Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blackhead in turkeys.

• 31-10-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

hi.wondering if any one has had (or is having) any experience of this. i have lost three of my birds in the last week and a half,and after doing a fair bit of internet research all signs point to blackhead,listlessness, foamy bright yellow poo,wings drooping etc. there appears to be no cure for this condition.i found a couple of sites that highly recommend mixing cayeine pepper with their food/water as a cure. i've been doing this for a few days but can still see signs of the yellow poo.just wondering if any one has tried this,and does it work.

regards. john.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What are you feeding them? Barley is supposed to be bad for Blackhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

growers pellets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

glaswegian wrote: »
    hi.wondering if any one has had (or is having) any experience of this. i have lost three of my birds in the last week and a half,and after doing a fair bit of internet research all signs point to blackhead,listlessness, foamy bright yellow poo,wings drooping etc. there appears to be no cure for this condition.i found a couple of sites that highly recommend mixing cayeine pepper with their food/water as a cure. i've been doing this for a few days but can still see signs of the yellow poo.just wondering if any one has tried this,and does it work.

regards. john.
    The disease is carried by chickens who are unaffected so you should not mix turkeys with chickens, or raise them on land either previously used for chickens or in buildings used for chickens unless they buildings have been thoroughly washed/cleaned. Liming chicken pasture may be beneficial in preventing the spread of the disease to turkeys.
    You should use vaccinated turkeys. When I first started, I lost 10 turkeys in 3 days to this disease-I had let the young poults run with chickens, but since then they are separated and vaccinated so no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

hi.i was running turkeys ,chickens and ducks together for the last 3 years and never had any bother,apart from a bit of a squabble now and again.since my last post i have lost another two,but none in the last three days. most advice i have been given via different smallholders sites is to worm them with flubenvet and keep them separate from the chooks(i've kept the turks in their shed since last saturday)i managed to get flubenvet yesterday and started them on their dose yesterday. i dont like keeping them inside as i'd rather have them out grazing in the fresh air,but it's hard to know what to do to keep them healthy :confused:.hopefuly it will pass and i can get them back outside.

regards.john.

Advertisement