Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thursday:

Swim: 1700m

400m warm up alternating fc and backstroke
    150m Back flutter
    150m Dolphin kick on back
    150m Front Flutter 1 hand on board
    150m Front Flutter 2 hands on board
    150m Side Flutter
    150m Side Flutter alternating sides
    400m choice warm-down - 200 pb + 200 backstroke

See this video for details:

Very happy with this :D I've got the hang of the drills now. Only one near drowning episode today when I was on the first 25 of the side flutter. I wasn't rotated enough onto my side and I swallowed a heap of water and couldn't breathe. Didn't make that mistake again ;)

34hb68x.jpg

These are my helpers. They're twins but the mother would only feed the bigger one, the ram, because she hadn't much milk. The ewe gets fed with a bottle. They like to wander around. Sometimes they chase the hen and sometimes they follow me round the stables. The ram tries to continuously head butt my legs like they're some kind of a punch bag :rolleyes:

Run: 2.09m @ 13:07

The c25ker is back!

Foot is a bit worse since the run

The mind is strong but the body is weak

No race on Sunday :(:(

May eat my body weight in chocolate instead ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear that Kate, you know its the smart thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ouch, really sorry to hear that. Not good. It takes a different sort of strength to be sensible. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Feic. Glad you're taking the sensible approach though.

Saturday:

Run: 2.22m @ 12:20

Foot is 95% better walking, 90% when I run. To remove myself from the path of temptation I've organised with a friend to go hiking up the Slieve Blooms tomorrow ;)

Swim: 3300m

200 alternate fc and backstroke
    100 Front Flutter 2 hands on board
    100 Front Flutter 1 hand on board
    200 sw
    400 pb
    550 sw .... miscounted doh :(
    600 pb
    400 sw
    400 pb
    350 backstroke .... miscounted doh :(

With the pb I was alternating breathing on 3 and 5 strokes and practising the stroke drlls (ripple, armpit, thigh tap). Good session. I enjoyed it :D

Sunday:

Hiking: Glenbarrow way

Hooked up with the Slieve Bloom walkers for this. Really nice crowd of about 35 people out today. Bumped into a girl I used to work with which was a bit random. We hiked from Glenbarrow car park to the Ridge of Capard and back around by the waterfall. It was easy enough and the pace was a bit pedestrian but it was a lovely walk and I had my backpack reasonably weighted down to get some practice. I could have done with my gloves and another layer of clothes though as we were in the woods for a lot of the time and it was a bit chilly. Unfortunately it was very misty today so we missed out on some of the more spectacular views and the photo I took of the waterfall keeps uploading sideways so here's one I borrowed from the web

27xgndh.jpg

Run: 2.23m @ 8:58

Just a little one to suss out the lay of the land. Was going to do more but I think I'm getting sense in my old age :D Foot ~ 95%. Pretty confident I'll be training next week!

Week totals:
    Run: 6.54m
    Swim: 9.55k
    Core: 3/7
    2 min plank: 7/7
    Hiking: ~10k in 3.5hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

So how come you don't include planks as core? :confused: I do a 2 min plank during each core session - 3 per week (on a good week) :o - but looks like you do separate core sessions and daily planks on top of that? That's devotion! Hang on, why am I not surprised :P Class pic btw

Runchick wrote: »
    So how come you don't include planks as core? :confused: I do a 2 min plank during each core session - 3 per week (on a good week) :o - but looks like you do separate core sessions and daily planks on top of that? That's devotion! Hang on, why am I not surprised :P Class pic btw

It's just a little game I'm playing with myself. It's pretty easy to make myself do a plank everyday. I started 2 weeks ago and I feel stronger doing them now. I'll add a little bit on every week.
    Core sessions are anything over 30 minutes and they include strength work as well but also exercises to target my weaker points. If I get at least 3 of them done per week, I'm happy :D

• Advertisement

It's just a little game I'm playing with myself. It's pretty easy to make myself do a plank everyday. I started 2 weeks ago and I feel stronger doing them now. I'll add a little bit on every week.
    Core sessions are anything over 30 minutes and they include strength work as well but also exercises to target my weaker points. If I get at least 3 of them done per week, I'm happy :D

You're some woman, its taken me months to hold for 2 mins comfortably! You must have abs of steel :)

You're some woman, its taken me months to hold for 2 mins comfortably! You must have abs of steel :)
    Ya well it's from being pulled and dragged along by horses all my life ;)

