Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

annapr wrote: »
    that's a great time anyway, even if not quite a PB :)

Thanks Anna :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Meh so you're faster now than when you were marathon training? I did a 10k in Feb and passed the 9k mark at my 10k pb, set when I was marathon training too. Wanna swap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Do you want to tell my team mates .....
    tell us what?! I have a few giant tins of whoop ass in a press if necessary ;)

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Meh so you're faster now than when you were marathon training? I did a 10k in Feb and passed the 9k mark at my 10k pb, set when I was marathon training too. Wanna swap?

You shouldn't have been so bloody fast when you were marathon training :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You shouldn't have been so bloody fast when you were marathon training :p

Blame Meno and trying to keep.up with you.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Blame Meno and trying to keep.up with you.

You flatter me. I remember you running some savage times before Limerick ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Still, not a bad run yesterday CM. As others have said, you've had a long term injury and also been concentrating on swimming. Have you started a structured running plan yet? That will pay off...as will joining a club ;) (I know there are not enough hours in the day :rolleyes: )

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Still, not a bad run yesterday CM. As others have said, you've had a long term injury and also been concentrating on swimming. Have you started a structured running plan yet? That will pay off...as will joining a club ;) (I know there are not enough hours in the day :rolleyes: )

Thanks Dg. I have a plan but I often change it depending on how I'm feeling. I think I just need to be patient. The club thing is something I've been thinking about. The most suitable one is too far. There is one nearer but just looking at their web page I'm not sure if it would be much good. It seems to be mostly for juniors and focussed on distances up to a mile. They have a fit4life group meeting on Thursdays but I don't think that would be much use to me. I probably need to go down there ;)

Sunday:

7m @ 9:24

Legs were feeling good but breathing was crap. My nose is blocked.

Weekly totals

Run: 36.5m
    Swim: 9.7k
    Core: 30 min

Monday:

Run: 4.2m @ 10:06

Same as yesterday. Legs good breathing crap. Luckily I had a recovery run planned anyway :D

Swim: 2.4k

"*Day 1* Open Water Practice day
    200 warm up
    600m Sighting practise as:
    Pick a stationary object down the other end of the pool- an exit, a chair, a particular window, etc. Swim 25 (or 50 in a LC pool) and immediately find that object when you come up for air every second breath. Then swim back down the pool "Tarzan", front crawl keeping your head out of the water. This is tough!
    Summary: One length sighting, one length Tarzan, alternate for 600m.
    2 min rest
    600m straight swim up and down- but you cannot touch the wall at any time (so turn without touching)
    2 min rest
    6*100 swim steady pace, 15s rest between each
    400 choice warm down

Didn't like the look of this when I saw it. Way outside my comfort zone! I wasn't in Roscrea today so I was going to leave it till tomorrow but I couldn't face the thought of it hanging over me so I went this evening. The first half was the worst. The sighting was awkward. I didn't like breathing every two. It made me feel panicky so I changed to BE 4. I had picked a sign on the wall which was grand when I was breathing to that side but sometimes I forgot that I was to BE 4 and I went back to breathing every 3 and then I got a bit mixed up. The Tarzon was fine. That's how I used to swim! After the first length I found it was easier when I was rotating my body more. The 600 without touching the wall was also awkward especially when there was people standing at the wall. I had to put my feet down for a few of them and it broke my rhythm which I didn't like. The last 4 I had the lane to myself and I got my turn going really well :D Dory gave us a kick drill to do in February where we kick on our backs with our arms stretched back behind our heads and our hands clasped. I could never manage to do it unless I had my hands by my sides but tonight I got 2 x 25m done :D #becomingmorebouyant :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

... The sighting was awkward. I didn't like breathing every two....
    "find that object when you come up for air every second breath".

When I first started swimming under a coach, he'd often tell me to do things and I'd get 'em mixed up. He was very patient, but sometimes I'd catch him looking at me from the bank, shaking his head with a wry smile...

... I just did that shake head and cock-eyed smile ;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    When I first started swimming under a coach, he'd often tell me to do things and I'd get 'em mixed up. He was very patient, but sometimes I'd catch him looking at me from the bank, shaking his head with a wry smile...

I'll ask next time ..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

I didn't understand any of that so I'm very impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I can't swim so I don't understand of this but I do understand that it sounds bloody hard, well done :)

I didn't understand any of that so I'm very impressed!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    I can't swim so I don't understand of this but I do understand that it sounds bloody hard, well done :)

Thanks guys. I could have done with understanding it a bit better myself judging from this ;)
    |
    |
    |
    |
    \/
    Kurt Godel wrote: »

Tuesday:

Swim: 2.35k

200 warm up
    200 drills (choice)
    50m fingertip
    50m shoulder tap
    50m thigh tap
    50m pb
    2*50 fist, 15s rest
    2*50 fist + pb, 15s rest
    100 MAX
    In on 2:02*
    2*50 fist, 15s rest
    2*50 fist + pb, 15s rest
    75m sw
    200 MAX
    In on 4:25
    2*50 fist, 15s rest
    2*50 fist + pb, 15s rest
    100 MAX
    In on 2:05
    2*50 fist, 15s rest
    2*50 fist + pb, 15s rest
    200 MAX
    In on 4:34
    200 pb
    275 alternating fc and backstroke

I did a slightly different session to what I was supposed to! I meant to check when I was in the car park but I forgot and then when I got into the pool I wasn't 100% sure. I was going to do it as intended but I thought no that's seems way too short so I figured it must be 4 *50 fist instead of 2*50. I was a bit lazy after the drills and I decided to do 2 of the 4 fist reps with the pull bouy so it wasn't that much extra anyway. The lifeguard stopped me after 75m into the first 200 MAX because he wanted to move the lanes to the other side of the pool. I thought I might as well start over instead of stopping, waiting and then continuing on. It ruined my buzz though :(
    I knocked another couple of secs off my 100m PB but I couldn't hold the pace on the second MAX for either. Not sure why. I thought I was swimming well and I wasn't that tired. Not the end of the world though - it's still faster than I was swimming last month :)
    I had 9 missed calls when I got back to the car. Had to go straight into work and the day kind of slipped away from me after that. Was going to run but I'm just finished dinner now so I'll leave it. Probably could do with the rest anyway going by my paces for the last couple of days ;)

Wednesday:

Run: 10.3m @ 8:58

I was going to get up early and get this done but I woke during the night and felt like crap and all running plans were discarded. I was grand this morning though and since I'm racing a local 10k on Sunday I thought I'd get my long run out of the way. Around 3 miles in I started to feel pretty grim and I had to leave the 'main' road in case I threw up. Or worse. I can't remember ever wanting to stop so much on a run as I did for the next 3 miles. Constant waves of nausea interspersed with periods were I felt not too bad. I didn't stop because there was a scary voice telling me to 'KEEP RUNNING :mad:' and anyway I would have only got cold walking. There was a couple of times when I could have taken a shorter road towards home but oddly enough these points always came when I was feeling not too bad and suddenly after about 7 miles I suddenly felt really good and the pace picked up and I started to wonder was it all just a figment of my imagination :confused:

Thursday:

Flying it today :D

Run 1: 4m @ 8:33

Short but sweet ..... my best training run for a couple of weeks.

Swim: 2.9k

200 warm up
    200 drills (kick drills)
    200 swim,
    300 pb, alternating 50m BE 3 and 50m BE 5
    400 swim, every 4th length BE 5
    500 pb, alternating 50m BE 3 and 50m BE 5
    400 swim, every 4th length BE 5
    300 pb, alternating 50m BE 3 and 50m BE 5
    200 swim,
    200 backstroke

I was delighted when I got finished in work earlier than I thought I would. Half an hour makes all the difference! Pool was lovely and quiet and I had the lane all to myself. Felt like I was moving well.

Run 2: 3m @ 10:14

It was a fab evening. Too nice to be stuck inside studying so I threw on the runners and headed out for a little recovery run :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Might have a bit of time on my hands soon Dora, might need to buy myself some armbands, any recommendations :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Might have a bit of time on my hands soon Dora, might need to buy myself some armbands, any recommendations :)

TbL

"Follow me!" said the rabbit to Alice... ;)

TbL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH8ceIt_ROslaGcF7q_COkkDeBxS1fvJJpn0gxunUVyxF_iKim

I'm sure you'd look hot in a pair of these sweety :D

Or you can jump down the hole to Wonderland ;)

Friday:

Run 1: 5.5m @ 8:47

Fluffy the sheep said hello as I was running past her field. She was looking for her breakfast ;) I was going to do some strides but I needed the loo so I did the last half mile at MP instead :o

Run 2: 3.1m @ 10:07

Managed to squeeze this in when I came home from work. Delighted with myself :)

Saturday:

Swim: 2.55k

I was up at 5 to work horses which meant I got to the pool as soon as it opened which meant it wasn't as busy and there were no kids to nick my pull bouy :) I'm happy with my swimming this week. I feel like I'm higher in the water and my stroke is better.

200 warm up
    150 drills
    100 sw
    200 pb
    300 sw
    400 pb
    400 sw
    300 pb
    200 sw
    100 pb
    200 alternating fc and backstroke

Sunday:

Run: Shinrone 10k

44:06 (6:53, 7:10, 7:17, 7:07, 7:10, 7:04, 6:36 )
    First woman :D

I gave my quad a bit of a twinge last night and my hips were feeling a bit tight this morning but I used to work around here and I thought I could win it. I didn't think there'd be too much competition. So my plan was to take it as handy as I could. Dad was coming too for his first 10k race. I think he was a bit anxious cause he's never even run 10k in training especially when I started winding him up about the hills :D

There was only about 40 people for the 10k. There was a 5k as well. Maybe more people did that. It started in a different place and took a different route so we didn't see them at all. I lined up behind the men in singlets. Thought I recognised one of them but it was only at the prize giving I realised it was Zico. Three women jumped off in front of me. The first k is fast. It's a gradual downhill and the wind was behind us. I was happy to sit in behind them for a while cause they didn't look like they could hold that pace for 10k. After about 800m I moved past two of them. I was feeling pretty comfortable but I wasn't sure now should I sit for a bit longer or just keep the effort solid. I haven't done any speedwork since the Kclub so I decided on the latter and after the 1k mark, before we turned down out of Shinrone I moved past the other woman. She was breathing quite hard and I reckoned I had the race in the bag now. There was two guys in blue shirts about 30m in front of me but it was going to be too much effort to catch them so I was on my own for most of the rest of the race. After 2k I had a quick look behind and saw the second woman was about 20m back. I actually was surprised she was still so near.

There was a longish hill before the 4k mark and the first water station and towards the top I had another look and there was no one behind me so I stopped and walked through the water station so I could get a good drink in as it was quite hot and my mouth was dry. The next few k were nice. I was still comfortable and the km signs that were marked on the road with chalk seemed to be flying by. One of the blue shirt guys had moved up to the guy ahead in a red shirt and after a bit he went by him too. The other blue shirt guy seemed to be under more pressure and he was slowly coming back to me so my new goal for the race was to finish in front of him. Towards the end of the 8th k he was about 10m in front. I knew we were turning back towards the village again and I moved to the other side of the road. Blue shirt guy stayed were he was and I went past him on the turn. There wasn't too much fight in him. He was breathing hard and we were running into a headwind and there were a few hills to negotiate now. There were a few people out supporting which was nice and there was a nice little downhill right before the finish and I picked up the pace a little as I crossed the line. Second woman was 2 minutes back and third was another 40 sec. Dad ran a great race to finish in 59:48. Can't wait to tell my brother in law. His pb is 1:02 :D

Swim: 2.5k

Alternating 200 sw and 200 pb. Really enjoyed this. It was very relaxing and I lost count a couple of times :D

Weekly totals:

Run: 39.8m
    Swim: 12.7k
    Core: 30 min .... MUST DO MORE CORE NEXT WEEK!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Any Tri's in the plan?

With your run and your swim progression lately you could do well.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Any Tri's in the plan?

With your run and your swim progression lately you could do well.

Thanks pointer. No not at the moment. I have no plans for this year other than the Beast in August :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done Kate, nice win. What your training deserves in fairness.

Great stuff, sounds like you played the racing game beautifully there :)

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done Kate, nice win. What your training deserves in fairness.

Thanks Barry. How did the 5k go?

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Great stuff, sounds like you played the racing game beautifully there :)

Thanks a mill. Well done in the relays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thanks Barry. How did the 5k go?

Report just up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice racing. Wrapped up after the first k? That's confidence. :)

Hold on, did you say Zico? The Brazilian Zico? In Shinrone?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice racing. Wrapped up after the first k? That's confidence. :)

Hold on, did you say Zico? The Brazilian Zico? In Shinrone?

I don't know any Brazilian Zico's. Is he a poxy footballer or something? I was talking about this Zico :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done Kate on the win, great stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Another win! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Another podium finish, wohoo, well done :):)

Another win, nice one! How many is that now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Thanks pointer. No not at the moment. I have no plans for this year other than the Beast in August :)

How much swimming is there in the beast?

Oh and well done on the win ;)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well done Kate on the win, great stuff :)
    Another win! Well done!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Another podium finish, wohoo, well done :):)

Thanks guys :D

Another win, nice one! How many is that now?
    Thanks OP. Eh 5 but none of them were that competitive :o

Hope you're all set for the weekend :)

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    How much swimming is there in the beast?

Oh and well done on the win ;)
    Who could say :pac: I would hazard a guess that the swimming will be kept to a minimum but I enjoy swimming, it keeps me very fit and my muscles very supple and I can only run so much at the moment anyway :)

Cheers :)

Instead of thinking about distance and time, Kurt wants our swimming this week to focus on how we're feeling in the water. Each stroke is the beginning and the end rather than the means to the end. Or something like that. He lost me when he started quoting Plato. Anyhow I thought I may as well do the same with my running. So a week with no numbers :eek:

Monday:

Rest

I slept really well and for a very long time but I still felt shattered when I woke up so decided the best thing to do would be to recharge the batteries.

Tuesday:

Swim

Technique/Balance/Position:

Lots and lots of drills and stroke work. Ended up being quite a long session. My body position is heaps better in the water and I can do the balance drills without swallowing a bucket load of water. In summary I felt very comfortable today and I find the swimming so rewarding because all I have to do to keep improving is keep swimming. Sweet :D

Run

Easy with strides

My legs were a bit tired because I did a lot of kick drills when I was swimming but the further I went the more comfortable I felt and the strides felt easy.

Wednesday:

Double run day

First was steady paced, the second was recovery paced. Felt good on both even though it was very warm on the recovery run.

Thanks OP. Eh 5 but none of them were that competitive :o

Hope you're all set for the weekend :)

Class, many more to come I'm sure. I'm as set as I'm gonna be, it's in the lap of the gods now. All I can do is keep the crazy thoughts at bay for the next few days, easier said than done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Congrats on the race win K. :)

RedRunner wrote: »
    Congrats on the race win K. :)
    Thanks Robbie. I'm so sorry to read on your log that you're having bother with your back again. I hope you get it sorted asap.

Thursday:

Run A.M: Easy with strides
    Run P.M: Recovery

I slept really badly last night. Worrying about my mare, the original career move. She's lost a heap of weight over the winter. I'm hoping it's just because she was out with 4 others and they were bullying her and not letting her eat. The last couple of days I've moved her into another field and fed her nuts then I've done my run while she's eating and moved her back to the others on my way home. It actually works out quite handy. Tonight she had a good dollop of vegetable oil on her nuts. Horses only have a relatively small stomach and they don't have a vomit reflex so if they eat too much too quickly they get gastric dilation, colic, death. The oil is good because it increases the calorific value but you can keep the volume low and horses are very efficient fat metabolisers. She looks a bit perkier today anyway!

