Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I thought it could? It's only for us non-rule-sticklers here so stick it on...
    Nah I don't think I will because not only is it not an official split, the second k was downhill with the wind behind us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Well done CM :) two races and two podium finishes, great running and a nice report to boot.

Well done to your Dad too, he's flying it :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Well done CM :) two races and two podium finishes, great running and a nice report to boot.

Well done to your Dad too, he's flying it :)

Thanks Neady :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done CM - great training and racing going on at the moment, really impressed with how you toughed out the victory!

Duanington wrote: »
    Well done CM - great training and racing going on at the moment, really impressed with how you toughed out the victory!

Cheers D. Sometimes I wonder how hard do I actually push myself in races because really if I can run the last 200m @ 5:36 pace the pace on the 3rd mile shouldn't have dropped to 7:11!!

Monday:

Rest. Knackered. Did my planks though ;)

Tuesday:

Run: 5.5m @ 8:55

A nice head clearing run. I emailed my tutor to tell him that I haven't the foggiest idea of what one of my courses is about. I have two massive folders to get through and I told him I haven't even progressed beyond Unit 2. That was a lie. I haven't even progressed beyond Unit 1 :D It's like a different language :(

Swim: 3.4k

200m warm up
    8*50 as (25k, 25 choice drill, 10s rest)
    200s
    30s rest
    400pb
    30s rest
    600s
    30s rest
    800pb
    30s rest
    3*200s, 30s rest between each
    (aim for the steady pace throughout everything)
    200 backstroke

This was long (1hr 40min) and I was getting a bit tired towards the end.

Wednesday:

3.2m @ 10:14

I don't check my resting heart rate that often any more but I did Friday morning before the race in Loughmore and it was 44. Meant to check it Sunday but I forgot and it was 44 again this morning. I don't feel fully recovered though so I'm going to take it easy this week. The muscles in my right forearm are a bit sore after yesterday's swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done on the recent race(s), CM, just catching up now. Nail-biting report!

Thursday:

Run 1: 4m @ 8:45

Wasn't too bothered about doing this to be honest but when I got out and running it was nice. I had planned to do a bit more but my left glute started to feel uncomfortable after about 3 miles so I took the shortcut home. I don't think it's anything much, just a reminder to take it easy

Run 2: 4.25m @ 10:09

I jumped into bed for half an hour when I came home from the first run. Half an hour turned into 3 hours and although I had planned to go swimming I decided to give myself another day off because my arm is still sore and do a recovery run instead. I've adopted a stray cat. He's very cute and he follows me around in the mornings and afternoons when I'm doing the horses and then he sits outside the window when I'm in the kitchen. I had to sneak out the front door when I was heading out to do this because I didn't want him following me down to the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

People don't adopt cats. Cats adopt people. ;)

Friday:

Swim: 2.45k

200m warm up
    2*200 in twice the time of your March 100m PB = 4:28 30s rest after the first.
    In on 4:33, 4:34*
    * I miscounted and did 250 on this one
    90s rest
    4*100 each in the time of your March 100m PB = 2:14 15s rest between each.
    In on 2:10, 2:10, 2:10, 2:13
    90s rest
    8*50 each in half the time of your March 100m PB = 1:07 10s rest between each.
    In on 1:05, 1:04, 1:05, 1:04, 1:04, 1:04, 1:04, 1:04
    90s rest
    16*25 alt hard/easy (recover during the easy 25, no rest in between)
    200 backstroke

It was touch and go whether or not I could be bothered doing this today. I was working for a couple of hours this afternoon and I was going to do it before work but I went back to bed instead. I'm a disaster this week :o Didn't really feel like doing it after work but I had my swim bag with me and there was a queue of traffic in the lane to go home and no traffic in the lane to the pool. So I took the lane to the pool. It was quite an enjoyable little session. Didn't have to go eyeballs out fast but had to work hard enough that the time flew by. The 200's were a tiny bit slow. I underestimated how much effort I needed to put in. The rest were pretty much spot on but my arms were hanging off me when I'd finished.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I find when it's touch and go if you'll bother doing something, on this log at least, it tends to get done!

adrian522 wrote: »
    I find when it's touch and go if you'll bother doing something, on this log at least, it tends to get done!

Must be the Catholic guilt ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

In on 4:33, 4:34*
    * I miscounted and did 250 on this one

Wrong.

Repeat the whole set correctly please (I'm not joking).

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Wrong.

Repeat the whole set correctly please (I'm not joking).

No bother.

• Advertisement

No bother.

No need for the full set- my confusion, I misread your numbers. But no harm in redo-ing the 200's and the 25's to your next set, just to tick that box.

Saturday

Run: 6.6m @ 7:37

Swim: 2.4k

200m warm up
    2*200 in twice the time of your March 100m PB = 4:28 30s rest after the first.
    In on 4:17, 4:23
    90s rest
    4*100 each in the time of your March 100m PB = 2:14 15s rest between each.
    In on 2:07, 2:10, 2:11, 2:12
    90s rest
    8*50 each in half the time of your March 100m PB = 1:07 10s rest between each.
    In on 1:02, 1:03, 1:03, 1:02, 1:04, 1:03, 1:04, 1:04
    90s rest
    16*25 alt hard/easy (recover during the easy 25, no rest in between)
    200 backstroke

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Run: 6.6m @ 7:37

Tempo miles, intervals ???

You're awesome! :D

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Tempo miles, intervals ???

If one was doing a marathon it might be considered 6.6m @ MP ;)

• Advertisement

You're awesome! :D

You're forgiven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

If one was doing a marathon it might be considered 6.6m @ MP ;)

Was thinking as much - all the split detail for the swim & nothing for the run! I felt I had to ask ;)

Sunday:

Run: 13.36m @ 8:17

Felt really good on this. Best I've felt on a long run for weeks and weeks :D. I had 2 slices of marmite on toast as soon as I got home. Then a giant slice of rhubarb pie and a big bowl of stewed rhubarb followed by more toast and tea after my shower.

Splits: Just for you Joe!!!!!

8:27, 8:55, 8:26, 8:36, 8:27, 8:45, 8:26, 8:14, 8:06, 8:02, 8:03, 7:55, 7:52, 7:40

Swim: 3.4k

200m warm up
    8*50 as (25k, 25 choice drill, 10s rest) 400pb
    800s
    30s rest
    600pb
    30s rest
    400s 350s
    30s rest
    200pb
    30s rest
    3*200s 150s, 250s, 250s 30s rest between each
    (aim for the steady pace throughout everything)
    200 backstroke

The pool was mental today. Everything and everyone that could get in my way did. Twice the flippin lifeguards decided to move the lanes. First time was in the middle of the 800 :mad: so I kept swimming where I was until the pool was infiltrated with a horde of kids and I had to stop and move back to the lane. The second time was just before I was finished. I miscounted the distances a few times cause I couldn't concentrate properly and then when I was doing the backstroke I crashed into a woman who was walking across my lane to get out of the pool :mad: She looked surprised when I bashed into her, as if the thought that somebody might be swimming in a swimming pool had never occurred to her. I got a Kinetica protein drink and crisps and chocolate on the way home to calm my nerves :D

Weekly totals:

Run: 37m
    Swim: 11.65k
    Core: 16min of planks

Monday:

Rest. Sweet :)

Tuesday:

Run: 5.77m @ 8:51

Easy peasy

Swim: 1.9k

*Day 1*
    200m warm up
    4*50 as 25k, 25sw, 15s
    Main Set: 24*50m as;
    6*50m on 1:06, 10s rest
    1:04, 1:04, 1:06, 1:05, 1:05, 1:06
    6*50m on 1:03, 10s rest
    1:02, 1:03, 1:03, 1:03, 1:03, 1:04
    6*50m on 1:06, 10s rest
    1:02, 1:03, 1:05, 1:05, 1:05, 1:05
    6*50m on 1:03, 10s rest
    1:03, 1:03, 1:03, 1:04, 1:05, 1:04
    30s rest
    300m alternating 50fs/50backstroke

Bleugh. This week is my punishment for complaining about the week with no numbers. I do solemnly swear, I will never complain about a week with no numbers again. Missed the last three but not from a lack of effort. 10 seconds is nothing. You don't even have time to scratch your nose in 10 seconds. Basically just stop, hit the lap button, turn, big deep breath and go again. Can't wait for the 100's tomorrow :rolleyes:

You could be podium material in Triathlon- not because its a limited field, but because of the rate of your progress. How important the podium is down to only you.

Time to move this log over.

She'd need a real bike though and I'm not sure she's ready for that leap just yet.

You could be podium material in Triathlon- not because its a limited field, but because of the rate of your progress. How important the podium is down to only you.

Time to move this log over.

But, but, but ..... Lycra makes my bum look big :eek:

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    She'd need a real bike though and I'm not sure she's ready for that leap just yet.

It is a big commitment alright! For better, for worse, till death do us part. And then there's so many choices. How do I know which is the one????

But, but, but ..... Lycra makes my bum look big :eek:

Lycra makes everyone's bum look big. So does chocolate but that's not going to stop me eating it.... ;)

• Advertisement

So I harass you repeatedly and you laugh. One word from Kurt and the bags are packed. The pecking order suddenly becomes clear... :(

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    So I harass you repeatedly and you laugh. One word from Kurt and the bags are packed. The pecking order suddenly becomes clear... :(

Haha :D I hoped it wouldn't look like that! I was waiting until I had a good title and I had a Eureka moment today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Get your Dad to start up that log, and then he can keep us up to date with your race-placings ... and give his view from the other side of the coaching partnership ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Get your Dad to start up that log, and then he can keep us up to date with your race-placings ... and give his view from the other side of the coaching partnership ;)

Perfect, CM out, CM dad in :) Tata CM who needs ya anyway :p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Perfect, CM out, CM dad in :) Tata CM who needs ya anyway :p;)

We do!!! :)

Anyone else looking to defect, applications are being taken all day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

AKW wrote: »
    We do!!! :)

Anyone else looking to defect, applications are being taken all day :D

with the way things are around this gaff lately I'd almost be tempted myself!

Good luck CM with the new log but sorry to see you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Jesus I'm back a few days and she pisses off over to the darkside. Best of luck!

Beef wrote: »
    Jesus I'm back a few days and she pisses off over to the darkside. Best of luck!

And don't worry I'll still read your log :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck with the new log & the move CM - seems like an altogether less angst-ridden place over there (the way this place used to be :) ). Enjoy

• Advertisement

All the best, CM. Don't be a stranger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It's a sad day when you unfollow a thread. But hey....there's another one popped up over there --->>> :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

And don't worry I'll still read your log :p

Thanks! Likewise, but when I look at anything other than your run notes... :confused:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSknzyPb7GZvhirpxds4Dc5N0i7T7o1JB8lkjtX288LVjEVCJ7aE5JDzQ

I have returned :D

I'm planning a new adventure for the winter and have decided, after some prompting from Mulberry, to train for the Masters 100m. It's going to be a steep learning curve not least because I'm doing a 5 day expedition race in India in 2 weeks which will take a bit to recover from.

I had a gawk on the internet and found this plan
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrew_Maclennan/publication/237673285_A_16_week_training_plan_for_a_sprinter/links/555c295908ae91e75e76d009/A-16-week-training-plan-for-a-sprinter.pdf
    which I quite like the look of as a reference point. I won't be following it exactly.
    But I'm hoping if I can start proper training mid October and do 4 weeks general prep and 3 weeks specific conditioning, I might be ok.

So today I paid a visit to the track to meet the brother of the club captain. I think he ran a lot himself and he used to do a lot of coaching before I joined. He's agreed to coach track and field this winter and he's going to help me out with the 100m training and he's going to teach me how to throw a javelin properly :D I showed him the above plan and we had a good chat. Then he showed me some drills I can be doing. He wants me to work on my technique before we start any proper speed training. It's going to be fun :D

I did some training as well! Workout of the day http://www.telegraph.co.uk/beauty/body/the-easter-gym-bunny-workout/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Bout time Madame D,

Welcome back.

100m, is that metres or miles, never know with you :)

TbL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Huh, I use Research Gate a fair bit for work, never thought I'd see a running plan from there.

Best of luck with what's on your agenda.

• Advertisement

Bout time Madame D,

Welcome back.

100m, is that metres or miles, never know with you :)

TbL

Thanks! It's just like coming home .... I missed you guys ;)

Hmmm well, it's metres at the moment unless I get too much grief for being a track fairy :D

Huh, I use Research Gate a fair bit for work, never thought I'd see a running plan from there.

Best of luck with what's on your agenda.

Goddamn runners are everywhere :D

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thanks! It's just like coming home .... I missed you guys ;)

Hmmm well, it's metres at the moment unless I get too much grief for being a track fairy :D

Feckin track fairy ;)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Feckin track fairy ;)

TbL

Don't mind groucho :D maybe he should join you!! Was literally only saying yesterday that you and Neady should move back here, one down....:p

Welcome back, CM. Where and when is this race/meet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement