Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which ipad

• 01-11-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Thinking of getting an ipad for someone from Santa;),whats the difference in the ipad2 and the ipad with retina blabla,and would 32gb be enough for general use ??
    More than lightly would be purchased in the states(one with 0% tax:eek:),would this matter if i wanted to use it here.
    Theirs also a version with wi-fi and one with wi-fi and phone something or other,whats this ??

Sorry for the questions,
    As ye can tell i'm not really into all this,
    Any help would be appreciated as i dont want to spend that much on the wrong one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Haven't got one but generally anyone with an iPad 2 say the screen is amazing and don't see the need to get the iPad 3 which is very heavy and takes forever to charge. There's a 4th Gen one released last week and is also just called iPad. The iPad 3 had the same name.

All are available in wifi only or wifi and cellular which means you can stick a sim in and use Internet out and about. I think they come in 16 32 and maybe 64gb memory aswell and the latest 2 have Siri.

There's also an iPad mini which seems to be a smaller iPad 2. If u was getting one I'd probably go for an iPad 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Where in the states can you buy one with 0% tax?

Stores in america advertise the tax-free price but then add it on at the till, each state have their own state tax.

also you'll need to declare that bad boy coming back into the country and pay the VAT on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Forget the iPad 2 - it's two generations behind now. Either buy the mini, or the latest iPad (not the "3" which they don't even sell anymore). The screen is fantastic on the full iPad, but the mini is very lightweight and more compact.

As for the size (GB) or whether you need 3G, only the person using it can answer it. Basic usage without the need to store loads of music/movies on it and you'll get a way with 16GB. And unless they want to travel a lot with it and need it to be hooked up constantly (and pay a monthly fee) then wifi only is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

Where in the states can you buy one with 0% tax?

New Hampshire and Oregon. Apple have very thoughtfully located their two NH shops just over the border from Massachusetts (Salem and Nashua).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

guil wrote: »
    anyone with an iPad 2 say the screen is amazing and don't see the need to get the iPad 3

I have an iPad 2, the missus has a 3 and there is no comparison, the 3 is far superior.

And that's part of the reason I'm upgrading to a "4" in t-minus 15 minutes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Xavi6 wrote: »

I have an iPad 2, the missus has a 3 and there is no comparison, the 3 is far superior.

And that's part of the reason I'm upgrading to a "4" in t-minus 15 minutes :D
    As I said I don't have either and just go on what I've read but it's good to know all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

also you'll need to declare that bad boy coming back into the country and pay the VAT on it.

lol is all I have to say to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

thewing wrote: »
    lol is all I have to say to that!
    well of course if you want to run the risk of not being spot checked then be my guest. advising the OP of doing anything other than declaring imported goods is against the law and thus against the rules of boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I am not advising anything, but I just find your statement amusing.

If every piece of clothing, electronics and other equipment was declared on flights returning from the US, we probably would have enough in the state coffers to pay off the national debt.

I would never advise the OP to break the law. I would simply advise them that they should make sure they recycle the packaging as soon as they acquire their new iPad, as they don't need to be laden down by the bulk of it upon returning home.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ok each factor needs to be taken into account.

For comparison sake the iPad mini is pretty much an iPad2 with a smaller screen. The smaller screen makes the lack of retina less noticeable.

iPad3 is much faster then the iPad2 and the graphics are incredible.

iPad4 is supposed to be 2.5 times faster then the 3 and comes with better wifi, cameras and a new charger.

3G - personally I wouldn't bother with if you have a phone with a data plan that allows tethering. You are unlikely to use the 3G enough to justify the monthy cost of a data sim.

Sizes.
    16GB - if you are mostly reading, casual gaming, consuming content online.

32GB - average trade off. Allows a fair number of games and movies that you are unlikely to get bored.

64GB - unless you are heavy duty creating, hard core gaming or just like to horde stuff you will never use, then this is the one to get.

Personally I'd recommend the mini over the ipad2 otherwise go for ipad3 to save money, or ipad4 for the best at everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Milesandmiles

We have 2. Both are IPad 2. One is 16gb, the other 32gb. The 32gb was bought first. Neither have 3G. If the iPad has 3G it basically means you don't need to be connected to WiFi to access the internet. If you are buying in the States there is no point in buying 3G as you would have to sign up with a US network (I'm open to correction on this).

The 16gb is perfectly adequate for us but the thing is you can't upgrade the memory like you can if you were buying a PC. If you are in any doubt go for 32gb. Ours are used for Internet, apps - mainly children's ones and Netflix. We have about 1000 photos and about 100 apps. There's 6gb of 16gb still available on this machine. There was only ever 13.8gb of usable space so we're just over half full on this one.

I bought one in the US while there for Thanksgiving. They were reduced in price for Thanksgiving so you may want to wait a few more weeks. They were also on special here last year for thanksgiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Thanks to all for the advice,I'm going for the ipad 4,with 32GBs,in Oregon,and of coarse i'll be paying the tossers that root through your bags a big fist full of my cash that i was already taxed through the bollix on:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:but i appreciate where your coming from,saying that,with no packaging it would be impossible to prove that i hadn't brought it out with me.

Advertisement