2:40 (easy pace)
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:30 (moderate pace)
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:20 (steady pace)
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:10 (fast pace, but not flat out)
    1 min rest
    2 x 50 sailboat
    100 easy

I did these off effort because I forgot to bring my watch but I tried to increase the pace slightly for each set and it felt about right. Happily knackered now biggrin.png There was a girl in the lane next to me booting along and I'd say for every length I did with the kickboard, she'd did 4 or 5 :o

Wednesday:

Swim: 2200m

200 easy
    4*100 off 2:40 (easy pace)
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:30 (moderate pace)
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:20 (steady pace)
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:10 (fast pace, but not flat out)
    1 min rest
    2 x 50 sailboat
    100 easy

I did these off effort because I forgot to bring my watch but I tried to increase the pace slightly for each set and it felt about right. Happily knackered now biggrin.png There was a girl in the lane next to me booting along and I'd say for every length I did with the kickboard, she'd did 4 or 5 :o
    She is probably a one trick pony though, and you my dear are most certainly not!

She is probably a one trick pony though, and you my dear are most certainly not!

I just had to search for pony swim :D

• Advertisement

I googled that ^^^ Every July they herd the ponies from one island to the other. How much fun would it be if you were one of the cowboys??? :D

Thursday:

A.M: 7m @ 8:30

Couple of easy miles, couple of steady miles, 8 x 15 sec hill sprints and a couple more steady miles. I was swim tired but not run tired :D

P.M: 2.6m @ 11:40

Friday:

Swim: 3200m

200 easy
    4 x 50 kick
    6 x 400* alt sw and pb (last one I did 600 by mistake)
    200 easy

Good session. Felt strong all the way :D

Friday:

Swim: 3200m

200 easy
    4 x 50 kick
    6 x 400* alt sw and pb (last one I did 600 by mistake)
    200 easy

Good session. Felt strong all the way :D

Is it me or are these swims getting longer every session?

Would you believe I was thinking a similar thing myself last Sunday :D

Close to iron distance triathlon swims there, I notice.

Just saying'...

• Advertisement

Just saying'...

Iron distance!!! Really!!!

That bloody Kurt Godel ...

Just saying'...

It would nt surprise me if she rocks up someday with a report on some crazy event like that!

It would nt surprise me if she rocks up someday with a report on some crazy event like that!

Hahaha :D

Maybe I need a new log title. Something like "Expect the unexpected" Haha :D

Which of us would be shocked? Not I...

Hahaha :D

Maybe I need a new log title. Something like "Expect the unexpected" Haha :D

Maybe pop it in here - http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1552 ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement