Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's changed for you since this time last year...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

A year closer to death

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Since this time last year I’ve stopped running away from myself, my problems and my Marriage. I grew up and realized the grass is not always greener. I’m finally acting my age. I have learned to accept myself for my good and bad and that I am a good person who has great values and appreciations of this beautiful world we live in. I’ve two wonderful children whom both blow my mind. I have paid off two cars loans in full this month, credit cards are paid off the only debt I have is my mortgage. I actually have some $$ left over after bills are paid for the first time in 10 years.

I feel alive and in control again. It’s amazing what a year can do. A long way to go, what’s important is, I’m heading in the right direction.

Stay strong folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Struggled but eventually got my MA
    Ended a 2 year relationship - didn't need or want to be controlled.
    Travelled a bit and worked in paradise
    Met the most amazing girl, she's in paradise - i'm stuck in rainy Ireland.
    Still feeling mighty worthless in this world
    2013 can't come quicker, it's been a dark few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Moved home from India where I had been working as an intern, to a well-paid and REAL (see: non-intern) job in Dublin. Sort of my dream job, in fact; I was very lucky.

Finally got to move in with my OH after 5 years together and 1 year apart while I was overseas.

Travelled to remote parts of Africa with work and had my eyes opened to many harsh realities of life, as well as beautiful parts of other cultures.

Overall an amazing year, full of highs, lows and creamy middles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Quite a year for me in no order@

Lost my own business:mad:

My mother died in January (still not over that)

Lucky to get a new permanent job.

Decided to lose weight.

Took up running in January. Was desperately unfit. First run was 1k and was wrecked but got to 10k by April and still going and enjoying it.

Have lost 17kg (2 St 9 Lbs), belly gone and wearing shirts again! Which is great

Lets see what next year brings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Suas11 wrote: »
    Not that much has changed for me but I have lost just over two and a half stone in weight which is a good thing, I guess..

Well done. Myself and the wife started two weeks ago, both of us could do with losing a stone to stone and a half each.

On whats changed for me in the last year.....I got married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Started back at college

Moved in with my partner

Started driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Beautiful GF, Beautiful son and business is getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Remmy wrote: »
    Graduated college with a 2:1 and lost 30 pounds.
    Head to the local Garda station, maybe someone handed it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

run a marathon.
    buying a house.
    using public transport again and remembering why i hate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

I bought a house with my boyfriend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Have the finest beard in the quadrant.
    Got a new mug.
    Changed my underwear, twice.

All in all a fairly successful year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Got married, moved to Wexford with my wife, learned to drive, have a baby on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

good topic OP. I became fully qualified and probated, got married, gave up my job and apartment and began travelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

I've moved to Edinburgh, started university - feel like I'm making headway in life again after a few years of arsing about in a dead end job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Nothing much has changed really, joined the gym (like most of the population) in January and then stopped going regularly after about a month!

Did start spinning also though and have kept that up - proud of myself for that.

Currently house hunting and have bid on a house so its a waiting game now - so there may be quite a big change by the end of the year - I might be a homeowner :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Have a new neice and nephew (first kids of the family)

Got a new job with better money

And have booked a one way ticket to Bangkok to start travelling next year. Been a decent year!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Turned 42 this year and just got married and gone back to college full time to do a qualification in science - guess it's never too late to reinvent yourself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I finished school and started a 4 year degree which I love :)
    Fell out with some friends, came closer to some others and made new ones in college :)
    Got a dog :D she's the coolest thing ever.
    Have way less money than I did when I was in school but have started drinking more and I don't stop till I black out now, which is new.
    My depression has gotten much worse but I'll probably get help soon hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

This time last year I was in Ireland, was working and single

Now in Toronto, unemployed and have a girlfriend

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

This time last year I was one of the happiest I'd ever been, had an amazing girlfriend and was in the best shape of my life on quite an intense training plan.

Since then my nan passed away, my relationship ended 3 weeks after that and it has been a messy break up since.

Hit the social scene quite hard for a couple of months and now I'm re-building myself up again looking to get into even better shape.

Moved into a new apartment in a lovely area and my job is going really well and received news that I am going on to better things in February.

It's been a dark few months scattered with bright moments of happiness.

I'm looking forward to 2013 for a new start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I felt like nothing had changed when I initially read this, but then I remembered some things:

- Got a promotion in work, which was nice. Even though it's not my dream role, I was happy with that.
    - Moved into an apartment on my own. I never thought I would ever want to, but then earlier in the year, I woke up one morning and it seemed like the walls of my tiny room were going to cave in on me, I just felt trapped, and that evening I found an amazing and affordable two-bed apartment, so family and friends can stay when they visit. I really love having the space. I can chill out and play my guitar and watch whatever I like, and it's great!!
    - Acted in a play, which I have been wanting to do for about 3 years now.

There were bad things too of course, still haven't managed to get my weight under control, which makes me want to avoid social gatherings, especially with relations, because I'm embarrassed about how I look. But I haven't given up yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I felt like nothing had changed when I initially read this, but then I remembered some things:

- Got a promotion in work, which was nice. Even though it's not my dream role, I was happy with that.
    - Moved into an apartment on my own. I never thought I would ever want to, but then earlier in the year, I woke up one morning and it seemed like the walls of my tiny room were going to cave in on me, I just felt trapped, and that evening I found an amazing and affordable two-bed apartment, so family and friends can stay when they visit. I really love having the space. I can chill out and play my guitar and watch whatever I like, and it's great!!
    - Acted in a play, which I have been wanting to do for about 3 years now.

There were bad things too of course, still haven't managed to get my weight under control, which makes me want to avoid social gatherings, especially with relations, because I'm embarrassed about how I look. But I haven't given up yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Gained four stone
    Because I was put on hugely high doses of steroids
    After spending a really long time in hospital
    Because I got a fairly serious illness that I will have for the rest of my life
    All a bit scary but I am happy to be here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Was 7 months pregnant this time last year. Now have a healthy, happy 9 month old after a gap of 11 and a half years:D
    This led to having to get a bigger car.
    Life is definitely busier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Have way less money than I did when I was in school but have started drinking more and I don't stop till I black out now, which is new.
    My depression has gotten much worse but I'll probably get help soon hopefully.

Drinking less will definitely help with the depression. Though I know the two might be feeding into one another. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I now have back trouble. Getting older is a nuisance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

am now paying a pension

roll on 2054:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I have a new, more permanent job. I have ran a marathon and am in the best shape of my life. I've got rid of some dead weight friends. all great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 dr.meow

Still drinking too much, still in the same relationship, still studying a degree that I find far too difficult.......but I've started going to the gym more!!

Tbh I'm kind of happy not much has changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

new car new job new house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I've lost a lot of friends, now It's dwindled down to my three childhood friends.
    Tried jogging to lose weight, waste of time.
    Still miserable in college and my social life has gone to sh*t due to unsuccessful job interviews.

Yep, even more miserable than I was this time last year. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Witchie wrote: »
    I now have an 18 year old son in University,

You raised an 18 year old boy since this time last year? Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Drinking less will definitely help with the depression. Though I know the two might be feeding into one another. Good luck!

Oh I realise this and I'm trying to get it under control. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

- Bought my first ever brand new car
    - Spent a fortune on said car, and have no savings left, but it will be paid off this year
    - Job has become stagnant, I'm fed up.
    - Job has got tougher, company are now employing other staff to watch us do our job. Said company don't give two hoots about their employees, we're just numbers.
    - Realising I want out, but have no real skills that are in demand in this climate.
    - Thinking about refocusing on IT and going back to do a degree part time next year. Also going part time in work so I'll have a life again (shift work).
    - On the eve of yet another weekend of 10 hour a day shift work on a 4am start, realising there has to be more to life

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weebuns12

This time last year was in my first year of a new job in England and living with long-term bf, but was so unhappy I was considering returning home. One year on, I am still in the job, relationship is over and am a homeowner. Still can hardly get my head around it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I've experienced true heartache this year. For most of this year I felt like I was going through hell. I lost the person I thought was the love of my life. Lost our house together. Then lost my dog. Lots of other **** happened too which left me feeling like this was the worst year of my life. I just didn't get a break from the agony.

Then I started living. Proper living life how I wanted. Realised how much better I was single- actually enjoying it! Started a job I love, putting my degree to use. Made great friends. Just did what I want really!
    If I'm honest only a few months of this year were spent not crying/being upset/feeling absolute despair but I can without a doubt say its been the best year for me.

And now I'm experiencing true happiness. Weird how things work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Super-Rush wrote: »
    4 babies?

:eek:
    Oops... JSON error while posting from my phone (it obviously went through!) Thank goodness only one :) - four??? :eek::eek::eek: I could blame lack of sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Moved out of the family home in a small town
    went back to education after 2 years on the dole in a nice city
    Came out to some family members and started to become comfortable with my sexuality.

just ticking over now for the year in college and gradually exploring the big bad world :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

bitburger wrote: »
    Moved out of the family home in a small town
    went back to education after 2 years on the dole in a nice city
    Came out to some family members and started to become comfortable with my sexuality.

just ticking over now for the year in college and gradually exploring the big bad world :D

Male or female? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Emigrated, got promoted, got a cat, gained two stone. Have stopped going to nightclubs, and started to enjoy getting up early on weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Fell in love for the first time even though I thought I was in love before I now realise it wasnt, this is real love. Gave her my heart 100% and she broke it but I made some bad mistakes such as jealousy, over reliance on her love and her time:( She changed me for the better though, realised I drank too much before meeting her and there are plenty of alternatives to drinking so just cut back hugely. Appreciate simple things in life now like going for a walk and just chatting. But also realise a couple are not a singular entity, just 2 individuals sharing lifes experiences as best they can. Now have to try get her back because I miss her terribly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Got the chance to work on saturdays.
    The extra few bob helps, now the next plan is to get the sundays for next year.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Emigrated, got promoted, got a cat, gained two stone. Have stopped going to nightclubs, and started to enjoy getting up early on weekends.

Living up to your name then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Turned out I don't like girls. Parents were good about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Its amazing what the power of positive thinking ad making the most of your life no matter what as best you can can bring you, Ive realised this a lot more this year.
    This time last year I was having not exactly the best year to say the least, twas the worst year tbh but I learnt from it, making the most of things trying new things etc but still not exactly happy at all!

Since this year started its been my best ever and "the year of me" and all that truly with newness, fun and full on happy times,
    Now, Im celebrating 6months together with my love, happier than Ive ever been and tbh, sappy i know but feck it its true :D, just hoping hes as true to me as he says! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

RayM wrote: »
    For me, everything has changed since this time last year. My mother died this year, and I've fallen into an intense depressive trough, from which I've yet to emerge.

Im a year ahead of ye man, my Mam died in 2010 and well into 2011 was the worst year of my life....It'll slowly turn around, grieving is a slow process-it will get better, may not seem it now but trust me, it will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Lots of things, most importantly I have the best, most amazing most beautiful girlfriend in the world :) xxx♥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

This time last year I was living at home with my parents in the countryside, not paying rent and working in Dunnes Stores. I vaguely talked about going travelling, but had no concrete plans or even places.

Now, I'm living with my boyfriend in the heart of Tokyo, paying €800 rent a month for a teeny tiny Japanese apartment, and working as an English teacher.

First time we've both stood on our own two feet. I've grown up a lot.

Advertisement