Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compress .MOV files for Web?

Options
  • 31-10-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭

Could anyone steer me in the right direction, I've a few videos I want to upload to a website, I've only access to a dsl connection and it's taking forever even to upload one file.
    What program should I use to compress them, i've final cut pro but i've never used it, would do that the job? Whats the correct steps to take.
    Sorry haven't a clue when it comes to video files and editing/compression.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Hmm, to compress the video, you may change the resolution.
    You could try video converter such as aneesoft to have a try, and make sure select small resolution and ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

H.264 constrained to 1500 or 2000kb/s would provide a good quality to size ratio.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

put them through a free downloadable program called mpeg streamclip that will convert them to .mp4 so it can be uploaded quicker and viewed easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lilyeejames

I know a step by step guide on how to compress MOV, MKV, MPEG, AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, VOB, FLV, MPEG2 and more on Mac or Windows at How to Compress Video MOV, MKV, AVI, MP4, MPEG, FLV, WMV, VOB?

Besides compressing video to smaller files size, this guide also applies to compress audio to smaller file size, and applies to convert video to other video or audio formats

Hope it helps more or less

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Warning the above article is linked to a software specific guide, but as it doesn't look like spam I'll leave it.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What program should I use to compress them, i've final cut pro but i've never used it, would do that the job? Whats the correct steps to take.
    If it's anything like the Adobe suite it can be a nightmare to get the settings right. Divx have there own software for turning it into divx files that's easy to use but you'll end up with an avi rather than a .mov if that's makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 poppasmurf

Try MPEG Streamclip. I've used it with success. And if you don't mind using the command line, ffmpeg is very useful. there are gui's for it, platform specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 crawanned

There are three methods to compress a large MOV file:

Method one: Convert MOV to H.264 MP4
    Method two: Reduce MOV Frame Size
    Method three: Decrease MOV Bitrate

A lot of software can do the above three tasks. I'm using one of them named Faasoft MOV Compressor, which can compress mov files through the above three methods. The output quality is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 endeavorfrazer

I use iDealshare VideoGo to compress MOV file size

In this method, you may compress MOV as well as keep the original MOV video format or compress MOV as well as convert MOV to other video format like MP4, AVI, MPG, FLV, ASF, etc.
    After have a try, I find it does work great. It also helps to compress other video file size like compress MP4, MKV, AVI, AVCHD, MXF etc.

Advertisement