Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I don't think I know any of those exercises are bar one or two but I'm exhausted
    at the thoughts of doing them :D

Well done on the discipline, hope you're having a good Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'm tired at the thought of putting all of those tables into a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I don't think I know any of those exercises are bar one or two but I'm exhausted
    at the thoughts of doing them :D

Well done on the discipline, hope you're having a good Christmas :)

Easy enough to be disciplined when that's all I have to show for the last 4 weeks. Now if I had a sub 40 10k ... :D

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I'm tired at the thought of putting all of those tables into a post.

Copy and paste :p

Dec 25th - Dec 31st

Monday:

Run: Timed mile on the track
    Moyne ac do a timed mile in support of a different charity every xmas day. I think 160 people did it this year which is a good enough turnout for a small club. I said I'd pace my brother because I'm horribly unfit and I figured I'd just about be able to run 7:30. We did 3 laps to warm up. My leg wasn't hurting but I didn't feel like I was running freely either. It just felt really tight and it never loosened out. Maybe I should have done more of a warmup but it was raining and cold and I wasn't getting warm and I just wanted to get it done. We kept a pretty steady pace all the way and finished in 7:07. My bro was thrilled. I think his previous best was 7:42

Tues - Thurs:
    Leg was sore. Sometimes 2/5, sometimes 3/5 (0 is no pain and 5 is can't put any weight on it) I was going to go to the gym Thurs but I was too lazy

Friday:
    Bike turbo: 30min
    Gym. Last session of the 4 week block posted above. I had to get this done today so I went straight after work because I know coach will ask me did I do it next week. I twinged something in my lower back doing the last deadlift.

Saturday:
    Stretching: 10 min
    Back was a bit stiff. Stretching helped

Bike turbo: 30min

Sunday:

County Indoors

Silver 60m 9:59 finished 3rd but winner was a junior. Time was slow. Happy with my race though. Just pipped my clubmate on the line. There was 9 of us racing. She was in lane 3 and I was lane 7 and I could just see her in the corner of my eye near the line. I dipped and she didn't and I beat her by 0.05.
    Silver 300m Went too hard in first 150 and paid for it in the last 20m and the woman that beat me in the 60m passed me about 10m before the line. I could hear her clubmates shouting at her up the straight but my legs just wouldn't turnover any faster and I felt like I had concrete boots on
    Silver 4x200m relay I went first and slightly messed up the changeover but we were still leading until the last leg when their runner just had a different gear.
    It was a fun afternoon. I'm pretty happy with my races considering everything
    Left Achilles is sore this evening when I flex my foot
    Right leg 3/5
    The Munsters are two weeks today. Can't see myself being able to do any proper sprint training before then. I think I'll have to think about doing 3 gym sessions instead of 2.
    *****HAPPY NEW YEAR*****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Happy New Year Kate.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

County Indoors

Silver 60m

Silver 300m

Silver 4x200m relay

Congratulations on your three county silver medals CM! Looks like the dip worked for you in the 60, despite my feelings about it! A great performance all round, all things considered.

Just get that flipping right leg fixed would ya! Do everything you can and nothing you shouldn't. I suppose the 'nothing you shouldn't' includes the NIA meet on the 11th next. Next time hopefully.

Mulberry wrote: »
    Congratulations on your three county silver medals CM! Looks like the dip worked for you in the 60, despite my feelings about it! A great performance all round, all things considered.

Just get that flipping right leg fixed would ya! Do everything you can and nothing you shouldn't. I suppose the 'nothing you shouldn't' includes the NIA meet on the 11th next. Next time hopefully.
    Ya I'm a fan of the dip! If you watch that video of the race we did in the NIA, the woman who was third beat me on the dip
    Much improved this week thankfully. Plan is to do a short
    run on Sunday and some hill sprints and see how that goes. Munsters are on the 14th so wouldnt do the 11th anyway. But you could guest at the Munsters if you wanted. Nenagh is a bit different to the NIA and a lot colder!!!

ItJan 1st - Jan 7th

Monday:
    Left Achilles was better. Right calf was much better than I thought it would be.
    Yoga/mobility: 30min

Tuesday:
    I was in Dublin for an eye check up. Was a bit early so went for a walk. I was really happy with my legs. No soreness in either. Into the gym in the evening
    Walk: 20 min
    Gym: 60 min
    Drop squats
    March drills

Bar squats b/b/5
    Push ups 3*10
    Mountain climbers 3*10

One leg squats 5kg 3*8ea
    Trx rows 3*10
    Renegade rows 3*6ea

Bike 5*35 sec on 25 off

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:
    I did a threshold session on the turbo in the morning. I had the HR monitor on so I could keep in the right zone.
    " This session is designed to raise lactate threshold and your ability to perform near it.

Warm-up
    5mins spinning while increasing gearing/resistance, followed by 5mins of 10secs sprint and 50secs recovery.

Main set
    3-6 x 5mins with 3min recoveries. Shift to the big chainring and work hard for 5mins (aiming for a heart rate 15-25 beats below your maximum or, if using power, FTP).

At the end of 5mins, drop to the small chainring, drop the resistance and spin easy for 3mins. Repeat this work/recovery cycle for three to six reps depending on ability.

Cool-down
    10mins easy spinning."
    Really enjoyed this. I did 3 sets and my average hr was 160/161 for the T sections. Evening session in the gym. We did some work on my technique and start position. I felt the deadlifts in my lower back again. Not in a bad way though

Bike turbo 40min
    ahr:141 max:168 rhr:46

5 min easy
    5 x 10 sec Sprint, 50 sec rec
    3 x 5 min T, 3 min rec
    6 min easy

Gym: 60min
    Drop squats + hurdles
    Plyometrics

Bar squats 2.5kg 3*6
    Dumbbell press 10kg 3*10
    Side plank 3*30s

Tbdl 70kg 3*6
    Trx rows 3*10
    Box steps 8kg 3*10

Glute Bridges band+chain 3*15 last one hold for 10
    Side pulls BW 3*10 last one hold for 10s
    Leg raises

Friday:
    Lower back was stiff. Coach said it's to be expected.
    Walk: 30min
    Yoga/mobility: 10min

Saturday:
    Early session in the gym. I brought my starting blocks and coach videoed me. It looks a little better but I'm still straightening too soon. When I'm in the set position I need to pick a spot further down the track and not look up till I get there. More explosion from the start position. More knee lift. There's a lot to work on! Back was not as sore.

Gym: 70 min
    Plyometrics
    March drills
    Sled pull

Bulgarian split squats 4*8 16kg found these tough
    One knee curls 4*8 ?wgt
    Plank arm extend 4*6

Romanian deadlift 3*6/8 2.5kg
    Chest support rows 3*12 10kg
    Deadbug 3*6

Glute Bridges 25kg 3*10 last one hold for 10s
    Trx rows 3*12
    Trx jackknife 3*10

Sunday:
    Quads were sore today

Yoga/mobility: 10 min

Run:
    10 min warm up jog
    Hill sprints 5*10m + 2*20m R 1min/2min
    10min c/d jog

Was going to do two sets of hill sprints but I could feel my calf on the first few and I didn't want to push my luck. The last one was my best. I felt like I was using my arms and knees well and it was the only one where I didn't feel any tightness in my calf. 5.5 sec for the shorter ones and 12s for the longer ones.

Plan for next week:
    Mon: rest
    Tues: gym + yoga
    Wed: rest
    Thurs: gym + yoga
    Fri: rest
    Sat: rest
    Sun: Munsters 60m/200m/relay

Jan 8th - Jan 13th

LESS IS MORE. LESS IS MORE. LESS IS MORE

This is my new mantra. It takes a bit of getting used to when my head keeps telling me more is more! It seems to apply to all aspects of my life at the moment. Diet. Exercise. Work :D

Monday:
    Rest. Quads were sore from the split squats I did on Saturday and my right leg was a bit sore as well so I decided against doing any sprint sessions this week.

Tuesday:
    Gym. Quads still a bit sore
    Drop squats
    Marching
    Sprints 3*10m leaning start 1 min R

Deadlift 4*6 70/70/75/80kg
    Push ups 3*10

Bar squats 4*8 bar/5/5/7.5kg

Bulgarian split squats 4*10 20kg
    Kettlebell rows 4*10ea 10kg
    Mountain climbers 4*10ea

Wednesday:
    Rest.

Thursday:
    Gym
    Drop squats
    Marching
    Plyometrics
    Sprints 2*10m leaning start

Step ups 24kg 3*8
    Chest support rows 24kg 3*12
    Dumbbell press 20kg 3*10
    Side planks w leg raises 3*6ea

Squats 16kg 3*10
    Single leg deadlift 8kg 3*10
    Deadbug straight leg 3*10ea

Friday:
    Rest

Saturday:
    Rest

All is good. Think my leg is about 98% right. All going well I should be able to do a couple of sessions next week. I'm thinking maybe one on Thursday and one on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Sunday:

Munster Indoors

60m: 9:50 4/6
    0.06 sec faster than county indoors 2 weeks ago. We were running in our age groups this week whereas county was a mixture and it was more competitive. The woman who won county finished second and ran a pb. Coach said my start looked slow and it felt slow. Almost like instead of powering out, I jumped out and then took a split second before I started sprinting. My leg hasn't improved as much as I thought it had. It was a bit sore during this and for the rest of the day

200m: 32:13 Bronze
    There was supposed to be 6 o35's for the 200m but only 4 ended up doing it so it was split into two heats of 2 which was a bit crap. We were waiting around all day and it was freezing even though I'd heaps of layers on and by the time this race came around, I was just ready for my bed. I was drawn in lane 3. The woman who won the 60m was in lane 4. My start felt better and I was pretty happy with my race because I felt like I didn't slow in the last 50m. Happy until I saw my time that is :rolleyes:

4 x 200m relay: 2:14 Silver
    I went first in county's but I wanted to go last today. Our change overs were much better and we finished 4 seconds faster than 2 weeks ago which was great. Thrilled with this actually.