You're flying along at the moment. Nice 5k session there during the week. It must feel great to be back :)

Ya well it's from being pulled and dragged along by horses all my life ;)

You're flying along at the moment. Nice 5k session there during the week. It must feel great to be back :)

Yeah great to be back thanks, have a serious appetite now back training though! I bet you are even worse with all the time in the pool, I just have to look at a swimming pool to get hungry :p

Yeah great to be back thanks, have a serious appetite now back training though! I bet you are even worse with all the time in the pool, I just have to look at a swimming pool to get hungry :p

Stop the amount of food I eat is ridiculous. I'd say I could singlehandedly keep the local supermarket in business :D

Monday:

Swim: 2700m
    200 backstroke/fc
    8*25 (breath every 3 strokes first 25, breath every 5 next 25, and repeat. Full rest/recovery for as long as you want at each wall. Do these very slow, very controlled, focus on exhaling smoothly and constantly)
    4*100 as (25m pb, 25m kick (use your pb as a board), 25m pb, 25m kick, 15 sec rest)
    Main set:
    50 fingertip
    50 fist
    50 pb
    50 armpit tap
    50 sw
    ^Repeat 6 times, concentrating on good form rather than speed.
    300 backstroke
    100 pb

This was good. Had the lane to myself most of the time. Tried to concentrate on my catch and pull all the time. This is what I was thinking *Imagine you are lying face down in snow, and trying to pull yourself forward- you arm digs into the snow and propels you onwards* It felt right anyway. Probably didn't do the 8 x 25 as slowly as I should have. After every 25 breathe on 5 I was slightly out of breath. I'm better when I do it with the pb. The fist drill was the most difficult tonight. Probably cause I haven't done it in a while. I just seemed to have to work quite hard doing it.

Run: 2.48m @ 12:19

Ran with Dad when I got home. Foot was a bit sore this morning but the swim really helped and it was about 98% better doing this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Main set:
    50 fingertip
    50 fist
    50 pb
    50 armpit tap
    50 sw
    300 backstroke
    100 pb

This was good.

Have I wandered into some weird S&M or fetish log Dora :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Main set:
    50 fingertip
    50 fist
    50 pb
    50 armpit tap
    50 sw
    300 backstroke
    100 pb

This was good.

Have I wandered into some weird S&M or fetish log Dora :)

TbL

Yes darling .... just let your imagination run wild xx

Yes darling .... just let your imagination run wild xx

Ah Jezus, I'm an auld lad, I'm having palpitations, where are me meds :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

where are me meds :)

TbL

Careful now - not the blue ones ;)

Tuesday:

Interval session:

I know there are people will think 'feck sake you can't even run easy miles what are you doing a session for' but there's a 5k race on Saturday that I might do so I wanted to see how my foot would hold up to faster stuff and to see how much fitness I'd lost. I picked an easy session anyway 1/2/3/2/1 min on/off. I was aiming to run the recoveries at a good clip so I had to make sure the 'on' stuff was nice and controlled. Happy out with the results :D

10min w/u @ 8:57

|1 on|1off|2 on|2 off|3 on|3 off|2 on|2 off|1 on|1 off
    Pace|6:31|9:18|6:58|8:24|6:30|8:06|6:29|7:27|6:09|7:26

11min c/d @ 8:02

Foot ~ 98% still getting the odd twinge but didn't get any worse and no discomfort when I was finished

Lungs: Ok. Run fitness has taken a bit of a dip but that's to be expected

Legs: Little heavy/dead at times during the faster sections. Swim and run were done late yesterday so probably not fully recovered from that

Swim: 2900m

200 warm up
    6*50 kick (without the board if you can)
    4*400pb, 20s rest, all done steady pace, think about good entry, catch, pull, exit.
    400 as 8 * 25 backstroke, 25 fc hard effort
    400 pb

Kicks were done as 100 dolphin kick + 100 side flutter + 100 attempting to do front flutter without the board but failing and switching to side flutter alternating sides :D

Wednesday:

2.73m @ 11:50

Felt a bit faint and had to walk the last bit. Foot fine

Thursday:

Run: 7m @ 8:51

Bit tired for the first couple of miles. I imagine this will be my longest run for the week. Have been slacking on the core side of things but planks are going well - up to 3min now

Swim: 2700m

200 fc/backstroke
    6*50 kick (without the board if you can)
    100 dolphin, 100 side flutter, 100 front flutter w pb
    200pb
    2*100sw, 15s rest
    In on 2:27*, 2:42
    300pb
    3*100sw, 15s rest
    In on 2:39, 2:40, 2:40
    400pb
    4*100sw, 15s rest
    In on 2:44, 2:45, 2:44, 2:45
    400 backstroke

* 5 sec PB on the time trial I did in January although theoretically I was supposed to do these at a steady pace so it doesn't count. I'm recovering a lot quicker now when I do the sets :D

• Advertisement

Friday:

Run: 4.1k in 31 min

Dad is back into a good routine with his c25k plan. D day is in Clareen on Mar 8th :) I did a good core session today and my 3min plank. I don't think I'll move up to 4min next week because at the end of 3 I'm ready to collapse. I may go back to 2 again and consolidate :D Didn't do any swim today because I've been feeling pretty exhausted all day long. That combined with the fact that my run training is a bit kamikaze at the moment has made me decide not to race tomorrow. Going to do a 10m easy run instead and then I'm mountain biking/cake eating with some boards superstars in Ballyhoura on Sunday :D

Saturday:

10.14m @ 7:59

A nice mixture of faster and slower steady pace miles with the last mile @ 6:34. Very mild today. I had a t-shirt and shorts on. In February :eek:

Sunday:

Bike: Ballyhoura brown loop ~ 25k

Usual mix of uphills, downhills, narrow twisty tracks, rocks, trees and tree roots. Nice gang of us so the time flew by :D Knackered now so can't be bothered with any core work!

Happy enough with this week. Got a good bit done and my foot seems to have healed up.

Week totals:
    Run: 30m
    Swim: 8.3k
    Bike: 25k
    Core: 2/7
    3 min plank: 6/7

Jeez K. You've swum further than I've run this week...

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Jeez K. You've swum further than I've run this week...

Did you run at all this week??? Probably too busy combing your beard :D

Just over 8km trail run on Friday. That was it. Yeah my grooming schedule takes up so much times these days it's ridiculous. I kinda miss the days of the shaved head and face alright. Well warm on cold days though!

Monday:

Swim: 2200m

200 fc
    4*50 k with board (try one without the board*)
    4*50 sw
    4*50 fingertip
    4*50 sw
    4*50 pb
    4*50 sw
    4*50 armpit tap
    4*50 sw
    4*50 fist
    4*50sw
    200 backstroke/fc
    15 sec rest after each drill, all done at comfortable pace.

*one without the board was bleugh. As soon as I lift my head to breathe my arms sink in front and then my legs sink and then I go lower and lower in the water until I'm taking in more water than air. Sort of like a sinking ship! Had to stop 3 times on the first 25 and twice on the second. Lots more practice needed :rolleyes:

Run 1: 2.8m @ 11:55

Run 2: 4.25m @ 8:54

These were fine. First one with Dad, second on my own. Legs were fine but I was breathing a tiny bit faster than usual on the easy pace run. I'd say I'm just tired. Haven't had a proper rest day for 10 days. I probably should have gone a bit slower but it was cold and dark. No running tomorrow :D

Tuesday:

Run: 3.23m @ 9:11

I felt like a run and I'd 30 minutes to kill so that's what I did.

Swim: 1000m

Under the eagle eyes of Dory in the UCD pool with Kurt and Oryx for company. 50m is nice. I like it more than 25 because I can get into a better rhythm before I have to stop and Dory gave me some great advice :D I sort of invited myself but they seem happy enough to pick up stragglers over on the tri forum ;) Met up with some more lovely boardsies for dinner and some insightful conversation and then had an interesting journey with Dory back to Bewley's hotel. I may have taken a wrong turn somewhere near Stephens green. The Satnav was going mental and we may have gone the wrong way up a couple of one way streets and around something that looked like a loading bay and onto the Luas track somewhere near James' hospital. Luckily Dory was well plied with white wine and she doesn't understand Irish road signs too well and everything was totally fine until we got to the motorway. I get confused between left and right when I'm driving sometimes. So we went around in circles for a little bit and did a couple of u turns around roundabouts but hey I got her there in the end :D It was starting to test even Dory's patience though and I don't think she'll be looking for me to be her designated driver next time she's over ;)

Wednesday:

