Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Case Suggestions

Options
  • 01-11-2012 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

I need to replace my PC case as its falling to pieces (cheap box) with many screw mounts threaded or damaged.

its used as a HTPC and the only noise i really get are case rattles because i cant mount the components properly.

im looking for
    • a well built case, no flex, long lasting, etc build quaility is priority
    • its an ATX size motherboard and i need good clearance for my cooling
    • 1 optical drive bay & 1 hard drive bay only needed
    • not ugly, but rather not spend money on a "beautiful case" as it will not be on display
    • budget is up to 150, but the less the better, second hand is fine too if anyone knows of something for sale

I can't think of anything else that might be important on the list, but the main reason im posting is the build quality problem, buying badly has left me needing to replace a case after only a couple of years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Richardb98

I have used one of these before, they are nice simple design on the exterior, and have enough room inside (as long as you aren't wanting to go for anything fancy).

Touch on the pricey side on pixmania, but you can get them 2nd hand sometimes.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11388284/art/fractal-design/define-xl-pc-tower-case-b.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The Fractal Design Define XL is a big case and way over spec for the OP.
    I would go for the Fractal Design Define R4 based on the OP's requirements since it's going to be used as a HTPC the R4 is a very silent case. If the R4 is a bit pricey the R3 is a slightly older model of the R4 and there is very little differences between them.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/fractal-design-define-r4-titanium-grey-mid-tower-case-86VX.html?src=15

Another case worth looking at if silence is something that's important to you, is the Corsair 550D. It's another great and very silent case but a little more expensive than the Fractals.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    The Fractal Design Define XL is a big case and way over spec for the OP.
    I would go for the Fractal Design Define R4 based on the OP's requirements since it's going to be used as a HTPC the R4 is a very silent case. If the R4 is a bit pricey the R3 is a slightly older model of the R4 and there is very little differences between them.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/fractal-design-define-r4-titanium-grey-mid-tower-case-86VX.html?src=15

Another case worth looking at if silence is something that's important to you, is the Corsair 550D. It's another great and very silent case but a little more expensive than the Fractals.

That is very true. Its a much better choice, I had a bit of a brain fart on my side and forgot about size :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thanks guys, appreciate the replies, some nice looking cases there.
    would kind of trying to be going smaller though, the R4 and the 550d both take up 10 drives it looks like.
    the R4 looks perfect, but would like to shave a few inches off the overall size by reducing expansion options, if there are any suggestions in that size range

starting to think, looking at options, that the case spec i really want mihgt not even exist and that i should look at downsizing the MB at the same time as purchasing the case to give me better options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I was thinking the same thing. The R4 is a biggish case but even if you went with the smaller ones, it's still only 1 or two bays that you can shave off before you go to the limits of ATX.

If the primary function is HTPC, I'd go with mini-ITX but if it's serving as a desktop too and you need expansion, mATX is fine and you have some nice cases to choose from like the define mini.

this is how it always starts...
    need a new case, oh, better get a new MB, hmm, might get a new proc too.
    oooh, ram is gone quite cheap...

dammit!

subway wrote: »
    this is how it always starts...
    need a new case, oh, better get a new MB, hmm, might get a new proc too.
    oooh, ram is gone quite cheap...

dammit!

Lol yes this is always the way it starts lol

If you want to stay with the ATX board you could do with the Zalman Z9
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10344834/art/zalman/z9-pc-tower.html

Its cheap and surprisingly well made (I used one on my first ever PC self build). Its a little bit smaller (only just) Fractal Design Define R4.

Advertisement