Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First snow of the year!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

jeltz wrote: »
    Snow is not remotely rare in Ulster it snows every year, guaranteed!

There are even private gritting and ploughing services along with the public services. http://www.u.tv/Articles/Article.aspx?guid=ec443264-1de2-4369-b41e-72689b9b1504

Every night from now until the middle of April, we will have over 300 staff and 132 gritters on standby to salt main roads, helping drivers to cope with wintry conditions.

"Salt barns and stockpiles have already been filled to maximum capacity and Roads Service is now holding stocks of almost 110,000 tonnes of salt."

Mr Kennedy said £5m had been set aside for the gritting operation which involves covering around 7,000km of main roads in just over three hours.

He added that, in the event of prolonged snowfall, all machines will be fitted with snow ploughs and efforts will be directed to motorways and other busier routes.

"The operation will continue until all roads are cleared, but this may take some time, even with all resources deployed," said the minister.

"In very deep snow, Roads Service will use its nine snow blowers, the latest of which can shift 1,600 tonnes of snow an hour."

Hi Jeltz, I am not sure why you keep driving home the point that it snows in Ulster every year, guaranteed. It snows in all four Irish provinces every year, guaranteed !! :D

The only problem is that a lot of that snow is well above sea level , i.e hills and mountains.

The whole idea that Ulster is some snow lover's heaven on a par with say Sweden is frankly ludicrous! Are you seriously suggesting that if you cross the border into North Leinster or East Connaught, there is a marked difference in climate? Now come on, no one is buying that!! :D:D

PS, we have lots of snow ploughs down in Dublin too and we have used them on the M50 plenty of times in recent years!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Cousin of mine cleared the snow from in front of his shop two years ago and was advised by his solicitor that it was a very bad idea that could leave him open to being sued by both anyone who happened to fall and the local council. The compo culture strikes again

This is one of the things I refer to in relation to attitude to severe weather. The person in question was performing a service to the whole community and rather than this being a good thing it is deemed to be a risky thing and should not be encouraged.

I wonder if the solicitor or anybody in general could look at the reverse of the situation whereby instead of the shop keeper being sued for clearing the snow in front of his shop and someone falling over suing him, that instead someone falls and sues the shop keeper for NOT clearing the snow. An interesting thought.

I cleared the snow in front of my house, it certainly helped me when descending my drive way onto the public road and again when ascending.

Preparation for severe weather is more about common sense and self-education rather than governments and local authorities spending millions in case it might snow.

Again I use the example of having running water when all my neighbours supply was frozen and also driving without running into difficulties on a wide variety of roads from off-road tracks, tertiary roads, secondary roads, primary roads and motorways, all of which had a wide variety of conditions, some of which were ploughed, some were treated and others received absolutely no attention. I simply approached the situation with care and attention, being properly kitted out and prepared to fend for myself if getting stranded thereby not burdening states services who would be better helping those in a worse situation than I may have found myself in. Didn't cost me much at all, in fact it's just common sense and preperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jeltz

derekon wrote: »
    The whole idea that Ulster is some snow lover's heaven on a par with say Sweden is frankly ludicrous! Are you seriously suggesting that if you cross the border into North Leinster or East Connaught, there is a marked difference in climate? Now come on, no one is buying that!! :D:D

I have never ever compared here to Sweden.

Though in fairness some coastal areas of south Sweden see virtually no snow due to the moderating influence of the sea likewise on the coast of Norway even into the Arctic Circle due to the gulf stream. Sweden and Norway have huge differences in the duration of cold and snowfall levels in the interior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Cousin of mine cleared the snow from in front of his shop two years ago and was advised by his solicitor that it was a very bad idea that could leave him open to being sued by both anyone who happened to fall and the local council. The compo culture strikes again

Slight bit of an old wives' tale. The Attorney General stated back in 2010 that liability would not arise if the snow is cleared in a safe manner.

Now if you go and clear the snow with boiling water and the following morning a guy slips on the resulting ice, then you may face being sued.

I have never ever compared here to Sweden.

Though in fairness some coastal areas of south Sweden see virtually no snow due to the moderating influence of the sea likewise on the coast of Norway even into the Arctic Circle due to the gulf stream. Sweden and Norway have huge differences in the duration of cold and snowfall levels in the interior.

Fair enough you have not compared Ulster to Sweden, but the point I am making is that your posts paint Ulster as some sort of utopia for snow lovers. Quite simply its not. Are you seriously saying that if you cross the border from Down to Louth, the snow turns to rain?!! :D:D

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Of course there's personal responsibility, and as far I can see, many people do shovel their own driveways. Well, they did around my way during the snowy 2010 period. But at a greater level, it's hard for Ireland to justify putting the money into preparation for snow as they do in colder countries, as there are much more pressing needs that need to be prioritised.

The point I am making (perhaps badly) is that preperation need not cost money.

For example:-

Ensuring tyres are in good condition and appropriate for expected driving conditions.

Carry some warm clothing and a blanket or two in case of becoming stranded.

