Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Murph_D wrote: »
    Welcome back, CM. Where and when is this race/meet?

Thanks Murph. I'm going to do the 60m indoors at the start of January in Nenagh and then the county 100m I think is in Templemore. Think it's sometime in Feb but I don't think the dates have been finalised yet. I'd like to do the Munsters as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Don't mind groucho :D maybe he should join you!! Was literally only saying yesterday that you and Neady should move back here, one down....:p

100 metres, size of me, fcuks sake I'd take up two lanes :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Welcome back CM and best of luck with the new challenge!

RedRunner wrote: »
    Welcome back CM and best of luck with the new challenge!

Thanks R it's good to be back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

I have returned :D

I'm planning a new adventure for the winter and have decided, after some prompting from Mulberry, to train for the Masters 100m.

Yay!!!! I'm so happy to see this! Not only another sprinter on boards, but it's CM! Meaning the plan and implementation will be awesome to watch. Class :)
    He wants me to work on my technique before we start any proper speed training.
    This is good, he knows his stuff.
    Thanks Murph. I'm going to do the 60m indoors at the start of January in Nenagh and then the county 100m I think is in Templemore. Think it's sometime in Feb but I don't think the dates have been finalised yet. I'd like to do the Munsters as well!
    Now this is very important Career Move, you need to do the Munsters and you also need to the nationals. Unless there's something going on I don't know about in Tipp T&F you will get little satisfaction from the counties, and the provincials are where it starts. Nationals won't even double the field from provincials and times are on average only slightly faster so if you're going to all this trouble to train you absolutely have to finish in Athlone on 4th March. It's a no brainer and Athlone is class to race in. You should also guest at the Leinsters, probably sometime in February and probably / hopefully taking place in the National Indoor Arena in Blanch, also a fantastic venue.

Not only this, 60M is very different from the 100M so you'll have to do the Outdoors as well :) And of course the 200 at the Indoors :)

So much fun!

One final, very important question - what masters category are you in? I'm wondering if you'll be in mine and I need to worry about you! Although I think you are far younger than me :)

In the meantime, best of luck in India!

Mulberry wrote: »
    Yay!!!! I'm so happy to see this! Not only another sprinter on boards, but it's CM! Meaning the plan and implementation will be awesome to watch. Class :)

This is good, he knows his stuff.
    Thanks a mill :D I'm really excited about it.

Ya I think he's got a lot of knowledge and experience
    Now this is very important Career Move, you need to do the Munsters and you also need to the nationals. Unless there's something going on I don't know about in Tipp T&F you will get little satisfaction from the counties, and the provincials are where it starts. Nationals won't even double the field from provincials and times are on average only slightly faster so if you're going to all this trouble to train you absolutely have to finish in Athlone on 4th March. It's a no brainer and Athlone is class to race in. You should also guest at the Leinsters, probably sometime in February and probably / hopefully taking place in the National Indoor Arena in Blanch, also a fantastic venue.

Not only this, 60M is very different from the 100M so you'll have to do the Outdoors as well :) And of course the 200 at the Indoors :)

So much fun!

One final, very important question - what masters category are you in? I'm wondering if you'll be in mine and I need to worry about you! Although I think you are far younger than me :)

In the meantime, best of luck in India!
    Excellent. I love it. People to help me aim big. Nationals it is :D And the timing is perfect!! I'm meeting with the coach again next Tuesday so it'll be great to have some goal races to discuss with him.

I'm 35 .... I still don't understand how it happened. In my head I'm still a teenager :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Good to see you back and best of luck with the new goal.

Looking at the plan you posted it looks solid (good mix of plyo etc and alot more conditioning work than many Irish sprinters would go for though given your aerobic background its no harm)

The references for it (Charlie Francis and Bompa) would generally be two of the best starting points I would recommend people regarding Sprints and S & C so definitely a good starting point.

Enjoy the process :)

Good to see you back and best of luck with the new goal.

Looking at the plan you posted it looks solid (good mix of plyo etc and alot more conditioning work than many Irish sprinters would go for though given your aerobic background its no harm)

The references for it (Charlie Francis and Bompa) would generally be two of the best starting points I would recommend people regarding Sprints and S & C so definitely a good starting point.

Enjoy the process :)

Super thanks for checking out the plan. I hadn't heard of the authors so it's more good luck than anything that I stumbled across it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Super thanks for checking out the plan. I hadn't heard of the authors so it's more good luck than anything that I stumbled across it :D

Charlie Francis is well known for the wrong reasons (don't go down the Ben Johnson route ;) ) but his training methodology is great;

The forum around it has some pretty good discussion

http://community.charliefrancis.com/activity.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck with the new goal Kate, to be honest I was along the same thinking as TbL as in it was a 100mile not 100m. Whenever you set your mind to achieve something you always do, great attribute to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

There's always something new happening with you, C_M, will you be doing the Karate alongside the sprint training? Or maybe MMA is next???

Will be interesting to see the results of the training block.

Good luck for the race in India :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Fair play for throwing yourself into something so different. If you've any questions about sprint training just let me know. Be careful and ease yourself in. Have lost count of the amount who joined our group all bright eyed and bushy tailed, got injured within a couple of weeks, and never returned.

Charlie Francis is well known for the wrong reasons (don't go down the Ben Johnson route ;) ) but his training methodology is great;

The forum around it has some pretty good discussion

http://community.charliefrancis.com/activity.php

Oh wow that's interesting thanks. I'll try and steer clear of the BJ approach don't worry :D

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new goal Kate, to be honest I was along the same thinking as TbL as in it was a 100mile not 100m. Whenever you set your mind to achieve something you always do, great attribute to have.

Thanks Barry! Ha ya it's a bit of a curve ball I guess :D

There's always something new happening with you, C_M, will you be doing the Karate alongside the sprint training? Or maybe MMA is next???

Will be interesting to see the results of the training block.

Good luck for the race in India :)

I'm definitely keeping up the karate!! I love it and I'm sure it will complement the sprint training brilliantly
    Sensai " Kate LIFT your knees, you can't kick if you don't lift your knees"
    Coach " Kate lift your knees, you can't sprint if you don't lift your knees

...... it's all about the knees :D

Nah MMA is not my thing. Karate is all about discipline and technique. MMA is a different beast entirely!!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Fair play for throwing yourself into something so different. If you've any questions about sprint training just let me know. Be careful and ease yourself in. Have lost count of the amount who joined our group all bright eyed and bushy tailed, got injured within a couple of weeks, and never returned.

Awesome thanks. I must catch up with your log too. I hope I will stay injury free. That's key! 3 times in the last 4 years I've come close to being overtrained. I've definitely been in the non functional over reaching category so I'm hoping that I have learnt some restraint!!!!

Editing to say that it's actually more under recovering than over training. Recovery is something I going to have to focus a lot on especially when I come home from India because I know I'll just be dying to jump into the sprint training

Now that I'm here I might as well stay here and add some training!!

Just to give a quick recap of the last 12 months to provide some context and to help me plan my training better.
    August 2016 I took part in Itera, a 5 day expedition race which had us navigating along the wild atlantic way from Westport to Killarney. The weather was brutal, the driving rain was endless and my team nearly all succumbed to hypothermia coming down off Carrantoohill. It was one of the most incredible, life affirming things that I've done. Mid september 2016 I won a 65km ultra around the Glen of Aherlow and I think I did a couple of xc races but my hip was at me a lot. I was in Melbourne for xmas and I got into a good rehab program for my hip. Then I raced a good few road races with the club. Mostly I didn't run very well. The exception was the Novice 'b' where I ran 3k in 11:4x and came 2nd to my club mate. All through the spring I was also training really hard for Expedition Africa. I did EA in May. It was awesome and so, so tough but I felt strong throughout. We finished the race in five and a half days and it was incredible! I took a week off I think when I came home but I was ticking over all summer because I joined a team for The Beast adventure race on the August bank holiday weekend and I also at some point joined another team for Expedition India in September.
    I was disappointed with the way I felt so weak during The Beast. Report here but I didn't take much rest because I wanted to improve my v02 max as much as possible before I went to India. We'll be racing at altitude and that's supposed to help acclimatisation. I was feeling really tired, my sleep pattern was all over the place, my heart was pounding and I felt like I was overreaching, cause I've been there before but I was confused because my resting heart rate was almost normal. So I did some googling and I backed off the training completely.
    That was two weeks ago. My main priority now is to get to India in as rested a state as possible without feeling stale and unfit. I'm going to do a lot of core work in the next two weeks because I think I can improve physically from it, it won't stress me out and it will benefit me in the race so that's where I'm at

Sunday:
    Core - 30 min

Run - Track drills

Monday:
    Stretching - 10 min
    DOMS in my quads mainly, also my hamstrings.