3.56m @ 11:14

That's Dad's longest run so far and we took in the 'hill rep' hill. Was going to do some hill reps myself today but I wasn't feeling the love so I'll do them tomorrow instead

Thursday:

Swim: 2600m

200 fc/backstroke
    4*50 k with board
    4*500 steady, overall time matters less than hitting steady 100's for each 500: this is NOT a TT
    200 fc/backstroke

Tried one of the kicks without the board. Got to halfway. Progress :D Did the 500's with the pb cause I was feeling a bit tired. Tried to concentrate on my hand entry and not curling my hand into a ball. Did some of the drills as well. This woman, she's sort of my boss, her kids do swim lessons on a Thursday. There's another kid whose always in the pool at the same time but doesn't do lessons. He may even be her kid. I don't know. Anyway the little fecker keeps following me around and I'd swear he's swimming into me on purpose :mad:

Run: 7m @ 7:33

1m warm up @ 8:36
    5m tempo @ 7:13, 7:09, 7:45, 7:13, 6:55
    1m easy @ 8:01

I was supposed to run after work before I went swimming but I was hungry and unmotivated and I couldn't be bothered. So I had made peace with myself that I wouldn't run today and the schedule was amended accordingly. After swimming though, I had to wait for my dinner to cook and I thought I may as well head out for a run or I'd only eat a load of crap. I was going to do 6 x 1min hill reps because I thought I would have the least chance of injuring myself in the dark if I was running up hill. But then when I got to the hill, there was a dog and he kept barking and that plan was discarded. So I thought I'd just up the pace a little for a couple of miles. I couldn't see my watch but it felt like tempo effort. The third tempo mile was supposed to be at easy pace but once I had recovered the pace kept creeping up and I just went with it. The last tempo mile was slightly downhill so I'm happy I kept a consistent enough effort going. Delighted with myself for getting that done tonight :D

You are some bloody machine!!! :D :eek:

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    You are some bloody machine!!! :D :eek:

Thanks :) I could just have easily have gone to bed though or spent the evening eating. I could eat for Ireland :eek:

Well I think you have earned an evening of eating and sleeping!

Friday:

3.37m @ 11:23

With Dad - 2min w/u, 1m run, 3min walk, 1m run, 3min walk, 0.5m run

Saturday:

Run: 10.6m @ 8:31

Nice run. Had been standing around for almost 3 hours holding horses for the farrier and I was frozen. I had 3 layers on running and it was a bit warm!

Swim: 1700m

200 fc/backstroke
    4*50 k with board
    4*100 off 2:30 (or whatever your slow pace is)
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:25 (slow pace minus 5 seconds)
    In on 2:34, 2:35, 2:33, 2:38
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:20 (slow pace minus 10 seconds; this pace should feel "steady")
    In on 2:32, 2:28, 2:28, 2:22
    1 min rest
    4*100 off 2:15 (slow pace minus 15 seconds; this pace should feel "fast")
    1 min rest
    In on 2:23, 2:19*, 2:20, 2:20
    100 backstroke

* This is a 13 sec PB on the TT I did for January biggrin.png but I kind of messed up the pacing because I didn't go slowly enough for the first set so I only ended up doing the 3. Absolutely delighted with it though :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

How far do you live from the pool? Could you cycle there ;-)

Great training of late. I'll still follow your log when it moves.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    How far do you live from the pool? Could you cycle there ;-)

Great training of late. I'll still follow your log when it moves.
    11 miles on the bike. I did a few bike/swim/bike last year before the Beast. I'm just waiting for a few more hours of daylight ;)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I'll still follow your log when it moves.

It's moving? Not before time.

It's moving? Not before time.

Not so fast jungle boy. I'm not going anywhere :p

Not so fast jungle boy. I'm not going anywhere :p

We'll continue the "I'm a runner" charade for another while so...

