Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an External HDD (USB X.X ?)

Options
  • 31-10-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

I intend to buy an external HDD, 1 TB + to store movies on so I can use it to play through my saorview/tv box (not purchased yet).

1. My laptop is USB 1.0, so I understand that I will be limited to these transfer speeds. Is there any cost effective way I can upgrade my laptop, or is it worth it all?

2. Any recommendations on a HDD, or will any do?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot, you can treat yourself to a USB 2.0 adapter. 6 quid on Amazon UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Prinzen Rolle

Torqay wrote: »
    If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot, you can treat yourself to a USB 2.0 adapter. 6 quid on Amazon UK.

Unfortunately it doesn't. Any other options?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

I have a western digital passport which failed and they replaced it no questions asked

Btw you generally cant connect an external hard drive to a tv/dvd player etc. You have to get a memory stick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Get a wd media player,
    see
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055619582
    make sure its usb 2 , not USB 3, as most tuners, tvs, use usb 2 mode.ie they dont have usb 3 support .
    unless IT,S in the manual,
    ie usb2 ,USB 3 compatible drive compatible.
    get a saorsat tuner, record 1 channel, watch another,
    dixons,currys 49euro.
    you could sell laptop, by a usb 2 laptop on adverts ie.
    cost 140 approx.
    you can get media players with hd output ,
    and remote control unit.
    dont assume a drive will work on a tuner unless it has
    usb2 , and it mentions external pc windows , drive support
    in the manual.

Advertisement