Tuesday:
    Bike turbo - 30 min easy spinning

Core 1kg ea arm - arms, squats x 10, side lunges x 10 ea leg, single leg deadlift x 10 ea leg, split squat 2 x 8 ea leg, plank 4 min total

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:
    Run: 3.65m @ 10:58
    With my sister. She's home for a couple of weeks. This was round the bog. It was nice.

Core:
    Chin ups: 3,3,2,2
    Circuit x 3 30sec on/off
    Box jump
    Skipping
    Sit up
    Plank
    Fire hydrant
    Mountain climber
    Jumping jack

Friday:
    Run: 6k in 40min

Core:
    2kg squats x 10, sidelunges x 10ea, single dead lifts x 10ea, bridges x 20
    Stretching
    Myrtl

Saturday:
    Rest

Sunday:
    Run: 10.5k in 70min
    We're on a boat trip on the Shannon. We were docked in Banagher for the night so in the morning, the girls ran from Portumna to Victoria lock and the boys met us with the boat there. It was a pretty scenic run along the back roads.

Core:
    Walking lunges x 20
    Squats x 15
    Box jumps x 12
    Skips
    High knees
    Flicks
    Stretches

Feeling much better this week. Loads of energy thankfully :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Welcome back, CM... and what a range -- from ultra's to sprinting, fair play to you and best of luck with it.

Now... where will we read about your Indian adventure... here or on the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Found you :)

Wow, I look forward to following your progress K, it sounds like a great way to Winter (though I'd dislike it, speed is not my friend). Do you think you'll return to adventuring after the Spring meet?

annapr wrote: »
    Welcome back, CM... and what a range -- from ultra's to sprinting, fair play to you and best of luck with it.

Now... where will we read about your Indian adventure... here or on the other side?

Cheers Anna. Variety is the spice of life and all that :D

Ah here I'd say. As the Take That boys said I'm back for good ;)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Found you :)

Wow, I look forward to following your progress K, it sounds like a great way to Winter (though I'd dislike it, speed is not my friend). Do you think you'll return to adventuring after the Spring meet?

Thanks. Hope you're training is going well. Not sure about next year yet. I could probably be persuaded to join a team for Exp Africa in May but I want to give the sprinting a good lash so that will be my priority

Monday:

Run: 40 min slow

We were docked in Killaloe. Ran up to Clarisford park and around there a couple of times then back and along the tow path. Nice run. I did a bit of rowing in the dinghy as well

Tuesday:

Bike turbo: 30 min a.m. easy

Run: Club training ~ 90 min

Was a bit early so I did 10 min slow jog, 5 min steady and 15 minutes of drills. Then coach has us doing lots of stuff to help to train us to lift our knees. We did some baby hurdles and some kids hurdles but thankfully not adult hurdles cause that would have been carnage. We did some hill sprints to get us using our arms properly and in the correct position and we went into the gym and did some work with the medicine ball to strengthen our neck muscles. Then back out to the track and coach had us lie flat on our bellies. We had to get ourselves up and sprint 30m. Then a few more hurdles and we finished off with a lap of the track. First 100m @ 60%, jog 100m recovery, next 100m @ 80%, 100m recovery. And some stretching. My legs are not quite sure what's happened :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good to see you back - (even though you were just on another forum :) ).
    Still busy with the horsies?

• Advertisement

Good to see you back - (even though you were just on another forum :) ).
    Still busy with the horsies?

Thanks :D I've been dipping in and out of your log but your just so bloody fast and consistent now, well it's a bit boring to be honest :p Bring back RunningKing :D

No not doing any horsey stuff now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great to see you back K. Best of luck with the new challenge!

