Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Mar 30th - Apr 5th

Monday:

Run (a. m) 23:06 4.04 km (5:43 / km)

Run (p. m) 22:59 3.72 km (6:11 / km)

Core 5:00

I was really tired and ordinarily I would have taken a rest day but it's as easy to run to and from the station as walk

Tuesday:

Core 10:00

Run 48:50 5.0 mi (9:46 / mi)

Still tired but I needed to get out for some fresh air so I did a loop around the bog.

Wednesday:

Run 1:06:00 11.32 km (5:50 / km)

I felt a bit better today but my legs were still heavy.

Thursday :

Run (a.m) 19:46 3.57 km (5:32 / km)

Run (p.m) 18:38 3.57 km (5:13 / km)

Must have been feeling pretty normal today. Paces look good

Friday:

Run 51:29 5.5 mi (9:22 / mi)

Wasn't feeling super energetic but I forced myself out the door for some fresh air. It was a lovely evening. I met 2 cars, a van, a feed truck, 4 dogs (behind fences) including an alsatian and a labrador, one man passed me on a bike, 2 people walking that looked like a mother and daughter. I also met a farmer doing some fencing. We were all on opposite sides of the road. I got a cheery 'howya now' from him. I replied 'Lovely evening isn't it' and he said 'By God it is' For those of you from the city this is typical of a rural conversation. Another example would be if I was passing someone they might say 'Well' (in the country this has a multitude of meanings including hello) and I might say 'Morning' and they'd reply 'Fine thanks'. There was also a lady standing in her milking parlour. She looked like she was finishing off. I got a cheery hello from her too. I think her name is Siobhan because she called round to the house a while ago looking for her runaway dogs

Saturday:

Run 34:10 5.8 km (5:53 / km)

Tired again today. I kind of a bit concerned about how tired I am considering how much I'm sleeping. And it's a lot. I mean I'd be putting it up to my cat and he's a solid 18 hr a day man.

Sunday:

rhr:51

10 pistol squats
    10 front squats
    10 Bulgarian split squat
    3 x 10 single leg lifts + stretch hip flexor
    100 bicycle kicks
    10 double leg lifts

I was really stiff today and I've had this dull ache in my left hip/quad all day which is weird because it's usually my right hop that's a bit niggly. My resting heart rate is also high. Should be low 40.

I'm going to see how long I can last without going to the supermarket. I haven't been since last Saturday although my Dad did drop me in some stuff during the week.

I feel like I have no purpose at the moment so I've decided to start the Graduate Plans to give my training some structure. I'll start with the base phase then do the 5k/10k plan and take it from there. So next week looks like this:
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    20 min recovery or OFF|45 min very easy| 60 min progression (Easy to MP)| 45 min very easy| 45 min very easy or OFF |40 min easy + 10x100m strides (AP with full recovery)| 90 min easy

activity| #|time| miles| km
    Run |6| 4:44:58 |30.4|48.92
    Core|5|40:00||
    Total |7|5:24:58 | 30.4 | 48.92

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Why start the Base phase Kate? Your current level of fitness is above that, no?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Why start the Base phase Kate? Your current level of fitness is above that, no?

It's a good question. I'm going to do the base phase because I have been doing very few sessions. The base phase in the plan is 6 weeks and it's a nice introduction back to doing two sessions a week wed/sat and a long run. The first week of the 5k/10k plan has 8 x 1min hills, a 25 min tempo and a long run I don't feel like my body would be able to cope with that. I'll actually make the base phase into 7 weeks because the third week is the 5k TT

Monday:

Core 5:00 [
    Run 20:00 3.41 km (5:52 / km)
    rhr:44

My legs were ridiculously sore from the squats I did on Sunday but in a good way. My resting heart rate is still a bit high but better than yesterday. I ran around the bog when I got up. Didn't meet anyone :)

Tuesday:

Core (PE with Joe ) 30:00
    Run 45:07 5.0 mi (9:01 / mi)
    rhr:44

I've been meaning to do the PE with Joe for ages. I've sent the link to loads of people but today was the first morning I've had the energy to do high intensity stuff. My legs were still sore but I thought maybe the workout would do them good. I'm two weeks behind but it doesn't matter. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would but it did make me may me feel very unfit. Or at least I was quite breathless. My breathing was crap running too. Started off barely able to put one leg in front of the other and dreading the progression run scheduled for tomorrow but I eased out after a while and I feel much better now. It's a beautiful day here. I was itching to get out all day and I ended up bargaining with myself. Do this much work and you can go for a run :D

Wednesday:

Run 50:00 6.06 mi (8:15 / mi) +85m

More PE with Joe. I actually really like it. You don't have to think and you get a great workout. My legs weren't as sore today but my arms have joined in on the action. Shoulder muscles are ouchy.

The run was the planned progression run except I bailed after 50 minutes instead of 60. I didn't pick the best route - there were lots of little drags in the second half but really I just paced it badly. My breathing was better than yesterday. I meant to use the inhaler before I did this run but I forgot. I met the same farmer doing his fencing. We had a similar conversation. Also a mother and daughter walking their dogs and another couple of random women walking. I never see any men walking! Yesterday when I was running the postman passed me three times in his van. I've been trying to figure out where in earth he was going or if he just forgot to give someone their post, saw it on the seat next to him and then decided he better deliver it after all :confused: Today he only passed me once.

Mile splits: 9:05, 8:42, 8:23, 8:01, 7:52, 7:35 (7:08)

Km splits: 5:46, 5:26, 5:26, 5:07, 5:14, 5:04, 4:52, 4:52, 4:42 (4:46)

Thursday:

Run 45:04 7.48 km (6:01 / km)
    rhr:47

P.E with Joe Day 3 - squeezed it in before a teleconference. I had 2 minutes to make myself look presentable. It was an epic fail. The first thing my boss said to me 'Have you just been out running'.

I did go out running but it was at lunchtime. I was a bit wheezy but I kept the pace slow. Didn't see any walkers today. There were lots of people in their gardens and the post man passed me. I also saw 4 buzzards, 3 butterflies, 2 donkeys and a dog. This morning there was a gold crested wren in the kitchen. Luckily, I managed to catch it before the cat did. It was quite indignant at being caught and it flew off quickly when I left it off out the window.
    My legs were much better today. Just a little bit of soreness in my glutes and shoulders. I didn't sleep that well last night. I woke up after midnight thinking I was going to self-combust. I was so hot and deydrated. Checked the weather and it said it should be between 4 and 8C which isn't that warm. Checked my pulse and it was a little higher than yesterday. I suddenly got a notion that I was developing a fever so I jumped out of bed and ran down to the kitchen to get some water and check my temperature. It was normal and I eventually drifted back to sleep again. Resting heart rate was a bit high again this morning.