An up and down day. Happy about some things but not so happy about others. It was a long, long day 10a.m - 6p.m. I'm really tired now. I think I'll have to take it easy again next week with my leg unfortunately :mad: Plan is
    Tues: gym
    Thurs: rest
    Fri: I will visit the track but I won't do any sprinting :)
    Sat: gym
    Sun : rest

Bravo on the Munster medals Kate, for god sake mind that leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Indeed congrats on the medals! Sorry to hear the leg is not as improved as thought. Rest as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sunday:

Munster Indoors

60m: 9:50 5/6
    0.06 sec faster than county indoors 2 weeks ago. We were running in our age groups this week whereas county was a mixture and it was more competitive. The woman who won county finished second and ran a pb. Coach said my start looked slow and it felt slow. Almost like instead of powering out, I jumped out and then took a split second before I started sprinting. My leg hasn't improved as much as I thought it had. It was a bit sore during this and for the rest of the day

There was supposed to be 6 o35's for the 200m but only 4 ended up doing it so it was split into two heats of 2 which was a bit crap. We were waiting around all day and it was freezing even though I'd heaps of layers on and by the time this race came around, I was just ready for my bed. I was drawn in lane 3. The woman who won the 60m was in lane 4. My start felt better and I was pretty happy with my race because I felt like I didn't slow in the last 50m. Happy until I saw my time that is :rolleyes:

I went first in county's but I wanted to go last today. Our change overs were much better and we finished 4 seconds faster than 2 weeks ago which was great. Thrilled with this actually.

An up and down day. Happy about some things but not so happy about others. It was a long, long day 10a.m - 6p.m. I'm really tired now. I think I'll have to take it easy again next week with my leg unfortunately :mad: Plan is
    Fri: light track session

Congrats on the medals! A break is more than deserved :)

Sunday:

Munster Indoors

60m: 9:50 5/6

Fri: light track session

First, well done on your Munster medals! A bronze and a silver and you not sprinting a wet week - well done!

Re the 60M, considering what sounded like a horrendous start your time was good. Throw in a proper start and that could knock half a second off that time. One of my clubmates did the same thing last week at the NIA in the 200, it cost her loads of time, and another clubmate has done it several times in the past. Not sure why. But it's a 'thing' obviously. So, get that sorted and your time in the 60 will plummet.

Re the 200M, I'm increasingly conscious of how important it is to be warmed up properly for sprints. Not only were you not warm, you were probably cold, and I think this could have had a big impact on your time. Perhaps your form was good and you had the speed endurance to maintain the effort all the way to the finish line, but just the cold muscles meant your time was impacted? I can't say for sure, but it sounds logical. You sensed you ran well, but you were cold and your time didn't reflect that.

One way to find out re both these races - race again!

Finally, I would throw out to you that you might re-consider your plan for this week and ditch the 'light' track session. The change in the way you run and moving to sprint-style running is almost certainly the direct cause of your injury. So if the leg injury reared its ugly head when you sprinted on Sunday, more sprinting on Friday could set you back all over again. Whereas a full 10-12 days rest could just clear it up. Your sprinting won't suffer, in my opinion.

Roll on the next race - nationals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the Medals Kate, please be sensible and mind the leg before you do irreparable damage.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Bravo on the Munster medals Kate, for god sake mind that leg.

Thanks Barry, I will :)

Indeed congrats on the medals! Sorry to hear the leg is not as improved as thought. Rest as much as you can.

Thanks. Rest? what's that again??

Only messing. I'm resting I swear :D

Congrats on the medals! A break is more than deserved :)

Thanks. I've been on a break since November though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks. Rest? what's that again??

Only messing. I'm resting I swear :D

Me too :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#wewillneverlearn

First, well done on your Munster medals! A bronze and a silver and you not sprinting a wet week - well done!

Re the 60M, considering what sounded like a horrendous start your time was good. Throw in a proper start and that could knock half a second off that time. One of my clubmates did the same thing last week at the NIA in the 200, it cost her loads of time, and another clubmate has done it several times in the past. Not sure why. But it's a 'thing' obviously. So, get that sorted and your time in the 60 will plummet.

Re the 200M, I'm increasingly conscious of how important it is to be warmed up properly for sprints. Not only were you not warm, you were probably cold, and I think this could have had a big impact on your time. Perhaps your form was good and you had the speed endurance to maintain the effort all the way to the finish line, but just the cold muscles meant your time was impacted? I can't say for sure, but it sounds logical. You sensed you ran well, but you were cold and your time didn't reflect that.

One way to find out re both these races - race again!

Finally, I would throw out to you that you might re-consider your plan for this week and ditch the 'light' track session. The change in the way you run and moving to sprint-style running is almost certainly the direct cause of your injury. So if the leg injury reared its ugly head when you sprinted on Sunday, more sprinting on Friday could set you back all over again. Whereas a full 10-12 days rest could just clear it up. Your sprinting won't suffer, in my opinion.

Roll on the next race - nationals?

Thanks the medals are nice but unfortunately they're more of a reflection of the depth of sprinters in the country than my sprinting talent!

I love the way you analyse races. It's really helpful. I never mentioned in my report that there was a false start. The woman next to me wasn't using blocks (I didn't think this was allowed in Munsters but anyway) and she broke before the gun. She was disqualified last year for doing the same thing. That might have put me off a bit too. I don't think the 60m is ever going to be a good distance for me but it's good practice for the others and the winning time was 8.60 which isn't totally out of my league if I sharpened up a bit.

