Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    How is (original) career move today?

She's good. Thanks for asking. I'm happy she's just not been eating cause she's afraid of the other horses. She's a silly mare ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

She's good. Thanks for asking. I'm happy she's just not been eating cause she's afraid of the other horses. She's a silly mare ;)

Makes two of ye........

tang1 wrote: »
    Makes two of ye........

:p

Saturday:

Bike: dusted off the cobwebs and took the MTB out for a spin. I need to get my ass used to the saddle again :D

Sunday:

Run:

One of the guys who organised the Orange Hill 6k messaged me on Friday to say they were going up the mountain near Kinnitty on Sunday and did I want to come. Sure I thought. Good opportunity to get some badly needed biking done. Except it turns out we weren't going on bikes :eek: but it was too late to back out. I did pity my poor legs. They've had a tough week. But I thought it won't be too bad cause a couple of the girls were behind me in the 6k so the pace would be handy. Except the girls couldn't make it. So it was just me and Derek who runs 5k in 17:xx and does the 10k loop in 39:xx and hasn't run all week so his legs are nice and fresh :eek::eek: I knew this was going to hurt after the first little hill and my breathing was already in the red and Derek is yapping away. I'm thinking I can breathe or I can talk but I can't do both :cool: Next 3k were all uphill. I had to stop for a breather a couple of times. Derek's slow is my 5k pace. I know people say you should train with people who are faster than you but this isn't what I signed up for on a Sunday morning. Not only were we booting it up the hills, Derek was making me fly on the downhills as well. I was barely getting my breath back and after about 8k my legs felt like jelly. The downhill bits all had sneaky short hills in them as well. I had to pump my arms and lift my knees to get up them and there was a big long drag to finish off with. Bloody hell was I glad to finish that :eek:

Swim:

"*Day 1*
    200m warm up
    10*50 as (25 hard, 25 easy, 10s rest)
    4*50fist
    2 mins rest
    20 min TT (start steady, and build the pace after 10 mins. I don't want anyone getting slower/tired after 10 mins, so judge your pace). Note your distance.
    4*50 backstroke
    200 choice warm down

I have a busy week next week so I really wanted to get this done today. After the run I was having second thoughts but I drove to the pool and the water is good for me so might as well swim and then I just started the session on autopilot. Felt like stopping after 5 of the 25hard/25 easy but there was a lovely man in my lane who kept stopping to let me go on because I was swimming a bit faster than him so I had to keep going. The TT was hard work. If I didn't feel like vomiting after the run I definitely did after this swim. Lovely man was lovely cause I needed to pass him three times and each time he just waited at the wall for me. Pretty happy getting 850m done in 20:22 (10:09/10:13). I think if I kept going I would have knocked 40-60s off my 1000m PB :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Which loop did you do?

Was it the waymarked one at the back of the hotel or something different altogether?

There's a lovely 25k run from Clonaslee to Kinnitty Castle, beautiful but tough and you'd need someone to bring you back to your car (unless you fancy a 50k). Perfect for a group, leave one car at the start and one at the finish.

• Advertisement

pointer28 wrote: »
    Which loop did you do?

Was it the waymarked one at the back of the hotel or something different altogether?

There's a lovely 25k run from Clonaslee to Kinnitty Castle, beautiful but tough and you'd need someone to bring you back to your car (unless you fancy a 50k). Perfect for a group, leave one car at the start and one at the finish.
    No we drove up to the forest outside Kinnitty and did a 10k loop up there. Lots of cyclists about.

Do you know the name of it?

Might be the same loop, public car park on the side of the road a couple of km's outside the village? It passes by the back of the hotel and through a couple of deer gates, nice surface but a solid 3k of climbing.

Do you know the name of it?

Might be the same loop, public car park on the side of the road a couple of km's outside the village? It passes by the back of the hotel and through a couple of deer gates, nice surface but a solid 3k of climbing.
    Don't know the name sorry. There was no car park. We just stopped by the road half way up a hill and went in by some barriers. I don't think it was near the hotel. Derek was saying you could do a 20k loop on the bike going through Cadamstown that would finish coming down the hill.