Swim: Breathing/Hypoxic day

Started off with some easy lengths and some kick drills. I do these without the board and I find it gets me in a higher position in the water. I did a pyramid breathing set then which I managed well. Have to keep the pace very easy doing these and I was trying not to lift my head too high when I was breathing as that's one of the things that was mentioned to me in the swim workshop. I was told as well that I needed to focus on rotating my body more as that would give me a higher elbow in the recovery phase and a more streamlined position so I was trying to concentrate on that as well. I did a hypoxic set then but I wasn't focussed enough and I was getting distracted and I found it hard. You have to be really in the zone doing it and I wasn't. I used the pull bouy then and did a longish set alternating my breathing pattern at regular intervals. Finished off with some back stroke. Good ish session :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thursday:

Run 1: Easy with strides
    Run 2: Recovery

I slept really badly last night. Worrying about my mare, the original career move. She's lost a heap of weight over the winter. I'm hoping it's just because she was out with 4 others and they were bullying her and not letting her eat. The last couple of days I've moved her into another field and fed her nuts then I've done my run while she's eating and moved her back to the others on my way home. It actually works out quite handy. Tonight she had a good dollop of vegetable oil on her nuts. Horses only have a relatively small stomach and they don't have a vomit reflex so if they eat too much too quickly they get gastric dilation, colic, death. The oil is good because it increases the calorific value but you can keep the volume low and horses are very efficient fat metabolisers. She looks a bit perkier today anyway!

Swim: Breathing/Hypoxic day

Started off with some easy lengths and some kick drills. I do these without the board and I find it gets me in a higher position in the water. I did a pyramid breathing set then which I managed well. Have to keep the pace very easy doing these and I was trying not to lift my head too high when I was breathing as that's one of the things that was mentioned to me in the swim workshop. I was told as well that I needed to focus on rotating my body more as that would give me a higher elbow in the recovery phase and a more streamlined position so I was trying to concentrate on that as well. I did a hypoxic set then but I wasn't focussed enough and I was getting distracted and I found it hard. You have to be really in the zone doing it and I wasn't. I used the pull bouy then and did a longish set alternating my breathing pattern at regular intervals. Finished off with some back stroke. Good ish session :)

Might try this myself madam Dora ;)

Nice race, there must be something in that swimming/paddling lark!

TbL

Might try this myself madam Dora ;)

Nice race, there must be something in that swimming/paddling lark!

TbL
    I'm not sure if this has a double meaning so I'll say nothing!

Friday:

I knew I'd have a handy day in work so I was able to get a lot done today.

Run A.M

Early morning long run. Went a bit further than previously. It was worth dragging myself out of bed for this. A crisp fresh morning, the sun was shining and the only sound to be heard was birds twittering happily in the trees. My legs were sluggish for most of the first half of the run. A combination of residual fatigue and a gradual rise in elevation. I flew home though :D Legs were quite tired when I'd finished. No ominous aches or pains but they definitely knew they'd worked.

Swim: Endurance

In keeping with the adage 'Hard days hard' I decided to make this a fairly long swim. I hadn't recovered much from the run as I'd been going with horses and then had to go to work and even though work was handy I was still knackered. Felt like I had to work a bit harder in the water but I kept the pace nice and steady so I was barely out of breath and I concentrated on my catch and pull. I'm happy that even though it was a long session and I didn't take many breaks I kept my form pretty well throughout.

Run P.M

Legs felt rejuvenated after swimming and I headed out on a recovery run this evening. Had to wait for her ladyship to eat anyway and I thought I may as well be running.

Rest day tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement

How is (original) career move today?

Advertisement