Carry a small quantity of high energy food such as chocolate, cereal bars etc... The likes of Pot Noodle or similar is great comfort food if carrying the below...

Carry a bottle or two of water. Perhaps a method of heating it for a warm drink. Small 1300Watt Camping Gaz burner with small canister takes up very little space. I have a Trangia burner (complete kit with wind guard, two pots, fuel container) which takes up less room than 4 paperback novels. Approx €15 cost.

Folding shovel. One with a metal locking screw rather than the poor quality plastic ones.

5ltr container of fuel.

Packet of baby wipes. Useful for ALL occasions :)

All that lot can easily fit into a plastic storage box that can easily be dropped into the boot of nearly any vehicle.

If people attempt to clear snow outside their property this can help mobility immensely. For anyone not travelling, a gallon of spring water is not expensive, wind up torch etc... Ensuring an adequate supply of fuel and food. All common sense items and ideas. Checking on neighbours can be great for morale too.

Nothing in that list costs a fortune yet can help a person so much if they run into trouble. If you're warm, dry, reasonably well fed and stranded, not in immediate danger, you won't need rescuing thereby reducing the burden on state resources. So Ireland doesn't need to spend a fortune for something that may or may not happen, we just need a positive attitude and perhaps check the weather forecast occasionally ;)

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Now if you go and clear the snow with boiling water and the following morning a guy slips on the resulting ice, then you may face being sued.

Throwing boiling water down is an excellent way of creating ice!

Throwing boiling water down is an excellent way of creating ice!

Ehhh- that was my point. :cool:

Tactical wrote: »
    The point I am making (perhaps badly) is that preperation need not cost money.

For example:-

Ensuring tyres are in good condition and appropriate for expected driving conditions.

Carry some warm clothing and a blanket or two in case of becoming stranded.

(etc)

Nothing in that list costs a fortune yet can help a person so much if they run into trouble. If you're warm, dry, reasonably well fed and stranded, not in immediate danger, you won't need rescuing thereby reducing the burden on state resources. So Ireland doesn't need to spend a fortune for something that may or may not happen, we just need a positive attitude and perhaps check the weather forecast occasionally ;)

People have died when trapped in their cars by snow.

You are not going to be one of them but when you think of how many people don't take any kind of precautions it is by good fortune they don't get stuck because they could easily be a statistic.

Fair enough you have not compared Ulster to Sweden, but the point I am making is that your posts paint Ulster as some sort of utopia for snow lovers. Quite simply its not. Are you seriously saying that if you cross the border from Down to Louth, the snow turns to rain?!! :D:D

D

I have said nothing of the sort.

It is quite clear there is a gradient from the north to the south of the country.

What happens when an arctic air mass, for what ever reason, enters the country? Where does it hit first? What part does it get stuck over? What part does topographical features play?

You must have seen enough charts so far.

• Advertisement

Ehhh- that was my point. :cool:

Are you a lawyer?! ;):D

Are you a lawyer?! ;):D
    Lol - You've tried to clear snow with boiling water haven't you! :D

I have said nothing of the sort.

It is quite clear there is a gradient from the north to the south of the country.

What happens when an arctic air mass, for what ever reason, enters the country? Where does it hit first? What part does it get stuck over? What part does topographical features play?

You must have seen enough charts so far.

Obviously if the wind comes down from arctic regions, it hits Ulster first - it is the most northerly province of Ireland. No one is saying it is not!

However you might also note that a Siberian blast gives snow to Belfast and Dublin in equal measure..........Witness the snow in Dublin in 2010.......:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcwac-tRHlE

D

Fair enough you have not compared Ulster to Sweden, but the point I am making is that your posts paint Ulster as some sort of utopia for snow lovers.

In fact rather than saying it is a utopia I was pointing out it is dangerous.

Black ice can form from September onwards in the north facing areas because there are so many small hills with high hedges and the September to December period is the wettest part of the year so that when it does freeze on occasion overnight there is enough water around to be dangerous. I am speaking from experience. There are more freezing events in most years in October than September.

From November onward on certain roads round here gaps start appearing in hedges. Often you can see the car laying there, sometimes on the roof. About half of the time they are powerful RWD cars their owners can't control on ice. In the past many would have been killed or severely injured. Modern car safety features mean more people walk away or spend a while in hospital. There are still fatalities.

We have to be prepared for this and snowfall every year because it is only a matter of when, not if.

Lol - You've tried to clear snow with boiling water haven't you! :D

Worse!

I deliberately tried to create a slide. :D

Falling down hurt though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Worse!

I deliberately tried to create a slide. :D

Falling down hurt though. :(

You forgot to mix marshmallows into the boiling water first, didn't you?

Thoie wrote: »
    You forgot to mix marshmallows into the boiling water first, didn't you?

They would be eaten in seconds round here. :D

Obviously if the wind comes down from arctic regions, it hits Ulster first - it is the most northerly province of Ireland. No one is saying it is not!

However you might also note that a Siberian blast gives snow to Belfast and Dublin in equal measure..........Witness the snow in Dublin in 2010.......:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcwac-tRHlE

D

Good video.

The Beast from the East can sometimes be a bit dry.

The past few years snow events here have been lacking wind so there hasn't been the kind of drifiting that has happened in the past. The archive footage is shown from time to time on BBC NI and UTV but I don't think it is online. It will be interesting to see if that happens again. In strong winds the snow blows everywhere, even down your neck. If you drive at night and get a whiteout with windblown fine flakes they are so dazzling that I have had to switch the lights to dip then off completely as it is easier to see the road, daft as it may sound, and only some meters at that.

Also lying snow in the last few years hasn't been particularly deep. The daytime temperatures were lower than usual though so the snow had stayed dry. Again it would be interesting to see if we have 'snowmageddon' in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

Very reminiscent of owenc round here with all the Ulster talk. :rolleyes:

Well, the place is generally best avoided, especially when it doesn't seem like it should be avoided. . . :pac: . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well guys first hard frost of the season here this morning! Was soooo excited even though I was perished! :D Had to pour water from the kettle over the car and everything - aaah brings me back to November 2010....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

:)

226744.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Snow on the Galtees this morning. It looked like a perfect morning for black-ice and thes was confirmed when (on the way to work) there was an bad accident on the dual-cabbageway about 3km from the Jack Lynch tunnel, 2 cars involved, looks like nobody hurt (phew), but it looked like one car came down the hill (going northwards) and ended up at 90 degrees on the southbound lane :eek:, cue major traffic delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Snow on the Galtees this morning. It looked like a perfect morning for black-ice and thes was confirmed when (on the way to work) there was an bad accident on the dual-cabbageway about 3km from the Jack Lynch tunnel, 2 cars involved, looks like nobody hurt (phew), but it looked like one car came down the hill (going northwards) and ended up at 90 degrees on the southbound lane :eek:, cue major traffic delays.

:eek: dear God, hope everyone is ok. I have a feeling this is only the start of it guys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

catch.23 wrote: »
    Very reminiscent of owenc round here with all the Ulster talk. :rolleyes:

[pedant] It's actually NI as opposed to Ulster, lest we forget Donegal, Monaghan & Cavan who doubtless do not have access to the NI army of gritters, fleets of ploughs and squadrons (?) of snow blowers ;) [/pedant]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

leahyl wrote: »
    :eek: dear God, hope everyone is ok. I have a feeling this is only the start of it guys.

Black ice in my parts this morning too. Car was sheeted in it.

I still say the start of this year mirrors 2008/09 most closely of recent winters. That too was v cold around halloween and it turned into a very frosty winter but with no sustained cold spell and, with the exception of the Dublin region in Feb, no real snow around. Certainly there wasn't a flake in these parts but there must have been ca. 65 night frosts from 31 Oct to late April as I recall.

Nov 2010 actually started out very mild and wet and it was only at the back end of the month that the extreme cold started if I recall correctly.

Of course each winter is different so who knows.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Well guys first hard frost of the season here this morning! Was soooo excited even though I was perished! :D

Gorgeous winter's morning. Cold, crisp, frosty, sunny. Perfect. Was lovely to walk to work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Well guys first hard frost of the season here this morning! Was soooo excited even though I was perished! :D Had to pour water from the kettle over the car and everything - aaah brings me back to November 2010....:pac:

It wasn't quite cold enough in Kildare to have frost this morning, but we've had a few, and I had to scrape the car in Dublin on Wednesday night.

However, the hot water isn't a great idea - you're far better off scraping the ice off. Tesco have ice-scrapers in stock, or you can just use a plastic card (possibly a better use for the credit card than the intended one... :) ).

If you use hot water, you run a risk of cracking the glass, damaging the seal around it, and - if it's still cold enough, which I'll grant it often isn't - leaving water to form ice just around where you'll be getting out of the car later on. Scrapers, as used in Scandinavia, Germany, and other countries where this is a daily task, are a better tool for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

gothwalk wrote: »
    It wasn't quite cold enough in Kildare to have frost this morning, but we've had a few, and I had to scrape the car in Dublin on Wednesday night.

However, the hot water isn't a great idea - you're far better off scraping the ice off. Tesco have ice-scrapers in stock, or you can just use a plastic card (possibly a better use for the credit card than the intended one... :) ).

If you use hot water, you run a risk of cracking the glass, damaging the seal around it, and - if it's still cold enough, which I'll grant it often isn't - leaving water to form ice just around where you'll be getting out of the car later on. Scrapers, as used in Scandinavia, Germany, and other countries where this is a daily task, are a better tool for the job.

ha yes, never use hot water on a windscreen - if the air is still freezing your nice clear window will be a sheet of ice by the time you get onto the main road! Dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Morning folks, looks like the rebel county is leading the charge yet again, snow yesterday and widespread frost this morning!!

I still think tonight could deliver for hilly areas!! (in Cork :D)

Advertisement