Sunday:

Run: 2.4m @ 11:34

Did this with Dad. His 4th run this week :) Had a fun morning with the horses on the gallop beforehand. They haven't been riding for the last 5 weeks because they were coughing. Today was the end of the holiday. It's interesting because they all have they're own characters. Mireya pretends she's being really co-operative and doing everything you want but she's sneakily upping the pace all the time until it's like out of control and then when we pull up she gives a little playful buck. Valbucca trots under duress for so long and then she says feck this and bolts off. Daisy isn't sure whether she's in favour of this riding lark or not. She bucks when I jump up on her, she bucks when I put my feet in the stirrups and when I change the reins but then she decides it's too much effort and just gets on with it. Tambo is a typical man. All the others were a bit under the weather but he's battled through the consumption and he gives a couple of pathetic coughs to remind me of what a brave soldier he is. And then Valmai is a complete ditz "Is that a bird. Is it flying. I wanna fly too" :D

Swim: 1950m

200 fc/backstroke
    2 x 50 kick with board
    100 pb
    2 x 50 fingertip
    100 pb
    2 x 50 armpit
    100 pb
    2 x 50 fist
    100 pb
    2 x 50 thigh tap
    100 pb
    2 x 50 sailboat
    100 pb
    4*100 off 2:30
    in on 2:30, 2:33, 2:26, 2:30
    150m backstroke

Didn't mean to swim or run quite as much this week but have to take advantage of opportunities when they arise and I wanted to get the 4 x 100 done today that I missed yesterday. Core took a bit of a hit cause I was too tired/lazy

Week totals:
    Run: 37.22m
    Swim: 9.45k
    Core: 1/7
    2 min plank: 7/7

• Advertisement

Core took a bit of a hit cause I was too tired/lazy

Love the honesty...

Love the honesty...
    Just keeping it real ... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

...had an interesting journey with Dory back to Bewley's hotel. I may have taken a wrong turn somewhere near Stephens green. The Satnav was going mental and we may have gone the wrong way up a couple of one way streets and around something that looked like a loading bay and onto the Luas track somewhere near James' hospital. Luckily Dory was well plied with white wine and she doesn't understand Irish road signs too well and everything was totally fine until we got to the motorway. I get confused between left and right when I'm driving sometimes. So we went around in circles for a little bit and did a couple of u turns around roundabouts but hey I got her there in the end :D It was starting to test even Dory's patience though and I don't think she'll be looking for me to be her designated driver next time she's over ;)

Glad the Beast is not a driving challenge!! :)

AKW wrote: »
    Glad the Beast is not a driving challenge!! :)

Me too :D

Monday:

Swim: 2200

400 warmup fc/backstroke
    4 x 100 kick
    - Option A: no kick board, 4 x (25 on stomach with arms outstretched and hands clasped, 25 on right side, 25 on left side, 25 on back with arms outstretched and hands clasped). If not using a kick board while on the stomach isn't working for you, then you can substitute that 25 for kicking on your back.
    4 x 50 free - 25 hard, 25 easy, 15 sec rest
    4 x 100 free done with right arm only 25, left arm only 25, full stroke 50
    200 finger tip drill
    200 cool down backstroke

Dory is in charge of our swim sessions this week and she ain't taking no prisoners! This was tough tonight. It's my third swim in a row which probably didn't help but I think it was always going to be hard because I don't have a good kick. Very happy to have this one done cause the other two aren't as bad :D No run today - when I came home from work it was wet and horrible and I was hungry and since I've run on the last 7 days I figured I could do with a break ;)

Tuesday:

Run 1: 6.2m @ 8:22

with 2 x 75sec hills @ 10k pace and 6 x 20 sec @ 5k pace

Legs were feeling a little jaded heading out so I kind of played this by ear. Really felt like taking the shortcut back to the house after 3 miles but as the pace wasn't too slow I made myself suffer on. I felt better then and the hills felt easy enough so I threw in the 5k pick ups at the end

Run 2: 3.6m @ 11:22

Got Dad to run for 30min without stopping. It's hard to make him go at the right pace. Have to constantly nag at him to slow down. But it's all good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You will have to put reins on him!

SamforMayo wrote: »

I was hoping madame Dora would put them on me :)

Only joking in case Tang comes along and accuses me of some other perversion!

TbL

TbL

50 Shades of Bitter Lemon?

SamforMayo wrote: »

I think he's a bit old for that :eek:

TbL

Woah. Let's hold on here sweetie. Reins and a whip are for my equine superstars only :D
    50 Shades of Bitter Lemon?

Lemons on my log. Doggies on Oryx's. Where will it all end? :p

I think he's a bit old for that :eek:

Woah. Let's hold on here sweetie. Reins and a whip are for my equine superstars only :D

Lemons on my log. Doggies on Oryx's. Where will it all end? :p

I might break 3 hours for a 209.6 furlongs race, would that qualify me as a superstar????

TbL

• Advertisement
Advertisement