Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It looks like China could be reviewing their one child policy.

• 01-11-2012 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A Chinese government think tank has urged the country's leaders to start phasing out its one-child policy immediately and allow two children for every family by 2015. The unpopular restriction - which has been in place since 1980 - has led to millions fewer births, but also contributed to the ageing of China's huge population. The proposal is being given extra weight because it has been put forward by the China Development Research Foundation which is close to the government's central leadership.

Maybe this could be an indication that they are considering expanding their borders.:eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2225709/Is-China-scrap-child-policy-Government-think-tank-urges-leaders-allow-children-family-2015.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

A Chinese government think tank has urged the country's leaders to start phasing out its one-child policy immediately and allow two children for every family by 2015. The unpopular restriction - which has been in place since 1980 - has led to millions fewer births, but also contributed to the ageing of China's huge population. The proposal is being given extra weight because it has been put forward by the China Development Research Foundation which is close to the government's central leadership.

Maybe this could be an indication that they are considering expanding their borders.:eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2225709/Is-China-scrap-child-policy-Government-think-tank-urges-leaders-allow-children-family-2015.html

haha. I love your jump in logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Seriously, is everything a conspiracy to you?
    When you order a sandwich in a shop, do you look around with shifty eyes and keep saying "I'm on to you!".....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Someone should warn Tibet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

sure they all look the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Thought 1.4 billion would have been enough. I know men outnumber women there, but let's face it, they do have a few hundred million prospective partners to chose from. And rich people already have several children in China. They simply pay the fines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dean09 wrote: »
    Seriously, is everything a conspiracy to you?
    When you order a sandwich in a shop, do you look around with shifty eyes and keep saying "I'm on to you!".....?

I make my own sandwiches. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

China is less densely populated than the UK.
    They don't read the Daily Mail.

Pherekydes wrote: »

China is less densely populated than the UK.
    They don't read the Daily Mail.

They can invade Australia. That's less densely populated than the UK too. And they already have cousins there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You see this:

and infer this:

Here's a conspiracy theory: maybe RTDH is a paranoid delusional? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

But are you sure its free range lettuce?

Ignoring the "OMG dem dere chineasy want de land" bit.

Sure china has a masive population, but I'm sure India is has matched it as this stage.
    Maybe restrict families to having two kids as mentioned. Less chance of the unwanted girls ending up orphanages or getting dumped at birth.

• Advertisement

They can invade Australia. That's less densely populated than the UK too. And they already have cousins there.
    Not to mention Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

g'wan the china

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

RTDH conspiring to expand conspiracy theories forum into other parts of boards.ie....

Invasions aside, a lot of 'little emperors' are going to be mightily pissed off at having to share the inheritance with a new sibling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Great, more savages to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cameron's just pissed off that unlike Britain, the Chinese are investing in Africa rather than pillaging it for all it's worth.

sdeire wrote: »
    Cameron's just pissed off that unlike Britain, the Chinese are investing in Africa rather than pillaging it for all it's worth.

The Chinese are pillaging it for all it's worth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I still don't understand how they can justify this restriction and why human rights haven't jumped on it in 30 years
    Have they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Perhaps you should make em with lithium sandwich spread ;)

unkel wrote: »
    Perhaps you should make em with lithium sandwich spread ;)

I tried that before but then I went back to the thermal paste for flavour

Tasty tasty thermal pasty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

Its the only way to delay the inevitable revolution. they have a pop that is getting older with half the pop to support them. their economy will go tits up trying to cope with the support for old folks like every other country. its a delay tactic at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_China#Population_density_and_distribution
    While China is the most populated country in the world, its national population density (137/km2) is not very high, similar to those of Switzerland and the Czech Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Thought most of them were relocating to Athlone?

