Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Sunday:

Swim: 2.1k

200 easy
    6 x 50 drills
    100 sw
    200 pb
    300 sw
    300 pb
    200 sw
    100 pb
    4 x 50 (25 sprint, 25 easy)
    200 easy

The pool is usually bleugh at the weekends but I didn't want to run so I figured if I headed to the pool in the morning it might be quieter. But then I slept in till 8:45 and that kind of scuppered that! Still I got there at 11 and it wasn't too bad thankfully. I think the clocks going back might have had an effect. I wanted this to be a recovery swim with nothing too stressful. There was only one other person in the lane when I started and he was an elderly guy doing a doggy paddle so I chanced doing a few drills. I don't really like doing drills when the lanes are busy cause I find it hard to concentrate but these went fairly well. The main set was easy and I was almost finished by the time the pool started to get busy.

I've had a good week training wise. My swimming is improving all the time and I'm really enjoying it and it's definitely benefiting my running and my overall fitness. I bought myself a book as a reward. I love books. I have a kindle but I don't like it as much. I like the feel of a book in my hand and turning the pages. Can't do that with a kindle :)

Weekly totals:
    Swim: 11.7k
    Run: 36.6m
    Core: 3 (80 min)
    Planks: 4 (13 min)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Super training! Which book? I'm addicted to books, could nt be bothered with a kindle!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Super training! Which book? I'm addicted to books, could nt be bothered with a kindle!

Suite Francaise. Fictional novel set in 1940. I love novels set in WW II :D

It was written by a Russian woman who died in Auschwitz and it was later translated from French by an English woman. I got it in Tesco ( Tesco is actually good for books :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

It was written by a Russian woman who died in Auschwitz and it was later translated from French by an English woman. I got it in Tesco ( Tesco is actually good for books :))

I have read it, it's good. Sarah s key is another good one set in WW II ! The 2 nd book of Ken Follets trio logy -Winter of the World is a huge book set during WWII as well. Fab read!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

great book, some really powerful scenes in it... especially when you think of the author's fate...

where do you get time to read with all that training!?!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I have read it, it's good. Sarah s key is another good one set in WW II ! The 2 nd book of Ken Follets trio logy -Winter of the World is a huge book set during WWII as well. Fab read!

Ah ok. I've read Fall of Giants. It was good. Must get Winter of the World, thanks :)

annapr wrote: »
    great book, some really powerful scenes in it... especially when you think of the author's fate...

where do you get time to read with all that training!?!

Ha it's time I could be using for something productive like study or housekeeping!!! Ah well maybe next week :D

Ha it's time I could be using for something productive like study or housekeeping!!! Ah well maybe next week :D

jaysis, give me reading over housekeeping any day!! way more productive!

Monday:

5.3m @ 9:56

Started out ok but felt very tired after the first easy mile so the run was downgraded to a recovery run. It was really wild and windy but warm. I only had a t-shirt and shorts on. Didn't get time to swim today unfort.

Tales from the farm: Do not wear welly boots that are too big for your feet when walking through deep mucky ground because what happens is, the boots get stuck and one ends up faceplanted in the mud!

• Advertisement

Tuesday:

Swim: 2.3k

200m warm up
    4*50 as 25 fist, 25 sw, 15s
    10*50 as 25 BE3, 25 BE5, 15s (steady controlled pace)
    10*25 as 15MAX, 10 easy (MAX is full on sprint)
    3*100 moderate pace
    In on 2:23, 2:23, 2:23
    3*100 steady pace
    In on 2:16, 2:16, 2:16
    3*100 fast pace (enter fastest time in the 100mTT table)
    In on 2:16, 2:15, 2:14
    250m choice

Not my best swim.

Run: 4m @ 9:14

And another crap run!

March:

Swim:
    Run: 147.28m

Year:
    Swim:
    Run: 410.34m
    Bike: 60k

Swim TT's

Distance|Nov '14|Dec|Jan|Feb|March|April|May|June'15
    100m|2:49|2:38|2:32|2:19|2:14|||
    400m|||11:24|9:53|9:43|||
    1000m|||31:49||23:34|||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thats serious improvement Kate, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I know nothing about swimming but those numbers have to be damn impressive.

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats serious improvement Kate, fair play.
    pointer28 wrote: »
    I know nothing about swimming but those numbers have to be damn impressive.

Thanks guys. All credit to Kurt Godel :D

Wednesday

Swim: 2.3k

Day 2
    200m warm up
    2 x 25 torpedo + 2 x 25 side kick
    50m breathe every 3
    50m breathe every 4
    50m breathe every 5
    50m breathe every 6
    50m breathe every 7
    50m breathe every 8
    50m breathe every 9
    50m breathe every 8
    50m breathe every 7
    50m breathe every 6
    50m breathe every 5
    50m breathe every 4
    50m breathe every 3
    (20 seconds rest between each)
    All of these should be done at a slow controlled pace. Exhale slowly and constantly. Try and keep a streamlined position. Take on air in a controlled manner- you should not be gasping. Relax and you will do better.
    5*200m pb, breathe every 3, 20 seconds rest between each.
    200 backstroke

I got my swim mojo back :D:D

Run: 8m @ 9:39 with strides

Alas my running mojo is still absent without leave :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Breathe every 9? Impressive!

Thursday:

Nothing

Friday:

Nothing. I was going to swim after work but the pool was closed. Damn papists :mad: So I went for a snooze instead

Saturday:

Run:

6.6m @ 8:35

I'm happy that my easy pace has returned to sub 9 minute miles although it's still not quite as easy as it should be. 3rd mile I did a few intervals between 30s and 60s and the 6th mile I did a 300m hill at 10k pace. I felt a bit faint at the top of the hill and I had to stop for a minute. I don't know why I'm feeling so tired on my runs this week :confused:

Swim: 3.5k

200 warm up
    4*50 as 25MAX, 25 easy, 20s
    4*25 steady, 15s rest. Count the number of strokes you take for each 25, and get an average. All 36 strokes
    6 x 50 drills (torpedo, one arm extension, elbow pause, side kick, puppy paddle, shoulder tap)
    6*400, alternate sw and pb, 15s
    (these should be done steady pace. Focus on slightly overreaching- try and reach a little further than usual with hand entry. Make the most of your catch and pull with thumb-to-thigh exit. The goal is to take one or two less strokes for each 25 than your test average)
    Time: 9:35, 8:26, 9:38, 8:26, 9:29*, 8:24 *New PB
    Spl: 34, 30, 38, 30, 36, 30

50m k with pb to give my arms a rest
    200 backstroke

Sunday:

Nothing

Weekly totals:

Run: 23.9m
    Swim: 8.1k

That's it. Most of this week I've been in hibernation. I've slept 9 or 10 hours every night and another couple of hours every afternoon.
    Sleep - Horses - Work - Sleep - Horses - Study - Sleep
    Hopefully next week will be better :cool:

Monday:

Run: Orange Hill 6k race

New race organised by a new club South Offaly Running Club. A couple of guys from work were doing it and my friend and Dad. It only dawned on me when I was driving over that the course might not be too flat. The clue is in the name duh. I did a bit of a recce once I'd registered and ya it was hilly. First k all up hill and continuous rolling hills thereafter. We had to do a loop and then come back the way we came so that meant the last k was all downhill.

It was a low key jobby, no chip timing or anything and my plan was to be in the first 3 and win it if I could. Originally I thought 4:05/km pace would be a good target but when I saw the hills that plan went out the window. I only saw a couple of people who looked like they would be in the placings so I lined up at the front and away we went.

I got into a nice rhythm pretty quickly even with the uphill start. A few men passed me and one of the work guys and his friend and a tall woman in black. I was happy to slot in behind her for now and in the corner of my eye I could see another woman on my shoulder. Before the end of the first k the hilll got a bit steeper and I went past the woman in black here. There was two guys in front of me now and further down the road I could see that work guy had stretched on a small bit from his friend.

I was working pretty hard but with the constant hills I was making sure to recover as much as I could on the downhills and not go into the red too much on the uphills. I passed the two guys after about 3 k. Work guy and his friend were about 30sec further ahead but I wasn't going to catch them. Into the forest and the trail was a bit stoney but nice and dry. It was nice to be in the shade for a while as the sun was quite strong but it was also nice to turn the corner and come back out onto the road. I had a few moments of wishing I could be finished in going up the last few hills but I think I kept a good enough effort up all the way and picked it up well in the closing finish.

Time: 25:48
    Splits: 7:09, 7:06, 7:01, (6:27)
    First woman, 8th overall

Swim: 2.4k

200 easy
    4*50 k alternate board/no board
    4*50 fingertip
    4*50 pb
    4*50 pb & fist
    4*50 fist
    100m MAX
    In on 2:04
    2*100 fingertip
    2*100 pb
    2*100 pb & fist
    2*100 fist
    200m MAX
    In on 4:29
    100 backstroke
    (10/15s rest after each drill; 45s rest after each MAX)

*I'm going to have my 100m PB under 2 min by the end of the month :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Deadly, great run. The swimming is really paying off. You are going to be unstoppable (actually, always were...so more unstoppabler :D ). Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well.done K - there really seems to be nothing can break your stride....

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Deadly, great run. The swimming is really paying off. You are going to be unstoppable (actually, always were...so more unstoppabler :D ). Well done!

Thanks Dg. Just doing my best to keep up with you ;)
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Well.done K - there really seems to be nothing can break your stride....

Thanks Conor :) How's the 7 steps training coming along?

As could be expected for where I'm starting....you participating? Good practice...

As could be expected for where I'm starting....you participating? Good practice...

Good stuff :D

Nah can't be competitive on the MTB in those races and I think TriHarder might be doing some team bonding that weekend :D

I'd get you a loan of a proper bike if that was the only problem. Damned second excuse... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great running CM, well done on the win too :):):)

Tuesday:

Swim: 2.6k

200 easy
    4*50 drills (one arm extension, side kick, shoulder tap, puppy paddle)
    5*400 swim hard for first 10 strokes each length, easy for the remainder of length (50m pool swim hard first 20 strokes)
    200m backstroke

The 400's were hard work. I was getting a bit fed up of them after the first 2 so to mix things up a bit on the next 3, on every fourth length I changed from breathing every 3 strokes to breathing every 5. That made it even harder work but the lengths flew by :D

Run: 4.3m @ 10:22

Easy peasy. Legs feel good and I've lots more energy this week .... no need for an afternoon nap :D

Wednesday:

11.2m @ 8:45

The first mile was a struggle. Pace was slow and my breathing was a lot faster than I wanted. I thought at that stage that I'd probably only get 5 or 6 miles done and that would do. The problem with not having a run plan is sometimes I listen too much to my body even when it's telling me porkies! As I went on it got much easier and the pace dropped nicely so I decided since I missed my long run at the weekend that I'd do it tonight. It was warm and sunny. The sun was in my eyes most of the way which was a bit uncomfortable and I was thirsty. As I was going throuhg Rathdowney, inwardly cursing myself for having brought no money and dreaming of a nice cool bottle of water, a rather rotund gentleman who was waddling back from the shop with his groceries, roared at me from the other side of the road to 'Speed up. Run a bit faster!'. He seemed to be expecting me to burst out laughing and applaud him for his great wit but I wasn't even halfway at this stage, my mouth was feeling like sandpaper and for some reason it really irked me that I was being told how to exercise by a fat git with sunglasses on. I told him he should come with me and show me how it was done but needless to say he didn't appear too enamoured with that suggestion!Once I got out of Rathdowney the miles flew by except towards the end when my under arm was starting to get chaffed by the ridge on my top and I had to hold my arms out like they were chicken wings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

In your previous post you mentioned going for an afternoon nap. Do you regularly take a nap? I'd love to know what difference it can make to recovery, I've heard great things!

You running the K-Club Saturday?

In your previous post you mentioned going for an afternoon nap. Do you regularly take a nap? I'd love to know what difference it can make to recovery, I've heard great things!

Ya I would often take a nap if I was feeling tired in the afternoon. The only danger is if I sleep too much in the day it's hard to sleep at night :)

• Advertisement

You running the K-Club Saturday?

I haven't fully committed to it yet. I'll see how I feel Saturday morning I think. Are you racing before Dunshaughlin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the win and swim PB. Rockin! :D
    Will you attempt OW swimming in May/June?
    When do you plan to get on the bike?

I haven't fully committed to it yet. I'll see how I feel Saturday morning I think. Are you racing before Dunshaughlin?

Doing a 5k in Edenderry Sunday week & will do the Tallaght 5k on the 3rd of next month. Hopefully get another 5k in a few weeks before Dunshaughlin.

Well done on the win and swim PB. Rockin! :D
    Will you attempt OW swimming in May/June?
    When do you plan to get on the bike?

If I have someone there to hold my hand I will.
    When my team mates arrange a training day in the mountains for me ;)

Doing a 5k in Edenderry Sunday week & will do the Tallaght 5k on the 3rd of next month. Hopefully get another 5k in a few weeks before Dunshaughlin.

Cool. Where's Edenderry and is it a fast course?

Cool. Where's Edenderry and is it a fast course?

County Offaly, know nothing about the course i'm afraid as its the first year of doing it. Hopefully it will be.

County Offaly, know nothing about the course i'm afraid as its the first year of doing it. Hopefully it will be.

I thought it was. The guy in work who did the Orange Hill race on Monday will probably know cause he lives near Tullamore. I'll ask him on Friday if I see him :)

When my team mates arrange a training day in the mountains for me ;)

Thought you were planning a training day for the day of the Blackstairs AR - or are you just afraid of the challenge? If not ye could all do your training day on the 7 steps...

Thought you were planning a training day for the day of the Blackstairs AR - or are you just afraid of the challenge? If not ye could all do your training day on the 7 steps...

Jaysus I'd want to be on my bike before May :eek:

• Advertisement

Thursday:

Swim: 3.4k

200 easy
    4*50 alternate fingertip/fist
    400 swim
    600 pb
    800 swim
    600 pb
    400 swim
    200 backstroke

Nice running today, PB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Nice run today. Pity I missed you at the k club. It was a busy room and hard to spot all the boardsies. :-(

Nice running today, PB?

