Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnamese food.

Options
  • 01-11-2012 10:26am

I discovered a new place yesterday.
    Aobaba on capel street.
    All its options come with a fake meat version.
    I thought some people here might be interested. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds great thanks! Now to find a menu and also to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

the website is UK but includes the Capel st shop. No actual mention of the veggie option but I don't doubt you ;)

http://www.aobaba.com/index.html

ok... found something!

http://www.aobaba.com/choices/vietnamese_baguette.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Heard about this place, I can't wait to give it a go!! I've never had Vietnamese food. I'll be interested to see what their mock meats are like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I had vietnamese food for the first time in Berlin two years ago and I count it as one of the best meals of my life, so must try this place out! The restaurant was Monsieur Vuong, apparently a favourite with Bruce Willis when he's in town!

I had vietnamese food for the first time in Berlin two years ago and I count it as one of the best meals of my life, so must try this place out! The restaurant was Monsieur Vuong, apparently a favourite with Bruce Willis when he's in town!

Wow! That place looks fabulous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Wow! That place looks fabulous.

Cost me less than €10 for a glass of wine and a delicious, filling main. For €15 in Dublin you'd be expected to call that a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Beware of fish sauce. When I was in Vietnam I was loving the food, and tofu options were everywhere. Then a chef told me the Vietnamese put fish sauce in everything, including their coffee. So just be sure to ask! And let us know!

Breezer wrote: »
    Beware of fish sauce. When I was in Vietnam I was loving the food, and tofu options were everywhere. Then a chef told me the Vietnamese put fish sauce in everything, including their coffee. So just be sure to ask! And let us know!

Urrggh ......fish coffee?

Good point!
    I was caught out with that in a korean place recently. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Urrggh ......fish coffee?
    Apparently. And they really didn't get the vegetarian thing: this was a chef who had travelled the world, spoke perfect English, had a cookbook in English and ran cooking classes for Westerners with veggie adaptations of all the recipes. Beyond "tofu instead of meat," the concept just seemed completely alien to her.

Now, Vietnamese food is delicious, and once I'd explained the concept the chef was very willing to swap fish sauce for soy sauce, which worked a treat. So don't let it put you off, just be really specific about ingredients!

Breezer wrote: »

Fish sauce is delicious.. My gf makes unbelievable tofu with it. Pretty much all the best Vietnamese dishes have some in them and it's by far my favourite cuisine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Fish sauce is delicious.. My gf makes unbelievable tofu with it. Pretty much all the best Vietnamese dishes have some in them and it's by far my favourite cuisine.

You do realise this is the Vegan & Vegetarian forum right?

Nope.. I just saw the thread in search results and didn't even check forum! Thought it was just a general dislike of fish sauce so posted.

Advertisement