Grand bunch o'lads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

India looks set to overtake China as the world's most populous country within 20 years or so. It's population is now about 1.22 billion. That gives it a demographic advantage in the form of a larger share of the population being of working age, but it is likely to face problems similar to those of China some decades down the road.:cool:

The Chinese have known for quite a while that their one-child policy has put their demographic structure way out of kilter and there are already many exceptions to the policy. It is likely to be relaxed further in the fairly near future.:)

When President Hu was asked if they had elections in China, he replied: "Yes, vely big ploblem. Too many elections evely night --- ":eek:

OK, I'll get my coat.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think the law is generally accepted in China, probably given that its been there for so long. If you have more than one child you pay tax against that child - twins are exempt. Maybe they see it as a better choice than famine.

I think Japan has the same problem with the future demographics and the size of the workforce against those unable to work.

I have heard some nasty stories about the Chinese enforcing the law, not sure if they're true or not. Probably pinch of salt stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its the only way to delay the inevitable revolution. they have a pop that is getting older with half the pop to support them. their economy will go tits up trying to cope with the support for old folks like every other country. its a delay tactic at best
    Yep. It's not their only problem either, but it's a biggie. They're getting older before they're getting richer. No economy has survived such a shift. They're closing down primary schools to beat the band and the number of Chinese expected to enter third level is likely to near halve by 2014. On top of that they have the largest commodities bubble in world history. If you thought Irelands building boom/tulip mania/bubble was bad? Oi vey, China is fooked on that score. They're building ghost cities. They get some headlines outside China, but the more worrying thing is the towns that have grown into cities in the last decade where the majority of revenue generated is in property; construction, developers, landlords, housing services etc. Sure sign you're in a building boom? Tile and bathroom emporiums. Sound familiar? I read some stats a while back from their governments own power company and it showed something daft like 300,000 apartments hadn't used electricity in the previous six months. That's cos they're empty. Maybe the Chinese will get around this? I dunno though. I doubt it. The increasing divide between the peasants, the old one hundred names and the urban rich could be another major flashpoint for the society.
    I have heard some nasty stories about the Chinese enforcing the law, not sure if they're true or not. Probably pinch of salt stuff.
    I read an interesting book from an American chap who lived in China for many years who decided to drive their "route 66) across China. Being fluent in the language helped him get some insight. One episode on a bus in the hinterlands referenced what you're talking about. Two state nurses were discussing very late, near term abortions as if they were nothing and got quite nonplussed at the westerner's look of horror, but quickly clammed up knowing how it would be perceived.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

eth0 wrote: »
    The Chinese are pillaging it for all it's worth.

Probably apocryphal, but I've read that most Africans are none too pleased with the way the Chinese are operating in their countries.

When the British came, they were b@st@rds, but you get on in the world with them: they built schools, and so on, so there were some kind of prospects, poor though they were.

When the Americans came, they were also b@st@rds, but they paid well.

When the Chinese came, they brought their own people with them. Can't even get a job from them!

I also remember reading a while back about some bigwig in the Chinese military (oh how I wish I could find the link) opining that China really needed a naval base closer to Africa, what with so much of their business being there, and so much threat to their trade from Somali pirates etc. I was struck by the irony of it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I still don't understand how they can justify this restriction and why human rights haven't jumped on it in 30 years
    Have they?

Initially their population was expanding at a rate greater then they'd be able to support. The problem now is they have to tweak the birth rate to sustain the older population.

It makes sense to implement what they did.

Wibbs wrote: »

I read an interesting book from an American chap who lived in China for many years who decided to drive their "route 66) across China. Being fluent in the language helped him get some insight. One episode on a bus in the hinterlands referenced what you're talking about. Two state nurses were discussing very late, near term abortions as if they were nothing and got quite nonplussed at the westerner's look of horror, but quickly clammed up knowing how it would be perceived.

China Road, isn't it? Excellent book, but I thought he was English...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

:eek: If all the Chinese decide to fornicate at the one time when this policy is dropped, the resulting vibrations of all that banging could create a seismic shift that could realign countries. Fingers crossed we'll end up somewhere around Hawaii. You go Nung Sun Choo, bang her good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Have they?

The real truth is that though it has resulted in a very skewed demographic and many other awful social issues it has avoided a famine that would make the African continent famines look like a minor shortage of food...

It really was a desperate measure to avoid a horrific impending famine and in to some extent it served its goals..

In recent years moves have been ongoing to relax the policy, particularly along the coastal more affluant cities.

Maybe this could be an indication that they are considering expanding their borders.
    Wait, I thought you'd said the world governments were getting ready to depopulate?
    the number of Chinese expected to enter third level is likely to near halve by 2014.
    I have to ask, compared to when?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have to ask, compared to when?
    Compared to the last two decades growth kinda thing. They had a huge population of young and cheap workers that fueled their economic miracle* and that's dropping like a stone. This will impact their productivity. It will also impact their costs. Dropping working population means that workers that are coming into the system can charge more for their work, so costs go up. They may try to outsource to Africa, hence one of their interests in the place. Either way it's a troubling problem for them.

On their presence in Africa. I watched a documentary on same a while back. The locals were getting increasingly pissed off with the Chinese. I could see why. When the Chinese were interviewed many of their attitudes to the locals would have not been out of place at a genteel garden party at the hight of European colonialism.

*Historically speaking it seems when you hear the words "economic miracle" attached to a country previously below the radar it's almost a given it'll be followed by the words "economic downturn" even collapse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

On their presence in Africa. I watched a documentary on same a while back. The locals were getting increasingly pissed off with the Chinese. I could see why. When the Chinese were interviewed many of their attitudes to the locals would have not been out of place at a genteel garden party at the hight of European colonialism.

Yeah. They really do look down on them. Do you remember that incident a little while back where the Chinese managers opened fire on their African staff with shotguns? And as for the tensions around Chocolate City in Guangzhou...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

sdeire wrote: »
    You see this:

and infer this:

Here's a conspiracy theory: maybe RTDH is a paranoid delusional? :D

I reckon RTDH is a CIA operative tasked with coming up with stuff so nonsensical (Obama physically resembling Hitler being my personal favourite) that when anyone would dare come up with any type of plausible conspiracy theory we would all just label them as a delusional nut, and the CIA then goes on to carry out their nefarious plot with imounity.

My 2 cents :pac: (2 cent coin which ias been used to lift my DNA profile to CIA hq upon touching it of course)

• Advertisement

(Obama physically resembling Hitler being my personal favourite)

Got a link to this gem? Can't be arsed trawling through his demented post history.

Got a link to this gem? Can't be arsed trawling through his demented post history.
    You won't find it because it is a figment of his imagination.

However I did post several comparisons between Adolph Hitler and Barack Obama. :)

Now don't tease, give us a recap of the similarities?

Now don't tease, give us a recap of the similarities?
    Some people would say it is quite unfair to compare Hitler to Obama. After all, Hitler started WWII and killed 11,000,000 Jews and dissidents at various death camps, and Obama has done nothing like that.

I would say it's only unfair if you compare Hitler at the end of his rule to the beginning of Obama's. But if there is a comparison made between Hitler and Obama at the beginning of their rise to power, it's extremely fair

Here's some of the similarities:

Powerful speeches to hypnotize and control the eager masses who came to hear them speak.

Both Hitler and Obama held rallies in huge outdoor stadiums to excite and inflame the people's passions.

Both Hitler and Obama had ghost written autobiographies prior to the start of their run for political office. Hitler wrote Mein Kampf (My Struggle), and Obama wrote Dreams Of My Father. Both men then wrote a second book talking about their goals for German and America. Hitler wrote A New World Order, and Obama wrote The Audacity of Hope.

Both Hitler and Obama originally had last names that were changed later in life. Hitler used to be Schickelbruber, and Obama's last name was Soetoro.

Both Hitler and Obama hid their real identifies. Hiter had a Jewish ancestry, and Obama a Muslim one. But unlike Hitler, Obama flaunted his Muslim roots in his start as a politician in order to defuse the inevitable firestorm. His ploy of "hiding in plain sight" worked very well.

Both Hitler and Obama advocate using young people as a driving force to create an "army" of youth dedicated to their Ideals. Hitler had his Hitler Youth, and Obama his Obama Youth Brigade.

Both Hitler and Obama received Messianic comparisons, and both men had songs of adoration written about them and for them.

Both men had their own logos.

There is quite a lot more to add to this including the stark similarities between Obamacare and Hitler's T4 programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

For someone who is so caught up in conspiracies you sure do spend a lot of time on the auld internet, which is probably the worst place you could be. They are watching you right now RTDH. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Some people would say it is quite unfair to compare Hitler to Obama. After all, Hitler started WWII and killed 11,000,000 Jews and dissidents at various death camps, and Obama has done nothing like that.

I would say it's only unfair if you compare Hitler at the end of his rule to the beginning of Obama's. But if there is a comparison made between Hitler and Obama at the beginning of their rise to power, it's extremely fair

Powerful speeches to hypnotize and control the eager masses who came to hear them speak.

Both Hitler and Obama held rallies in huge outdoor stadiums to excite and inflame the people's passions.

Both Hitler and Obama had ghost written autobiographies prior to the start of their run for political office. Hitler wrote Mein Kampf (My Struggle), and Obama wrote Dreams Of My Father. Both men then wrote a second book talking about their goals for German and America. Hitler wrote A New World Order, and Obama wrote The Audacity of Hope.

Both Hitler and Obama originally had last names that were changed later in life. Hitler used to be Schickelbruber, and Obama's last name was Soetoro.

Both Hitler and Obama hid their real identifies. Hiter had a Jewish ancestry, and Obama a Muslim one. But unlike Hitler, Obama flaunted his Muslim roots in his start as a politician in order to defuse the inevitable firestorm. His ploy of "hiding in plain sight" worked very well.

Both Hitler and Obama advocate using young people as a driving force to create an "army" of youth dedicated to their Ideals. Hitler had his Hitler Youth, and Obama his Obama Youth Brigade.

Both Hitler and Obama received Messianic comparisons, and both men had songs of adoration written about them and for them.

There is quite a lot more to add to this including the stark similarities between Obamacare and Hitler's T4 programme.
    Hitler had a moustache - I have a moustache

Hitler spoke German - I speak German

Hitler was Catholic - I am Catholic

Hitler once had diarrhea - I once had diarrhea

Hitler wore a coat - I wear a coat

By your logic, I = Hitler? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Demented. No other work for it, just.....demented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Other similarities.

Both are male.
    Both were about the same age on getting to power.
    Both have two eyes.
    Both have two legs.
    Both have more than one testicle.
    Both wear suits, and dress up for formal occasions.
    Both sleep in beds.
    Neither have travelled to the moon.

A holocaust in inevitable.

Drakares wrote: »

Hitler spoke - I speak

But at least you don't go about arming terrorists and indiscriminately murdering civilians on foreign soil with unmanned drones.

Drakares wrote: »

Hitler once had diarrhea - I once had diarrhea

two holocausts now inevitable.

But at least you don't go about arming terrorists and indiscriminately murdering civilians on foreign soil with unmanned drones.

See thats the logic you should apply to Obama and Hitler.

Obama is not a racist.
    Obama is not intending to kill millions of jews, or slavs.

He does make political speeches, as hitler did.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

That's what I tell the ladies!

Anyway, China.

A 1 child policy is a good idea to stop population growth, however the problem is that it will eventually reduce the population exponentially. Down to one person over time in fact. This reduction is hidden because of previous population "momentum" but once it kicks in it is rapid. Increasing to 2 children will not stuck the drop now, but halt it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Sorry guys I don't normally come to After Hours, but I heard China is invading Australia, is that right??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

You won't find it because it is a figment of his imagination.

However I did post several comparisons between Adolph Hitler and Barack Obama. :)

Indeed he did.

And while I am way too lazy to find the actual post, you mentioned that they bare a striking physical resemblance if one dscounts moustache and skin colour.

Which is as tenous as saying that if I discount the old woman next doors wrinkles, blue rinse, saggy hung down tits, walking stick, and glasses, she closely resembles Mila Kunis.

Right, Im off to shag the nost beautiful lookalike woman in the world if I can ignore the bad parts......

• Advertisement
Advertisement