Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think with the four point start, you have to get used to the set position being an uncomfortable lean forward, so your start is a cross between a push and a fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Feb 13th - Feb 18th

Tuesday:
    Gym
    Warm up
    Assisted pistol squats 3*5
    Drop squats
    One legged drop squats
    Plyometric jumps
    Plank arm lift 5ea
    Mountain climbers 5ea
    Plank raise L arm R leg 10sec ea
    Marching/Skipping last 3 with 3kg medicine ball overhead
    Wall switches x 1
    Lunge jumps 3*6ea
    Medicine ball chest throws and rotational slams x 8 ea
    Sprints 10m x 3

Deadlifts w/u @ 40kg x 5 + 5 @ 70kg then 4*4/3/3/3/ @ 107kg
    Lying dumbbell press w/u @ 7.5kg ea + 4*5 @ 15kg ea

Romanian deadlifts 3*8 @ 30/35/37.5kg
    Press ups 3*5 2 sec pause

Bar squats wu @20kg x 5 + 2 x 30kg *5 then 4*6 @ 35kg

Birddog rows 3*8 @ 17.5kg
    Chest support rows 3*8 @ 17.5kg ea
    Kneeling arm extension 3*8

I've started doing assisted pistol squats in my warm up. They're supposed to be good for rehab of gastrocnemius injuries. (I think I have gastrocnemius tendonitis) https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/pistol-perfect-one-legged-squats-and-beyond.html

Wednesday:
    Swim: 1600m as 6*250 + 100
    Used the pull buoy for all of this. The inside of my right knee was sore afterwards. I don't know why

Thursday:
    Gym
    Warm up
    Drop squats
    Single leg drop squats
    Fast feet
    Bounds
    Plyometric jumps
    Plank 2 x5 ea legs/arms + 10 sec hold elbow and foot elevated
    Marching/skipping + w medicine ball + w harness
    Sprints x 4 3 point start better when right leg behind

Deadlifts (power) 3*3 @ 60kg

Front squats warm up 5@20kg + 5@30kg + 5@35kg then 4*5@37.5kg

Bulgarian split squats 4*5@ 20kg ea
    Rows 4*8 @20kg

Back supported glute bridge 3*10 hold last one 10sec @60kg
    Curl to dumbbell press 3*8 7.5kg ea
    Trx rows 3*12
    Renegade rows 7.5kgea 3*8

Tough session. My legs were sore the day after

Friday/Saturday:
    Rest

Sunday:
    Track session
    ahr:127 max:176

20 min w,u
    3*150m 15min R 23.93, 23.75, 23.97
    20 min cd

I'm on holidays in Honolulu till next Saturday. I wanted to find a track to do this but I needed to do it at 6am and it was dark so I just went to the nearest park. It actually worked out well. The first 100m I did on the grass because I thought I'd have a better grip for starting. The sun rose during the second recovery. It was pretty epic. The sky was an amazing shade of pink and I had the Pacific ocean on my right, palm trees on my left and the Diamond Head volcano straight ahead. Life does not get much better than this!! I only had the gps on my watch to measure the distance so I'm not sure how accurate it is but it was beeping in the same place every time so at least they're consistent :D Happy with how this went. I noticed a little tightness in my leg after the first rep again this week. It was less than last week and went away again during the recovery walk. We did at least 3 hours walking later on in the day, up to the top of the volcano and just general sightseeing. I felt my leg was a little tight starting off but I didn't notice it once we had done some climbing. There was flash floods here this evening. Also thunder and lightening. Pretty dramatic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Enjoy the holidays Kate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I did my J1 in Waikiki back 12 years ago. Great spot. Get yourself to Kailua beach, Makapu beach, Hanauma Bay (for snorkeling) and of course do a trip along the North Shore. Heaven.

Pearl Harbour if you fancy some chest pumping U S A U S A patriotism. Peace Museum and memorial in Hiroshima is far better and more dignified though.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Have a brilliant time you lucky duck!

You'll come back all refreshed, relaxed and limber - just in time for the national indoor masters. Nice!

PS I can't believe you can deadlift 107kg...what am I doing wrong!

• Advertisement

Feb 19th - Feb 26th

Monday:
    Swam in the ocean for about 20min. It was a lovely temp and the waves weren't too rough. We went to Pearl Harbour and saw the wreck of the battleship Arizona. Imagine being this guy http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/24/local/la-me-kermit-tyler25-2010feb25
    and telling everyone there's nothing to worry about when the first Japanese plains were picked up on the radar.
    We went on a WWII submarine as well. It must have been pretty grim to be a submariner. Really hot and cramped and claustrophobic. I feel bad for the guy who was on the top bunk because there's no way anyone could sleep comfortably up there with so little room and the sloped ceiling. We also saw a Japanese kaiten torpedo. These were manned by kamikaze pilots who were welded in. Some people have really sh!tty lives!