Friday:

rhr:46

Run 45:00 7.78 km (5:47 / km)

Day 4 of PE with Joe. Legs are feeling good today. No soreness anywhere. I had a solid 10 hours sleep last night so I'm surprised that my resting heart rate is staying quite high.

I spent the day cleaning my kitchen and the hall. Had to move a bit of furniture around so I could put my bike trainer in a better spot because I'm going to switch out one or two of the runs for a bike session next week.

It was early evening when I headed out for my run. My breathing was better today but I found it very humid. I met 2 guys on bikes near my house. Middle aged, all the jazz with matching cycling tops. I was looking at them when they were coming towards me thinking there's no way you guys are 2km from home because I live in the middle of nowhere. This is really annoying me because we're in the middle of a national emergency and it's not like people are being asked to go and fight a war. Just to stay at home and exercise within 2km of your house. It's actually their attitude that annoys me too. As if their sneaky bike ride is more important than people's lives.
    Anyway apart from that I saw the 2 donkeys that live down the lane, a different farmer out doing some fencing, a girl out walking and my 7 horses up on their little hill, happy out, enjoying the good weather and the new grass.

Saturday

Run (40min E + 10x100m sprints) 58:58 9.32 mi (6:20 / mi)

Day 5 of PE with Joe. Legs are feeling good. I had the windows open and when I finished the session and was closing them again there was a pheasant outside. It was a male. The males are much prettier than the females.

The run was very peaceful but not exactly quiet because of the constant chatter from the birds in the trees, cattle mooing and the donkeys braying. I stayed mostly on the trail paths through the bog. I only met one car on the road and one man in the bog whose been there most days this week. He seems to be cleaning out the vegetation from his patch of bog and the surrounding drains. Yesterday was very warm and he looked like he should have had some sun cream on! I also saw 7 butterflies and some massive bees which were also trying to come into my house this morning. I did the sprints near my house. Full effort with walk back recoveries. Initially had my doubts if I'd be able for the 10 of them but it was actually fine. Legs were getting a bit tired after 8 but it was easy enough to push through the final two.

Sunday:

Run 1:36:00 17.0 km (5:39 / km) +224m 5:18 / km

Long run day today. I meant to use the inhaler before I started but I only thought of it when I was a mile out the road. I decided to run to the bottom of the school hill and then double back and pop into the house for the inhaler. To be honest I could have got by without it but I get so frustrated when I'm so wheezy at easy paces. On the plus side my legs feel really strong. It was a complete contrast to yesterday in conditions. Wet, windy and cold at times. I didn't meet anybody and even the animals were in hiding. There was a good few cars on the road however.

activity| # | time |miles |km
    Run |7 | 6:00:09 | 42.54 | 68.47
    Core |7 | 2:40:00 |
    Total |7 |8:40:09 | 42.54| 68.47

Plan for next week:

Monday| Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday|Friday|Saturday| Sunday
    20 min recovery or OFF| 45 min very easy| 45 min moderate| 45 min very easy |45 min easy or OFF |45 min easy (last 5 min @ Threshold)| 90 min easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Massive bees around our house too. Wonder if it’s a thing? Good to see the pollination!

Monday:

Core (PE with Joe) 30:00
    rhr:42

Run 20:28 2.0 mi (10:14 / mi)

Resting heart rate is almost back to normal. PE with Joe was tough this morning. Lots of lunges. I really felt it in my quads.

The run was a short trot around the bog in the beautiful sunshine. I saw a swallow yesterday and 2 today. They must have just arrived on their travels from southern Africa. They usually build their nests in the roof of the stables and the outhouses.

I have to go to the shop tomorrow. Haven't been there since March 30th but supplies are getting very short. I found a bag of brown sugar in the cupboard on Saturday and it was like I'd won the lottery :D

• Advertisement

Tuesday:

Run 45:00 7.43 km (6:03 / km)

I ran when I got up this morning. It was a beautiful morning even though the frost had left a cold nip in the air. I kept the pace slow because my legs were sore from the PE yesterday. Especially my glutes! They felt better after a couple of miles thankfully. Tomorrow I'm going to do some 5k intervals instead of a moderate run as my prep for the TT sat week :D

PE with Joe was on a break from work. I love the energy it gives me. Enough to brave the supermarket at lunch time for a big shop. Fully stocked up now for at least another 2-3 weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

As someone who's living through lockdown in a city centre apartment, surrounded by grey concrete and very much missing the Phoenix Park to run in, it is really lovely reading your descriptions of all the nature around you on your runs! Thanks :)

eyrie wrote: »
    As someone who's living through lockdown in a city centre apartment, surrounded by grey concrete and very much missing the Phoenix Park to run in, it is really lovely reading your descriptions of all the nature around you on your runs! Thanks :)

Thank you for such a nice message :D I'm lucky. I love where I live and having a job in the middle of Dublin city, I really appreciate the countryside!

Wednesday:

Run intervals 49:00 8.77 km (5:35 / km)

Time|1min| 2 min| 3 min| 3 min| 2 min| 1min
    Pace/km|4:02| 4:13| 4:12| 4:03| 3:59| 3:45

I was tired this morning. I probably would have switched back to the 'moderate' run if I hadn't posted I was doing intervals here yesterday. Forgot my inhaler as usual :rolleyes: I was just going to carry on without it except I didn't want to have any excuses so I turned around and went back for it.
    There was a bit of a frost last night and even at 8:30 a.m there was still a little nip in the air.
    Last night I decided my target pace should be between 4:16 - 4:25. No faster than 4:16 and I had to jog all the recoveries which were the same time as each rep. No walking allowed because if I have to walk it means the reps are too fast.
    I did the reps on the road where I'm going to do the 5k TT. This is the road I have always used for speed sessions. 5k is going to be out and back and there's a very slight drag in one direction which is the way I'll go first. The first rep I had to slow in the middle because the watch was showing 3:xx. I recovered quickly and I decided I might be able to go I bit faster than planned. All the other reps were pretty manageable. I was pacing them well because I was speeding up towards the end of the rep rather than hanging on grimly. The last two were at a much higher effort (unsustainable for 5k at the moment).
    I'm really delighted with how this went. Main things I'm happy about are the effort and how quickly I recovered after each rep. This is one of my favorite sessions. I remember the week before I ran my 5k pb I did this session up to 5min all under 4min/km. Those were the days :D
    Not much to report on the nature front. Passed the donkeys twice - they don't even look up now. And 2 dogs. One a lab that stays in it's garden and the other a little white Jack Russell that the owner swears is the sweetest thing ever but who always makes as if he's going to snap at my ankles. My foot 'accidentally' connected with him a couple of years ago so nowadays he usually only feigns an attack. The other thing of note was the peregrine falcons who live in the old castle next to the house. They were particularly noisy this morning. I actually haven't heard them for a few days and I was beginning to think it was a bit strange. Usually a couple of people from Birdwatch Ireland come every year to abseil up the outside walls and put rings on the chicks so I wonder will they come this year.

