Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokin the pipe - A bit self conscious -

Options
  • 01-11-2012 3:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Just took up the pipe.

I'm in my 30s but getting a lot of comments from others suggesting that I'm like an ould man.

Anyone else get this? Normally I don't give a toss what others think but this is starting to get to me.

I love the pipe and I'm still getting used to it.
    I only light her up about 3 or 4 times a day.

Its a lot better than the 20 - 30 Benson & Hedges I used to get through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Galwayguy20

I think you're just going to have to get used to it! I generally don't smoke mine in public, mostly because I rarely have the time/Galway weather isn't exactly consistently good enough to be able to sit outside for an hour and enjoy one.

I have to admit though there are social reasons for it too. I don't think it's possible for someone my age (21) to smoke one without looking terribly affected, so I generally only smoke it at home or at a friends house who also smokes one. I suppose you could just tell people that you're using it to stay off the fags. Anyway, I hope you keep doing it in public! That way maybe it'll become more common and weaker willed people like myself won't get so self conscious and start smoking it in public :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I hope you keep doing it in public! That way maybe it'll become more common and weaker willed people like myself won't get so self conscious and start smoking it in public :o
    This! I've been out and proud since I was 25 and everyone else can just get used to it.

It's not an affectation, it's a very pleasant and flexible method of delivering psychoactive drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've overcome cronic shyness and self-consiousness and as such I now have no problem smoking the pipe in public. Living my life by placing too much reliance on other peoples opinions is now long past for me - thankfully.

What I do notice though is that for every derogatary comment I get about the pipe I get 3, 4, 5 positive comments. It's difficult to have a pipe without someone coming over to tell me how wonderful it smells and how much it reminds them of daddy/grandad/uncle.
    Nice icebreaker in the smoking area. :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

This is Ireland, you'll always have w@nkers who think your business is their business.

Concentrate on the compliments and ignore the rest. Smoke in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Lapin wrote: »
    Just took up the pipe.

I'm in my 30s but getting a lot of comments from others suggesting that I'm like an ould man.
    Don't stop here. Get yourself a cane stick and a fine 3-piece tweed suit and have a relaxed walk around with a pipe one sunny Saturday. Show (those who forgot it these days) how a gentleman should look like. Make them realise that same as there is no such thing as an "old lady" there is no such thing as an "old gentleman" (or a "young gentleman" for that matter)! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Lapin wrote: »
    Just took up the pipe.

Anyone else get this? Normally I don't give a toss what others think but this is starting to get to me.

I love the pipe and I'm still getting used to it.
    I only light her up about 3 or 4 times a day.

Its a lot better than the 20 - 30 Benson & Hedges I used to get through.

Im the same age and have gotten those comments, as the others have said I laugh them off or take no notice, everyone likes the smell of a pipe neway :D

Enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

i have never got a complaint but i do smoke aromatics perhaps smoking a twist rope tobbacco you may get a diffrent reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

I'm just out the back of my house smoking mine now. I won't really smoke mine in public either, but then it's a relaxing thing so I like to have some peace and quite too whilst enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Churchwarden

I tend to smoke mine at home or in friends homes (if they also are smokers) and the odd few times I smoke outside I do get looks. But really it should not be a bother. It is rare to see pipe smokers out and about these days. Firstly, smoking while walking in public, to me, defeats the idea of pipe smoking. It is not a cigarette and should not be used as one. Sit, meditate on smoking it, nursing it and relax with your thoughts. So if your going to smoke, smoke when you are in a comfortable surrounding and with folk you are comfortable with. Not on the street for the hoo haws to gawk at. Secondly, as I said previously, pipe smokers are a novelty to see on the street. Remember that when someone is giving you funny looks while your puffing away on some beautiful aromatics in a tasty briar and they are gobbing on their filthy little habit sticks, feel secure that you are not the one who is silly. Try and form a group of like minded smokers who you can meet regularly once a month in a public area, pub, etc, where you can all puff away and stare down the Johnny Blues and Leafy Ambers.
    I am thinking of forming a pipe smokers group but I know there is one already in Dublin which I dont want to thread on their toes. Sadly they don't seem to be regularly organized.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Secondly, as I said previously, pipe smokers are a novelty to see on the street. Remember that when someone is giving you funny looks while your puffing away on some beautiful aromatics in a tasty briar and they are gobbing on their filthy little habit sticks, feel secure that you are not the one who is silly. Try and form a group of like minded smokers who you can meet regularly once a month in a public area, pub, etc, where you can all puff away and stare down the Johnny Blues and Leafy Ambers.

Please don't denigrate those of us that smoke cigarettes. Many of us get as much enjoyment from a cigarette as you do from a pipe. This being the smoking forum,it provides a sanctuary for those of us who indulge in a habit that is becoming more and more reviled by the public. Whether it be pipe or cigarette,we all get enjoyment from tobacco.

Years ago i used to think that pipe smokers came out with a lot of elitist nonsense and looked down on cigarette smokers. Thankfully over the years the pipe smokers i've met have proven me wrong but your post reminds me of that attitude that i hated so much.

• Advertisement

Lord Lucan, my point to Lapin's post is that non smokers and cigarette smokers alike look strangely at pipe smokers, which is hypocritical to a degree. Especially when they themselves have a smoke twixt their lips. There is also open vocal comments from cigarette smokers, to which I have been told I look like a w***er by my dearest friends, all cigarette smokers and rollie smokers themselves. Yes, there is an elitist element within the pipe smoking community as there is in the cigar smoking community and as there is in the cigarette community. I understand that people get pleasure from smoking cigarettes and I am allowed to express my opinion and distaste for cigarette smoking (previously an 60 a day man). The forum may be a safe haven for cigarette smokers, but this thread is discussing pipe smoking and Lapin's new appreciation for the pipe. As he said himself, "Its a lot better than the 20 - 30 Benson & Hedges I used to get through."
    I do not want to tread on your toes Lord Lucan, seeing as you are a moderator, but again, I am entitled to my opinion without rebuke am I not? As long as I am advising Lapin on the best way to stand up to his "gawkers" and feel a sense of pride in his new hobby I don't think I am doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I understand that people get pleasure from smoking cigarettes and I am allowed to express my opinion and distaste for cigarette smoking (previously an 60 a day man).

No, you don't get to express your opinion when it's in contraventioin of the forum charter.
    If you continue along this line of discussion - singling out ciggy smokers or elitist cigar smokers then we will have no choice but to ban you.

No further discussion of Mod decision in this thread please. If you wish for any clarification on any Mod decision then please use the Personal Message (PM) system.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Then I stand corrected. Smoke in peace.

And as a Gentleman I would like to apologize to Lord Lucan and promise to abide by the forum charter. Namely sections 1 and 3.

Regards
    Churchwarden

Advertisement