Monday:

Run: 40 min slow

We were docked in Killaloe. Ran up to Clarisford park and around there a couple of times then back and along the tow path. Nice run. I did a bit of rowing in the dinghy as well

Tuesday:

Bike turbo: 30 min a.m. easy

Run: Club training ~ 90 min

Was a bit early so I did 10 min slow jog, 5 min steady and 15 minutes of drills. Then coach has us doing lots of stuff to help to train us to lift our knees. We did some baby hurdles and some kids hurdles but thankfully not adult hurdles cause that would have been carnage. We did some hill sprints to get us using our arms properly and in the correct position and we went into the gym and did some work with the medicine ball to strengthen our neck muscles. Then back out to the track and coach had us lie flat on our bellies. We had to get ourselves up and sprint 30m. Then a few more hurdles and we finished off with a lap of the track. First 100m @ 60%, jog 100m recovery, next 100m @ 80%, 100m recovery. And some stretching. My legs are not quite sure what's happened :eek:

Just wondering what's the purpose of the long runs? Is that part of your programme or is it just a case of easing yourself off them (coming from a distance background). If you are training for 60m and 100m, then there is zero benefit to doing those runs. You want to develop fast twitch fibres, not slow twitch ones.

Good session there. Our coach has had us doing those reaction starts occasionally. Lying on your belly, lying on your back etc. Good way to wake up the body early in the morning.

Just wondering what's the purpose of the long runs? Is that part of your programme or is it just a case of easing yourself off them (coming from a distance background). If you are training for 60m and 100m, then there is zero benefit to doing those runs. You want to develop fast twitch fibres, not slow twitch ones.

Good session there. Our coach has had us doing those reaction starts occasionally. Lying on your belly, lying on your back etc. Good way to wake up the body early in the morning.

Strictly speaking, there was no purpose to those runs. But I do enjoy them and my sister is home this week and we like to do a pre breakfast run! Will I need to stop doing those runs and stick exactly to a plan? What about doing cycling or swimming as crosstraining? I was thinking of cycling on my gym days

Strictly speaking, there was no purpose to those runs. But I do enjoy them and my sister is home this week and we like to do a pre breakfast run! Will I need to stop doing those runs and stick exactly to a plan? What about doing cycling or swimming as crosstraining? I was thinking of cycling on my gym days

If it was 400m you could do 1 or 2 20-30 min runs a week in the winter time and there'd be some benefit to it (I'd highly question how much benefit though, and it would be by far the least important ingredient in 400m training). But for 60m and 100m there is literally zero benefit to doing long slow runs. In fact it completely contradicts the training needed for a short distance sprinter.

Endurance is hugely important for sprinters but it has to be the right type of endurance. That's where hill sessions come in, speed endurance sessions on the track. If you really want to do long runs then there'd be more benefit from making them into fartlek runs.

• Advertisement

My tuppence worth: I also received this advice when I moved to sprint training, and heeded it for a while. But I've re-introduced regular easy runs (3-4 miles) because they keep me sane! They're the main reason I love running to be honest - chatty easy runs of an evening with a pal when I've had a crazy day. They're very different to the quite intense track training sessions and the lonely evenings in the gym. I think if I stopped my easy runs I could actually go a bit mad, and then there'd be no sprinting either - so there's the benefit to me :) I do more in the off season and less in the run up to races. But I'd do one every week. Slow twitch fibers be damned.

My tuppence worth: I also received this advice when I moved to sprint training, and heeded it for a while. But I've re-introduced regular easy runs (3-4 miles) because they keep me sane! They're the main reason I love running to be honest - chatty easy runs of an evening with a pal when I've had a crazy day. They're very different to the quite intense track training sessions and the lonely evenings in the gym. I think if I stopped my easy runs I could actually go a bit mad, and then there'd be no sprinting either - so there's the benefit to me :) I do more in the off season and less in the run up to races. But I'd do one every week. Slow twitch fibers be damned.

Haha. You don't see Bolt out doing long runs do ya. :p

If it's something that keeps one sane and keeps one in a positive mind frame regards the rest of training then by all means do it once a week. Just don't expect it to help regarding sprint times. But having fun is important so if that keeps it fun then keep at it.

Wednesday:
    Rest. Did a bit of stretching. My calves were sore especially the left one, low down, I think from being up on my toes so much last night.