Re the 200m my clubmates and I were discussing this yesterday because none of us is too sure exactly how much warming up we should be doing. Do you have a set warm up that you do at every race? My clubmates are mad to be doing laps of the track and I probably would too if I was 100% but then it's really difficult if you warm up well for say the 60m and then it's a few hours to the 200m. Do you just do the same warm up again? And how soon should you be doing the warm up before the race? We were warming up and cooling down for the day yesterday because it was so cold. The funny thing was one of the organisers came up to us before the relay about 5pm and said we'd need to be starting soon because they'd be turning off the heating!!!

Yes you're right about my plan for Friday. I have to go down to the club to drop back the starting blocks that I borrowed and I was going to join in with the session they were doing albeit at a low intensity but ya it definitely wouldn't do my leg any good. I have edited my plan accordingly!!

I'd like to do another race in the NIA. If my leg was better I'd do the 200m on the 8th of February and then it's on to Nationals :D

Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on the Medals Kate, please be sensible and mind the leg before you do irreparable damage.

Thanks Anne I will. Honestly I'm not as reckless as everyone seems to think :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Nenagh is bad news from what I’ve been told (never raced there myself and never will). It’s grand for doing some training in winter to keep out of wind and rain, but awful for racing. It’s too cold, and the 200m bends are supposedly horrific. Nenagh should not be a reflection of your warm up and warm down routines. The above factors will have an affect on your times too. We’ve 2 world class indoor tracks in Ireland at last. There’s no real reason why anybody should be risking injury racing in Nenagh anymore IMO.

Not sure why Munsters are still held there.

I always warm up the exact same way for 60m as I do for 200m btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Nenagh is bad news from what I’ve been told (never raced there myself and never will). It’s grand for doing some training in winter to keep out of wind and rain, but awful for racing. It’s too cold, and the 200m bends are supposedly horrific. Nenagh should not be a reflection of your warm up and warm down routines. The above factors will have an affect on your times too. We’ve 2 world class indoor tracks in Ireland at last. There’s no real reason why anybody should be risking injury racing in Nenagh anymore IMO.

Not sure why Munsters are still held there.

Because it's in Munster. :P

Well done on the medals CM. FWIW I would agree with those that say the times will come in more favorable settings but I think slower races have there purpose as well as no harm finding your feet with the racing. It's a short season.

In terms of the warm up I wouldn't be too worried about doing too many laps. i would be more focused on a good dynamic mobility routine and strides and drills. In terms of warming up for the second race this will depend on how conditioned you are. If conditioning is poor I would keep the second one short (same routine just lighter volume) this sort of routine is something that your track sessions etc can be good for getting into your own routine as tends to be fairly individualistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Well done on the medals CM. FWIW I would agree with those that say the times will come in more favorable settings but I think slower races have there purpose as well as no harm finding your feet with the racing. It's a short season.

In terms of the warm up I wouldn't be too worried about doing too many laps. i would be more focused on a good dynamic mobility routine and strides and drills. In terms of warming up for the second race this will depend on how conditioned you are. If conditioning is poor I would keep the second one short (same routine just lighter volume) this sort of routine is something that your track sessions etc can be good for getting into your own routine as tends to be fairly individualistic.

Haha but AIT isn’t in Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Haha but AIT isn’t in Connacht.

Whats 2 mile between friends ;)

Re the 200m my clubmates and I were discussing this yesterday because none of us is too sure exactly how much warming up we should be doing. Do you have a set warm up that you do at every race? My clubmates are mad to be doing laps of the track and I probably would too if I was 100% but then it's really difficult if you warm up well for say the 60m and then it's a few hours to the 200m. Do you just do the same warm up again? And how soon should you be doing the warm up before the race? We were warming up and cooling down for the day yesterday because it was so cold. The funny thing was one of the organisers came up to us before the relay about 5pm and said we'd need to be starting soon because they'd be turning off the heating!!!

We do the same warm up for a race as we do for training, so foam rolling, then 800M jog, then dynamic warm up, then drills, then strides. We do bands during training but I don't do them for races.

Indoors, e.g. at the NIA, between races I would tend to just repeat the drills and maybe strides, maybe a 400M run as well, I would play that by ear and see how I felt.

Outdoors is a bit trickier. I tend to jog more outdoors, I find that makes me feel good in advance of a race.

You have to find what works for you, so another reason to trek all the way to the NIA whenever you can! I suspect nothing would work though in Nenagh, by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats on the medals career move! How did the leg feel during and after? Is there a marked improvement from what it was, or are you still in bother? What does your physio say? Did he know you were racing at the weekend :eek: :D

Thank T. Just a couple of questions on the above. What's the difference between a stride and a sprint. Is there one? Is a stride more about building speed over s short distance whereas a sprint is top speed all the way? What do you mean by conditioning? Overall fitness?
    We do the same warm up for a race as we do for training, so foam rolling, then 800M jog, then dynamic warm up, then drills, then strides. We do bands during training but I don't do them for races.

Indoors, e.g. at the NIA, between races I would tend to just repeat the drills and maybe strides, maybe a 400M run as well, I would play that by ear and see how I felt.

Outdoors is a bit trickier. I tend to jog more outdoors, I find that makes me feel good in advance of a race.

You have to find what works for you, so another reason to trek all the way to the NIA whenever you can! I suspect nothing would work though in Nenagh, by the sounds of it.
    Thanks that's good to know. Ah nenagh isn't too bad. It's all a learning curve :D

RubyK wrote: »
    Congrats on the medals career move! How did the leg feel during and after? Is there a marked improvement from what it was, or are you still in bother? What does your physio say? Did he know you were racing at the weekend :eek: :D

Thanks Ruby. Half way through the 60m, I could feel my lower leg tighten. It wasn't sore but I was aware of it. After the race it wasn't as bad as during county's 2 weeks ago but it wasn't right either. I did my stretches before the 200m and the leg was sore but the stretches seemed to help. During the 200 and the relay it was still a bit tight. Sunday evening it wasn't particularly sore and I didn't notice it on Monday. It has improved but I thought it was nearly perfect whereas the reality is it's still only about 80%. I haven't been to the physio since before Xmas. I met him in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago and he was asking how I was doing and he knows I've been racing. I didn't feel like it was improving at all with the physio work. It's the gym work that I think has been the cure. I've done 5 weeks in the gym and I know it's not fully better but I don't think rest/physio would have improved it any more or any quicker. Are you back doing much yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks Ruby. Half way through the 60m, I could feel my lower leg tighten. It wasn't sore but I was aware of it. After the race it wasn't as bad as during county's 2 weeks ago but it wasn't right either. I did my stretches before the 200m and the leg was sore but the stretches seemed to help. During the 200 and the relay it was still a bit tight. Sunday evening it wasn't particularly sore and I didn't notice it on Monday. It has improved but I thought it was nearly perfect whereas the reality is it's still only about 80%. I haven't been to the physio since before Xmas. I met him in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago and he was asking how I was doing and he knows I've been racing. I didn't feel like it was improving at all with the physio work. It's the gym work that I think has been the cure. I've done 5 weeks in the gym and I know it's not fully better but I don't think rest/physio would have improved it any more or any quicker. Are you back doing much yourself?

Good news that there is improvement with the leg, yes, the gym work seems to be doing the trick for you. Imagine the golds you will be collecting when the leg is 100% :D I'm into week 3 now of being back on the roads. Taking it very easy, fitness was shot, but last nights run felt better. Leg not quite 100%, there is tightness there, sometime even during the day sitting at the desk, but the pain behind the knee is gone when running. Keep up the great gym work!

Jan 15th - Jan 21st

Tuesday:
    Gym: 90 min
    Warm up

Drop squats (better)
    Sprints from leaning start: 3 x ~ 10m. I could feel my leg tighten slightly doing these
    Marching
    Skipping
    Prowler

Deadlifts 4*5 80 - 90kg wgt incr over the 4 sets
    Press ups 3*10

Romanian deadlift 4*6 20 - 25 kg wgt incr over the 4 sets
    Chest support rows 4*8 20kg

Bar squats 4*6 5kg

Bulgarian split squats 3*10 ea 20kg
    Renegade rows 3*10 10kg

Wednesday:
    Bike turbo:
    ahr:127 max:164
    5 min easy
    4 x 5 min T, 3 min rec
    8 min easy
    Av HR for T sections 149, 155, 155, 157 - lower than when I did this session 2 weeks ago. Might have been because it was very cold
    I entered the European masters 200m on Mar 22nd in Madrid. My sprint coach was not a bit impressed when I told him. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not good enough, or I'm still not injury free or if he's in a bad mood with me because I'm not going to his training sessions and he thinks I'm doing sprint sessions with the gym coach. Who knows??

Friday
    As per plan I went down to the club to drop back the starting blocks. There was snow on the track but I did some block starts in the hall. About 6 up to 10m. They felt better. The club was having their AGM and I thought it would be rude not to go especially since they'd sent a whatsapp the day before asking all the seniors to attend. Anyway, I still not quite sure how it happened but I ended up with the job of club secretary :confused: The bonus to this I think, is that I can borrow the blocks whenever I want

Saturday
    The club were doing a sprint session at 9a.m but I already had my gym session booked with the coach since last week. I could do the gym on my own but I prefer when the coach is there because I work harder and he corrects me immediately when I'm not lifting right. Also my leg is still only about 80% and I think I need to go back to basics and be able to run at an easy pace without pain before I jump back into the sprinting. It's a bit of a race against time, 6 weeks to nationals and 8.5 to europeans.
    Gym 90 min
    Warm up

Drop squats
    Marching
    Prowler
    Wall switches
    Sprints leaning start 10m x 2

Bar squats 5*6 (bar, 5, 7.5, 10kg) Form better today
    DB press 3*8 25kg

Glute to hamstring press 3*8
    Rows 3*8 ea 15kg
    Kneeling arm extension 3*8 10kg

Step ups 3*10 ea 25kg
    Squat to overhead press 3*10 20kg
    Trx rows 3*10
    Trx jackknife 3*10

Sunday:
    Run: 36 min, 6k
    3 x (10 min run, 2 min walk)
    Pace (8:56, 8:59, 9:46)
    HR (152, 163, 162)

Leg was a bit tight especially for the first 10 min. The last 10 min it was about 95% normal. HR is quite high for easy effort. Some explanations: 1)I've had a head cold since Wed. RHR was 48 yest but back down to 43 today 2)I was warm because it was mild but very wet so I was wearing 2 t shirts and a fleece and I had a cap on 3)I was making a conscious effort to lift my knees a fraction higher on every stride. I find I have to work much harder when I do this because my default action is to barely lift my knees at all 4) the last one had a hill in the middle 300m long, 8% incline. HR stayed the same up the hill but pace dropped.

Bike turbo: 55 min
    ahr:138 max:167

1) 10 min resistance easy R1, (G4 for all except 12)
    2) 5 min increasing resistance but high cadence R4
    3) 2 min recovery R1
    4) 4 x 30 sec on R6, 30 sec off R1
    5) 2 min recovery R1
    6) 4 min standing sprint R10
    7) 2 min recovery R1
    8) 6 x 1 min on R3, 30 sec off R1
    9) 2 min recovery R1
    10) 4 min standing sprint R10
    11) 6 min recovery moderate resistance, high cadence R1
    12) 5 min very easy spinning R1, G0

Best of luck with the Euro’s Kate, you have proved time & again that when you put your mind to something there’s no stopping you. Your sprint coach sounds like great crack!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Commiserations on the club job ;)

Best of luck with the Euro’s Kate, you have proved time & again that when you put your mind to something there’s no stopping you. Your sprint coach sounds like great crack!!
    Thanks ya I was disappointed with his reaction but the gym coach was yay europeans let's go! Moral to the story .... surround yourself with people who are going to lift you up not bring you down :D
    RayCun wrote: »
    Commiserations on the club job ;)
    Thats my good deed done for the year!!!!

Jan 22nd - 25th

Monday:
    Bike turbo: 30min easy spinning. This is like a recovery run for me. Very enjoyable listening to The Coronas

Tuesday:
    Gym: 1hr 20
    Warm up x 20min
    Drop squats
    One legged drop squats (balance not good)
    Trx drop squats
    Kettlebell drop squats 8kg 2*6
    Plank arm lift 6ea
    Mountain climbers 6ea
    Marching x 4 last 2 with 3kg medicine ball overhead
    Wall switches
    Medicine ball slams 3*8
    Leaning sprints x 2 @10m (felt better & looked better)

Deadlifts 60kg w/u x 5 then 3*4 @ 100kg
    Lying dumbbell press 10kg ea x 8 then 3*6 @ 15kg ea

Romanian deadlifts 20kg x 6 then 3*6 @ 30kg
    Birddog rows 3*8/10/10 @ 15kg

Bar squats 20kg x 6 then 3*6 @ 30kg with box
    Chest support rows 3*8 @ 16kg ea
    Press ups 3*8
    Kneeling arm extension 3*8

This is week 7 since I started the gym work. I've lost over 2kg in the last 3 weeks. I'm hoping if I get leaner I'll tun faster. Every millisecond counts ;)

Wednesday:

Bike turbo threshold session: 55min
    ahr:135 max:165

5 min easy
    5 x 5 min T, 3 min rec
    5 min v easy
    Av HR for T sections 153, 155, 155, 155, 154
    Rec HR 132, 131, 135, 131, 131

It takes me at least 2.5 minutes to get my heart rate up above 160 and then I hold it there till the end of the rep and then I try to get it back down below 130 as quickly as I can in the 3 min recovery by taking slow deep breaths. That takes between 1-2 min depending on what rep I'm on. I really enjoy these sessions. It wasn't as cold today so the av HRs are more where they should be. Last week they were a bit low but I think that's cause it was so cold. I was dripping in sweat at the end .... such a good feeling :D

Thursday:
    Gym: 1hr 40

Warm up
    Drop squats
    Single leg drop squats (slightly better)
    Wall switches
    Marching

Front squats with box 5*6 20kg/30kg/32.5kg/32.5kg/35kg
    Without box 3*6 @ 30kg

Bulgarian split squats 3*8ea 12kg ea (these felt so hard)
    Rows 3*8ea 16kg

One legged glute Bridges 3*12
    Curl to dumbbell press 3*8 7.5kg ea
    Trx rows 3*12
    Renegade rows 7.5kgea 3*8

Had a headache this evening and everything just felt really hard. My front squats are way better though. Progress :)

Friday:

Rest

Saturday:

Gym:
    Warm up
    Drop squats
    Prowler
    Marching
    Wall switches
    Jumps
    Medicine ball
    Sprints x 2

Back supported glute Bridges 3*10 50/60/60kg
    Dumbbell press 3*8 12.5kg easy

Front squats no box Bar warm up then 3*6 @ 30kg

Kettlebell rows 3*12 @ 12kg easy
    Plank plate drag 2*5

I was told off (again) for not getting enough recovery and delaying recovery of my leg. Absolutely no running for the next two weeks and 2 full recovery days every week

Sunday:
    Bike turbo intervals
    ahr:126 max:169

1) 10 min resistance easy R1, G1
    2) 5 min increasing resistance but high cadence up to G7
    3) 2 min recovery R1
    4) 4 x 30 sec on R4, 30 sec off R1
    5) 2 min recovery R1
    6) 4 min standing sprint R7 hr156
    7) 2 min recovery R1
    8) 6 x 1 min on R2, 30 sec off R1
    9) 2 min recovery R1
    10) 4 min standing sprint R7 hr 160
    11) 7 min recovery moderate resistance, high cadence R1
    12) 5 min very easy spinning R1, G0

Higher gears this week. Higher max HR but lower average maybe because I did an extra 5 min spinning at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Aha maybe if I checked in here for the detail I'd stop asking questions on AP!

