Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Friday:

Run: 2m @ 8:49 + 4m @ 11:12

Did a couple on my own first. When I was coming back one of the lambs was the wrong side of the wire fence so I had to stop and return her to her mother. She was all tangled up in briars and it was a painful job trying to detangle her. Had to lift her over the fence then. Little brat must weigh about 30kg and her fleece was all wet :(

Saturday:

Swim: 2.5k

250m sw ez
    200m pb ez
    100m sw
    100m ripple
    100m armpit/shoulder tap
    100m pb
    100m fist
    150m sw
    100m fist&pb
    100m sw
    200m pb
    100m sw
    300m pb
    100m sw
    400m pb
    200m sw

Don't really like the pool at the weekend. Too many people. There's usually someone getting a lesson as well so only one lane free. I wanted a run free day though so had to grin and bear it. Thankfully I got most of my set done in peace :)

Sunday:

5m @ 10:51

First 4m with Dad. Last one on my own with strides. All good on the running front. Not so good on the study front. I feel like I'm sinking into a big black pit. I'm doing an essay on Toxoplasmosis and I've basically said everything there is to say and I'm still 1200 words short :eek: Sh!te! Have to go to the shop for some brain food comfort food chocolate!!!

Week totals:
    Run: 32.85m
    Swim: 9.9k
    Core: 2 (40 min)
    Planks: 5 (13min)

Monday:

Swim: 2.1k

2x(50sw,50p,25k) +10s rest between each
    3x50 as 25 fs, 25p (use a pull buoy for the fs)
    4x50 as 25 archer, 25 easy + 15s
    6x(100 broom, 100sw) + 20sec rest between each
    4x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy +15s rest between each 50
    4x50 choice

New coach this week. New drills. Found them tough enough. Kept going backwards when I was doing the front scull so I cheated a bit and threw in a few arm strokes. Got a slap on the wrist for that ... "Don't cheat at the front scull......your body position is pants". Harsh but true :D

Tuesday:

Streets of Portlaoise 5k
    20:33 watch time
    12th F
    Splits: 6:19, 6:18, 6:57, (6:09)

Woke up this morning with a poxy sore throat. You know one of those one's where you think you're fine until you swallow and then it's ouch. So you swallow again just to double check you weren't imagining things and it's oh yeah that hurt a bit *big sigh* Typical!!

Fabulous day for running and there was a good crowd at this. About 500 I'd say. The start was on quite a narrow street but they had it well marked from sub 16 back to sub 35. I lined up a couple of rows back from the sub 20 sign. Plenty of vests and short shorts about so I figured I was about right. About 5 min before the start a woman in a pink t-shirt pushed in next to me talking to her companions "oh we'll go here ... no one lines up where they should be ... we need to be far up blah blah blah .... haven't done any training for the last few months ...." Felt like telling her to sod off back to the sub 30 group where she should be but I told myself to cop on and concentrate on my own race. Gun went bang on 11:30 and we were off.

The course is two small laps and one big one. The first k is downhill and very fast. I had enough room and I was able to get into and keep a good enough rhythm. Passed pink t shirt lady after a couple of hundred metres. She actually p!ssed me off a lot so I cut in front of her a bit. There's a few tight corners where it's hard enough to keep the momentum going but I was steadily passing people all the time. There's a bit of a drag up at the end of the small lap which is grand the first time but I felt it more the second. Heading out for the big lap and I was pretty happy with the first two mile splits. I really thought I could bring it home for 19:xx if I just kept up the effort. There was a bit of a headwind on Harpers Lane but I was still passing people all the time. Next time I looked at my watch though the pace had dropped to 6:5x. Fook. I was pretty much on the red line at this stage. Passed a woman called Niamh along here. She was getting loads of shout outs. There's a sharp enough drag then before you turn onto the Mountrath road. It's short though and there was a woman here shouting out just up that hill now and then you're nearly finished. Kept repeating that to myself until I was up the hill. In truth it's hardly a speed bump but it's all about location!! Up the hill, round the corner and Niamh passed me again. Smoke was coming out my ears at this stage but I kept ploughing on. Passed Niamh again and then the 4k marker. Had a look at the watch. 16:15. Hmmm still possible. Didn't have much left in reserves though. You can do this. You can do this. 500m to go. Niamh comes past me like a train and vanishes into the distance. I'm struggling now to keep myself from walking. Another guy passes me and we turn now onto the street were we started. Bit more to go to the finish but it's downhill. See the clock ticking 20:2x BALLS!!!!! and then I'm over the line and I can stop :)

Initially I was disappointed but I think I ran as good a race as I could and I don't feel like I could have gone any faster. Wasn't going to race again until the Kclub but I might do a parkrun Sat week. I'm happy with the way I'm progressing though .... it's a season's PB. Dad ran 28:13. Another PB for him. Jammy git :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done, great race by the sounds of it. Fair play your Dad is flying! Mind that throat now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great report. I almost feel sorry for that poor girl in pink... but not quite...

and I'm in awe of you seeing 16:15 at 4k and thinking sub-20 was still possible...!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Very well done Kate, nice racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

it's a season's PB. Dad ran 28:13. Another PB for him. Jammy git :p

Your dad's on a roll ! Well done to him. Sub 28 next I guess ? Oh and well done to you too, congrats on the season's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nicely done CM, well done to your Dad too !

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Well done, great race by the sounds of it. Fair play your Dad is flying! Mind that throat now.

Thanks Sam. I hope your knee has been behaving itself lately!
    annapr wrote: »
    Great report. I almost feel sorry for that poor girl in pink... but not quite...

and I'm in awe of you seeing 16:15 at 4k and thinking sub-20 was still possible...!!!

Haha :D

.... being able to lie convincingly to myself when I'm racing is a skill I'm trying to develop ;)
    tang1 wrote: »
    Very well done Kate, nice racing.

Thanks Barry. Good to see you back racing. Being able to run everyday is a gift but you can't beat the buzz of racing :D
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Your dad's on a roll ! Well done to him. Sub 28 next I guess ? Oh and well done to you too, congrats on the season's best.

Thanks BG :D I think sub 28 should be doable for him in the next few weeks alright
    Duanington wrote: »
    Nicely done CM, well done to your Dad too !

Thanks D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well run CM. Enjoyed that account of the proceedings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Nice going K, just be careful of that cutting in front of pink lady... I read Opus had an accidental coming together with someone at the weekend which left him bloodied and out of the running target wise. Sounds like your actions were inviting a possible similar outcome. Try not to let the actions of others make you make rash decisions, be it swimming, cycling or running... Hope I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill :)

Watch out for your auld fella, he'll have a target on your back next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Nice going K, just be careful of that cutting in front of pink lady... I read Opus had an accidental coming together with someone at the weekend which left him bloodied and out of the running target wise. Sounds like your actions were inviting a possible similar outcome. Try not to let the actions of others make you make rash decisions, be it swimming, cycling or running... Hope I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill :)

Watch out for your auld fella, he'll have a target on your back next :)

This ultra running has turned you into a right Captain Sensible :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Bulmers74 wrote: »

I think it was that incident with the bollard that did it!

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Thanks Marty. Not quite making a mountain out of a molehill but your post does come across as a wee bit self righteous ;) No cause for concern. I doubt she even recognised what I was doing! I am well aware of the dangers of cutting in front of people. Possibly more so than many given that I've raced horses for over 17 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great running CM especially with the sore throat. You couldn't have been at your best so that's still a good time all things considered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

No ultra running yet boyo but am a bit more cautious about a lot of things in life lately :)
    Thanks Marty. Not quite making a mountain out of a molehill but your post does come across as a wee bit self righteous ;) No cause for concern. I doubt she even recognised what I was doing! I am well aware of the dangers of cutting in front of people. Possibly more so than many given that I've raced horses for over 17 years.

Sorry if I came across that way, was all with good intentions my dear :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

We'll done CM and CMD :D Now when's your dad starting a log here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Well done CM, good run. I found the hill out of the town on the second lap a killer - We must have been very close to one another during this. I passed that Niamh girl at about 2.5k. I could still hear people calling her name over the next kilometer as she must have been right behind me.

Also did you notice your garmin time doesn't match the offical time (precision timing results).

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    We'll done CM and CMD :D Now when's your dad starting a log here?!

Thanks Dg :D

Ha our internet is very slow at home. I don't think he could be bothered with a log :D

PDCAT wrote: »
    Well done CM, good run. I found the hill out of the town on the second lap a killer - We must have been very close to one another during this. I passed that Niamh girl at about 2.5k. I could still hear people calling her name over the next kilometer as she must have been right behind me.

Also did you notice your garmin time doesn't match the offical time (precision timing results).
    I just read your race report. I'd say we were close enough for the first mile. Our mile splits are quite similar. Good running from you. I think you would have had some residual fatigue in the legs after the 20 miles so that was a very good run from you!

Noticed that alright. They must be all gun times. I presume it's cheaper for the club :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant CM the pool's doing you no harm at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great running CM, well done, especially with some nasties camping in your throat :) and your Dad, how great is he doing. He has a great role model though :) it must give you a warm fuzzy feeling to see him cross the finish line at these races :) Hope that sore throat is better today.

Runchick wrote: »
    Brilliant CM the pool's doing you no harm at all :D

Thanks Rc. I think the swimming is really having a positive effect. It's great for recovery and the sessions I'm doing are massively improving my aerobic capacity so I'm stronger and I don't need to run as much to get to the same fitness level. I would highly recommend it.
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Great running CM, well done, especially with some nasties camping in your throat :) and your Dad, how great is he doing. He has a great role model though :) it must give you a warm fuzzy feeling to see him cross the finish line at these races :) Hope that sore throat is better today.

Thanks N. Sure it gives him something to do anyway ;)

Wednesday:

Swim: 2.3k

200sw,200p,100k
    6x50 as 25 drill, 25 easy + 20sec
    1,4 = front balance
    2,5 = left balance
    3,6 = right balance
    6x100m trunk touch +20sec
    6x50p + 15sec focusing on entering the water deep, by that I mean hand entering and trying to touch the bottom of the pool in front of you
    6x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy + 20sec
    100k,100p,100sw

Good swim. Added on a couple of hundred meters at the start. I was just on autopilot and I did 200m reps instead of 100m. Until I got to the kick and I happily realised I only had to do half as much as I thought :D

Thursday:

Run 1: 4m @ 8:50

First time in ages that I've had a chance to do a run before breakfast. It was a really nice morning but I'm glad I had my gloves on as it was nippy out! I had planned to do more but I decided to play safe. I'm a wee bit run down the last couple of days and I haven't been doing any core in the evenings but my sore throat is gone thankfully.

Swim: 2.2k

4x50 sw easy + 15s
    4x50 p steady + 15s
    4x50 k + 15s
    4x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy + 15s
    10x50p as 25 fist, 25p +15s
    3x100 sw steady +20sec
    4x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy + 15s
    4x50k + 15s
    200 backstroke

Really enjoyed this swim. Even though there was a lot of kicking and my legs, they were not happy about this! Got myself a big bottle of Yazoo chocolate milk after :)

Run 2: 4.6m recovery

Super slow. Did the job though :D

Friday:

Rest. 20 days since my last complete rest day :eek: Ooops

Saturday:

Swim workshop

Had to be in Athlone Regional Sports Centre at 8:30 this morning so I got up at 5 because I thought I needed to leave at 6 but then I was in Roscrea when it dawned on me I was going to be an hour early :eek: D'0h. Stoopid! Oh well that's what the time vacuum that is the internet is for, right?!

This was a very good day. Learnt loads. There was 10 of us .... I was the only non triathlete :D and after a little chat we hit the pool. One at a time we got underwater and overwater video analysis of our stroke done and there was a session on the board for us to do while we were waiting. The pool is lovely. Loads of bright natural light and the water isn't doused in chlorine. After we were all finished we got tea and scones and then we hit the classroom to learn about good and bad technique and to have a quick look at the videos.