More PE with Joe at lunchtime. Glutes are a good bit better today but still delicate if I sit down too quickly on a hard chair!

Thursday:

Run 46:00 7.39 km (6:13 / km)

Had to check what day it was. Someone sent me this msg 'Until further notice the days of the week are now called, thisday, thatday, otherday, someday, yesterday, today and nextday' and it's so true. It's even more confusing with the bank holiday this week.
    It was noticeably colder this morning when I was out for my run. My legs were tired today and I was very happy that the prescribed pace was 'very easy'. The birds were full of chatter in the trees but although I could hear them for the entire run, it's really hard to see them. At least the ones that are making all the noise anyway. I pity anyone who doesn't have animals in their life or doesn't appreciate them for the wonders that they are. I find they're always doing something fabulous. Like this morning, I was standing in the driveway waiting for my watch to pick up a signal and my cat comes ambling over. So I picked him up and I was giving him a cuddle (he loves a cuddle but really it was just to keep myself warm) and all of a sudden he dived out of my arms and took off like a bolt of lightening in the direction of the greenhouse. Two seconds later and a little bird emerges out of the greenhouse with the cat in hot pursuit. The cat loves chasing birds. He eats them too when he catches them. I've seen him. He just swallows them whole.
    Then when I was out for my run I passed some dairy cows on their way back to their field after milking. Dairy cows are fascinating the way they line up morning and evening, waiting to be brought in for milking. And then when it's done, they just amble back by themselves to the field. Happy out.
    I also,very sadly, passed a dead pine marten (Martes martes). Looked like it had been hit by a car. It's very rare that you spot one of these dead or alive. They used to be very common but by the 20th century they were almost extinct in Ireland because they were hunted for their fur, poisoned and/or their forests cut down. Their a protected species nowadays and only found in the west and the midlands. Their Russian cousin is Martes zibellina and in Russia they're bred in farms for their fur. They keep them in cages, suspended off the ground to keep their fur clean. That's today's nature lesson :D

I did PE with Joe at lunchtime. I look forward to this nearly as much as my runs :D

Loads of pine martins out around Ballivor, Killucan area when I used to cycle out that way. Be unusual not to see one when I was out.

Loads of pine martins out around Ballivor, Killucan area when I used to cycle out that way. Be unusual not to see one when I was out.

Really. I've never seen one. Maybe they're more prevalent in Westmeath than Laois though

Really. I've never seen one. Maybe they're more prevalent in Westmeath than Laois though

Yip, I was told for ages they had to be mink, but had it confirmed to me one day while talking to one of the local historians who confirmed they were pine martins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Someone sent me this msg 'Until further notice the days of the week are now called, thisday, thatday, otherday, someday, yesterday, today and nextday' and it's so true. It's even more confusing with the bank holiday this week.
    Ha, true indeed!

We spotted a pine martin on a little country road in Wexford last year - I wouldn't have had a clue what it was to be honest but my OH got very excited to see it.

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Ha, true indeed!

We spotted a pine martin on a little country road in Wexford last year - I wouldn't have had a clue what it was to be honest but my OH got very excited to see it.

That's cool. Love all the pine marten spottings :D

Friday:

Run 45:26 5.0 mi (9:05 / mi)

Great run this morning. Legs feel good and it was a beautiful morning. There was a couple of people out walking, one of whom had a nice dog. Looked like some kind of a whippet with a dark silver/grey coat. I passed them twice because I did a little loop around the bog to add some distance.
    Day 10 of PE with Joe. It was fancy dress day but more importantly the rep length increased from 30sec to 35 sec, which meant recovery decreased from 30 sec to 25 sec. Doesn't sound much and I don't know if it was that or the exercises we were doing but I was sweating buckets at the finish

Saturday:

Run: 40:00 6.89 km (5:48 / km)
    Last five minutes at threshold (4:46/km)

Bike turbo: 45:49 GCN v02 max intervals
    av hr:143 max:168

Legs were tired this morning on the run. The pace for the easy miles was slow, almost recovery pace. There's a house at the top of the road where I do the speed work and they have a goat family. There was about 5 or 6 beautiful kid goats tearing around in there this morning. In the middle of the threshold bit there was dairy cows heading back out across the road to the field. I thought I was going to have to stop or turn back but managed to time it perfectly so that the last cow had crossed and the farmer had the wire down for me to keep going.

The bike session is my absolute favourite. It's a real beast. You do 5 min warm up then 6 x 2 min v02 max work with 3 min recoveries. The 2 min is divided into 2 x (30 sec seated sprint, cadence @ 80; 30 sec standing sprint cadence @ 60) Then at the end comes the real sting where you do 5 min of tempo work in the same gear as the sprints with a cadence of 100. It's super tough, physically and mentally, and you can really feel it in your legs at the end. I was really happy with my breathing and it will be interesting to see if that work helps me in the 5k next Sat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Quad busting PE with Joe everyday
    Quad busting V02 bike reps (proper torture, I can attest to)

You sure like to mix it up with this running!

Quad busting PE with Joe everyday
    Quad busting V02 bike reps (proper torture, I can attest to)

You sure like to mix it up with this running!

Paying for it today :D

Sunday:

Run 1:31:40 15.63 km (5:52 / km)

Headed out about midday with tired, heavy legs. I wasn't sure if I'd get the 90 minutes done but I chose the easiest possible route available with only one small incline. I met a few people out walking at various stages along the way and I even met another runner!! Also two cyclists. I think they might both be in my bike club. One of them definitely is. I was accompanied as usual by the constant chatter of birds. It really was a beautiful day to be out and about. I probably could have done with some suncream! When I got back I was helping my Dad catching lambs for dosing before they were weaned from their mothers (who seemed to be glad to see the back of them. There was no complaining anyway). I'm absolutely shattered now. I think I may have overreached a little this week so next week there is no plan. I'll probably keep the same routine as the last two weeks but with shorter easier runs, the 5k on Saturday and a much shorter long run. Maybe only 60 minutes.

activity| #| time |miles |km
    Run| 7| | 5:37:34 | 35.65 | 57.38
    Core |5 |2:30:00 |
    Bike turbo |1| 45:49|
    Total |7 |8:53:23 |35.65| 57.38

• Advertisement

Monday:

Run 22:00 3.34 km (6:35 / km)

PE with Joe in the morning and a slow lap of the bog in the evening. My legs weren't too bad.

Tuesday:

Run 35:19 6.12 km (5:46 / km)

Met a runner on my run. That's two runners I've seen in the last few days. Most unusual :D I ran through the bog and was very pleased to see that someone has collected up all the rubbish that was dumped in the ditch into 6 big massive bags for collection by Coillte.

Wednesday:

Run 35:07 6.45 km (5:27 / km)
    Last mile at T (7:36)

PE with Joe was tough this morning. Lots of high impact stuff. I was tired when I went out for my run but it kind of turned into a progression run and then I decided to do the last mile around threshold effort. A red squirrel ran across the path at one stage. It's funny but I think grey ones look like glorified rats whereas red ones are just super cute.

Thursday:

Run 20:31 2.0 mi (10:15 / mi)

PE with Joe was tough 40/20 for the second set meant my legs were burning afterwards. Slow jog round the bog in the evening to recover. I heard a cuckoo for the first time this spring. Apparently if you hear the sound coming from the left, it is believed to be ill fate but if you hear the cuckoo sound from the right it is believed that good luck is approaching your way. I was hanging out the washing and I'm pretty sure the sound was coming from the left. Oh well :(

Friday:

Run a.m 18:12 3.3 km (5:31 / km)

Run p.m 17:44 3.3 km (5:22 / km)

Had to go into work today so back to the double commute. I noticed there was a lot more people and cars milling about compared to the last time I was in Dublin three weeks ago. Legs felt heavy so I didn't do any core.

Saturday:

Run (5k TT) 21:51 5.0 km (4:22 / km) vdot: 44.9

Run warm up/down 25:00 3.75 km (6:40 / km)

I was going to get the TT done super early to avoid the heat but I was exhausted yesterday evening so I didn't bother to set my alarm clock. I actually woke at a reasonable time at about 8am anyway so it was grand. I was absolutely not feeling the love though. I started to think what possible excuse could I give so I didn't have to do this. But then I remembered a clip of an interview I heard Robin Van Persie give during the week. He was talking about his 11yo son who plays for the Feyenoord kids team. The kid didn't get selected for some match and on the way home in the car he was giving out about this person and that person and how unfair everything was. Robin Van Persie told he was talking like a loser blaming everyone else except himself. Winners look at themselves to see what they need to do to be better. A couple of days later, the next time the kid was training, RVP went to see him train and he said the kid was like a tiger. So I thought to myself don't be a loser Kate, just get it done.
    I didn't feel any better after the warm up but I was out now and it was getting done. I set my watch up for a 5k interval, procrastinated for what felt like several minutes, lined myself up and off I went. I started a bit fast but settled into a rhythm and the first 5 minutes was ok. Started to hate life then and 5k time trials in particular but was holding the pace ok around 4:10. Passed a couple of ladies out walking. They both smiled sympathetically at me. The pace was starting to slip. Not drastically just a second here or there. The road was long and I thought the turn around would never come. Decided in the end to turn early because my head was going. The pace dropped down to around 4:26 but my legs were empty and I was thinking of what excuse I could give for dropping out. Don't be a loser Kate. Decided to forget the watch and focus on the effort. Passed the two ladies again. Looked at my watch. SH!T there's still over 2k to go. I didn't think the pace was falling off too badly though and that gave me a bit of encouragement and then I was just counting down the distance. 4 more laps of the track, 3. FOOK there's still over half a km. Turn the corner. 3 more electricity poles and then you're done. 2 more. Just another bit. Watch starts beeping and I slow. Then almost as quickly I think keep going for the 5 beeps. And then I'm done and I lie down in a ditch to recover before shuffling home.
    Splits 4:09, 4:12, 4:24, 4:37, 4:25

That was tough. Breathing was ok (I took the inhaler before I started) but legs were knackered. Not as fit as I'd like to be but the last parkrun I did in November was 22:31 so some bit of improvement. I'm injury free though and that is the greatest thing of all because at least now I can build on this.

Sunday:

Run 1:36:30 10.25 mi (9:25 / mi)

Legs are a bit tired so I gave Joe a miss and kept the pace easy. It was another beautiful day for a run. I really enjoyed it. The birds were singing and the walkers and cyclists that I passed were all super friendly. I saw some bluebells in the bog and there's been some turf cut. Ugh footing turf *shudders*

activity| #| time |miles |km
    Run| 7|4:52:14 | 31.67|50.97
    Core |4|2:00:00|
    Total |7 |6:52:14 |31.67| 50.97

Back to the plan for next week:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    20 min recovery |60 min very easy|60 min progression (Easy to MP)| 60 min very easy| OFF|50 min mix (9 min easy/1 min hard)|1 hr 45 easy

Good performance yesterday Kate, your building all the time. Footing turf, god the nightmares........

Good performance yesterday Kate, your building all the time. Footing turf, god the nightmares........

Cheers Barry. I know I've said it before but I really appreciate you setting up the thread. There's no way I'd have done a 5k TT otherwise. Thank God my brother has someone doing his turf for him so I don't gave to do it. Nightmares is right!!!!

• Advertisement

Monday:

Run 21:40 3.33 km (6:30 / km)

Lap of the bog before breakfast and then back into the PE with Joe. Legs are feeling good.

Tuesday:

Run 1:05:00 11.1 km (5:51 / km)

Another run before breakfast on a beautiful morning. Realised after a mile that I had forgotten to start my watch. That's the benefit of knowing where the mile markers are though!

Wednesday:

Run (Progression ) 1:00:00 7.23 mi (8:18 / mi)

9:02, 8:51, 8:39, 8:21, 8:06, 7:43, 7:34, (7:07)

It was a bit wet early on this morning so I did the PE session first. I feel like I'm getting benefit from these sessions. I don't have any trouble with my quads/glutes/hamstrings and I feel like I'm getting stronger. The burpees were slightly easier this morning!

Very happy with my run. The rain had stopped and the sun was out. It was a much more controlled than the last time I did a progression run but I did feel like I was working even after a couple of miles. There was a bit of a headwing and I guess there would have been some residual fatigue from the core work.

Thursday:

Run 46:34 7.36 km (6:20 / km)

I was supposed to run for an hour but the PE was tough today and I was tired so I just did a loop on the road. There's a collie who lives in a house about a km down the road. He always jumps up on the wall when he sees me. So today I was on my way back and I saw him at the wall and I was having a full blown conversation with him when I noticed his owner up on the roof grinning. Morto :o

Friday:

Run 21:03 3.51 km (6:00 / km)

I had the option not to run today but it was a nice day and my legs were feeling good so I did a quick lap of the bog.

Saturday:

Run intervals (9min E, 1min hard) 50:00 8.81 km (5:41 / km)
    283m, 285m, 265m, 301m, 314m

I really enjoyed this run. I did the 1 min bits as hard as I could. I tried to control the effort so that I wasn't dying a death towards the end of the rep. When I was sprint training we used to do 300m reps in training @ 55 - 60 secs so I was really happy with what I did today. I don't know what happened with the third one. Might have been a bit of a headwind.

Sunday:

Run 1:45:12 18.5 km (5:41 / km)

Long run time. I used my favourite loop. It was very humid or something. I was really dehydrated for the last few miles. At the finish it was getting sore to swallow. Met a couple of people walking their dogs and three cyclists. I think I saw a sparrowhawk and there was a buzzard over the castle vying for airspace with the peregrine falcons

Weekly totals:

Run| 7| 6:09:29 | 39.92 | 64.25
    Core| 5| 2:30:00 |
    Total| 7| 8:39:29 | 39.92 | 64.25

Plan for next week:

Monday |Tuesday| Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday |Sunday
    20 min recovery or OFF| 60 min very easy| 55 min moderate| 60 min very easy |60 min very easy or OFF |50 min easy (last 5 min @ Threshold)| 1 hr 45 easy

Monday:

Run 22:00 3.35 km (6:34 / km)

I was tired! Hard session in the morning and then a nice easy trot around the bog in the afternoon.

Tuesday:

Run 1:04:45 11.0 km (5:53 / km)

I was feeling better today. I woke up early so I got my run done before breakfast. I ventured into the village which has been off limits. It looked the same as always.

Wednesday:

Run intervals 35:00 6.16 km (5:41 / km)

10 min warm up
    3 x 1min on/1min off (281m, 264m, 274m)
    5 min rec
    3 x 1min on/1min off (297m, 300m, 267m)

I was supposed to do a 55min moderate run but I had zero energy and I was just going to plod along for the same time but then I decided with the mile TT coming up that I should do some intervals. I started off planning to do a pyramid 1/2/3/3/2/1 min with equal recoveries but the first minute rep felt hard and when I was doing the 2min rep I knew I was at nothing so I decided to switch to 8 x 1 min reps. Unfortunately I was wrecked after 3 so I changed the plan again and took a 5min recovery before doing another 3 x 1min. My breathing was crap and my legs felt like jelly and I only managed a 5min cool down, I was so exhausted. Not quite an epic fail but very, very close.

Thursday:

Run 47:26 7.5 km (6:19 / km)

Today's PE with Joe was one of the toughest sessions so far. It was a coin toss. So the coin lands on heads we do an easier exercise. The coin lands on tails it's hard. There seemed to be a disproportionate amount of tails which meant it was a really hard workout :rolleyes:
    I did the run in the afternoon and I felt ok starting off but towards the end it became a struggle to just keep putting one foot in front of the other so there was no way I was pushing it out to 60min.

Friday:

Run 21:57 3.6 km (6:06 / km)

Saturday:

Run 50:00 8.97 km (5:34 / km)

45 min E
    5 min @ 4:07/km

My legs were tired. Stopped in at the house for a drink of water before the 5 minute section. I was surprised how good my breathing was during the 5 minute section but it was net downhill I suppose.
    Sunday:

I didn't feel like doing a long run. Or any run for that matter. My last day off running was Apr 5th and I figured a day off would do me good. I wasn't happy doing nothing so I decided to start next weeks core work a day early .

Weekly totals May 4th - 10th

activity |# | time| miles |km
    Run |6 | 4:01:08| 25.22| 40.58
    Core| 6 | 3:00:00 |
    Total |7| 7:01:08 | 25.22| 40.58

Monday:

Run 1:01:00 10.78 km (5:40 / km)

Longer run today because I didn't run yesterday and a different route as well. Legs felt good enough

Tuesday:

Run 45:00 7.45 km (6:02 / km)

Legs were tired. I know why. It's because the PE was spin the wheel or toss the coin or someone of those ones where we end up doing a heap of hard intervals.

Wednesday:

Run (4x400) 47:19 7.17 km (6:36 / km)

82, 83, 82, 86

I had it in my head to do 6 x 400 but as you can see from the split times I did the first 3 too fast. I didn't look at the pace while I was doing them which was a mistake. I was taking 90 sec recoveries but after 3 I needed a longer recovery. I was going to attempt another 3 but the 4th one was an out of body experience for the last 150m. I'm not even sure how I managed to keep my legs turning over but there was no point in trying to attempt anymore. I was surprised I even managed 86sec for it.
    No point trying to attempt any core work either.

Thursday:

Run 1:00:00 10.0 km (6:00 / km)

I did the run first because I was conscious that my legs would be tired after yesterday but they must have felt ok or I wouldn't have gone as far.

Friday:

Run 35:32 6.0 km (5:55 / km)

The run was in the bog. It's my favourite loop since coillte collected all the rubbish that had been dumped by the scumbags who think that's ok. Loads of turf sitting waiting to be footed. I noticed this week that I'm meeting less people out exercising but that there's much more traffic on the road.

Saturday:

Run hills 50:00 7.41 km (6:45 / km)

4 x 200m hills (51, 47, 46, 46) full recovery

I had it in my head to do hill repeats. My legs did not think this would be such a good idea. They were not feeling the love. Hills make you faster though so a compromise was reached whereby I decided to do 4 and see how I was feeling. I did them up the steepest part of the school hill from a telegraph pole to a cone. My form was good and I was pretty happy with my breathing. Called it a day after 4 though because my legs were knackered and I had a stitch.

Sunday:

Run 1:35:57 10.0 mi (9:36 / mi)

I felt like I needed to do a long run but I didn't really feel like doing anything. I stopped in after 6k to get a drink and Dad needed some help catching sheep so I got a midrun core workout. I felt ok when I started again and I got into a nice rhythm shuffling along. I was tired after 10 miles though and I walked the last bit.

Weekly totals May 11th - May 17th:
    activity | # |time| miles| km
    Run |7 | 6:34:48 | 40.33 | 64.9
    Core| 4| 2:00:00
    Total |7| 8:34:48| 40.33| 64.9

May 18th - May 24th

Monday:

Tuesday:

Run 1:00:00 10.81 km (5:33 / km)

Wednesday:

Run intervals 52:55 8.28 km
    20 min w/u with strides
    2 x 800 (3:01, 3:01)
    20 min c/d

I did the 800's on my mile route. After doing the 400's too fast last week and knowing I did them too fast, I'm struggling to come up with a reason why I did the 800's too fast this week :confused: I think I had decided that as I was only doing 2, I might as well just do them at max effort. And the reason I was only doing 2 was because my legs were knackered. I wanted them both the same time and I had to work super hard in the last 300m of the second rep to do that.

Thursday:

Run 40:30 7.0 km (5:47 / km)

Friday:

Run 1:01:50 10.61 km (5:50 / km)

Saturday:

Run 1:11:11 12.2 km (5:50 / km)

Sunday:

Run 1:12:00 8.0 mi (9:00 / mi)

Friday, Saturday and Sunday were all hilly runs. A little break from the PE to freshen up the legs.

activity | # | time| miles |km
    Run| 6 | 5:58:26 | 38.39 | 61.77
    Core| 4 | 2:00:00 |
    Total |7| 7:58:26 | 38.39| 61.77

May 25th - Jun 2nd

Monday:

Tuesday:

Run 39:00 6.63 km (5:53 / km)

PE with Joe is tough this week. More reps, less recovery. I love it though :D

Wednesday:

Run 1:00:30 10.7 km (5:39 / km)

I thought I might not be in a position to do the TT on Saturday so I was going to do it tomorrow instead. I didn't do any PE so that my legs would be fresher. As it turned out I didn't get up in time to run on Thursday so I did PE with an added Abs workout to make up for the PE session I skipped. In the afternoon on Thursday, I had a free hour and I was able to get a hilly run done

Thursday:

Core (Abs workout ) 9:00

Run 48:19 [1] 8.8 km (5:29 / km)

Friday:

Skipped the run in preparation for the TT. I've been so tired this week. All I've done is sleep and sleep and dread the TT. It's like a thundercloud hanging over me, ready to spill rain on me :(

Saturday:

Run warm up/down 31:25 [1] 5.38 km (5:50 / km)
    Mile TT @ 6:23

Meant to get up early and do this so it wasn't too hot but although I was awake at 5am thanks to my cat, I was too lazy to get up and I went back to sleep until 8:30. Remembered to take my inhaler and actually managed to use it properly (always a bonus!) 5 min into my warmup I needed the loo so quick u turn and a quick pit stop. I got a good warm up done then with strides and I was cautiously optimistic that I could do a good run. After doing the last too interval sessions too fast, I was determined that I would do the first 400m of this TT no faster than 90 sec.
    I know the road from doing reps on it so I knew pretty well where each 400 marker is. I did the first 400 in around 92 sec. In hindsight that was still a bit ambitious. The second 400 was a bit more comfortable. The average pace had dropped from 3:50/km to 3:58/km. The third 400 was hurting. Didn't check my watch. Saw the av pace was dropping over the last 400 and I really had to dig deep to pull it back. I was torched at the end and my throat felt like sandpaper when I swallowed. I didn't have another second in me and I had to walk most of the way home. Managed a 5min cool down jog :D
    I just checked my logs and that's really the first mile I've done. I thought I did one on the track but the only one I can find is the xmas mile in 2017 which I did in 7:07. I guess it's a mile PB :D Although when I ran my 5k pb back in 2015, my first mile split was 6:16 so it's not sitting well with me. I feel like it's kind of a cheap pb.

My legs were not impressed but I didn't want to miss another session this week

Sunday:

Run 1:20:00 [1] 8.25 mi (9:42 / mi)
    Another hilly run

Run| 5 | 4:25:37 | 28.83 | 46.4
    Core| 5 | 2:39:00 |
    Total |7| 7:58:26 | 28.83| 46.4

Monday:

Run (Grass) 37:00 5.75 km (6:26 / km)

The run was around a freshly cut silage field. It was a bit rough but not too bad. Even at 8:30 it was still baking. Delighted I didn't have to do anymore.
    I quite enjoyed the mile on Saturday. I'd like to do another so I found an 8 week Nike plan. I'm going to try and get a proper pb so I'll aim for 6:15 (3:53/km) and adjust downwards if the training is going well.

Tuesday:

Run intervals (5 x 400) 45:00 7.35 km

5 x 400 @ 99, 92, 92, 92, 91

First speed session of the plan today. The goal was to run the 400s at goal mile pace (93sec/400m) to see what it feels like. 2 min recovery between the reps. My legs were tired after a killer PE session yesterday and I thought I might give it a miss but the plan is the plan so.... The first one was more of a testing of the water to see. I knew it was slow because the first 200 was slower than my recent 5k pace but I felt ok when I picked it up and even though I forgot my inhaler my breathing was pretty good. The rest of them were comfortably hard but not 'I need to lie down in a ditch for the next 10min hard', like my previous sessions. Delighted with that particularly because after the first rep I wasn't looking at my watch and just did them by feel:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

May 18th - May 24th

Monday:

Tuesday:

Run 1:00:00 10.81 km (5:33 / km)

Wednesday:

Run intervals 52:55 8.28 km
    20 min w/u with strides
    2 x 800 (3:01, 3:01)
    20 min c/d

I did the 800's on my mile route. After doing the 400's too fast last week and knowing I did them too fast, I'm struggling to come up with a reason why I did the 800's too fast this week :confused: I think I had decided that as I was only doing 2, I might as well just do them at max effort. And the reason I was only doing 2 was because my legs were knackered. I wanted them both the same time and I had to work super hard in the last 300m of the second rep to do that.

B]Thursday:[/B]

Run 40:30 7.0 km (5:47 / km)

Friday:

Run 1:01:50 10.61 km (5:50 / km)

Saturday:

Run 1:11:11 12.2 km (5:50 / km)

Sunday:

Run 1:12:00 8.0 mi (9:00 / mi)

Friday, Saturday and Sunday were all hilly runs. A little break from the PE to freshen up the legs.

Run| 6 | 5:58:26 | 38.39 | 61.77
    Core| 4 | 2:00:00 |
    Total |7| 7:58:26 | 38.39| 61.77

May 25th - Jun 2nd

Monday:

Tuesday:

Run 39:00 6.63 km (5:53 / km)

PE with Joe is tough this week. More reps, less recovery. I love it though :D

Wednesday:

Run 1:00:30 10.7 km (5:39 / km)

I thought I might not be in a position to do the TT on Saturday so I was going to do it tomorrow instead. I didn't do any PE so that my legs would be fresher. As it turned out I didn't get up in time to run on Thursday so I did PE with an added Abs workout to make up for the PE session I skipped. In the afternoon on Thursday, I had a free hour and I was able to get a hilly run done

Thursday:

Core (Abs workout ) 9:00

Run 48:19 [1] 8.8 km (5:29 / km)

Friday:

Skipped the run in preparation for the TT. I've been so tired this week. All I've done is sleep and sleep and dread the TT. It's like a thundercloud hanging over me, ready to spill rain on me :(

Saturday:

Run warm up/down 31:25 [1] 5.38 km (5:50 / km)
    Mile TT @ 6:23

Meant to get up early and do this so it wasn't too hot but although I was awake at 5am thanks to my cat, I was too lazy to get up and I went back to sleep until 8:30. Remembered to take my inhaler and actually managed to use it properly (always a bonus!) 5 min into my warmup I needed the loo so quick u turn and a quick pit stop. I got a good warm up done then with strides and I was cautiously optimistic that I could do a good run. After doing the last too interval sessions too fast, I was determined that I would do the first 400m of this TT no faster than 90 sec.
    I know the road from doing reps on it so I knew pretty well where each 400 marker is. I did the first 400 in around 92 sec. In hindsight that was still a bit ambitious. The second 400 was a bit more comfortable. The average pace had dropped from 3:50/km to 3:58/km. The third 400 was hurting. Didn't check my watch. Saw the av pace was dropping over the last 400 and I really had to dig deep to pull it back. I was torched at the end and my throat felt like sandpaper when I swallowed. I didn't have another second in me and I had to walk most of the way home. Managed a 5min cool down jog :D
    I just checked my logs and that's really the first mile I've done. I thought I did one on the track but the only one I can find is the xmas mile in 2017 which I did in 7:07. I guess it's a mile PB :D Although when I ran my 5k pb back in 2015, my first mile split was 6:16 so it's not sitting well with me. I feel like it's kind of a cheap pb.

My legs were not impressed but I didn't want to miss another session this week

Sunday:

Run 1:20:00 [1] 8.25 mi (9:42 / mi)
    Another hilly run

Run| 5 | 4:25:37 | 28.83 | 46.4
    Core| 5 | 2:39:00 |
    Total |7| 7:58:26 | 28.83| 46.4

Monday:

Run (Grass) 37:00 5.75 km (6:26 / km)

The run was around a freshly cut silage field. It was a bit rough but not too bad. Even at 8:30 it was still baking. Delighted I didn't have to do anymore.
    I quite enjoyed the mile on Saturday. I'd like to do another so I found an 8 week Nike plan. I'm going to try and get a proper pb so I'll aim for 6:15 (3:53/km) and adjust downwards if the training is going well.

Tuesday:

Run intervals (5 x 400) 45:00 7.35 km

5 x 400 @ 99, 92, 92, 92, 91

First speed session of the plan today. The goal was to run the 400s at goal mile pace (93sec/400m) to see what it feels like. 2 min recovery between the reps. My legs were tired after a killer PE session yesterday and I thought I might give it a miss but the plan is the plan so.... The first one was more of a testing of the water to see. I knew it was slow because the first 200 was slower than my recent 5k pace but I felt ok when I picked it up and even though I forgot my inhaler my breathing was pretty good. The rest of them were comfortably hard but not 'I need to lie down in a ditch for the next 10min hard', like my previous sessions. Delighted with that particularly because after the first rep I wasn't looking at my watch and just did the by feel:D

Good to bc see you motoring Madame!

Couple of questions:

- what happened the sprinting

- who the hell is Joe

- what sort of core stuff are you doing (always looking to add to my collection)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Another miler log we're taking over ;)

Good to bc see you motoring Madame!

Couple of questions:

- what happened the sprinting

- who the hell is Joe

- what sort of core stuff are you doing (always looking to add to my collection)

TbL

Thanks dude :D

I got a job in Dublin and I wasn't able to make the track sessions or the gym. I kind of wanted to go back to the longer distances anyway and then I got a place on a Swedish team for Itera adventure race last year and that sealed the deal.

How do you not know who Joe is??? Joe Wicks is a fitness coach. He has a YouTube channel and when the lockdown started, he started posting 30 min PE classes Monday to Friday. I love Joe Wicks. He has cured me of all my niggles. That's what I do for my core work. The PE class is a lot of squats, lunges, press ups, burpees, jumps, boxing, karate kicks but he keeps it interesting and different. This is day 1 https://youtu.be/Rz0go1pTda8

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Another miler log we're taking over ;)

Haha :D

I'll be coming to you with all my questions :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thanks dude :D

I got a job in Dublin and I wasn't able to make the track sessions or the gym. I kind of wanted to go back to the longer distances anyway and then I got a place on a Swedish team for Itera adventure race last year and that sealed the deal.

How do you not know who Joe is??? Joe Wicks is a fitness coach. He has a YouTube channel and when the lockdown started, he started posting 30 min PE classes Monday to Friday. I love Joe Wicks. He has cured me of all my niggles. That's what I do for my core work. The PE class is a lot of squats, lunges, press ups, burpees, jumps, boxing, karate kicks but he keeps it interesting and different. This is day 1 https://youtu.be/Rz0go1pTda8

I’ve just seen his hair, I’ll pass :)

TbL

I’ve just seen his hair, I’ll pass :)

TbL

Same fcukin style as yours only he hasn’t started coloring his yet!!!

Wednesday:
    Run 46:02 5.0 mi (9:12 / mi)
    9:39 - 8:42

My legs were a bit sore after the speed work yesterday. I was a bit enthusiastic doing some jump lunges and strained my right hamstring doing the PE with Joe. Nothing too serious I hope.

