Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Help!?!?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am having a problem with Vista. I cant access my Control Panel, I keep getting the error msg "Windows Explorer has stopped working". No error number or anything.

I have tried everything on Microsoft help website and nothing worked.

Anyone got any ideas???

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi all,

I am having a problem with Vista. I cant access my Control Panel, I keep getting the error msg "Windows Explorer has stopped working". No error number or anything.

I have tried everything on Microsoft help website and nothing worked.

Anyone got any ideas???

Cheers

Uninstall any codec packs that exist on the computer, try moving items like mp3s, videos etc off the desktop completely and see if it helps

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Looks like your system files are corrupt.

Press the windows start button, then click all programs, then look for and click accessories, in there look for command prompt and right click it and left click run as administrator.

On the black screen type in SFC /SCANNOW notice that there is a space between the SFC and the forward slash. Just type that in and hit enter and let it scan for and try to fix system file errors. Usually will fix this problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Upgrade to windows 7. Windows Vista is the worst operating system ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Download CCleaner and go to tools > Startup Programs. Disable Everything from starting with your PC.

Run registry clean in CCleaner. Fix errors. Run it again until there are none.

Check for updates to Vista, update it.

Enable audio driver and Nvidia/Radeon (Video card/Graphics) drivers to start with PC in CCleaner.

If you can, save log file of startup programs, and post it here.

Also download Malwarebytes and run it. and Spybot S&D.

areyawell wrote: »
    Upgrade to windows 7. Windows Vista is the worst operating system ever made.

Mod note: Helpful answers only please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mattatude84

Allyall wrote: »
    Download CCleaner and go to tools > Startup Programs. Disable Everything from starting with your PC.

Run registry clean in CCleaner. Fix errors. Run it again until there are none.

Check for updates to Vista, update it.

Enable audio driver and Nvidia/Radeon (Video card/Graphics) drivers to start with PC in CCleaner.

If you can, save log file of startup programs, and post it here.

Also download Malwarebytes and run it. and Spybot S&D.

I've tried these options, still no change. Here's the starup programs:

Sidebar
    ehTray.exe
    TPwrMain
    Toshiba TEMPO
    Toshiba Registra
    SynTPEnh
    SunJavaUpdateSched
    SmoothView
    skytel.exe
    rthdvcpl.exe
    QuickTime Task
    Persistence
    MSC
    IgfxTray
    HSON
    hpqSRMon
    HP Software Update
    HotKeysCmds
    HDMICtrlMan
    Google EULA Launcher
    Google Desktop Search
    Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
    00TCrdMain

I hope you can help as it is drivin me soft :confused:

I've tried these options, still no change. Here's the starup programs:

Sidebar
    ehTray.exe
    TPwrMain
    Toshiba TEMPO
    Toshiba Registra
    SynTPEnh
    SunJavaUpdateSched
    SmoothView
    skytel.exe
    rthdvcpl.exe
    QuickTime Task
    Persistence
    MSC
    IgfxTray
    HSON
    hpqSRMon
    HP Software Update
    HotKeysCmds
    HDMICtrlMan
    Google EULA Launcher
    Google Desktop Search
    Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
    00TCrdMain

I hope you can help as it is drivin me soft :confused:

Do you have any codec packs installed?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mattatude84

I ran SCANNOW and got the following:

"found corrupt files but was unable to fix them.
    details are included in the CBS.log"

I cant access this file though.

I ran SCANNOW and got the following:

"found corrupt files but was unable to fix them.
    details are included in the CBS.log"

I cant access this file though.

Looks like hard disk failure may be imminent. Back up your data and run a diagnostic scan on the drive. I reccomend MHDD or vivard which are available on the UBCD

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

This is a fix for the control panel missing in vista, give it a shot to see if it works for you.

Right click a blank space on your taskbar and then click "start task manager"

you will see services up the top of the box and services in the lower right of the box so check inside both of these for these file-names. if they are not in services on the top then look in the other services box on the bottom right of the same box.

Click services and look for sl ui notification service and stop it if it's started.

Then look for software licensing and do the same, stop it, it'll bring up a window about ready boost go ahead and stop the service.

Then under software licensing put it back to automatic and start the service, then go back to sl ui notification service and do the same, set to automatic and start the service.

then Check to see if control panel works. or restart the computer and have a look.

Hope that works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement