Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Costume goes on fire

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Zzippy wrote: »
    F*ckin hell, whoever that Enda Cunningham is he needs to cop on and not be posting some of the things he's saying - family or friends of the victim could be reading his twitter... very tasteless and insensitive.

Disgraceful posting on behalf of the journalist.Making prognosis as if we were a doctor involved is just so disrespectful. The advertiser fb allowed some extremely distasteful posts and left them in place for several hours too. We really should be able to expect a bit more responsibility from these people. We don't tolerate the likes of it on boards in sensitivity to friends and relations in these circumstances, you'd think professionals would have at least as much decorum. I am quite sickened at Enda Cunninghams posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

He's apologised for the posts and said they were supposed to be private mails to another tweeter. I'll add idiotic to tasteless and insensitive from my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Bit late now to say sorry when I am sure a lot of the poor lads friends saw those posts. Does not bear thinking about, I am so angry with him.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

what did the posts say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Honestly what's wrong with some people? My cousin told me about his friend who was also set alight on Saturday while attending a Halloween party, ironically he was dressed as a sheep too. Some girl thought it was hilarious to stick a lit cigarette to the back of his costume, i'm sure many laughs were had as he rolled around on the floor :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some posts removed. When there is news from Advertiser or similar reputable source, please PM me to re-open.

I've been PMd some info http://www.galwaynews.ie/28610-halloween-horror-man-engulfed-fireball
    The NUI Galway student, named last night as Matthew Sheridan, suffered horrific 80% burns after his costume turned into a ball of flames in the busy Halo night club on Abbeygate Street at about 12.20am.

Before you post, remember that Matthew's friends and family may be reading this thread. Do not speculate or add any rumours to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

That poor fella,
    I hope he can pull out of this and manage to get his life back together.
    Halo have serious health and safety questions to answer,where were the fire extinguishers and why were there active candles openly lit around the premises when people were wearing extremely flammable clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

where does it say it was caused by a candle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/medical-student-severely-injured-as-sheep-costume-goes-up-in-flames-3280400.html
    GARDAI have spoken to several students who attended a nightclub where a young man was left fighting for his life after his Halloween costume caught fire.

A number of third-level students in Galway have come forward to officers in the city after Matthew Sheridan (21) received critical burns at Halo nightclub during a fancy-dress party.

Mr Sheridan, a medical student from Cabinteely, Dublin, was last night in a critical condition at St James's Hospital in Dublin.

Investigating gardai are satisfied that the fire in the popular nightclub was not set maliciously and it is understood that the incident is being treated as accidental.

The Irish Independent has learned that the injured man was wearing a home-made 'sheep' costume, most of which was made from cotton wool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

God! What a terrible accident. Probably a prank gone wrong. I hope he pulls through this and makes a recovery. Sending all my best wishes to him and his family and friends during this very hard time for them.

For the person who pranked him, I hope he too, is being minded well by his/her family and friends. He went out on Halloween night, not setting out to do this and he/she will have to live with the burden of what he/she did. At the end of the day, it's all down to alcohol no doubt. Everything is hilarously funny when you're fuelled on booze and seemingly playing with fire is too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How do you know it was a prank ? How do you know alcohol was involved?

It seems I must repeat myself
    Do not speculate or add any rumours to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 misterjoe40

i don't get how this could happen in a busy nightclub. health and safety in that place much be a joke. i find it hard to believe that no one could get to a fire extinguisher or there was on one to dump a few pints of beer on him. whatever about the guy that turned himself in to mill st. i think halo has a lot to answer for and it should be shut down till they have a full fire safety review.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

i don't get how this could happen in a busy nightclub. health and safety in that place much be a joke. i find it hard to believe that no one could get to a fire extinguisher or there was on one to dump a few pints of beer on him. whatever about the guy that turned himself in to mill st. i think halo has a lot to answer for and it should be shut down till they have a full fire safety review.

Ridiculous..I knew Halo would take stick for this from people looking for something to blame. If a person is wearing an extremely flammable costume and some retard decides to set fire to it that is not the nightclubs fault, no health and safety setup would prevent that, bar they ban lighters and matches in nightclubs. It would have been the same outcome if it happened in any bar, nightclub or even the street, nobody is responsible for the behavior of complete idiots, apart from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

You're speculating. I have spoken to the staff myself, some of them being injured as a result of trying to extinguish the flames. Try yourself to fight through a crowd, who presumed (quoting from another poster) that it was a stunt, with water or an extinguisher (which you are advised to not use on a person - use a blanket) - it's near impossible with that many people. I'm sure everyone was in shock, including the staff, and I've no doubt, knowing many of them personally, that they did their best given the situation, which, literally happened in seconds.

The minute it was posted that it was 'an accident' people moved on to blame someone else. Stop looking for someone to point the finger at, just hope that this young man is a strong person and pulls out of this.

Ridiculous..I knew Halo would take stick for this from people looking for something to blame. If a person is wearing an extremely flammable costume and some retard decides to set fire to it that is not the nightclubs fault, no health and safety setup would prevent that, bar they ban lighters and matches in nightclubs. It would have been the same outcome if it happened in any bar, nightclub or even the street, nobody is responsible for the behavior of complete idiots, apart from themselves.
    Actually I think you are way off the mark.
    Halo have a duty of care for their patrons and staff,serious questions must be asked of this care.
    Placing candles around the location whilst revellers were wearing flammable costumes,negligent to say the least.
    Where were the fire extinguishers when this poor chap was on fire,a member of staff should have got to him post haste being the night that was in it they should have been on alert for something like this and known exactly where each fire point is,I have been to halo and failed to see any visible fire extinguishers.
    I would say a health and safety investigation has already been done on this incident and halo might yet face a lawsuit from the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Sappa wrote: »
    Actually I think you are way off the mark.
    Halo have a duty of care for their patrons and staff,serious questions must be asked of this care.
    Placing candles around the location whilst revellers were wearing flammable costumes,negligent to say the least.
    Where were the fire extinguishers when this poor chap was on fire,a member of staff should have got to him post haste being the night that was in it they should have been on alert for something like this and known exactly where each fire point is,I have been to halo and failed to see any visible fire extinguishers.
    I would say a health and safety investigation has already been done on this incident and halo might yet face a lawsuit from the family.

It's a nightclub, the design is a massive part of it and customers are not supposed to be able to see the extinguishers.

And where are you getting the idea of a candle? There is no information saying this.....

foxy_19-89 wrote: »

It's a nightclub, the design is a massive part of it and customers are not supposed to be able to see the extinguishers.

And where are you getting the idea of a candle? There is no information saying this.....
    A friend of mine was in there,he said they had candles placed around the club.
    Fire extinguishers are supposed to be highly visible with signs pointing to them and clearly marked for such purposes.
    They are breaking every fire safety law if they are hiding them for aesthetic reasons,haven't you ever heard of the stardust incident and hence the regulations in place for entertainment venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Dave0301

All the blame being aimed at staff etc could it not also be said that if you dress up as an extremely flammable object you should stay away from naked flames?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 misterjoe40

to say nothing about letting too many persons in the club making it imposable to make it throw the crowd.

Speculation closed this thread. I assume it's just natural to throw ideas around but tbh it's not something we welcome here after such a horrific incident.

Hopes of a speedy recovery to Matthew.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement