Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding socket to lighting circuit?

• 01-11-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭

I'm not planning on doing this myself (I know my limitations), but was wondering what the story is with best practice and building regulations regarding adding a socket to a lighting circuit.

I want to add a socket in a bedroom for a small wall mounted TV (almost at ceiling level). All the nearby attic wiring is for the lighting circuit - it looks like the circuit for the sockets comes up from floor level.

Is this something contrary to building regulations? What would a professional electrician recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Don't do it, the socket won't be protected by the RCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

very bad idea best bet is to find discreet corner run some surface wiring in conduit from an existing socket up to and across the attic and drop it down to the new socket

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You cant add a socket to a lighting circuit.

Lighting is 1.5mm T&E...(Twin and Earth)

Electrical sockets are 2.5mm T&E....(twin and Earth)

You will be blowing things and will also cause a possible fire hazzardtoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

Thanks Guys, I was kind of afraid thats what you would say - will need to check the alternative options so..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

homer911 wrote: »
    Thanks Guys, I was kind of afraid thats what you would say - will need to check the alternative options so..

Depending on how your house is wired and what type of circuit the upstairs sockets are on,then you could take a feed off a socket in the bedroom room next to yours and just add on another socket.

And if its a hollow plasterboard wall with a plastic backbox,then even better still.Switch off the socket RCD or the power completely.Open up the existing socket,drill a 12-15mm hole through the back of the plasterboard wall into the other bedroom,run a length of 2.5 T&E and then wire,fit new back box and wire up new double socket.

An electrician would have this done for you in 10-15 minutes or less.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you can put a dedicated socket up high for the tv( above the maximum height of 1200m for general purpose sockets)

i think then you also need a(accessible )switch according to latest rules amendment as far as i can tell

so you'd prob branch off a 2.5 radial circuit into a 20amp switch(fitted between 400 and 1600) and up to your dedicated tv socket

don't wire off the immersion either -that's not allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

Haven spoken with an electrician friend, I think my best option, given my setup, is to completely disconnect the immersion, then run a cable from it up through the attic and across to either a switched socket , or a socket with a.switch on the same circuit

Then if ever we move out, I'll just disconnect it and reconnect the immersion.

We never use the immersion anyway. We use the central heating in winter for hot water and have solar in the summer, with the boiler as backup.

Advertisement