Thursday:

Run tempo 42:35 8.0 km (5:19 / km)

4km T 4:55 4:50 4:45 4:40

Legs felt fine. Today was tempo day. Plan said 2.5 mile tempo but I forgot to set it up as a session so 5 min into the warmup, I changed the autolap to kilometres and decided to do 2k warm up, 4k progressive tempo, 2k cool down. I did it as a progressive tempo because the plan said tempo should be a fast consistent pace, halfway between 10k and easy pace (for me 4:30 - 5:40), but 5:05/km felt a bit too easy. I found this comfortable and the kilometres ticked by really quickly. No PE today.

Friday:

Run 38:18 6.23 km (6:09 / km)

6:22 - 5:47

All the endurance and recovery runs in the plan are supposed to be progressive runs, progressing from a slower pace at the start to a faster pace at the end. This week I've been doing the first km as it comes and then I try to increase the pace by 5 sec/km on each subsequent km. It keeps my thinking that's for sure!

Saturday:

Run 49:40 9.0 km (5:31 / km)

(6:09 5:58 5:48 5:39 5:31 5:22 5:16 5:08 4:44)

Core (Abs workout ) 7:00

Today's run is down as a 3 - 5 mile endurance run in the plan. I wasn't sure if I should go a bit further. The endurance run increases by a mile each week and tops out at 10 miles. In the end I thought with 2 sessions in the bag already this week, I'd be better off just sticking to the plan. Controlling the pace was a bit more difficult with the wind and the hills. Right hamstring is a tiny bit stiff but it felt good at the end of the run. I did an extra abs workout after the PE because abs work is my favourite :D

Sunday:

Run 54:57 9.0 km (6:06 / km)

6:27 - 5:39

A beautiful day for a recovery run. I did a couple of loops of the bog. Legs were tired at the start but felt really good at the end.

activity | #| time| miles| km
    Run |7| 5:13:32 | 33.17| 53.38
    Core| 5| 2:37:00 |
    Total |7| 7:50:32| 33.17 | 53.38

Snap on the hamstring issue K, seems to be flavour of the month here lately!! And loving Ab’s work, sadistic!!

Snap on the hamstring issue K, seems to be flavour of the month here lately!! And loving Ab’s work, sadistic!!

Ya it's a nuisance. My right hamstring is weak and I do a few minutes work with it most days. Hopefully you're keeping on top of yours as well?

Ya it's a nuisance. My right hamstring is weak and I do a few minutes work with it most days. Hopefully you're keeping on top of yours as well?

Mine doesn’t affect me one bit running, few ping’s of discontent this afternoon after the run, I’ve been stretching it as appropriately as I can. I’ll pay full attention to it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You strained it Wednesday and did a tempo run ok on Thursday :eek:

Define "strain"?

an +1 on the extra abs work - I think Masochistic is more apt!

You strained it Wednesday and did a tempo run ok on Thursday :eek:

Define "strain"?

an +1 on the extra abs work - I think Masochistic is more apt!

Ah no I didn't actually strain it on Wednesday :o I can't remember when I did it. It could have been last week or before the mile TT. I was doing reverse jump lunges and I felt a twinge in my hamstring as I went down into the lunge. The reason I put it in my training log under Wednesday was because when I was running on Wednesday I remember it being a bit stiff and I wanted to put it in as a reminder.

I hope the icing is helping you. I'm always banging on about this but I find the l protocol really helpful for my hamstrings https://youtu.be/ONCSNxmQTzE

Monday:

Core (Abs workout ) 10:00

Monday is my rest day from running. The PE never seems to get easier :confused:

Tuesday:

Run intervals (15 x 200) 54:17 9.0 km (6:02 / km)

Set No:|Rep 1| Rep 2|Rep 3
    1|52| 50| 46
    2|51| 48 |45
    3|50| 48| 44
    4|50| 48| 45
    5|49 |47 |40

Core (Abs workout ) 5:00

Speed training today. The plan was 5 x (200m @ 10k pace, 200m @ 5k pace, 200m @ goal mile pace) off 1 min recoveries, with an extra 1 min recovery after the 3 set. I'd worked out that the times should be 54,50 and 46 so I did all the reps too quickly bar 2. In my defence, it's really difficult to pace 200m reps when you're not on the track because my watch is too slow to pick up the pace and then the reps are over too quickly. The weather was perfect for training this morning and I actually found this to be a pretty easy session.

• Advertisement

Wednesday:

Run 44:20 7.27 km (6:06 / km)
    6:20 - 5:45

The problem with not updating my log on a daily basis and only recording minimal details is that I can't remember squat when it comes to the end of the week. I quite like these recovery runs where you gradually increase the pace. I usually start off feeling like an old granny and by the end of the run I'm flying.

Thursday:

Run (fartlek) 41:55 7.53 km (5:34 / km)

Time (min) |1|2|3|2|1
    Pace (min/km)|4:06| 4:03| 4:00 |3:55 |3:48

Core (Abs workout ) 7:00

Tuesday's intervals felt easy. The run today was hard. The intervals were supposed to be at 5k pace (4:10) though so that's maybe why. I didn't intend for them to get faster as I went on but I'm happy they did. I walked the first 20 - 30 sec of the recoveries and then managed a sloooow jog.

Friday:

Run 48:20 8.0 km (6:03 / km)
    6:19 - 5:43

PE with Joe was hard this week. More reps, less recovery. Happy to be parking it for the weekend. The run felt fine

Saturday:

Run 1:14:00 13.0 km (5:42 / km)
    6:08 - 4:43

Yoga 20:00

Hilly run which was a bit longer than in the plan. I felt good but I may have done a bit too much especially with the last km because my right hamstring was complaining a bit afterwards. My aunt has a chronic back pain and I really think yoga would help. I couldn't get the internet to work though but I was able to demonstrate a few moves/sequences which she found helpful.

Sunday:

Run 34:09 5.51 km (6:12 / km)

Yoga 40:00

Recovery run around the silage field which was cut last week but is still brown because there's been so little rain. There was a thunderstorm last night. I was woken up at 4:30 a.m by the torrential rain, thunder that sounded like it was right above the house and the many flashes of lightning. By the time I ran 5 hours later the grass was barely wet and the ground was dry. I'd say you'd need a weeks solid rain to make any sort of difference. More yoga in the afternoon. This time the internet was working and I was able to introduce my aunt to the delights of Yoga with Adrienne. We did a 26 minute session for lower back pain and it was so good we did another 15 minute one. My aunt is now a fan and a follower :)

activity | #| time| miles| km
    Run| 6 | 4:57:01| 31.26| 50.31
    Core| 5| 2:52:00 |
    Yoga |2 | 1:00:00 |
    Total| 7| 8:49:01 | 31.26 50.31

Advertisement