Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Production Freeze Dried ?

Options
  • 31-10-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Im interested in producing freeze dried products for sale. From what i have researched, liquids are usually dehydrated to powder using spray drying equipment which is very expensive. However, it is possible to freeze dry food quite cost effectively using a standard dehydrator. For example liquid eggs can be dehydrated using this method. I have access to a regular supply of eggs also so this something I'm eager to try.

At the moment my biggest obstacles are that I'm not sure how possible it would be to legally produce these items at home but i may be able to use the kitchen space of a friend which should be suitable to accommodate such a task.

Ive tried researching the above on www.fsai.ie but I've not been able to find out much information in regard to freeze drying food for retail.

Would anybody have any idea if their is a specific process required for freeze drying food?

Advertisement