Tuesday:
    Gym
    Drop squats
    One legged drop squats
    Plyometric jumps
    Stretches
    Marching/Skipping

Lying dumbbell press w/u @ 7.5kg ea + 4*8 @ 15kg ea
    Press ups 4*6 2 sec pause

Birddog rows 4*8 @ 25kg
    Chest support rows 4*8 @ 20kg ea
    Kneeling arm extension 4*8

Run: 25min

The gym in the hotel was pretty basic but at least the aircon was good and it opened at 5am which meant I could get my training done early. I went for a run with the others afterwards. They ran for an hour but I turned back after 25 min cause I was afraid to do too much. We ran on the path by the beach. The rest of the day was spent exploring and I walked for hours so I decided a rest day was needed tomorrow.

Wednesday:
    Rest. It was hot today around 28C. We swam in a sheltered rocky bay. The water is a beautiful, clear blue and when you're swimming you can see loads of fish of all different shapes and sizes and colours. It's super cool

Thursday:
    Gym
    Hip flexor stretch
    Glute Bridges
    W g stretch
    Inchworm

Drop squats
    Single leg drop squats
    Fast feet
    Bounds

Lunge jumps 3*5ea
    Plank 2 x6 ea legs/arms + 10 sec hold elbow and foot elevated
    Medicine ball rotational slams 3 x 10

Pistol squats 4*6
    Rows 4*8 @20kg
    Side plank leg raise 4*6/7/8/9 ea

Bulgarian split squats 4x6 @ 20kg ea
    Curl to dumbbell press 4x8 @ 12.5kg ea
    Renegade rows 4x8 @ 12.5kg ea

I went to the gym early again and got a good session done. My quads were a bit sore later on in the day. We hired a car and toured around North Island. We stopped at a few beaches and hiked around Turtle Bay. The traffic in Honolulu is mental. From 3pm - 6pm the cars are bumper to bumper for around 20km around the city. President Obama approved plans for building an elevated train track linking the main residential areas to the airport and the city but like all of these kinds of projects, it's behind schedule and over budget.

Friday:
    Rest
    Had a really cool day on Kualoa ranch. It's a 4000 acre nature retreat and around 65 movies have been shot there. Highlight of the trip was the 3 hour zipline tour.

Saturday:
    Rest. Flying home

Sunday:
    Rest. Thought I'd be home yesterday but I got my days mixed up and I was somewhere over the Atlantic when I thought I'd be doing my track session.

Monday:
    Run
    ahr:131 max:162

20 min w/u
    2 x (2 x 150m), 5 min/10min 25.91, 26.23, 25.71, 25.6
    22 min c/d

I did this at home because it was windy and cold and there's a nice sheltered bit of road just outside my house where I used to do strides that I thought would be perfect. I felt good. I forgot to do it for the first one but for the others I tried to drive hard at the start to the telegraph pole using my arms, float to the gate and then push hard to the next telgraph pole or until my watch beeped :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You're back already! Sounds fab :) how's the leg doing K?

You're back already! Sounds fab :) how's the leg doing K?

Leg is pretty good thanks. Still a little tight at times so I need to be careful but it should be good for the weekend :)

Feb 27th - Mar 4th

Tuesday:
    Gym
    Warm up
    Pistol squats 3*6
    Drop squats x5
    One legged drop squats x5 ea

Plyometric jumps 3*4
    Plank arm lift 8ea
    Mountain climbers 8ea

Marching/Skipping x 3 with 3kg medicine ball overhead
    Sprints 10m x 4, 1 min R

Deadlifts w/u 5@70kg + 4@90kg then 4*4@110kg
    Lying dumbbell press w/u @ 7.5kg ea + 4*6 @ 15kg ea

Romanian deadlifts wu 5@20kg + 6 @40kg then 3*8 @ 50kg
    Press ups 1*10 then 3*8 weighted 2.5kg

Bar squats wu @20kg x 5 + 30kg *5 then 4*6 @ 35kg
    Birddog rows 4*8 @ 12.5kg

Chest support rows 3*8 @ 20kg ea
    Kneeling arm extension 3*8ea @3

I was really strong today and I'd loads of energy.

Wednesday:
    Rest. My back was a tiny bit stiff from the deadlifts but that's to be expected

Thursday:
    Gym was closed and I finished work early. Nationals postponed to next Saturday. I felt like doing a turbo session so that's what I did :)
    Bike turbo: 1hr
    ahr:121 max:164

1) 10 min resistance easy R1, G1
    2) 5 min increasing resistance but high cadence up to G10
    3) 2 min recovery R1
    4) 4 x 30 sec on R4, G2, 30 sec off R1
    5) 2 min recovery R1
    6) 4 min standing sprint R9,G2 hr 152
    7) 2 min recovery R1
    8) 6 x 1 min on R4, G2, 30 sec off R1
    9) 2 min recovery R1
    10) 4 min standing sprint R9 G2, hr 151
    11) 7 min recovery moderate resistance, high cadence R3
    12) 5 min very easy spinning R1, G0

HR was lower today than when I did this session Jan 28. I felt strong and I increased the resistance at least 1 on every rep compared to the last time

Friday:
    No work but my legs were tired so I had another rest day

Saturday:
    Run.
    6 x 60m hill sprints, full recovery
    I did this on the hill up to the hay Barn at home. It's not very steep but the snow was deep and I had my wellies on. Not ideal but I got a good workout

Sunday:
    S&C 45min
    Hip flexor stretch
    Glute Bridges
    W g stretch
    Inchworm
    Downward dog

Drop squats x5
    Single leg drop squats x5
    Fast feet
    Bounds 4 x 3

Lunge jumps 3*6ea
    Plank 2 x 9 ea legs/arms + 10 sec hold elbow and foot elevated
    Wall switches x3 (single+double x5)

Pistol squats 3 x 7ea
    Rows 3 x 10 @10kg
    Side plank leg raise 3 x 10 ea

Single leg deadlift 10kg ea 3 x 6/7/8 ea
    Bulgarian split squats 3 x 10@ 20kg
    Curl to dumbbell press 3 x 8 @ 10kg ea

My leg is really good this week. Happy days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Mulberry wrote: »

PS I can't believe you can deadlift 107kg...what am I doing wrong!

107kg is good but nothing compared to shifting horses around. Kate is just generally strong!

Best of luck to you both in Madrid!

• Advertisement

How’s the leg ahead of the weekend?

OOnegative wrote: »
    How’s the leg ahead of the weekend?

Leg is excellent now thanks for asking. It's 17 days since I last had any pain or stiffness in it so I don't want to jinx myself but I think it might be finally healing :D

Leg is excellent now thanks for asking. It's 17 days since I last had any pain or stiffness in it so I don't want to jinx myself but I think it might be finally healing :D

Good stuff!! Athlone still on the cards for the weekend?

Good stuff!! Athlone still on the cards for the weekend?

Yip. We have a bus going from the club. I'm doing the 60m, 200m and the relay so it's going to be a llllllong day. The 60 is at 12:15, the 200 is 16:30 and the relay is 18:30. At least I'll have lots of practice warming up and cooling down :D

Yip. We have a bus going from the club. I'm doing the 60m, 200m and the relay so it's going to be a llllllong day. The 60 is at 12:15, the 200 is 16:30 and the relay is 18:30. At least I'll have lots of practice warming up and cooling down :D

Long day is right, plenty of practice for the Euro’s, best of luck with it Kate #GoNailtheNats.

Mon 5th - Sun 11th

Monday:
    Bike turbo: 30min
    I needed some exercise. My diet has gone to pot since I went on holidays :mad:

Tuesday:
    Gym
    Warm up
    Pistol squats 3*7 ea
    Drop squats x5
    One legged drop squats + jump x 4 ea

Plyometric jumps 4 x 4
    Plank arm lift 8ea
    Mountain climbers 8ea

Kettlebell squats + jump @8kg 3*5
    Trx reactive squats 3*6

Marching/Skipping x 2 with 3kg medicine ball overhead
    2/1 skips 2*3 ea

Sprints 10m x 3, 1 min R

Deadlifts w/u 5@70kg + 5@90kg + 4@9/100kg then 4*4@110kg
    Lying dumbbell press 4*6 @ 15kg ea

Bar squats wu 5@20kg + 5@30kg + 6@35kg then 4 x 6 @37.5kg

Romanian deadlifts wu 5@20kg + 6 @40kg then 3*8 @ 50kg
    One armed rows 3*8 @ 18.5kg

Birddog rows 3*8 @ 18.5kg
    Kneeling arm extension 3*8ea @3

Tuesday is 'killer session in the gym' day .... it's my favourite day of the week at the moment :)

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:
    Gym - upper body mostly
    Warm up
    Pistol squats 1*10

Press ups 4*8
    Trx rows 4*12
    Trx jackknife 4*12

Front squats Wu 5@20kg then 4*6@30kg

Curl to db press 4"8@7.5kg early
    One armed rows 4*8@20kg
    Renegade rows 4*8@7.5kg early

I was so tired today. Combination of the gym on Tuesday and work. Had a nice light session today thankfully. All systems go for the weekend!

Friday:
    Rest

Saturday:
    National Masters
    60m 9.03 PB and Bronze
    Didn't feel like I ran a good race. I was last out of the blocks (my reaction times are dismal I'd imagine) and just caught my clubmate on the line.

