Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joxer Daly's?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Anyone know that the story with this pub on Dorset St. is?

Passed by today for the first time in a couple of weeks and it's been renamed "Long Island Bar"???

Been Joxers as long as I've known it (30 odd yeards), shame.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

same owner that has it, just the name has changed! I was wondering this the other day as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Apparently the Long Island bar is what it was originally called years ago.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Are they going to repaint it? its still green, white and orange since that football thingy during the summer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Here it is as the Long Island Bar in the 60s.
    154_Long_Island_Bar.preview.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sidd wrote: »
    Passed by today for the first time in a couple of weeks
    It changed just after the all Ireland finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

spurious wrote: »
    Here it is as the Long Island Bar in the 60s.
    154_Long_Island_Bar.preview.jpg

Wow, great picture, by the looks of it, was taken from the front door of where I lived until earlier this year!!! any other such photo's?? would love to see other parts of the area from that time.

Any idea when it changed to Joxers and what happened the upper floors from the original building? Seems like the first two floors are the same today as in the pic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I got that from Dublin City Council's digital collection - hours of amusement. They have a whole folder of old pubs.
    http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/image-galleries/digital-collections

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

spurious wrote: »
    I got that from Dublin City Council's digital collection - hours of amusement. They have a whole folder of old pubs.
    http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/image-galleries/digital-collections

Ooh, addictive!

Just passing these today, i wasnt sure if it was a new bar or just a renamed Joxy dailys. I spent many a night in there. I kinda want to go back, HAs anybody been there recently ? Is it new owners, or is Jonny Brown still there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I had many a session Joxers and Tom Mayes over a 13 years period back in the 80s when I worked in nth frederick st..great memories

• Advertisement

Yeah Tom Mayes is great also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Another small loss for public memory of Seán O'Casey's Dublin. I was speaking with 30 inner city kids a couple of weeks ago about the 1913 Lockout and not a single one had ever heard of Seán O'Casey, never mind read his amazing plays and their huge social consciousness. When I was in school we all studied an O'Casey play.

Advertisement