Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First snow of the year!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I have to say Roger's forecast for today looks a bit ott to me. My view is that tonight could deliver for hilly areas, falling snow - nothing lying and mainly for the West, though as I said earlier Cork esp west Cork could see something. As for earlier today and rest of wkd, sorry Roger but imo the conditions are just not there and this is backed up by rain reports in the NW this morning.
    Tonight for me is the one, and then next cold spell:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rasmus wrote: »
    ha yes, never use hot water on a windscreen - if the air is still freezing your nice clear window will be a sheet of ice by the time you get onto the main road! Dangerous.

Don't worry it wasn't boiling water, just lukewarm

I have to say Roger's forecast for today looks a bit ott to me. My view is that tonight could deliver for hilly areas, falling snow - nothing lying and mainly for the West, though as I said earlier Cork esp west Cork could see something. As for earlier today and rest of wkd, sorry Roger but imo the conditions are just not there and this is backed up by rain reports in the NW this morning.
    Tonight for me is the one, and then next cold spell:)

Who's Roger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

leahyl wrote: »
    Don't worry it wasn't boiling water, just lukewarm

Wasn't directed at you!

Rasmus wrote: »
    Wasn't directed at you!

What?! You were commenting on a post that had commented on me pouring water over the windscreen so I just assumed - apologies!

• Advertisement

What?! You were commenting on a post that had commented on me pouring water over the windscreen so I just assumed - apologies!

No, many people do it, I was talking about it in general. Sorry if you thought I was singling you out. I did this myself when I was young and had to pull over because I couldn't see the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Who's Roger?
    Rodger J Smith,trust me you know him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Who's Roger?

M.T

I thought MT had a completely different name....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ah yes Roger, you mean Peter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I thought MT had a completely different name....

Ok Leahyl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 okfine

Never use boiling water to clean your windscreen bad idea-don't do it,ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

How about the non freezing washer fluid, whilst last winter was no test, it worked reasonably I thought.

gbee wrote: »
    How about the non freezing washer fluid, whilst last winter was no test, it worked reasonably I thought.

Why not just use a scraper? It's in the boot ready for any eventuality!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jeltz

If you want to be sure your screen cleaner is not going to freeze you need the Comma XStream -65C stuff or the -70C Volkswagen stuff from VW dealers. I use the -5C concentrate from Tesco all year as it is cheapest and shifts dirt well and shove some Comma stuff in when the real cold starts around December.

Beware if you had your car serviced, they top it up with cheap shoite that will have no freezing protection, you need to get rid of some of that stuff before you fortify it.

Frozen screen wash is dangerous even when the gritters have been out as the brown stuff gets thrown up and covers the screen with muck you can't see out of.

I have noticed that a lot of modern cars have smaller engines than they used so if the screen wash thingy does freeze up it will take a lot longer for it to warm up as there is a lot of space between it and the engine. They are normally on the cold metal at the side of the engine bay which doesn't help either.

I am not so worried about black ice or snow covered roads these days because a few years ago I got winter type all season tyres for the car, Hankook optimo 4s, they can be used all year round. Its not just the tread pattern it stays flexible when it gets cold, it is fine for our coldest temperatures, maybe not for Sweden at -40C in winter, but great all year here, no problems with summer temperatures.

Some of our friends have 2 winter tyres on the front all year round, a few change to winter tyres in November, one leaves winter tyres on all year round, some use all seasons like mine from Hankook or Kleber. Some people could never even get up the first quarter of their hill in summer tyres when it snowed and we are talking about centimetres not meters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

jeltz wrote: »
    Some of our friends have 2 winter tyres on the front all year round, a few change to winter tyres in November, one leaves winter tyres on all year round, some use all seasons like mine from Hankook or Kleber. Some people could never even get up the first quarter of their hill in summer tyres when it snowed and we are talking about centimetres not meters!

It's my understanding that having a mix of Winter and Summer tyres on the one car is dangerous, it should be either one or the other.
    As you say all season really are the best for our climate:)

It's my understanding that having a mix of Winter and Summer tyres on the one car is dangerous, it should be either one or the other.

I would never ever do it myself, I have a full set, but she drives like a snail :D and seems to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

As you say all season really are the best for our climate:)

I agree - IMHO having different braking and grip characteristics between front and rear axles is a recipe for disaster (unless drift car stuff is your thing :D). Have heard of a few people who do it and got away with it in the past (all FWD vehicles) but personally wouldn't chance it myself.
    This has been posted in the past in other forums on winter tyres but its a good example all the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzB7hpWhqIA

Just put mine back on the other day, which means I'm guaranteed not to see any snow this winter - got them last year and we know how that turned out :mad:

V1 wrote: »
    This has been posted in the past in other forums on winter tyres but its a good example all the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzB7hpWhqIA

Great video, shows how dangerous it can be.

For people not familiar with North American tyres 'all season' tyres are actually the normal tyres that almost everyone has on their car here. They are not the same as European 'all season' tyres which are suitable for winter use. To save typing there is more in my post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81549133&postcount=38

Advertisement