Sounds like it's worth exploring, I don't suppose you have a garmin link?

Sounds like it's worth exploring, I don't suppose you have a garmin link?

I don't sorry. I left my watch in my pool bag. If you're heading up there some day give me a buzz and I can show you*

*I'm not renowned for my sense of direction though ;)

• Advertisement

Monday:

Rest

I love my rest days :D

Tuesday:

Swim:

*Day 2*
    200m warm up
    4*50fist
    2 mins rest
    500m TT (steady pace throughout). 11:23*
    2 min rest
    300m hypoxic as 25m 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3 (number of breaths you can take between walls. Hyperventilate before each, swim slow and steady, full recovery at each wall)
    200m fs

Tough enough swim. Felt like I was dragging myself through the water a lot. Didn't pace the TT as well as I wanted to. First two lengths were two fast and I had to really work hard to keep it going. Have to be happy with the time though considering my 100m PB for March was 2:14 and that averages out about 2:17 pace for the 500. I know I can do it faster though!

Distance|Nov '14|Dec|Jan|Feb|March|April|May|June'15
    100m|2:49|2:38|2:32|2:19|2:14|||
    400m|||11:24|9:53|9:43|||
    500m|||||12:12|11:23||
    1000m|||31:49||23:34|||

Run: 3.2m recovery

Wednesday:

Run: 6.5m easy with strides

Zero motivation to do this today. Was going to do it when I came home from work but I went for a nap instead. Then it started to rain. It was windy. And just when I was thinking this ain't getting done today, the sun peeped through the clouds and the rain stopped and off I went. My mare isn't eating very well so when I had finished I ran back down the road and threw a headcollar on her. Then I ran back up the road with her and put her in a field near the house where I can keep a better eye on her. She's been reunited with her son who had a little operation last week. They don't seem to know each other. She's afraid of him. He's afraid of her. Right now they're at opposite sides of the field.

Thursday:

Swim:

Day 3
    200m warm up
    4*50fist
    2 mins rest
    100m MAX, 1030s rest 2:01
    200m easy
    100m MAX, 1030s rest 2:04
    200m easy
    100m MAX, 1030s rest 2:05
    200m easy
    100m MAX, 1030s rest 2:07
    250m alternating fs and backstroke

Distance|Nov '14|Dec|Jan|Feb|March|April|May|June'15
    100m|2:49|2:38|2:32|2:19|2:14|2:01||
    400m|||11:24|9:53|9:43|||
    500m|||||12:12|11:23||
    1000m|||31:49||23:34|||

I thought I'd get my 100m PB under 2min this month but more patience is required. Goal for next month is to get it under 1:55 :)

April review:

Run: 146m
    Swim: 43.2k
    Core: :o not enough!
    Races: 3

Ran ok in the kclub and won the other two albeit there wasn't much competition. I wasn't in great form at the start of April. All my runs were a chore and the paces were dismal. I'm still not back to the dizzying heights of March where I was doing some nice sessions. In fact I only did one session in April and that was last Sunday!

May plan:

I'm doing a local race tomorrow, the John Kelly memorial in Loughmore. Distance between 7 and 7.5k depending on which sign you read ;) I think it'll be a good race. Winning times from last year seem fast, men and women both around 25 minutes. Might do a local 5k race on Sunday as well if I feel like it. Then a couple of weeks training till the Poulmucka 8k on the 22nd May. I must get on my bike and do a few long cycles or my ass won't know what hit it come August! I want to maintain the swim volume and the core work has to restart .... I've joined the 14 day plankathon for a bit of motivation :D Any more takers?? Dubgal I know you love a challenge ;)

Not taking me up on my offer Sunday? I'll only be running on one leg, no better time to beat me!!!

