Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Costume goes on fire

Options
  • 01-11-2012 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

Just heard on the news that somebody is in critical condition after their halloween costume went up in flames in a nightclub in Galway last night. How awful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Horrible story but it really didn't warrant a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Horrible thing to happen,Any idea what nightclub this happened in?

Also speedy recovery to the injured person.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dendof

Possibly Electric Garden. Awful thing to happen. Hope he recovers ok.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/28590-man-hospitalised-after-halloween-costume-catches-fire-city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Heard it happened in Halo on the news this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Abbeygate Street>

sorry, don't know much about nightclubs anymore. Gone way past that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scary indeed, hope he makes a full recovery.

Heno94 wrote: »
    I was stood less than 10ft away from it, and it was indeed in Halo, scary stuff. I don't think people realised someone was on fire

What was he dressed as?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

swine wrote: »
    Horrible story but it really didn't warrant a thread.

If setting fire to somebody in a busy place doesn't warrant a thread then please tell me what does.

I hope the victim makes a full recovery and the arsonist gets plenty of time to mull over what he did in Mountjoy.

What kind of a fúcking eejit does a thing like that ?

Lapin wrote: »
    If setting fire to somebody in a busy place doesn't warrant a thread then please tell me what does.

I hope the victim makes a full recovery and the arsonist gets plenty of time to mull over what he did in Mountjoy.

Hang on, was this done on purpose? I didn't hear anything about it being done on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Where does it say he was set on fire, your the only one saying that, what proof have you, maybe there were lit candles or something else caused this horrible incident. Pray he recovers ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Advertiser reports it as being intentional, that said though, I imagine it was just an idiotic joke gone terribly wrong, rather than accidental or malicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Also being said that the guy was dressed as a sheep, so I suppose that explains a lot.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Where does it say he was set on fire, your the only one saying that, what proof have you..........

Boards.ie is not the only news source around.

As bad as it sounds I actually have a video of people trying to put him out :-/ I didn't know at the time that a person was on Fire I thought someone had set off a firework or something similar :-/ feel really bad about it now. But again hoping he makes a full recovery

I trust you passed this video on to the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Boards.ie is not the only news source around.

Granted, but if you're posting on here with, what seem like groundless statements like that, it would be an idea to state were you got the information from. You could be right, but others could take it as rumour mongering, especially when such a serious incident is involved.

There have been numerous reports that the fire was set intentionally. I really hope this wasn't the case, but if it was, I hope someone gets arrested for that.
    I trust you passed this video on to the Gardaí.

I second this. Stop whatever you're doing now and go to the Garda station and show them the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Heaso77

As bad as it sounds I actually have a video of people trying to put him out :-/ I didn't know at the time that a person was on Fire I thought someone had set off a firework or something similar :-/ feel really bad about it now. But again hoping he makes a full recovery

Hey any chance I'm in that video on fire? I was the gingerbread man and iv burn marks all up my back. Hope the lad is okay.

I'm about to call the station and ask if they want the video, then I'll pop down, I don't need a moral bashing from people online thanks

It's good that you don't, but there is unfortunately a lot of people who would. At least there are people who still don't. I hope the video helps them.

I'm about to call the station and ask if they want the video, then I'll pop down, I don't need a moral bashing from people online thanks

No one is giving you a moral bashing.

Good on you for bringing it to the Guards.

You know what the online world is like - There are people who would put such a video up on You Tube first and only think about the victim's welfare later. Good to know you're not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Where does it say he was set on fire, your the only one saying that, what proof have you, maybe there were lit candles or something else caused this horrible incident. Pray he recovers ok

Ahh, yeah, if I was running a crowded nightclub on a night when it would be busy, and lots of people would be wearing flamable costumes, then sure I'd put candles around the place.

:rolleyes:

We cannot know if this was premeditated, or just pure (possibly drink-or-drug fuelled) stupidity.

But I think we can be pretty sure that the costume ddin't spontaneously combust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The linked article states "A 21 year old man is in a critical condition at University Hospital Galway after his Halloween costume caught fire overnight."
    Does anyone have a source that says otherwise? If so link it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This will definitely result in stricter policies regarding halloween costumes in nightclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

biko wrote: »
    The linked article states "A 21 year old man is in a critical condition at University Hospital Galway after his Halloween costume caught fire overnight."
    Does anyone have a source that says otherwise? If so link it here.

Checked all the times, indo, examiner, galwaynews & galwayindepenent online stories, all stories just state that the gardai are investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Victim was a 3rd year Med student. He was set alight by someone who has since handed themselves in to Gardai.

Source: http://twitter.com/endacunningham

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

soundbyte wrote: »
    Victim was a 3rd year Med student. He was set alight by someone who has since handed themselves in to Gardai.

Source: http://twitter.com/endacunningham

F*ckin hell, whoever that Enda Cunningham is he needs to cop on and not be posting some of the things he's saying - family or friends of the victim could be reading his twitter... very tasteless and insensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

I encourage anyone else who does have videos or photos to pass them on to the guards. They may seem like nothing to you but may provide answers to how this happened, any may lead to justice, if the incident was malicious.

Just spoke to some of the staff, many of them being friends of mine from when I worked there, they are all in a shocked state, some of them with injuries ascertained while trying to extinguish the flames.

I wish the man a full recover. I can't image my own life changing so drastically in a matter of seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Zzippy wrote: »
    F*ckin hell, whoever that Enda Cunningham is he needs to cop on and not be posting some of the things he's saying - family or friends of the victim could be reading his twitter... very tasteless and insensitive.

Crazy posting by that guy completely senseless, he should know better, some posts are very hurtful if any members of the poor guys family see them. If its true about another person handing themselves in thats two families lives ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

Hi, would you pass on this video to Mill street

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Zzippy wrote: »
    F*ckin hell, whoever that Enda Cunningham is

He's a journalist with the Connacht Tribune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

He's a journalist with the Connacht Tribune.

Doesn't make the posts any less insensitive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement