Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviews are out

Options
  • 01-11-2012 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Eurogamer

IGN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

xbox360achievements:
    90/100

Gamespot UK
    9.0/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

cannot wait for this, a few crazy scores i think but in general it seems like its going to be great, cant wait to get stuck into the new look multiplayer

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    cannot wait for this, a few crazy scores i think but in general it seems like its going to be great, cant wait to get stuck into the new look multiplayer

IGN wet themselves all over it in their video review. It can't be as good as that, but they've certainly got me hyped for it now.

Its a shame that firefight was taken out. That was my favourite part of reach multiplayer.

Am not sure about the new kill streak perks, along with more loadouts. I hope they've resisted the temptation to go call of duty with the franchise. I always liked that halo multiplayer was a level playing field and skill and tactics were the only things that made a difference. I hope that hasn't changed.

Am not sure about the new kill streak perks, along with more loadouts. I hope they've resisted the temptation to go call of duty with the franchise. I always liked that halo multiplayer was a level playing field and skill and tactics were the only things that made a difference. I hope that hasn't changed.

ye im hoping the same thing, from the looks of it, i could be wrong though, the 'killstreaks' are more just weapon drops rather than call in a pelican with guns blazing. Although IGN were a bit fan boy ish about it all, the other reviews iv seen on it have all said the multiplayer is fantastic so lets hope they are right

ye im hoping the same thing, from the looks of it, i could be wrong though, the 'killstreaks' are more just weapon drops rather than call in a pelican with guns blazing...

Theres a piece in CVG about some of the changes. I'm a bit concerned about how the weapon spawns and player respawns are being handled. Weapons are not respawning after X amount of time in a particular spot anymore, they're being dropped in at random intervals and places on the map. That's going to change the strategies around controlling power weapons, which I thought was one of the funnest parts of the game before.

As well as that, you can now press x to respawn straight away, no delays. It remains to be seen how that will affect the game depending on how well spawn points have been implemented. I hope they're better than reach, otherwise it'll be "die, respawn immediately, kill the guy who killed you before he reloads/recharges".

On the plus side, one of the new armour abilities is x-ray vision through walls and around corners, so camping looks like it'll be no more.

http://m.computerandvideogames.com/343115/halo-4-multiplayer-ditches-firefight-gets-spec-ops-new-details/

• Advertisement

lets just hope that it was given a very in depth testing and they know what they are doing with the new multiplayer features. and hopefully once the game is out in the wild and has millions playing it if there is any major flaws then they can be fixed...hopefully. we only have a few more days to wait to find out

Quote from telegraph.co.uk's game reviewer. Exactly what i had been worrying about :(
    ...The competitive multiplayer, meanwhile has seen some key changes from the series legacy. Most notably Halo 4 has adopted the Call of Duty template in terms of progression, with all the benefits and pitfalls that entails. You now have fully customisable loadouts, and have to earn experience points to unlock new weapons and armour perks. It’s as compelling a meta-game as it always has been, with a drip-feed of shiny new things keeping you invested in your character. However, it does impact on the purity of Halo’s multiplayer somewhat, as there is now not as much battlefield scavenging and players do not begin matches on an even footing in terms of equipment...

I liked the way previous Halo games gave you a level playing field. If i wanted perks and customisable loadouts and weapon unlocks, i wouldn't have traded in Call of Duty Black ops. Time will tell, but i think 343 should have kept halo doing it's own thing, kept it unique instead of trying to copy what COD is doing.

i saw a video recently of some of the developers playing it i think and they were asked about that idea of levelling up to get guns etc and then said that you get the guns pretty quick and it does level out quite quickly. hopefully they are right because like you Mackdaddi I dont like the idea of starting off when its not a levelling playing field especially when im no great shakes at it myself, i play for fun but dont like getting slaughtered all the time because someone has a better gun than me which they got for playing it 5 times as much as i do. we can only hope.

i play for fun but dont like getting slaughtered all the time because someone has a better gun than me which they got for playing it 5 times as much as i do. we can only hope.

Exactly. I don't have time to stay online all day grinding for points and levelling everything up like a lot of fanboys do. That means that after a couple of weeks the multiplayer becomes redundant for guys like me because as well as having had loads more practice, those guys now have better guns, camo, abilities, whatever, and can just slaughter us casual players for fun. There's no co-op firefight mode to fall back on in this one either.

It's worrying. Let's see though. I'm still gonna buy it for it's single player story and give the multiplayer a whirl, i just hope this isn't the beginning of a descent towards game breaking perks and player configurations like COD that mean a team with the right combination of loadouts can steamroll everything in their path (remember dual wielded semi-automatic shotguns in black ops? :mad:)

Holy crap, everything in this game SOUNDS fantastic. Surround sound headphones FTW. Graphics aren't bad either, it's a very pretty game.

I'm waiting for it to get going, played it for a bit last night but only got as far as
    getting off the forward unto dawn and getting pulled into the gravity well and onto the planet's surface

I'm just starting to come across the first waves of
    covenant resistance on the planet, elites, jackals, etc
    . There's been nothing too taxing so far, although i have died from too much running and gunning a couple of times, rather than hanging back and playing tactically :D. Heroic seems like a nice difficulty level as usual, not too easy, not too tough, but time will tell...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Holy crap, everything in this game SOUNDS fantastic. Surround sound headphones FTW. Graphics aren't bad either, it's a very pretty game.

I'm waiting for it to get going, played it for a bit last night but only got as far as
    getting off the forward unto dawn and getting pulled into the gravity well and onto the planet's surface

I'm just starting to come across the first waves of
    covenant resistance on the planet, elites, jackals, etc
    . There's been nothing too taxing so far, although i have died from too much running and gunning a couple of times, rather than hanging back and playing tactically :D. Heroic seems like a nice difficulty level as usual, not too easy, not too tough, but time will tell...
    one review said that heroic has been bumped up to legendary toughness while normal is the new heroic.

y'all may tell me how accurate that is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

kaimera wrote: »
    one review said that heroic has been bumped up to legendary toughness while normal is the new heroic.

y'all may tell me how accurate that is

Hmmm, if that's true Legendary must be pretty damn hard so

I though Reach on Legendary was MUCH easier than Halo 3, looking forward to getting stuck into this tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Heard rumours of valhalla being back can anyone confirm this?

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Heard rumours of valhalla being back can anyone confirm this?

Yep. Had a mess around in it last night in forge. Pretty accurate remake, very well suited to team games as before. The default map has a beast of a machine in it called a mantis. Basically it's the evil robot from robocop, or the mechanical fighting machines from Avatar. You jump in and pilot it's four limbs and it walks like your spartan does, only more terrifyingly. It's got a 50 cal chain gun on one arm and a 5 shot rocket launcher on the other that fires in single shots or a 5 shot barrage, and it tramps around with a huge robotic thump.

It's gonna be a bitch in multiplayer games. It looks like H4's version of the hornet from Halo 3. So annoyingly good as an infantry support vehicle that it will have to be toned down.

Advertisement