Thursday:
    Run: 10 min w/u, 10 min fartlek, 5 min c/d
    Didn't have time for much more and legs were still a bit sore. I was just using electricity poles as my markers. I feel horribly unfit when I'm running :(

Core: 30 min
    Squat twist x 10
    Squat leg raise x 10
    One legged kick x 10
    Plank front/side 5min total
    Sit up 2 x 30
    Press up 2 x 10, 10sec R
    Mountain climber x 25

Friday:
    Run: Club training 75min

15 min w/u - it was raining so I made sure not to be too early
    Drills, hurdles, medicine ball, hill sprints 15 x 10m, baton practice for 100m relay, cool down
    Still feeling my left calf muscle but I'm loving these sessions and I didn't want to miss this one as I'll be missing 4 while I'm in India. Legs were really tired afterwards but in a good way

Saturday:
    Bike turbo: 60 min
    Legs still a bit sore so didn't want to run. Was only planning to do 30min but I was enjoying it so I kept going. Legs felt looser afterwards. Off to India tomorrow morning so that's my week finished. I would have liked to have gotten another core session done but I needed the recovery time.

Wowzers! What a read! Well done CM! Sprint training will certainly offer you something 'different' to adventure racing! Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

This was a great read - thanks so much for posting. I had no idea what adventure racing entailed. It sounds really tough. I've only one experience of hiking at altitude; it was not particularly pleasant! Great achievement - well done!

Wowzers! What a read! Well done CM! Sprint training will certainly offer you something 'different' to adventure racing! Thanks for posting.
    Haha ya sprint training definitely falls into the ‘different’ category!!! Thanks for reading
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    This was a great read - thanks so much for posting. I had no idea what adventure racing entailed. It sounds really tough. I've only one experience of hiking at altitude; it was not particularly pleasant! Great achievement - well done!
    Adventure racing is super tough for the top teams! A wise man once said "adventure racing is like a mullet.... business in the front and party at the back" :D

Tuesday:

Track session: 70 min
    Warm up, drills, hurdles, medicine ball

2 x 200m sprint
    Supposed to be a timed sprint but the timing didn’t work so we had to do another. Didn’t get my time but there were people in front of me who I normally beat. Coach said I looked to be moving better than previously. More relaxed and better knee action

Cool down

Thursday:
    Karate: 90min

Friday:
    Track: 60 min
    Warm up then into the Hall for lots of exercises with the medicine ball followed by baton practice. We had our changes working well after a bit and we were able to do accelerations after the change over for the last 20min. An easy session because we were all running xc on Sunday

Sunday:
    County novice xc (4k)

Weather forecast was dismal but thankfully the rain didn’t materalise. It was pretty windy though. I was delighted with my run. I felt strong all the way and made up 2 places in the last 300m. Our club won the team gold as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done on India Kate & the team gold, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I was putting off reading this until I had a big cuppa and time to dedicate to it :) wow, wow, wow, wow! What an amazing adventure! The highs and the lows - I'm not surprised that you made it through reasonably unscathed, the boys don't have your strength and iron constitution it seems!! Thanks for such a detailed report with those truly awesome photos. I love the epilogue too - not sure I'd ever have your courage but reading your reports always makes me want to tri harder :). Well done you! Then you come home and run a XC race & get team gold :D #legend

• Advertisement

I was putting off reading this until I had a big cuppa and time to dedicate to it :) wow, wow, wow, wow! What an amazing adventure! The highs and the lows - I'm not surprised that you made it through reasonably unscathed, the boys don't have your strength and iron constitution it seems!! Thanks for such a detailed report with those truly awesome photos. I love the epilogue too - not sure I'd ever have your courage but reading your reports always makes me want to tri harder :). Well done you! Then you come home and run a XC race & get team gold :D #legend

Thanks A. We still had 1000m to climb before we summited so I might also have been struck down with altitude sickness. It generally takes 3 - 6 weeks to acclimate to high altitude so attempting it in one was always going to be a struggle. The teams that did well either live at high altitude or had been acclimatising before they came to India.

Ya the photos are awesome. And there’s loads more when Zane get time to download his GoPro

Haha I like the TriHarder pun!! It’s nice to be an inspiration to somebody :p

Sadly I wasn’t on the scoreboard yesterday so I’m not really a legend at all :D

Monday:

Rest. Did some foam rolling. Right hamstring was tight all last week

Tuesday:

A.m: Bike turbo: 30 min easy

P.m: Track session: 70 min

15 min warm up: jogging + lunges

3 x (150m sprint @ 80%, jog 250m Rec, 120m sprint @ 90%, jog 280m Rec)
    I was super happy with these. Coach wanted us to focus on lifting our knees and using our arms properly and I felt really comfortable. We were supposed to do 4 sets but we’d all done xc on Sunday and coach didn’t want us overdoing it so he pulled it back to 3

Medicine ball x 10 min

Baby hurdles x 10 min

Cool down

Wednesday:

Rest

Thursday:

Core: 30min
    Circuit x 2
    Wall squats 2kg x 10
    Plank 4 x 30sec front/side/front/side
    Superman x 20
    Side lying hip adduction x 20ea leg
    Clam x 20 ea side
    Push up x 15
    One legged deadlift 2kg x 15ea leg
    Split squat 2kg x 15 ea leg

Friday:

A.M: Bike turbo - 30min easy

P.M: Run - Track session 80 min
    ahr:126 max:171
    Warm up 10 min jog + stretches
    Drills
    8 x 20m accelerations from starting position
    3 x 120m sprints @ 70%
    Medicine balls
    Hurdle drills
    Cool down x 10min

I’ve been fighting a head cold since India and it was a bit worse on Wednesday so I skipped both karate classes this week. I have great intentions of adding in a fartlek session or maybe two to the track sessions but it’s taking me longer than I’d like to recover from the track sessions so I’ll have to hold tough on that. It’s mainly my hamstrings and my calves that feel it. We have another tough track session scheduled for this Sunday and next Tuesday we’re doing a beep test. I need to lose weight. Diet is going well this week. Legs were sore this morning and even sorer now so might go for a swim tomorrow

Run: Track session 80 min
    ahr:126 max:171
    Warm up 10 min jog + stretches
    Drills
    8 x 20m accelerations from starting position
    3 x 120m sprints @ 70%
    Medicine balls
    Hurdle drills
    Cool down x 10min

We have another tough track session scheduled for this Sunday and next Tuesday we’re doing a beep test.

So great to read about sprint training! I'm lovin' this log.
    What do ye do with the medicine ball?
    Great you're doing hurdle drills, I enjoy them and am convinced they're very beneficial.
    And why are ye doing a beep test? I'd thought that was an endurance test, or am I wrong? No harm anyway I guess.

So great to read about sprint training! I'm lovin' this log.
    What do ye do with the medicine ball?
    Great you're doing hurdle drills, I enjoy them and am convinced they're very beneficial.
    And why are ye doing a beep test? I'd thought that was an endurance test, or am I wrong? No harm anyway I guess.

Glad your enjoying the log. I’m loving the training!

Medicine ball - we throw it against the wall and catch it in a couple of different positions for upper body, neck and arm conditioning and we do a couple of different squats with it. (Forward squat bounce it under leg, forward squat bounce to side). The one I use is 3kg

I love the hurdle too. Coach is big into them. He thinks it’s a really good way to get us to lift our knees. He did remark tonight that I need to pay more attention to my technique cause sometimes I try to go too fast over them and instead of lifting my knees properly I tend to screw my lower leg out to the side

We’re doing the beep test because coach thinks it will be good for us and it will give us a marker of what our v02 max is so that when we repeat it again in 6 weeks we can see if we have improved

Good training. Seems like you are in good hands.

Make sure to race plenty. Nothing prepares you for a race better than racing often. Plenty of opportunities indoors here. 2 rounds of the National League which have guest races (one in Abbotstown which has two rounds of 60m for price of one, the other in Athlone which has the 200m), the AAI Games where you get two 60m races for the price of one, and a 200m too, Leinsters, National Masters, and there's also League Final and Connacht Championships (though both those are on same weekend as AAI Games and Leinsters respectively). Oh and National Seniors if you fancy taking on Phil Healy. :)

Good training. Seems like you are in good hands.

Make sure to race plenty. Nothing prepares you for a race better than racing often. Plenty of opportunities indoors here. 2 rounds of the National League which have guest races (one in Abbotstown which has two rounds of 60m for price of one, the other in Athlone which has the 200m), the AAI Games where you get two 60m races for the price of one, and a 200m too, Leinsters, National Masters, and there's also League Final and Connacht Championships (though both those are on same weekend as AAI Games and Leinsters respectively). Oh and National Seniors if you fancy taking on Phil Healy. :)

Cool thanks :D

I will race as much as I can providing I stay fit and healthy! I’m doing the novice b xc at the end of the month simply because it’ll be good strength training. Then probably nothing until county masters indoor on 31st December where I’m going to do the 60m and the 4 x 200m relay.

Saturday:

Core + foam rolling:
    Circuit x 3 30 sec ea
    Lunge
    Skips
    Box jump
    Bunny hops
    Donkey kicks
    Mountain climber
    Squats
    Skips x 2
    Karate forward kick R x 2
    Karate forward kick L x 2
    Skips

Calves and hamstrings a bit tight. Didn’t go swimming because I was a bit sniffly and there’s always loads of kids in the pool at the weekend and I didn’t think it would do my immune system any good. The core stuff was tough. My calves were quite sore afterwards

Sunday:

Stretching: 10min
    AIS + Myrtl

A.M Track session: 1hr 40
    ahr: 122 max: 174
    Warm up x 10min - jog 1600m
    Stretches x 10min
    Hurdles
    Coach had two rows of baby hurdles, hurdles and ladders from the start to the
    100m finish. Main focus is high knees and arm action. Down over one row of baby hurdles and ladders. At the bottom there’s a set of hurdles where we do this routine of lifting one leg over the edge of the hurdle followed by your second leg. It requires a lot of energy because your bouncing from one leg to the other and you need to lift your legs quite high especially the last time when the hurdles were put up to the max. Then back up over more baby hurdles and ladders. We did this 5 times. My calves were a bit sore starting these and screaming at the end
    200m @ 80% x 2
    I wore the new pair of Saucony spikes I got during the week. They felt comfortable and pretty supportive
    Medicine ball - calves were better after
    Cool down x 20min - another 1600m jog and more stretches

P.M: Bike turbo - 60min easy

Monday:

Rest. Ouch my glutes were sore!! Left one a bit more than the right.

Tuesday:

Track session: 80 min

800m warm up + few minutes of drills

Bleep test: ahr 161 max 182

Coach had measured out the 20m in the hall and he had a tape and an ancient tape recorder for audio. I felt like I paced it well. I got to level 9 shuttle 8. I was a bit disappointed with myself afterwards because I wanted to get to level 10 and I felt like I should have suffered more. Oh well! I guess its a start. It corresponds to a v02 max of 45.9 which is just ok for me. My best v02 max was 51.1 in a 5k in 2014 so I've lots of work to do to get back to that level. The max heart rate I have recorded was 186 in a 3k race in Apr this year.

1600m jog - to keep warm while the others were doing the test. We did the test in groups of 5/6

Spent the last half hour setting up the starting blocks and practicing the break. It's something that's going to take a LOT of practice before I get comfortable at it and can do it well

• Advertisement

Wednesday:

Rest. I was going to go to karate and do some core work but we have an easy(ish) track session planned for Friday concentrating on relay stuff so I was going to do a grass session tomorrow, 10 min wu 8 x 2 min @ 70% 1 min jog R and then a fartlek on Sunday. But we were short a couple of ladies to run intermediate xc on Sunday and I figured 8 x 2 min slog on my own versus 5k race. Not much in the difference. So I signed up for the xc. I’ll probably be cursing myself after about 4K on Sunday but right now it seems like a good idea :eek:

Thursday:

Run: 7k in 40 min
    ahr 156 max 177
    10 min wu
    20 min fartlek as
    Sec|30|45|60|75|90|90|75|60|45|30
    Pace min/mi| 6:43|7:22|7:14|7:07|6:43|6:43|6:12|6:26|6:17|5:44
    10 min cd

Love these sessions! Paces seem a bit all over the place but there is a slight uphill for the first mile before it flattens out and I’ve noticed even when we’re doing the sprints that it always takes me a few reps to get going. I still have a head cold so no karate tonight either. I’m trying to prioritise my workouts especially as it’s only 2.5 weeks since I came back from India. It feels way longer!

Advertisement