So are you sticking to the no running...?

Aha maybe if I checked in here for the detail I'd stop asking questions on AP!

So are you sticking to the no running...?

:D I'd say you're the only person who visits me on AP!

I am indeed. Hard to believe I know but sometimes I do actually do as I'm told :D

Jan 29th - Feb 4th

Monday:
    Rest

Tuesday:
    Gym
    Warm up
    Drop squats
    One legged drop squats
    Trx drop squats
    Kettlebell drop squats 8kg 2*5
    Plank arm lift 5ea
    Mountain climbers 10ea+ 5ea
    Marching x 4 last 2 with 3kg medicine ball overhead
    Wall switches
    Medicine ball slams 3*8
    Leaning sprints x 3 @10m

Deadlifts 80kg w/u x 5 then 4*4 @ 100/101/102/102kg
    Lying dumbbell press 4*6 @ 15kg ea

Romanian deadlifts 3*8 @ 30kg first set not good and also last 2 in other sets
    Birddog rows 3*8 @ 15kg

Bar squats 3*6 @ 30kg
    Press ups 3*8 2nd and 3rd set with 2.5kg on my back

Wednesday:
    Bike turbo: 40min easy
    ahr:81 max:95

Thursday:
    Gym
    Warm up

Drop squats
    Single leg drop squats
    Wall switches
    Marching/skipping + w medicine ball + w harness
    Medicine ball throws
    Plyometric jumps

Front squats warm up 6@20kg then 3*5@30kg and 1*5@35kg

Bulgarian split squats 3*8ea 16kg ea
    Rows 3*8 16kg

Back supported glute Bridges 3*12 @ 50kg last one hold for 5
    Trx rows 3*12

Friday:
    Rest

Saturday:
    Gym
    Warm up
    Drop squats
    Plank 3*7 legs/arms/legs
    Prowler
    Marching + w medicine ball
    Wall switches
    Plyometric Jumps

Front squats warm up 5 @20kg then 5 @ 30kg then 3*5 @ 35kg
    Plank 3sec pause 3*5

Core standing arm rotation 3*10ea
    Kettlebell rows 3*10 @ 15kg easy

Sunday:
    Track session :D:D
    Warm up
    Drop squats
    One legged drop squats
    Marching
    Skipping
    Stretch x2

10m leaning start, 1min R
    15m block start, 90 sec R
    30m block start, 3min R

Change into spikes

30m leaning start, 3min R
    15m block start, 90sec R
    10m block start, 1 min R

3min R

200m leaning start. Drive to 10m. Pull back around bend then full acceleration down home straight

I've had a really good week. My RHR is down to 39 and I've lost 5lb since the start of January. The gym is going well. I feel really strong and the icing on the cake was the short track session I did this morning. My leg felt a tiny bit weak but absolutely no pain whatsoever during or after. Delighted! I have lost some fitness and I was blowing like a train after the 200 but hopefully that will come back quickly. #winning

• Advertisement

I feel really strong and the icing on the cake was the short track session I did this morning. My leg felt a tiny bit weak but absolutely no pain whatsoever during or after. Delighted! I have lost some fitness and I was blowing like a train after the 200 but hopefully that will come back quickly. #winning

At last!

Roll on the nationals and the Europeans!

Great stuff Kate, winning is right, sensible now.

At last!

Roll on the nationals and the Europeans!

Yee haw living the dream :D

Great stuff Kate, winning is right, sensible now.

Barry, sensible is my middle name!!!!!!!!!! :D

Feb 5th - Feb 8th

Monday:
    Rest

Tuesday:
    Gym - not a great session. I felt like I was doing everything wrong
    Drop squats
    One legged drop squats (Balance crap today)
    Trx drop squats 3*5 (Knees bleugh)
    Kettlebell drop squats 8kg 3*5
    Plyometric jumps (Bleugh Balance Knees)
    Plank arm lift 8ea
    Mountain climbers 8ea
    Marching/Skipping last 3 with 3kg medicine ball overhead
    Wall switches

Deadlifts w/u x 5+1 then 4*4 @ 105kg
    Lying dumbbell press 4*5 @ 17.5kg ea Left arm!!! Bleugh

Bar squats wu @30kg *6 then 4*6 @ 35/35/37.5/37.5kg
    Press ups 2*5 2 sec pause 3rd set plain *8 Bleugh