My legs are doing horrendous things when I'm swimming especially the right one, my hips are dropped, my elbows aren't high enough particularly the left one when I get tired, and sometimes my elbow is entering the water at the same time as my hand.

The good news is it's all fixable :D

After lunch we talked about the various drills we needed to do to correct the imbalances. We practised some of them in the classroom and then we headed back to the pool and spent another hour doing different drills. We did them width ways across the pool which made them a bit easier. We were sent home then with our own videos saved on a memory stick and sometime next week I'll be sent another video with more detailed stroke analysis and drill recommendations.

Session 1:
    300m warm up
    300m video analysis
    100m kicks
    2 x (100m, 4 x 25m, 2x 50m, 4 x 25m, 100m)

Session 2 ~ 1000m

Mixture of drills and swim

Had to stop on the way home for food. 2 rolls, 2 bananas, an apple and blackberry pastry thingy and a mars bar and then I cooked myself a steak when I got home #suchapig :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

OCD, OCD....... Great going, is the pool in Athlone any use, be threatening for years to use it while i'm home?

tang1 wrote: »
    OCD, OCD....... Great going, is the pool in Athlone any use, be threatening for years to use it while i'm home?

:D

Ya it's lovely. Really nice to swim in and they have a good gym there too. I just had a peep in the door and they have another room where they do some mad spin classes.

Sunday:

I have a run to report. It's only my third day running this week but it was a good one!

10.05m @ 7:21 + 2m @ 10:10

I started out with a plan to do steady miles but the first mile was too fast so I decided to alternate tempo miles with steady miles. No real plan pace wise for the tempo miles but I wanted to keep the steady miles under 8m/m

Splits: 7:34, 7:51, 7:20, 7:55, 7:17, 7:38, 6:43, 7:34, 6:41, 6:58 (5:42)

Had planned on doing 12 but the last 4 miles were too fast and I was getting a headache so I decided to do the last 2 miles at recovery pace. Delighted with the way I was feeling on this run. I was very comfortable all the way up hills, down hills, into the wind except for the last couple of miles. I knew I was on for an unofficial 10m pb after the 9th mile (my previous pb was 1:14:40 from the Stook 10m in 2013) and I had picked a telegraph pole as my finishing line so that's why there's a bit extra. I think I get the headache when I have electrolyte imbalances because I've gotten it before after very long runs/when I sweat a lot or when it's very warm like today. It doesn't respond to painkillers but luckily to test my theory I had a powerbar electrolyte tab that I got in a goody bag that I had dissolved in water when I got home and after a lukewarm bath my headache is gone :D

Weekly totals:
    Run: 25.71m
    Swim: 9.3k
    Core: 1 (30min)
    Planks: 1 (3min)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I get something very similar when the weather improves, my blood pressure tends to run on the low side and I get headaches and dizzy spells after a hard workout.

I usually drink a pint of water and electrolytes before a session in good weather and it seems to hold it off.

pointer28 wrote: »
    I get something very similar when the weather improves, my blood pressure tends to run on the low side and I get headaches and dizzy spells after a hard workout.

I usually drink a pint of water and electrolytes before a session in good weather and it seems to hold it off.
    That's good to know. Must get me some electrolytes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Great run Kate - looks like you've got to find a 10 mile race :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great run Kate - looks like you've got to find a 10 mile race :)

Leinster 10 mile/battle of clontarf next month? :) *whistles innocently*

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Leinster 10 mile/battle of clontarf next month? :) *whistles innocently*

I'll keep it in mind ;)

Monday:

Swim 2.5k

Warm up: 200 sw + 200 pb

Kick drills:
    4 x 50 k with board
    100 sw concentrating on keeping my legs close together and kicking straight from the hip
    4 x 25 torpedo
    Kick on your back, rolling shoulders and hips from side to side pause briefly when completely on your side. Head should not move, eyes on roof. Shoulder turns to your chin. Start rotation from upper body. Arms are by your side throughout the drill.
    100 sw concentrating on good rotation
    4 x 25 extension
    Kick with body rolled on one side, one arm extended from the shoulder, other hand on thigh. Tuck chin in towards armpit and look down. Keep long streamlined position on your side, roll head to breathe when necessary. Change sides after each 25m
    100 sw concentrating on good rotation
    4 x 25 side kick
    With both arms by your side, kick on your side for 25m. Head is under water in line with body. Rotate chin up to breathe keeping your head aligned with spine and body. Goal is to increase comfort until you need only to swivel chin to breathe.
    100 sw concentrating on good rotation and kicking with my legs together

Stroke drills: 2 with pb, 2 without
    4 x 25 elbow pause (single arm only)
    At Point of entry, (in front of shoulder and between elbow and wrist of other arm), pause for 1- 2 secs then extend hand forward under water rolling shoulder and hip. Catch only begins when arm is fully extended and hand is a couple of inches under surface.
    100 sw focussing on good hand entry
    4 x 25 puppy paddle
    Start with 2 arms extended in front of shoulders, hands under the surface. Start with right hand and turn fingers downwards, bending elbow and pulling straight back until hand is directly below elbow (at 90 degree angle). Imagine "fingers turning down over beach ball"hen turn hand and slide back to original position before switching to other hand. Elbow kept higher than hand throughout. Face in water.
    100 sw focussing on good catch and pull
    4 x 25 armpit
    Keep one arm straight in front of shoulder, pull with opposite arm. Recovery is with high elbow and each time touch your thumb on your shoulder as it passes.Remember to rotate hips and shoulders. Alternate arms on each 25m.
    100 sw focussing on high elbow in recovery

Cool down: 200 pb + 200 sw + 200 backstroke

Some things to note:
    I find the drills much easier the 2nd time I do them
    The torpedo was way easier today compared to Saturday
    The arm extension is hard. Not getting my body high enough in the water the first time I did it each side and had to stop after about 15m. Second time was better and I didn't need to stop
    The side kick was very good. I was very buoyant :D and breathing was easy
    The stroke drills were much harder with the pb than without
    I forgot the armpit was supposed to be one arm at a time
    I felt like I was swimming better today

Run: 4.5m recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Sunday:

Splits: 7:34, 7:51, 7:20, 7:55, 7:17, 7:38, 6:43, 7:34, 6:41, 6:58 (5:42)

I knew I was on for an unofficial 10m pb after the 9th mile (my previous pb was 1:14:40 from the Stook 10m in 2013) and I had picked a telegraph pole as my finishing line so that's why there's a bit extra.

That's unreal for a training run, I can only dream :) well done you :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    That's unreal for a training run, I can only dream :) well done you :)

Cheers :D I was pretty chuffed with it but it's all relative .... that's slow pace for other people on here ;)

Tuesday:

Run 1: 5m @ 8:34 w strides

Easy run. Was going to do some hill reps but legs felt a bit tired so I shortened the run and threw in some strides at the end.

Swim: 2.5k (technique)

Same as yesterday. Arm extension drill was difficult. I always find the drills harder when I'm fatigued.

Run 2: 3.5m @ 11:29

Recovery with Dad

Wednesday:

Run: Minute intervals with equal jog recovery

10 min warm up @ 8:08

Time|1 min|2 min|3 min|4 min|4 min|3 min|2 min|1 min
    Pace|6:35|6:27|6:43|6:57|6:50|6:27|6:15|5:45

10 min easy @ 8:30

I wanted a run with a bit of quality today but nothing too taxing because my legs are still a bit delicate! This worked pretty well and I had to work hard but not too hard :) Had my watch set to time. The paces aren't too consistent but the wind was a killer in places and the faster I tried to go the more determined it seemed to blow against me!

Thursday:

Swim: 2.65k (endurance mostly with a little bit of technique stuff)

Week 20

Day 2
    200m warm up
    6*50 as (25 kick max, 25 easy sw, 15s rest)
    550sw steady pace
    1 min rest
    500pb steady pace
    1 min rest
    500sw steady pace
    1 min rest
    4*50 as 25 sprint, 25 easy, 15s rest
    2 x 50 shoulder tap w pb
    2 x 25 shoulder tap w/o pb
    50 sw
    200 backstroke

I substituted the 25 kick max for kick drills: 2 x (torpedo roll, one arm extension, side kick)
    Miscounted the first 500 and did an extra 50 but the 500 was in 12:12. I'm faster with the pull buoy and I find I don't lift my head as much to breathe. 10:33 for that 500. Last 500 in 12:17. Didn't time the sprints but the last time I looked at my watch when I got to the wall and it was around 30secs. Then I did some more drills before the cool down to try and get my lazy left elbow to come up a bit higher! Good session smile.png

• Advertisement

Some great running sessions going on here! I'm sure its probably the same with the swimming but it may as well be written in Greek. Can't make head nor tail of half of it!;)

Great work K

RedRunner wrote: »
    Some great running sessions going on here! I'm sure its probably the same with the swimming but it may as well be written in Greek. Can't make head nor tail of half of it!;)

Great work K
    Thanks Robbie. Now you've got your bike surely swimming is next on the radar for you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

RedRunner wrote: »
    may as well be written in Greek. Can't make head nor tail of half of it!;)

Just thinking the same myself, although I was thinking Klingon or Swahili.

Some consistency though K, you're really racking up the time in the pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Χίλια μέτρα σε είκοσι τριών λεπτών τριάντα τέσσερα δευτερόλεπτα !! Φοβερό Κέιτ !!!

Friday:

Run: 4.2 m @ 8:21 w 10 x 80m strides

I had time to get this done before I went to work this morning which made me very happy :D Legs were a bit tired on the easy miles but felt good on the strides. Walk back recovery

Swim: 1.95k

Day 3
    200m warm up
    6*50 as (25 kick, 25 drill choice, 15s rest)
    superwoman, thigh tap
    torpedo, fingertip
    one arm extension R, fist
    one arm extension L, shoulder tap
    side kick R, elbow pause L
    side kick L, elbow pause R

2 mins rest
    1,000sw TT (steady pace at start, up the pace towards the end)
    In on 23:34
    4*50 as 25 sprint, 25 easy, 10s rest
    350 backstroke

I finished work at half one and I was kind of hungry so it was lucky I'd brought some cashew nuts and water to fill the gap! The pool is usually quiet at this time and I had the lane all to myself :) The drills went really well today. No swallowing water and my legs were a good bit higher in the water. So time to get stuck in to the 1000m. I had my watch set to alert after 975m so that I'd know when I was on my last length because the further I go the more likely I am to lose count. My plan was to divide this into 4 x 250m in my head so that's 5 up and down's and ideally I should be trying to increase the pace on every 250m. I felt like I was swimming very well today. Pacing wasn't perfect looking at the splits. First 500 in 11:34. Second in 12 even. Was hoping towards the end that I'd miscounted and my watch would beep a couple of lengths sooner than it did! Really thrilled with that time. The first and last time I did a 1k TT was back on the 19th of January. 31:49 was my time and it was hard work. I know I've improved a good bit since then but it's nice to have the improvement quantified! Big thanks to Kurt :D My arms felt so heavy on the first 25 sprint after the TT but they were fine after that :D

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Χίλια μέτρα σε είκοσι τριών λεπτών τριάντα τέσσερα δευτερόλεπτα !! Φοβερό Κέιτ !!!

Ha ha. Good man. Who said you didn't have a sense of humour! So wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

23:34 wow great progress! I wonder if AKW could beat that ;) Or Warren for that matter!

Well done Kate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

23:34 wow great progress! I wonder if AKW could beat that ;) Or Warren for that matter!

Well done Kate :)

Ah bless!! Inter team rivalry :)

Here MCOS you dropped these....

Gloves-Hand-tooled-tops.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1308281721861

AKW wrote: »

Here MCOS you dropped these....

I'd say he did that on purpose ;)

Saturday:

12m @ 8:47

First two miles were a slog. Legs were tired and it was so windy. Once I got to 6 miles I turned out of the wind and it was nicer. Had to go for a power nap when I got home though :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement