Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding over the winter

Options
  • 31-10-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 4yr old, 16hh ISH on loan and not sure what to feed over the winter. She's turned out for a few hours everyday and has plenty of hay when she's in. I've been giving her two handfuls of course mix with some linseed oil when she's worked. She can be a bit hot so want to keep condition on but not hype her up.

I'll feed haylage soon as it's what we have to hand. As this is sugary would it be too much to feed her beet pulp alongside the haylage? Or does this matter?

She's worked most days. I want to keep her in tip top condition in case the owners come to see her/I have to return her for any reason.

So just looking for a few suggestion of feeds/mixes that keep condition but won't wind her up.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

If you want to keep condition on and not heat her up feed a diet high in fibre and oils and low in sugar.

A cube like baileys top line conditioning cube is ideal and i have had tremendous results on only 2 scoops a day
    But they are pricey for a bag.

If i were you i would steer clear of sugar beet and feed speedi beet which is even better as it is 95% less sugar than sugar beet and is safe to feed to horses or ponies with laminitis. It will keep her condition on but with the less sugar

If you would like add a herb to her diet i cant recommend highly enough global herbs muscle up as this will add to her topline condition and she will look absoloutly in tip top shape.
    I have had great results with this particular diet with a horse who was in poor condition ( muscle wastage poor at keeping condition over winter and he has never looked back.
    Also plenty of oil in the feed during each feed .

If you dont want to her to be hot dont feed a grain - or any feed with a mix or a grain in it .
    She will still be fine to ride and have plenty of energy from the cubes

hope this helps
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Thanks a mill. Loads of info there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

She should have plenty of nutrients from a mix of hay, haylage and some sort of balancer.

I strongly feel that feeding a lot of hard feed is throwing money away with a lot of horses. If she starts to lose condition by all means change the diet, but you dont necessarily have to preempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I just felt she was getting a bit thin.

I can't see her ribs but can feel them easily. The conditioning mix and oils have given her a lovely shine and she's easier to manage than when on a mix.

I suppose it's expected that some condition will deteriorate over the winter.

Maybe it's that she's getting fitter too?

Advertisement