Romanian deadlifts 3*8 @ 30/35/37.5kg
    Birddog rows 3*8 @ 15kg

Wednesday:
    Rest. Had planned a bike session but I was working from 7am to 6pm and on call for the evening. When I got home, I had something to eat and then went straight to bed (after saying a little prayer that my phone wouldn't ring - it didn't) I slept for 12 hours. So good :D

Thursday:
    Gym - really good session today although I was not impressed at having to do 5 sets of front squats (7 really if you include the warm up)
    Warm up
    Drop squats
    Single leg drop squats
    Fast feet
    Bounds
    Plyometric jumps
    Kettlebell drop squats 8kg 3*5
    Trx reaction drop squats 3*5
    Plank 2 x5 ea legs/arms + 10 sec hold elbow and foot elevatef
    Marching/skipping + w medicine ball + w harness
    Medicine ball throws rotation
    Sprints 10m x 3

Front squats warm up (5@20kg + 5@30kg) then 5*5@35kg

Bulgarian split squats 3*9ea 16kg ea
    Rows 3*916kg

Hamstring curls 3*8
    Trx rows 3*12

Feb 9th - Feb 12th

Friday:
    Balls. Balls. Balls. My leg was sore today. I ran out to the car park from the front door in work ~ 200m and I could feel it. I think it was the hamstring curls. I've done them before and they didn't seem to make my leg any worse but that's the only thing I did different to last week in the gym. My calf cramped on the first set but I rubbed it out with the foam roller and I didn't feel any pain on the other two sets. So annoying.

Saturday:
    Gym - upper body only
    Kettlebell kneeling curl to press 8kg ea 4*8/8/8/10
    Kettlebell rows 1,1,2 12kg ea 4* 5/5/8/10
    Deadbug 4*12

One arm lying DB press 3*10 ea 12.5kg
    Rows 17.5kg 3*10
    Trx jackknife 3*12

Ropes 30sec x 5
    Medicine ball slams 15 x 5

Bike arms.only 40sec x 4

Sunday:
    I agreed with my coach to attempt the track session but if I felt any pain during the warm up to pull the plug. I jogged out the road when I got up about 200m and back because it was snowing and I didn't want to drive down to the track if my leg wasn't right. The leg felt ok. Maybe a little stiff but no pain so I had breakfast and about an hour later went to the track. I thought it would be open but seemingly everyone had gone to Galway with the juniors so I had to climb in over the gates. It was freezing but luckily I just missed a snow shower and the straight bit of the track had no snow on it so I could use my spikes. I jogged a lap. Leg felt good. I did a couple of strides down the straights, jogging the bends really slowly and then I did some drills. All good with the leg. I wanted to do 5 x 80m but coach said if my leg was sore at any stage to park it. I had my coat hanging on the fence at what I guessed was 80m. It looked halfway between 60 and 100 anyway. I did a leaning start. No pain during the rep but I did notice some tightness when I was finished. I walked the 8 min recovery and it loosened out so I said I'd do another. This time I started like I was in the blocks (but without the blocks if you get me) and there was no tightness at the finish. I did the full set alternating leaning starts with fake block starts. I felt strong and I'm happy I got it done. I had my watch on with the intervals set to 0.08k but it wasn't measuring them properly, cause the first one I was nearly at the 100m finish when it beeped. I just stopped it manually after that and I not too bothered about the times/distance because I mostly just wanted it so that I had something to react to at the start. No pain or tightness during the cool down but in the evening I noticed it was a bit tight. No where near as bad as it has been but not as good as it was last week

Track: ahr:120 max:169

15 min w/u
    5 x 80 m, 8 min R (12.8, 11.9, 12.1, 13, 13.1)
    12 min c/d

Monday
    Rest. Leg has improved but it's not perfect. I was going to do two runs this week but I think I'll hold off on that for another while

I read all that with bated breath!

Thank goodness for that.

Could the tightness be as a result of the cold and running very fast on muscles that aren't properly warmed up?

And shouldn't the club secretary have a key to the gate?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Four point start :)

You could do a falling start (maybe you already are!) Lean forward until your leg comes out to stop you falling, and that's your first stride.

One thing to watch out for is that your first stride is not too long, it has to be driving behind you, not braking in front of you. If you start a short distance behind the line, you can make sure that your foot lands behind the line on your first step.

I read all that with bated breath!

That's how I was all through the session :eek:
    Could the tightness be as a result of the cold and running very fast on muscles that aren't properly warmed up?

It could be but I don't think so as it was localised in the area around the back of the knee where the injury was.
    And shouldn't the club secretary have a key to the gate?!

I haven't taken up my office yet but I think it's something that could be brought up at the next meeting ;)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Four point start :)

You could do a falling start (maybe you already are!) Lean forward until your leg comes out to stop you falling, and that's your first stride.

One thing to watch out for is that your first stride is not too long, it has to be driving behind you, not braking in front of you. If you start a short distance behind the line, you can make sure that your foot lands behind the line on your first step.

Thanks Ray. Ya that's what I'm doing I think. I call it a leaning start. I stand on my tippy toes and lean forward until I feel I can't hold my centre of gravity upright and then I step forward. I'm better at these than the four point starts cause I feel with the four point starts that I stand up quicker than I should, instead of jumping forward

Advertisement