Cheers Barry. No my PB is 33sec faster :)

RedRunner wrote: »
    Nice run today. Pity I missed you at the k club. It was a busy room and hard to spot all the boardsies. :-(

Thanks Robbie. I was looking out for you too. I've never met you of course but I've seen a few photos and I thought I'd be able to spot you. I was a bit spaced after though so that probably didn't help :D Well done on the team prize :D

Friday:

Rest. Was studying most of the day and I got a good chunk of my essay done. Only 500 more words to go :D

Saturday:

Run: Kclub 10k race

Woke early and was feeling very energetic so I decided to get all my jobs done and head to Straffan. I thought I had loads of time but it was 10:30 when I got there and then I had to join a massive queue to register. Which turned out to be the wrong queue when I got to the desk so I had to join another long queue before I could get my number. Queue me feeling very frazzled! Only had 8 minutes for a warm up so I jogged back to the car to get my watch where I bumped into posters in exile, jscmum and Sunflower Ro.

Had a quick word with AMK at the start and then I met Adrian who was looking pumped and ready for action. This is the third year I've done this race. I've gone too fast at the start on both previous attempts so the only plan I had was to run no faster than 4:15 for the first km.

I was pretty happy with where I had lined up. I had plenty of room and not too many people passed me before we turned on to the road. My breathing was good and my watch was reading 4:17 at the 1k marker. I had started it on the gun so it should have been pretty accurate. After the first k I ran by effort but although the pace on my watch was showing in km, the distance was still in imperial measurements so it was beeping for every mile split and I was looking at these. Adrian was about 30m ahead of me and looked to be going well. The wind was difficult in places especially on that stretch between the 2nd and 3rd k. Next time round was going to be fun :rolleyes: When we turned the corner out of the wind I had a guy on either side of me. The guy on my right was a garda and he was nice and tall so really I was hoping to keep pace with him when we turned back into the wind. Passed 5k in 20:50. We were closing the gap on Adrian but unfortunately for me, just before we turned the corner for the second loop my garda friend pushed on and I couldn't go with him. Kilometres 6 - 8 I can't remember much about apart from the suffering. Felt a bit nauseous at one stage and then I started to get a stich. Dialled back the effort a little and it passed. I remember Sunflower Ro passed me before the water station and said Well done. It always amazes me how people can talk in the middle of shorter races. I can hardly think never mind form words! Adrian and the garda had disappeared by now and then 4 more women passed me. I had nothing left to go with them and all I was hoping was to maintain the pace to the finish. I felt a bit better on the last k. Probably cause it's mostly downhill until you reach the roundabout. A lad in a red t-shirt sprinted past me before the start of the last uphill bit to the finish. I didn't want anyone else passing me and I managed to summon up a bit more energy to the finish.

Gun time: 42:50
    Position: 188/424

That's 4 seconds faster than my time in 2013 when I was in the middle of Limerick marathon training. It's a bit disappointing that after 2 years I'm pretty much at the same level I was then!

Splits: 6:47, 6:51, 6:40, 7:03, 6:57, 7:02 (6:35)

I did a little cool down jog of about 10 minutes and then headed back to catch up with the others. Nice to meet everyone but I wasn't really zoned in so apologies if I seemed a bit distant. Didn't stay for too long cause I wanted to go for a swim.

Swim: 1.3k

200 easy
    2 x 50 torpedo
    2 x 50 sw
    2 x 50 one arm extension
    2 x 50 sw
    2 x 50 side kick
    2 x 50 sw
    2 x 50 shoulder tap
    2 x 50 sw
    150 easy
    150 backstroke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's a PB for amount of times mentioned in someone else's race report.

Nice report and good running. I think it was a good race for you given you've been focusing more on swimming than running recently!

adrian522 wrote: »
    There's a PB for amount of times mentioned in someone else's race report.

Nice report and good running. I think it was a good race for you given you've been focusing more on swimming than running recently!

Haha thanks Adrian. I had a good position to see how you were running and it was interesting to watch you and the garda lad push on. Once we turned out of the wind ye seemed to really quicken away from me :D

You have to take into account you had a fairly serious hip issue last year, coming back from an injury like that is like starting running from zero again. With all the swimming your doing i'd be amazed if you dont see big improvement in your times by years end. If you'd only knock that adventure/hide & go seek stuff on the head!!

that's a great time anyway, even if not quite a PB :)

You have to take into account you had a fairly serious hip issue last year, coming back from an injury like that is like starting running from zero again. With all the swimming your doing i'd be amazed if you dont see big improvement in your times by years end. If you'd only knock that adventure/hide & go seek stuff on the head!!
    Ah ya I know. I'm just having a whinge ;)

I'll give it till the end of the year so and if I don't see massive improvement I'll be knocking at your door :D

Do you want to tell my team mates .....

• Advertisement
Advertisement