Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Maybe pop it in here - http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1552 ;)

Oi, Poacher, she's a runner just going through a phase :D

Sort out your calves and concentrate on rosslare and don't be poaching our athletes :D:D

I think we lost her though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

martyboy48 wrote: »

Sort out your calves and concentrate on rosslare and don't be poaching our athletes :D:D

She was never really a runner...she was just learning to multitask....

Say hello if you see me in Rosslare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

martyboy48 wrote: »

Well said Marty , well said! We will have to circle the wagons...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Saturday:

#TeamTriharder first training day of the new year - Mountain bike: Ballyhoura white loop

I went past my turn off on the motorway so I was later than I was supposed to be. On the way into Ardpatrick I drove past Mike on his bike. Quick turn around and I had to boot it back up the road in the van to catch up with him. Luckily he was delayed by a tractor but by the time I'd got on my bike he was gone again. Finally caught up with him in the car park at the start of the trails. I was a bit concerned about how much bike fitness I'd lost because I was well out of breath when I got to the car park until Mike pointed out that I was on the big ring. D'oh. Down to the granny gear with me and all was right in the world :D

I love Ballyhoura. I love the trees and the mountains and the freshness of the air and all the wonderful memories I have of being up there with Mum and Dad when we were kids. The bike trails weren't there then but they're really well designed in that they don't impinge on what was already there. You climb for a bit then there's a little downhill reprieve then you climb some more and that's repeated over and over. Just looking at the garmin profile, I'd say we must have climbed for over 10 miles in total, up to a height of 1360ft. It's the terrain that makes it really challenging though. The rocks big and small, going up over them and coming down them, the turns, the uphill climbs over loose scree and there's nothing in the world like trying to keep up with Mike around Ballyhoura, to make my quads burn :D

All in all a very good day and a good training session with about 40km done in the 4hrs we were up there. Lots of calories burned too so I can enjoy my apple pie and custard guilt free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey CM ya know I was talking to a guy recently who completed an IM last year...when he described the type of people he knows who do these crazy things you came to mind, just sayin...:pac: Bet that apple pie went down well :D

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey CM ya know I was talking to a guy recently who completed an IM last year...when he described the type of people he knows who do these crazy things you came to mind, just sayin...:pac: Bet that apple pie went down well :D

Ah well that's common mistake. Confusing me with other crazy people :D The apple pie was divine :D

Sunday:

Run 1: 10m @ 7:59

I wasn't sure how tired I'd be today so I had just 2 goals for this run. One was to get the 10m done and the other was to blast the last mile. I was a bit surprised at how sprightly my legs were and I had to keep telling myself to slow it down a bit. There was another voice though, whispering insidiously that my breathing was good, my legs felt good and I should just go with the flow. Sometimes I listened to one, sometimes the other and sometimes I just let the wind do it's thing. I picked up the pace to a hard effort for the last mile and I'm very happy with the splits (8:34, 8:20, 8:25, 8:26, 8:07, 7:54, 7:52, 7:35, 8:08, 6:35)

Run 2: 2.8m @ 11:11

Weekly totals:
    Run - 33.4m
    Swim - 7.8k
    Bike - 40k

Monday:

Swim: 2750m

200 easy
    4 x 50 kick
    100 in 2:43
    200 in 5:30
    400 in 11:36
    600 in 18:27
    850 in 21:37
    200 easy

My pacing was a bit off. I need to concentrate more! My right upper arm was starting to ache a bit after the 600 so I cheated and used the pull bouy for the 800. But then I miscounted and did an extra couple of lengths so it all balances out in the end :D

I decided not to run today because my legs didn't feel fully recovered from yesterday. They felt rejuvenated after the swim though. I think just being in the water for an hour an a half does the world of good for my muscles :D

Tuesday:

Run 1: 7.2m @ 9:21

It was a lovely morning - cold crisp air and the sun shining brightly. Finished with 6 x 120m strides

Run 2: 2.5m @ 10:45

It was not a lovely evening - an icy wind was beating snow and hail into our faces until we got to the turnaround point but there was a lovely covering of snow on the road that acted like a cushion.

My legs were reminding me that I need to keep on top of the strengthening work so I did 4 x 20 clams each side, some hip flexors stretches and some exercises from the 30 day challenge. Then I had a few minutes after dinner so I did some core stuff courtesy of Tom Joad (thanks TJ ..... no really :D)

You did nt get much done today so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I did rob them from Ecoli/ Krusty originally in the interests of full disclosure :D

Wednesday:

Swim: 1250m

200 easy
    50 breathe on (2-8-2)
    3 x 200 pb 200pb 100pb 100k

Bit of a disaster today. I wasn't swimming very well and I didn't do very well with the breathing set. I think I hurt my arm swimming last Friday. It was a bit sore at the end of Monday's swim and it got progressively worse today as the swim went on. I couldn't finish the pb set but it was fine when I was kicking.

We were at the pool at 7:30 and the roads weren't too bad but had a bit of an incident coming home because they had got fairly slipply. There's a railway bridge about 2 miles from home that you drive up over but you have to yield before you turn and go up it. So after I had stopped and gone on again, I couldn't get any traction with the tyres and I got stuck in the middle of the hill. Then I started rolling backwards. Then I had no control over the steering. Then I ended up in the ditch! Luckily this all happened in slow motion and there was no oncoming traffic! Had to get Claire to push me back out of the ditch cause it wouldn't reverse. I decided then to go a different road but it's not one I've ever been on and I wasn't too sure exactly where it would take us. Another incident here going under a bridge this time. It was dark and flooded and Claire thought we were going to get stuck in the middle of the flood but luckily we were in the van and not the car and it was ok. We came up to another bridge then and it was only after I'd turned up over it that I realised we'd just gone the wrong way over the same bloody bridge we got stuck on. Anyway I got Claire home eventually and in plenty of time for her flight back to Melbourne :(

God that sounds so stressful! Glad you got home safely.

Anyway I got Claire home eventually and in time for her flight back to Melbourne :(

Boo.

But at least there she won't have to push vans out of ditches in the snow. So every cloud... :P

SamforMayo wrote: »
    God that sounds so stressful! Glad you got home safely.

Thanks Sam. It was interesting anyway :D
    Boo.

But at least there she won't have to push vans out of ditches in the snow. So every cloud... :P

Hey she had an action packed holiday .... running, swimming, cycling, galloping horses through mud and snow, van pushing/ice skating. It was like a free boot camp for her :D

Thursday am:

2.78m @ 8:34

6 x 1min hills @ 6:35, 6:35, 6:46, 6:47, 7:12, 7:13

2.03m @ 8:58

I had loads of excuses not to do hills today but I decided to just suck it up and get them done. Stupid little bastid of a terrier bit me as I was running past on my warm up. Lucky for him I couldn't catch him or I'd have wrung his neck for him. I'm going to have to arm myself with a branch next time I go that way. The hills were tough. I started in the middle of the hill and after about 50m you round the corner and the wind hits you right before you meet the steepest part of the hill. It didn't seem too bad at first but for the later reps it was a real pain and on the 5th one, I was nearly brought to a standstill. Happy enough with the paces given the wind and I know the effort was right because my stomach was turning somersaults at the finish :D

Thurs pm:

2.7m @ 11:20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I know the effort was right because my stomach was turning somersaults at the finish :D

Always a good sign!

Friday:

5.1m @ 8:35

This was slippy. Probably a bit fast as well.

Saturday:

Run 1: 12m @ 8:21

Felt good on this. Had to keep telling myself to slow it down. I was going to do a faster last mile but decided to play safe and just get the distance done. Furthest I've run since last May.

Run 2: 3m @ 11:09

Complete rest day tomorrow (almost :D)

Weekly totals:
    Run - 39.1m
    Swim - 4k
    Core - 4/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Flying on that 12 miler! The double days seem to be going well too (what's the purpose, been exceeding your purple snack limit? ;) ) Looks like all your patience is paying off.

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Flying on that 12 miler! The double days seem to be going well too (what's the purpose, been exceeding your purple snack limit? ;) ) Looks like all your patience is paying off.

Thanks. Haven't been tucking into the purple snacks of late. This week has been a dairy milk/whole nut/ apple pie week with a generous sprinking of stardust chews :D

The double days are the days I run with my dad. He's on a sort of c25k plan. He can't hear the watch beeping so I run with him. I tell him when to run and when to walk and I provide lots of motivation!! I'm usually properly knackered by the time we do it though so I can hardly keep up with him on the run sections but it's fun and I like it and dad is liking it too :D

That's really kind of you to knacker yourself so he doesn't feel too snail like. Sounds like he appreciates your daughterly devotion :D

Monday:

Swim: 1450m

200m easy
    1k in 31:47
    200m kick
    50m easy

Thanks to Kurt Godel, I've gone from being barely able to swim 50m without stopping to swimming 1k without stopping :D The only bother I had was from my right arm. It got a bit niggly after halfway but when I rotated my body more in the water it wasn't as bad and I was able to keep going. I didn't do the drills though and I shortened the cool down but I did do 10 minutes aquajogging to make up for it! I think I'll keep my swims to around the hour mark until my arm stops troubling me.

Run: 3.2m @ 10:55

It was dark and cold when we did this and the roads were a bit slippy but we got it done and it means I have an easier day tomorrow :D

Tuesday:

7.2m @ 8:45 with 10 x 50m sprints

In truth, I only ran in order to get my chocolate fix at the local shop come post office. I ran there first because it closes at 6 and then I needed to run a few more miles in order to swing the calorie balance in my favour. I had the Mars bar, which was my poison of choice in my waist belt and interestingly it was cold enough out that my body heat didn't even warm the chocolate. It wasn't ideal weather for running as the freezing fog and the glare from my head lamo made it difficult to see but it was a nice temperature and I enjoyed it. I had the nicest steak when I got home. Fresh from the kill line in Ballyjamesduff. Well not really as it was vacuum packed but it was Nom Nom and then I made some scones so now I don't even feel like the Mars bar. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find it a good home tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Tuesday:

I had the nicest steak when I got home. Fresh from the kill line in Ballyjamesduff.

I worked in that factory

For 2 hours - I just left at tea break and never came back. Good times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You've some discipline Dora, if that was me there's no way in hell that mars bar would have made it home intact :)

TbL

Ps. Feck ya, now I've a Mars bar craving!

• Advertisement

You've some discipline Dora, if that was me there's no way in hell that mars bar would have made it home intact :)

TbL

Ps. Feck ya, now I've a Mars bar craving!
    Ha I'm not disciplined at all. Why do you think I had to go to the shop in the first place :D

Hope your craving didn't get the better of you. Or if it did I hope you enjoyed it with a nice cup of tea :D

Wednesday:

A.M: 8m various

P.M: 3.36m @ 11:29

I had a little session planned for this morning (4 x 800m + 4 x 200m) that I wanted to do yesterday but I didn't have time. The first 800 was ok pace wise but the roads were quite slippy and I was finding at times that I was losing my grip. I decided to detour into the forestry/bog and I did the second and third rep there. The surface wasn't a whole heap better and I wasn't get the spring you get from running on the road but I was happy enough with the pace. On the fourth one I was running out of track so I decided to veer off onto another road. I didn't see the sheet of ice on the bend and ended up taking a tumble. Luckily I'm well used to finding myself on the ground and I was none the worse. The gloves protected my hands but my leg got a bit of a freezer burn because I only had shorts on. Made my way back to the road post haste and finished out the session there!

Aim for the 800's was 3.15. Didn't hit that on any of them but I think with a better surface I would have done better. I tore off on the last one and although I didn't suffer too badly it emphasised to me that I need to work on my pacing!

Splits: 3:18, 3:17, 3:14, 3:08 (about 2min rec)

40sec was the time I had in my head that I should be hitting for the 200's. Some kind farmer had conveniently nailed a large white plastic board to a telegraph pole which read "Hunting is prohibited on this land" and as it kind of stood out, I used that as my finish line and walked 200m back to my start line (a bush).

Splits: 41, 42, 40, 40 (walk back rec)

Evening run was with Dad :D

Shorts you say???!! :eek: In this weather?? You'll catch your death child :D Nice session :)

Thursday:

Run: 3.6m @ 8:48

Just a handy one to keep the legs ticking over. I was going to do some strides but after going up the 'hill rep' hill near the end of my run, my legs were feeling a bit dead, so I left it.

Swim: 1800m

200m warmup
    4*50 kick 20 sec rest
    Main set: Drills- repeat 4 times
    {50 ripple
    50 shoulder tap
    50 sailboat (use a high elbow)
    50 pull
    50 fist
    50 swim
    30 sec rest}
    8*50 as 25 MAX effort, 25 easy, 15 sec rest 200 pb
    200 swim down

Really enjoyed this swim. The technique sessions are my favourite because I find them very relaxing. I didn't do the faster sets because I'm still minding my arm and I think that trying to go faster was how I injured it in the first place. It was a tiny bit noticeable after the warm up but good during the drills. Legs feel nice and loose now too :D

Friday:

2.3m @ 12:14

Short one today because Dad's right calf muscle is a bit sore. He hasn't been doing the stretches I gave him. Tut tut. Project snot control is in full flow. It's a five point plan to combat upper respiratory tract infections in my racehorses
    *Vaccination
    *Antibiotics
    *Reduced stress
    *Rest, rest, rest
    *Chuck them out in the field

• Advertisement

Friday:

2.3m @ 12:14

Short one today because Dad's right calf muscle is a bit sore. He hasn't been doing the stretches I gave him. Tut tut. Project snot control is in full flow. It's a five point plan to combat upper respiratory tract infections in my racehorses
    *Vaccination
    *Antibiotics
    *Reduced stress
    *Rest, rest, rest
    *Chuck them out in the field
    I recognise that plan. Points 1,2 and 5 apply to the kids. Points 3 & 4 apply to me :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I recognise that plan. Points 1,2 and 5 apply to the kids. Points 3 & 4 apply to me :D

Haha very good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Short one today because Dad's right calf muscle is a bit sore. He hasn't been doing the stretches I gave him. Tut tut.

A running injury already, your poor Dad! Send him our sympathies ...

Getting given out to already, your poor Dad! Send him our sympathies ...

FYP ;)

Saturday:

9m progression (8:47, 8:39, 8:33, 8:24, 7:59, 7:38, 7:14, 6:57, 6:39) + 3.4m @ 8:30

Delighted with myself. It's a long time since I felt this strong on a run :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good stuff outta you, thats a nice run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Saturday:

9m progression (8:47, 8:39, 8:33, 8:24, 7:59, 7:38, 7:14, 6:57, 6:39) + 3m @ 8:30

Delighted with myself. It's a long time since I felt this strong on a run :D

lovely (bit jealous reading that list of paces ....)

tang1 wrote: »
    Good stuff outta you, thats a nice run.
    lovely (bit jealous reading that list of paces ....)

Thanks guys :D I put it down to the 3 mars bars I had last night :D

Nice session Dora,

All that splashing around must be standing to you :)

TbL

Nice session Dora,

All that splashing around must be standing to you :)

TbL

Thanks Popeye :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Nice session there K. Is a spring marathon definitely off the cards? Would Cork in June be an option or would recovery eat into Beast training?

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Nice session there K. Is a spring marathon definitely off the cards? Would Cork in June be an option or would recovery eat into Beast training?

Thanks Joe :D I'll answer your question with a question ...... do you think I can run sub 3:15 in Cork?

Thanks Joe :D I'll answer your question with a question ...... do you think I can run sub 3:15 in Cork?

That's not even the question. The answer to that is certainly yes. The question is whether you could do it without aggravating your hip.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Absolutely with an injury free cycle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Great session K especially last couple of miles. Must be the glucose ;-)

That's not even the question. The answer to that is certainly yes. The question is whether you could do it without aggravating your hip.
    Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Absolutely with an injury free cycle :D

Well you'd both make fine diplomats :D

I'd need to be running 7:20 comfortably to get that time and I've not even run a HM at that pace yet. So I'll hold off a while yet. Thanks for your faith in me though :D

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Great session K especially last couple of miles. Must be the glucose ;-)

Thanks Pete. Glucose rocks :D

It's not about diplomacy - you have the talent, the discipline and the work ethic needed to do it. You just need a clear run and to make a decision yourself that it's your main thing. Until you do, the main thing....etc.

It's not about diplomacy - you have the talent, the discipline and the work ethic needed to do it. You just need a clear run and to make a decision yourself that it's your main thing. Until you do, the main thing....etc.

Thanks. Very kind. I'll keep it in mind. Plans are fluid at the moment but if I was to do a marathon in the near future, it would most likely be in Portumna .....

5cmumu.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks. Very kind. I'll keep it in mind. Plans are fluid at the moment but if I was to do a marathon in the near future, it would most likely be in Portumna .....

5cmumu.jpg

Hard to do a fast one in Portumna K, gets fairly congested.

TbL

Advertisement