Not taking me up on my offer Sunday? I'll only be running on one leg, no better time to beat me!!!
    Haha I wouldn't like to beat you when you had an excuse :P

And I can't be bothered driving to Dublin :D

Haha I wouldn't like to beat you when you had an excuse :P

And I can't be bothered driving to Dublin :D

No bother, cant blame you for not wanting to drive to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

But I hate the plank......."THEN THE PLANK IS FOR YOU" :eek: I'm not signing up to something that can read my mind!! :eek:*

*ok I'm a teensy bit tempted........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I've joined the 14 day plankathon for a bit of motivation :D Any more takers?? Dubgal I know you love a challenge ;)

Ah go on so - just signed up - I fecking hate the plank :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Feck ya.

Friday:

Loughmore 7.4k race :)

31:18 (6:28, 6:50, 6:55, 7:02, 6:49)

3rd woman :D

Ran a pretty good race. Didn't get to stick to my plan which was to keep to 4:10/k early on and I paid for it a bit in the later stages of the race. Wouldn't have beaten the first two anyway and 4th was a couple of minutes back. Happy enough with the time.

Edit: I changed the distance. The official race posters advertised it as a 7.4k race. I got 7.39k on my garmin but I forgot we went under a railway bridge twice which would account for the discrepancy

Well done Kate, another podium finish. Kinda glad you made the decision not to travel Sunday, didnt fancy my ass being handed back to me by you!!

• Advertisement

Well done Kate, another podium finish. Kinda glad you made the decision not to travel Sunday, didnt fancy my ass being handed back to me by you!!
    Thanks Barry :D Ha the old reverse psychology eh :D

Well done CM, you're going bloody well, at least the swimming is going to some use ;)
    How's that mare of yours doing?

Well done CM, you're going bloody well, at least the swimming is going to some use ;)
    How's that mare of yours doing?

Cheers. Ya God bless the swimming :D

She's doing much better thanks. I think she likes being back up around the yard and she's stopped making evil faces at her son. When I got back tonight they were both in the same corner of the field.....progress :D

Cheers. Ya God bless the swimming :D

She's doing much better thanks. I think she likes being back up around the yard and she's stopped making evil faces at her son. When I got back tonight they were both in the same corner of the field.....progress :D

Aw cool, she has me worried damn her :)

Saturday:

Swim: 1.8k

200 sw
    250 pb
    250 sw
    350 pb
    250 sw
    500 pb

This was just a recovery swim. Didn't want to do too much as the swimming is making my right forearm sore and my ribs were a bit tender from doing planks. There was a guy in the lane doing a nice session. He was a bit faster than me (not much though ;)) and I stopped at the wall a couple of times to let him past and practice my drafting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Another podium finish! Brilliant running as usual :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Friday:

Loughmore 7.4k race :)

31:18 (6:28, 6:50, 6:55, 7:02, 6:49)

3rd woman :D

Ran a pretty good race. Didn't get to stick to my plan which was to keep to 4:10/k early on and I paid for it a bit in the later stages of the race. Wouldn't have beaten the first two anyway and 4th was a couple of minutes back. Happy enough with the time.

Edit: I changed the distance. The official race posters advertised it as a 7.4k race. I got 7.39k on my garmin but I forgot we went under a railway bridge twice which would account for the discrepancy

well done again! but what's up with that distance????

annapr wrote: »
    well done again! but what's up with that distance????
    Thanks Anna :) Tis a bit random alright! It's a great race though but unfortunately it wasn't very well supported this year. I think the GLR took a good few club runners from it and maybe the distance didn't appeal to walkers etc. Shame really. I wrote a post about it on the best value races thread cause I thought it might get more readers than here!

Sunday:

Johnstown 5k race: 20:50

First woman :D:D:D:D:D:D

Splits: 6:29, 6:31, 7:11, 5:36 :D

Felt really good doing my warm up. I thought I could run a fast time today because the course looked fast. We started in the school just outside the town, bit of a drag for the first k, flatish for the next 500m then a gradual decline for 1k to the turn around point then back up hill for a 1k but a fastish finishing k. There was only one other woman doing a warm up and I took her to be my opposition. She looked very lean and had a DCM t-shirt on so I figured I might be hard pressed to get the win today.
    I lined up at the front and away we went. I wanted to keep it handy early on and it was a little bit congested with a good few kids tearing off up the front. As we turned out of the school DCM lady went past me. I was happy enough with that and I slotted in behind her. Not too near cause I hate when I'm racing and there's someone breathing really heavily right behind me. She seemed strong going up through the town and my breathing was quite heavy and I thought maybe I should just back off a touch. But then I thought if I can't stay with her now I'm not going to win so might as well put in the effort now. It got easier when we got out of the town and the road levelled off and I felt more comfortable now. We passed the 1k mark in 4:04 and I was happy. Shortly after this I started feeling a bit too comfortable and I had a decision to make now. I could sit in behind her for another while and take it easy or I could go on and risk blowing up. I decided to go :D and as I moved past her I could hear from her breathing that she was working hard but not in the red. Went through 2k in 8:04 and I was feeling strong so thought I might have a chance of sub 20 today. I couldn't hear DCM behind me and I was looking forward to the turnaround point not only because it would be the halfway point but it would give me a good idea of my lead.

The turnaround point came and it was nice because it was the whole width of the main road so I didn't feel like it disrupted my stride pattern too much. But to my disgust we had turned into quite a strong headwind :mad: Grrr fecking wind. I could feel the extra effort required immediately and I was cursing myself for not staying put behind DCM. There was three guys about 40m ahead of me but no one else near and DCM was only about 20m back off me. She had no cover either though so she was going to have to work every bit as hard as me and make up the 20m. Saw my Dad and my friend and got a cheer from them and then passed the 3k mark in 11:56. I was working hard now though. The wind and the steady drag were really taking it out of me and I could feel the pace slowing and my bloody lace had opened. I could see out of the corner of my eye that DCM was slowly closing the gap as well. My legs felt ok but my breathing was really catching me. Past a guy in gaa shorts who had stopped to walk. I could see the other lads in front were tiring a bit too and the gap between us was staying the same. Had to take a couple of deep breaths to try and get my breathing under control and it seemed to help. Fourth k came in 16:36. To be honest I was hurting a lot now and although I fleetingly thought feck sub 20 is gone I actually was more concerned with just finishing the damn race. Just get up this last hill I thought and then it's downhill to the finish.
    Up the hill and past the petrol station and then just as we were coming back into the town I could hear DCM right behind me. Lots of conflicting thoughts in my head now 'Second is ok', 'You can do it', 'I had a hard enough race on Friday', 'Just keep the effort up, she still has a few metres to find', 'Just let her go by', 'Dig in K, come on you have to fight'. I could hear her breathing right behind me as we past through the centre of Johnstown and I didn't think I was going to be able to hold her. I got up on the footpath about 300m from the school and she was right on my shoulder. My legs seemed to have taken on a life of their own though cause the pace had really quickened up. We had to take a left hand turn back into the school so I made sure to keep on the left hand side of the path so that DCM would have to come around me. There was a woman cheering just before the turn into the school and all I could think was You're in my bloody way :D. DCM hadn't managed to get up to me and when we turned I was able to kick again to the finish line and open up a bit of a gap between us. Such a buzz crossing the line in front :D Took about 5 minutes to get my breathing back to normal and a concerned steward asked me twice if I was ok. Absolutely thrilled with this race. Not my fastest time but one of my best races by a long way. I really had to dig deep at the end and I'm so proud of myself. I think I really earned my 50 euro prize :D Dad got a shiny new pb of 26:14 as well :D

Bike: 23.5k

Easy spinning all the way plus a stop at the siopa for some chocolate :D

Weekly totals

Run: 21.1m
    Swim: 5.85k
    Bike: 23.5k
    Core: 14:15min of planks over the last 3 days

Volume is down a good bit but it was supposed to be a recovery week anyway.

• Advertisement

You made the correct decision in not traveling, serious well done K, your on fire at present. Long may it continue for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Awesome CM, gosh that was so exciting. Even though you'd said first Woman at the top of your report I was still hoping DCM wasn't going to catch you :)

And well done to your Dad too, he's flying.

