Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like quitting

Options
  • 01-11-2012 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently working 3 days as a trainee accountant. I have two kids , creche fees etc and i just don't feel i'm being paid enough.
    I really like my job but the salary does not make it easy to get up out of bed in the mornings. I work 9am-6pm 3days and earn €250 gross (before taxes)
    I'm in my 30s and just feel that i'm worth way more than this. I am starting to regret the decision to become an accountant.

My job is fairly demanding and i work hard, get on very well with clients and feel i am very employable. I have a first class honours degree and even won an award. 10 years ago i was earning more. I know my employer thinks a lot of me , but i dont think i can continue on the pay.

Am i being reasonable in my thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

My job is fairly demanding and i work hard, get on very well with clients and feel i am very employable. I have a first class honours degree and even won an award. 10 years ago i was earning more. I know my employer thinks a lot of me , but i dont think i can continue on the pay.

Am i being reasonable in my thoughts?

The country is in the middle of a crisis, and many people are earning half or less of they were earning ten years ago.

A job for many people now, is just threading water, and hoping things will get better. If you really can't continue on the pay, try for something else - but weigh everything else up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

are there other benefits you might be able to apply for that will take some strain off you financially? such as FIS or a medical card, rent or mortgage subsidy from the HSE?
    If you were able to get something like this, you might find out that you are better off on a 3 day week on a lower salary, than if you were to be paid €5 an hour more, as the extra cash might be worth less to you than the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Labour markets are all about supply and demand.

Is there someone else offering you a part-time role, with a better salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Labour markets are all about supply and demand.

Is there someone else offering you a part-time role, with a better salary?

Yes much more but the only issue is that I wouldn't get auditing experience. I'm unsure myself as to what the audit experience is actually worth to me in the long run but I feel it gives all round extensive experience and knowledge of different industries.

Little ted . I do ave medical card and fis but not mortgage subsidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Walking out of a job with nothing set up is a bad path to go down... Start looking for something else ASAP, you'll have a better chance of getting work if your in a job..

If you quit and it takes six months to get another interview.... what will you say you were doing and why you left... will it not affect your reference too..

I'd say keep your head down, look for alternative work and focus on the time you spend with your family as it will help take your mind of the crappy job..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Little ted . I do ave medical card and fis but not mortgage subsidy.

So then you need to make sure that if you did get a pay raise or move jobs, that you would not exclude yourself from these things.An employee of ours actually asked us recently NOT to be given a pay raise of €2 per hour, as by getting this she would loose her medical card and other benefits. Given that her kidsseems to catch every bug going and are at the doctors at least once a month for one or other of them, she would be out of pocket if she lost her medical card and also had her PRSI and USC go up. So if you do go looking for a pay raise or a new job then you need to be sure that any pay raise actually works in your favour - so maybe €2 per hour wouldn't be enough, but €6 would? And if you changed jobs would you have higher travel expenses?I'm sure as an accountant you have done the math and know what figure you need to be paid, so sorry if I am teaching granny to suck eggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Op, sounds like you're getting paid the going rate. You're only a trainee after all and as you're parttime it will take you longer to gain practical experience

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for your input everyone. But is it really the going rate for someone who prepares monthly management accounts, payroll, works independently huge parts of audits, acts as financial controller for clients, pulls accounts together ? I haven't completed my exams yet ..so I call myself a trainee.
    I just feel a little taken advantage of to be honest. And if I'm very honest, I learned that another employee with less experience than me and started on less than me....got a pay rise to bring them above me. They do work hard also and I don't begrudge them but a manager that they "click" with pushed for their rise. (I'm not supposed to know)

Anyway, after the week I've had I think I'm decided that I will look for a new job as a Financial controller. I was definitely not planning on walking out before having a job to walk into, so I'm sorry for using the word quit.

Tony I'm only recently part time as my youngest is under 1. I have 2yrs full time practical experience. I also have previous experience that counts (I've worked in accounts for 10years+)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Fedup2955 wrote: »
    Tony I'm only recently part time as my youngest is under 1. I have 2yrs full time practical experience. I also have previous experience that counts (I've worked in accounts for 10years+)

In that case, it's only the going rate if you're working for it. The best thing you can do is get any new job offer and bring it to your employer to match.

Advertisement