Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikram Yoga Evening Classes - CC/Ranelagh/Dundrum

Options
  • 31-10-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Sorry if this has been covered before, but two questions on bikram yoga.

I'm thinking of taking up yoga to help with some muscle tightness i've got and improve overall flexibility. My physio told me that bikram is the best form of yoga to help with muscle tightness, so was planning on giving it a go.

I had heard bikram is the toughest of the yoga's (i know little or not about yoga if I'm honest). Is it something which a beginner can get into or is it more advanced?

And does anybody know any places doing bikram yoga evening classes in Dublin City Centre, Ranelagh/Rathmines or Dundrum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

floggg wrote: »
    Hi guys

Sorry if this has been covered before, but two questions on bikram yoga.

I'm thinking of taking up yoga to help with some muscle tightness i've got and improve overall flexibility. My physio told me that bikram is the best form of yoga to help with muscle tightness, so was planning on giving it a go.

I had heard bikram is the toughest of the yoga's (i know little or not about yoga if I'm honest). Is it something which a beginner can get into or is it more advanced?

And does anybody know any places doing bikram yoga evening classes in Dublin City Centre, Ranelagh/Rathmines or Dundrum?

I've never done bikram or any other type of hot yoga so can't comment on the difficulty level but if you're not sure, I'd suggest giving the yoga studio a call. I know Yoga Dublin have classes in Rathfarnham and the Elbow Room have them in Stoneybatter. There's a good description of hot yoga here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There are several studios in Dublin, off the top of my head there is one in Harold's Cross, Docklands, Drury St and Sandyford. There is also Hot Yoga (also taught in high temperatures, but not to set Bikram sequence) in Rathfarnham and I think Sandyford as well.
    Not sure if Bikram would be great for you to start with though, it's fairly demanding due to the temperature and the abundance of balancing postures where you need good flexibility, strength and balance. It improves flexibility, but as it's largely due to externally generated heat from the heaters, so people can actually overstretch if they go too far when their bodies are artificially made more supple. Perhaps a more mainstream yoga with some movement, such as any classes labelled as Flow or Vinyasa, would be better to start with? Your flexibility is then improved by how much suppleness and heat you can generate yourself from movement and breath. I would consider it a safer start if you have muscle tightness.

Advertisement