200m 30.76 PB and Bronze
    Really happy with this. I ran a good race and I did what I wanted more or less. Break strong out of the blocks, relax down the back, pick it up around the bend and then give it socks to the finish. I was lucky cause I was drawn in lane 3 and had my clubmate in lane 5 to target (the other two girls in my heat are a good bit faster so I wasn't focusing on them). I passed my clubmate round the bottom bend but then I thought I could hear her closing on me up the home straight and I think that made me run faster. We both got pbs but I'm sure she was a bit fed up cause I beat her by 0.12 in the 60m and she hasn't seen me at training since before xmas. Super happy when I saw my time. I knew I'd run the race I wanted but I really wanted a good time too and my previous pb was 31.5 so that's a good chunk knocked off.

2*200m relay 2:09:97 PB and Bronze
    My legs were tired for this and it was late by the time it was on. There was 5 teams entered but only 3 lined up. Us, templemore and dunboyne. After the 2nd leg templemore had a clear lead and we were third. My clubmate ran a super third leg and passed the baton to me in second. I made a mistake by not tucking in quickly enough after the change over but I had a good lead down the back. I could hear by the supporters that Dunboyne were closing on me and I gave it everything I had. It was nip and tuck up the home straight but the other woman just got me at the finish. It was very exciting .... that's what my clubmates said anyway. I was a bit disappointed but I knew I gave it everything so what can you do. C'est la vie!

Really good day. Athlone is a fantastic track and SO WARM!!! It's like a foreign country compared to Nenagh :D

Massive congrats to Mulberry and her Dunboyne teammates for their great run in the relay and to Mulberry for her double gold in the 60m and the 200m and her shiny new sub 29 #legend :D:D

You are amazing Kate, huge well done on the haul of National medals. Some lady!!!

Whoop whoop! You nailed it K!! Delighted for you - can’t believe you let that Meath crowd get you in the relay though :p in fairness they’re pretty awesome :)

All systems go for Madrid now!!!!!!

Congrats on the PBs. Sub 30 for outdoors now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Excellent results, CM, congrats. Nice haul too - well deserved.

• Advertisement

Thanks all :D

@chivito county outdoors is at the end of April. If I could run sub 30 there it would be fantastic :D

Thanks all :D

@chivito county outdoors is at the end of April. If I could run sub 30 there it would be fantastic :D

Haha April is early. There’s a long summer ahead with plenty of racing opportunities. You want good weather to run fast outdoors, so give yourself a good few chances so that you’ll get one fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done, best of luck for the outdoor season! #CMNailedTheNats

Two national bronze medals and you hardly sprinting a wet week - can't wait to see where it goes from here! Congratulations!

You are amazing Kate, huge well done on the haul of National medals. Some lady!!!
    Dum di dum *waits patiently for HM report* :p
    Whoop whoop! You nailed it K!! Delighted for you - can’t believe you let that Meath crowd get you in the relay though :p in fairness they’re pretty awesome :)

All systems go for Madrid now!!!!!!
    I really didnt let them win at all :D
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    Haha April is early. There’s a long summer ahead with plenty of racing opportunities. You want good weather to run fast outdoors, so give yourself a good few chances so that you’ll get one fast one.
    Ya but the way I see it is I've got under 31 with limited sprinting and on the back of all the gym work and I have 5 weeks after Madrid to improve!
    Well done, best of luck for the outdoor season! #CMNailedTheNats
    Two national bronze medals and you hardly sprinting a wet week - can't wait to see where it goes from here! Congratulations!
    Well to be fair I got lucky. Avril Dillon pulled out of the 60m after she injured herself in the hurdles and the woman who beat me in the 200m in Munsters didn't run sat cause she was saving herself for the relay. But I'm happy to medal by default :D:D

Two hard gym days this week and nothing else. I had a bit of DOMS Sunday and Monday after Saturday but I'm really happy that my calf/tendon is not giving too much trouble. If I had to pick one exercise for rehab I'd probably pick the pistol squats. I do these in the gym holding onto a pillar and at home holding onto a door frame.
    I've been fending off a head cold for the last few days. My RHR is slightly higher than normal and I wake up with a very dry throat that I think might develop into a sore throat but hasn't yet. I was going to do a track session Sunday but the DOMS in my glutes today has me thinking that a short session on Monday would serve me better.

Tuesday:

Gym
    Warm up
    Pistol squats 3*8ea
    Drop squats x5
    One legged drop squats + jump x 4 ea

Marching/Skipping x 5 with 3kg medicine ball overhead
    2/1 skips 2*5ea

Sprints 10m x 4, 1 min R

Deadlifts w/u 5@70kg + 5@90kg + 1@110kg then 4*3@115kg
    Lying dumbbell press 4*6 @ 15kg ea last set 17.5kg ea

Bar squats wu 5@20kg + 5@30kg + 5@35kg + 5@37.5kg then 3 x 5 40@kg
    Press ups 2 sec pause 4 x 6

Romanian deadlifts wu 5@20kg + 8@40kg then 4*8 @ 50kg first set 60kg
    Birddog rows 4 x 8 @ 16.5kg
    Chest support rows 4 x 8 @ 16kg ea
    Kneeling arm extension 4 x8 @ 3

Thursday:

Gym
    Warm up
    Pistol squats 3 x 9
    Side plank leg raises 3 x 10ea

Drop squats
    Single leg drop squats
    Fast feet

Marching/skipping x 4
    2/1 skips x 9ea
    Prowler march down/sprint back x 2
    Sprints x 3

Front squats warm up 5@20kg + 5@30kg + 3@35kg then 4*6@40kg

Bulgarian split squats 4*6@ 20kg ea
    Rows 4*10@20kg last one 8@20kg

Back supported single leg glute bridge with chain 3*12ea
    Curl to dumbbell press 3*6 10kg ea last set right arm only did 4
    Trx rows 3*10
    Renegade rows 10kg ea 3*10

I've just finished reading Speed Trap. It's the story of Ben Johnson as told by his coach Charlie Francis. The drug use is incredible but there are some brilliant training tips in the book and also in his other book detailing the Charlie Francis training system. He was a super sprinter himself ranked no 5 in the world and aside from Johnson, he trained a heap of other athletes to Olympic medals, world records and Canadian records with very little assistance from the Canadian governing bodies. He was revolutionary in his approach to the type of training sessions his athletes did and their recovery from those sessions. I think you have to appreciate that the steroids allowed his athletes to recover better and train harder but even still there are some useful things to take from the books. I'm only a quarter of the way through the training system notes but these are some of the main points that I want to note for myself

-> You need to vary the stress on the body by increasing the work demand, cut it or shift it to a different component in order to keep expanding an athlete's capacity. This fits into the theory of periodisation with two peaks. One for the indoor season ans one for the outdoor season. Within each block there are three phases: a preparatory phase, a main work phase and a competition phase

-> The High Low System and the differentiation between muscular fatigue and central nervous system fatigue. I'm taking CNS to mean the mental strain of the exercise as well as the fatigue to the nerve fibres from repeated stimulus and the depletion of neuromuscular transmitters/chemicals.
    On a given day there is only so much CNS energy to expend. Whether you access the CNS energy pool via the arms, or the legs or both, it doesn't matter, when it's drained, it's drained.
    During physical work the CNS fatigues first and causes the body to shut
    down before the peripheral musculature is totally exhausted.
    The muscles are affected by both high and low intensity training but they bounce back quickly, within 24 hour. The CNS by contrast is affected primarily by high intensity work which for sprinters is max or near max speed sprinting or heavy weightlifting, but it takes longer to recover. 48 - 72 hours. I think this is how I've gotten into a state of over training before because I assume you can make apply the same principles to endurance training.

-> By dividing sprint training into high intensity and low intensity elements while eliminating medium intensity elements you can maximize the adaptation of speed and power
    HIGH INTENSITY: 95 - 100% OF BEST TIME
    High CNS demand
    Enhances muscle fibre recruitment
    Requires complete recovery between reps
    Requires minimum of 48hrs between sessions
    Non circulatory

MEDIUM INTENSITY: 76 - 94% OF BEST TIME
    Too slow to be specific to training objective
    Too high to recover adequately within 24 hrs
    CNS recovery limited by lack of circulatory response

LOW INTENSITY: 75% OF BEST TIME OR SLOWER
    Circulatory response = active recovery
    Speed enhancement through the effect of increasing capillary density which improves transfer of signals between muscles and motor neurons
    Enhances ability to maintain warm up for prolonged durations during speed training
    Increased capillary density slows blood flow through muscles allowing more time for nutrient transfer and waste removal
    Enhances CNS recovery through improved parasympathetic response

-> By alternating high intensity days with low intensity days you improve alactic abilities, enhance recovery and reduce the risk of injury. Note that on low intensity days the work can still be characterized as difficult e.g tempo runs with athletes breathing hard and feeling a burn in their muscles especially in the early stages of the training program. Athletes may creep into the 'medium' zone during these early stages of the training program so it's important not to increase the training volumes too rapidly to give athletes a chance to adapt to the work and assimilate the training within their low intensity zone

-> Maximum velocity is the primary factor in sprinting and speed endurance must be built in at the desired race pace. This means that sprinters should begin their training at top speed and shorter distances which then increase as the training progresses and the body adapts.

-> Sprinting is controlled from the arms. The arm action very slightly precedes leg action and therefore the arms control the stride. In the blocks you need to move the lead hand from the set position to the optimal extended position in front of the head as quickly as possible

-> Inhale when you hear the set command then exhale as you push off from the blocks

-> It doesn't matter how much technique and speed work you do if you're fatigue you'll never run to your full potential

-> Every sprint can be divided into segments, start body and finish and should be trained accordingly

->one of the basic problem areas in starting technique is that during the start the lead knee will come forward before the driving leg is fully extended. This happens because the athlete is simply not strong enough to extend the rear leg fully under load or as fast as the front knee comes forward.

-> "Wait for it!" Something that you would not normally think of, and that I remember to this day. When you try to
    accelerate in a race or when you try to make a move -particularly late in a race when you start pumping
    your arms - there is a lag time between when you increase your effort and when you actually begin to take
    off. During this period the acceleration seems to take forever because everything has slowed down. The 100
    metres seems to take a long time to run - to the point where two-tenths of a second seems like a significant
    period of time. The result being that you just have to "wait for it". You must not keep turning up the effort
    or you will lighten up. You must give it a chance to happen - let it occur almost by itself

->Pure speed development runs refer to efforts of under seven seconds duration — what is called alactic energy system work. All athletes can achieve their top speed within seven seconds and lactic acid build up
    can be avoided. Speed work must only be done when the athlete is completely fresh and complete recovery between runs is required.

Monday Mar 19th

Run:

ahr:115 max:163

Wu 800m jog + stretches + skips
    3 x 30m leaning start, 4 min R
    8 min R
    2 x 60m one leaning start one 3 point start, 4 min R
    25 min rec walk
    150m in 24.3
    30 min rec walk

3 weeks ago I did 2*(2*150m) 5min/10min R @ 25.91, 26.23, 25.71, 25.6. as a prep for Nationals after a 20 min warm up. The 150m I did today was a lot faster. I'm pretty sure conditions were fairly similar and I did it in the same spot. They're two different sessions but even still I'm thinking it shows improvement. I'd love to go under 30.5 in Madrid :)

Excellent! That’s a perfectly timed confidence boost for Thursday. I’ve noticed that athletes do seem to get more out of themselves at the Europeans, so I’ve no doubt you will indeed break 30.5. (Just focus on form in the last few meters and never mind that dipping business 🀣)

• Advertisement

All the best at the Euros Kate, looking forward to see how you go. Enjoy the experience.

Best of luck Kate and R too!! Have a blast :)

Excellent! That’s a perfectly timed confidence boost for Thursday. I’ve noticed that athletes do seem to get more out of themselves at the Europeans, so I’ve no doubt you will indeed break 30.5. (Just focus on form in the last few meters and never mind that dipping business ��)
    :D
    All the best at the Euros Kate, looking forward to see how you go. Enjoy the experience.
    Best of luck Kate and R too!! Have a blast :)

Thanks guys. So excited. I'll get no work done today :D

Excellent! That’s a perfectly timed confidence boost for Thursday. I’ve noticed that athletes do seem to get more out of themselves at the Europeans, so I’ve no doubt you will indeed break 30.5. (Just focus on form in the last few meters and never mind that dipping business 🀣)

Going to chip in here. Anybody who chooses not to dip at the finish line deserves no sympathy for missing out on a goal by 0.01 of a second. It costs you nothing to lean at the tape. I’ve seen so many world class runners lose medals because of not dipping. It’s unforgivable from athletes of such calibre.

Going to chip in here. Anybody who chooses not to dip at the finish line deserves no sympathy for missing out on a goal by 0.01 of a second. It costs you nothing to lean at the tape. I’ve seen so many world class runners lose medals because of not dipping. It’s unforgivable from athletes if such calibre.

I've raced against so many sprinters and seen them strain and stretch and reach in the last 10 meters, thinking about dipping, getting ready to dip and finally dipping. To be quite honest, I think I've passed all of them.

There's a place for dipping where an athlete understands and is experienced enough to know how to run a 60 or 200 with perfect form, from the first meter to the last.

World class athletes should dip, yes. I'm still getting there ;) Can't speak for you Career Move, but I know what I'll be trying to do at 190M on Thursday and that's run fast!

I've raced against so many sprinters and seen them strain and stretch and reach in the last 10 meters, thinking about dipping, getting ready to dip and finally dipping. To be quite honest, I think I've passed all of them.

There's a place for dipping where an athlete understands and is experienced enough to know how to run a 60 or 200 with perfect form, from the first meter to the last.

World class athletes should dip, yes. I'm still getting there ;) Can't speak for you Career Move, but I know what I'll be trying to do at 190M on Thursday and that's run fast!

Oh for sure. Dipping with 10 metres to go is madness. But definitely dip on the last stride.

• Advertisement

Oh for sure. Dipping with 10 metres to go is madness. But definitely dip on the last stride.

My point is that too many people are distracted about dipping from about 190 meters and, as a result, lose their form at that point.

My point is that too many people are distracted about dipping from about 190 meters and, as a result, lose their form at that point.

Yeh it's a fair point. They shouldn't be distracted about it though. You literally lean forward on the last stride.

Happens to the best though. Gatlin started leaning too early when he saw Bolt alongside him in 2015 World 100m final, and he lost his balance and momentum.

Don't dip early, but do dip. It's an easy 0.01 of a second to gain.

Worst pet peeve of mine though is easing up when seeing the finish line. People do it in training all the time. 10 pushups every time somebody does that in training would sort that out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Best of luck K, give it socks :)

Well done Kate, not time you wanted but to run a seasons best in the European Championships isn’t bad going.

Well done Kate, not time you wanted but to run a seasons best in the European Championships isn’t bad going.
    Thanks Barry. I was happy with my run. It was 0.01slower than my time in Athlone two weeks ago but the race went well. I was in a fast heat. The other 4 all qualified for the semi's. I didn't make any mistakes. I got out of the blocks ok. That still needs a lot of work. I pushed hard from the start and I was able to maintain my speed in until the bottom bend when I started to come under pressure. The Irish supporters are brilliant though and they give you a real boost. I was really focused on keeping good form all the way and I think I did ok in that regard.
    I'm running in the relay later today. Should be good fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I need to visit this log more than once every two months. You're awesome. But we already knew that.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I need to visit this log more than once every two months. You're awesome. But we already knew that.

Stop you're making me blush :o:D

Are we getting an 'event' report??!! Am dying to hear all!

4 x 200m relay - 1:56:71

There was supposed to be 6 teams and we were drawn in Lane 6 but when we got down to the call room another team had appeared on the start list and we were now in Lane 3 in the second heat against the 3 best countries Britain, Germany and Spain. It's a bit annoying cause I think we might have run faster in the other heat but it is what it is.
    I was running the 2nd leg. I was happy with the changeover routine because Avril, who was supposed to be running but got injured had given us some coaching before we went down for our warm up. She was replaced by Maria an 800m runner who was down for the 3rd leg.
    There was a good buzz in the call room. It's really fun doing the relay and having your team with you. The O35 men were down there too. They were hoping for a medal so they were really focused looking :D (They got bronze after the French were disqualified)
    Sweden won the first heat easily and then we were up. Annette was our starter. She got out of the blocks well and ran a good leg. The changeover was smooth. I didn't lose any ground around the top bend but when I turned into the back straight and saw the green cones marking the cutting in point, I got a tiny bit disorientated and I may have stepped outside my lane. I can't remember clearly but I definitely know I made some kind of a funny side step before I copped on and cut in.
    The others went away from me around the bottom bend and Maria was waiting on her own at the changeover. We did a good pass and Maria and Sinead our last runner did a good change too.
    I think apart from the cone thing, I ran well and the guys watching said I went sub 30 for my split. I know in the relay it's not exactly 200m but I was trying to work it out after. Annette ran 28.8 in the 200 on Thurs, Maria I don't know how fast she'd run 200 but her PB for 800 is 2:27 and Sinead ran 28.6 in the semi's of the 200 on Friday so I think it's reasonable for me to call myself a 29sec 200m sprinter :D:D

Are we getting an 'event' report??!! Am dying to hear all!

:D Will that ^^^^ do?

No it will not!!!!! :D

But well done again!!! It sounds like the whole experience was amazing.

4 x 200m relay - 1:56:71

There was supposed to be 6 teams and we were drawn in Lane 6 but when we got down to the call room another team had appeared on the start list and we were now in Lane 3 in the second heat against the 3 best countries Britain, Germany and Spain. It's a bit annoying cause I think we might have run faster in the other heat but it is what it is.
    I was running the 2nd leg. I was happy with the changeover routine because Avril, who was supposed to be running but got injured had given us some coaching before we went down for our warm up. She was replaced by Maria an 800m runner who was down for the 3rd leg.
    There was a good buzz in the call room. It's really fun doing the relay and having your team with you. The O35 men were down there too. They were hoping for a medal so they were really focused looking :D (They got bronze after the French were disqualified)
    Sweden won the first heat easily and then we were up. Annette was our starter. She got out of the blocks well and ran a good leg. The changeover was smooth. I didn't lose any ground around the top bend but when I turned into the back straight and saw the green cones marking the cutting in point, I got a tiny bit disorientated and I may have stepped outside my lane. I can't remember clearly but I definitely know I made some kind of a funny side step before I copped on and cut in.
    The others went away from me around the bottom bend and Maria was waiting on her own at the changeover. We did a good pass and Maria and Sinead our last runner did a good change too.
    I think apart from the cone thing, I ran well and the guys watching said I went sub 30 for my split. I know in the relay it's not exactly 200m but I was trying to work it out after. Annette ran 28.8 in the 200 on Thurs, Maria I don't know how fast she'd run 200 but her PB for 800 is 2:27 and Sinead ran 28.6 in the semi's of the 200 on Friday so I think it's reasonable for me to call myself a 29sec 200m sprinter :D:D

I once tried to claim a sub 60 400m on a relay split. I convinced myself that this was ok. I got absolutely rinsed by thirtyfoot (I didn't know at the time he is one of the top sprint coaches in the country). You can see it here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056304229&page=3 It's rather entertaining looking back on it.

Bottom line: Take the confidence from what was a good leg and a great experience and channel that belief into future races, and the sub 30 will come. Do not claim this as you had a running start, the split is hand timed, and you may not even have run the full 200m depending on where you received and passed the baton. You owe yourself a proper sub 30. You'd be doing your training a disservice by claiming this IMO. Relays are about the team anyway. The split isn't important.

That relay sounded like a great experience. You were in good hands with your stand in coach there too.

@ Chivito thanks for posting the link. I guess I'm back to being a 30 sec 200m sprinter :D

Ya Avril is fantastic. You're so lucky

@ Chivito thanks for posting the link. I guess I'm back to being a 30 sec 200m sprinter :D

Ya Avril is fantastic. You're so lucky

The 29 will come in good time.

Mar 26th - Apr 1st

Monday:

Rest. Legs felt fine

Tuesday:

Gym:
    Warm up
    Pistol squats 5 x 6ea
    Side plank leg raises 3 x 10ea

Drop squats
    Single leg drop squats
    Fast feet

Marching/skipping x 4
    Prowler march down/sprint back x 2
    Bounds 3*4
    Kettlebell squats 8kg 3*5
    Trx squats 3*6

Sprints x 3 ~15m car park, 1:30 rec

Deadlifts w/u 5@70kg + 5@90kg + 1@110kg then 4*3@120kg. The 120 was heavy. Just about kept my form
    Lying dumbbell press w/u 5@10kg ea then 4*5 @ 17.5kg ea

Romanian deadlifts 8 @ 50kg Nigel was making faces about my form. Next set 8@40 Nigel still making faces and the next set was cut short because it was just too ugly. I think I was tired or else Nigel was just being hypercritical.
    Chest support rows 3 x 10 @ 16kg ea

Front squats warm up 5@20kg + 5@30kg + 5@35kg then 3x 5@40kg. Last set was good. Others a bit meh
    Press up 4 x 6, 2 sec pause
    Birddog rows 4 x 8 @ 19.5kgea
    Arm extension 4 x 8 ea @ level 3

Track: tempo
    ahr:141 max:177
    Plan: 8 x 200 @ 45 sec/ 45sec R
    Actual 8 x 200 in 41, 44, 44, 45, 44, 42, 41, 42 1 min R and 2 min after rep 5
    This was my first club session since before Christmas. I was happy enough to do this session cause I came straight after the gym and I was tired. I felt good. Some of the times are a bit fast because there was about 10 of us doing them and I was the only one with a watch. I was trying to get the 100m split in 22/23 sec. Mostly we did but the track was really busy cause the kids were training as well so we had to run around them at times.

Wednesday:

Yoga: 30 min
    I was going to go to karate but I went for a little nap and it turned into a big nap and when I woke up it was late :o I did some yoga because my back was stiff from the deadlifts on Tuesday.

Thursday:

Gym
    Warm up
    Pistol squats 4 x 8

Drop squats
    Single leg drop squats
    Fast feet

Bounds 3 x 4
    Side plank leg raises 3 x 10
    Marching/skipping w med ball
    2/1 skips x 9ea
    Harness march x 2

Front squats warm up 5@20kg + 5@30kg then 3*6@40kg + 6@42.5

Bulgarian split squats 3*6@ 20kg ea
    Rows 3*8 @20kg

Back supported single leg glute bridge with chain 3*12ea
    Curl to dumbbell press 3*6 10kg
    Trx rows 3*12
    Renegade rows 10kgea 3*10

Back was still a little sore and this was a morning session so I probably wasn't fully recovered from Tuesday.

Friday:
    Rest. Every muscle in my body was sore. Felt better after an afternoon nap though

Saturday:

Track:
    ahr:120 max:172

Warm up
    4 x 20m leaning start, 2 min R
    5 min
    2 x 20m standing start, 2 min R
    5 min
    2 x 20m flying start, 2 min R
    5 min
    2 x 30m flying start, 3 min R
    5 min
    1 x 40m flying start, 4 min R
    Cool down

The others were doing 100's off short recoveries. I didn't want to do that so coach told me to work away on my own. I had guessed I might not want to do what the others were doing because I want to work on my acceleration so I had a session in my head to do that I found here: http://greyhoundstrack.com/year-round-sprinting/part-2---sprint-workouts.html
    I gave my left quad a little drag when I was warming up when I was doing strides but I used the foam roller in it and spent 20 minutes doing dynamic stretches and it was perfect when I was sprinting and it seems fine now. *Crosses fingers*

Sunday:
    Rest

• Advertisement
Advertisement