Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 for free?

Options
  • 31-10-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Have windows 8 here, Home edition or whatever it's called Basic, not Pro anyway.

Can Microsoft, or pc manufacturer Asus, give me an older version of windows?

Somebody wants to trade?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

There are downgrade rights for a preinstalled OEM version of windows 8 pro, not the basic OEM or any system builder versions unfortunately :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Install this http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ and you basically have windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Ahh bollokcs.

Does the Classic shell support search (win7 search results?) directly by pressing Win key?

I have 29 days to figure out something cheap. Not paying more than few tenner for an OS which is actually previous version of a current available.
    IF not, hopefully Ubuntu or similar fully and properly support components of my laptop asus k56ca.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If you hate Windows 8 I would suspect that Ubuntu + Unity may not be your cup of tea either. :p

Strongly suggest Mint + cinnamon desktop instead.

Wouldn't worry too much about component support, every time I install windows I have to go find my wireless adapter drivers, which work out of the box every time with Ubuntu or Mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

freestyla wrote: »
    Ahh bollokcs.

Does the Classic shell support search (win7 search results?) directly by pressing Win key?

I have 29 days to figure out something cheap. Not paying more than few tenner for an OS which is actually previous version of a current available.
    IF not, hopefully Ubuntu or similar fully and properly support components of my laptop asus k56ca.

Dunno if windows 8 is the same , but on windows 7 you could use a simple re-arm console command and get another month on the trial version , you could do this 3 times before it stopped responding.

Windows 8 has a different search shortcut than the previous ones , I think its like Win+Q or something (Haven't used Win8 in months)

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    If you hate Windows 8 I would suspect that Ubuntu + Unity may not be your cup of tea either. :p

Strongly suggest Mint + cinnamon desktop instead.

Wouldn't worry too much about component support, every time I install windows I have to go find my wireless adapter drivers, which work out of the box every time with Ubuntu or Mint.

I don't mind learning something new, like Linux would be for me now, but it's annoying when something familiar and functional , as Windows 7 is, changed in the next version and makes me re-adopt/re-learn, swipe and touch.. feck that.

I did use Ubuntu for some months last year. Couldn't figure out sound drivers so went back to XP.

Just read this and turns me even more towards Linux
    http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/10/valve-linux-more-viable-than-windows-8.html
    Although I'm not so much of a gamer but do kill few hours a week

papu wrote: »
    Dunno if windows 8 is the same , but on windows 7 you could use a simple re-arm console command and get another month on the trial version , you could do this 3 times before it stopped responding.

Windows 8 has a different search shortcut than the previous ones , I think its like Win+Q or something (Haven't used Win8 in months)

Thanks for a tip.

Win + F bring search in Win8 but it's God damn full screen search window in Metrosexual style

Advertisement