You made the correct decision in not traveling, serious well done K, your on fire at present. Long may it continue for you.

Thanks Barry. I'm looking forward to our showdown in Mullingar :D
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Awesome CM, gosh that was so exciting. Even though you'd said first Woman at the top of your report I was still hoping DCM wasn't going to catch you :)

And well done to your Dad too, he's flying.

Thanks BG. I'm still buzzing after it! Sorry you didn't get to do the 5k in Tallaght. Hope you're feeling better soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done Kate - great racing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Well done K, that's a super result. Sounds like a great buzz being in a race like that battling with DCM and making race decisions on the fly. Well done again :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Excellent racing, I love how the wind as a complete surprise to you when you turned around :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Another win, already!! Superwoman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Very well done, and your Dad is making great progress too!

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Well done Kate - great racing :)

Thanks Joe. Hope you're enjoying the celebrations:D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Well done K, that's a super result. Sounds like a great buzz being in a race like that battling with DCM and making race decisions on the fly. Well done again :)

Thanks Marty. Its a great buzz alright .... when it works out! I'd have been kicking myself if I was beaten :D

adrian522 wrote: »
    Excellent racing, I love how the wind as a complete surprise to you when you turned around :)

Thanks Adrian. Great running by you today as well. 19:xx not too far away for you ;) The wind was a surprise. There was no wind on my warmup! It's a conspiracy I tell ya :D

• Advertisement

Runchick wrote: »
    Another win, already!! Superwoman :D

Thanks A :D I wish I was superwoman I could do with some wings ;)

Very well done, and your Dad is making great progress too!

Thanks hillside. Ya he's flying it and really enjoying it too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

when I saw your report, I said, that's wrong, she just did a race... well done on the win, especially so soon after the last race and great report! I found myself feeling a bit sorry for DCM :D

annapr wrote: »
    when I saw your report, I said, that's wrong, she just did a race... well done on the win, especially so soon after the last race and great report! I found myself feeling a bit sorry for DCM :D

Haha thanks. I may be taking the 'racing myself to fitness' approach a bit too far ;)

I know poor DCM. In one of my rare moments of compassion I actually felt a bit sorry for her too at the finish. She looked a bit gutted and what made it a bit worse was, nobody knew me but everyone knew her and thought she would win it so loads of people were coming up at the end to congratulate her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

What!? Racing on a Friday and then on a Sunday. Well now if I did that I know someone who'd be giving me a right talking to!;)

Well done on both results. Really enjoyed Sundays report too. It was like watching a football match and you are kicking every ball in your own head:) even though as Bungy girl said, we already knew the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I know poor DCM. In one of my rare moments of compassion I actually felt a bit sorry for her too at the finish. She looked a bit gutted and what made it a bit worse was, nobody knew me but everyone knew her and thought she would win it so loads of people were coming up at the end to congratulate her.

That should have made your victory all the sweeter! :D

Fantastic, every element of a real race there and you nailed it! And if I'm not mistaken, you need to get your lil ass over to the 10 round numbers table and plant a 3k time there?!

RedRunner wrote: »
    What!? Racing on a Friday and then on a Sunday. Well now if I did that I know someone who'd be giving me a right talking to!;)

Well done on both results. Really enjoyed Sundays report too. It was like watching a football match and you are kicking every ball in your own head:) even though as Bungy girl said, we already knew the result.

Thanks Robbie :D

In the style of all the great matriarchs it's 'Do as I say, not as i do' :D

Fantastic, every element of a real race there and you nailed it! And if I'm not mistaken, you need to get your lil ass over to the 10 round numbers table and plant a 3k time there?!

Thanks Dg :D It wasn't an official 3k split so doesn't count ;)

I see you had another fine medal haul again today!!!! Well done :D

Thanks Dg :D It wasn't an official 3k split so doesn't count ;)

I see you had another fine medal haul again today!!!! Well done :D

I thought it could? It's only for us non-rule-sticklers here so stick it on...

• Advertisement
Advertisement